Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think there is a correlation? I've observed, just from hanging out in different forums, that some types just thank more than others. What I have observed personally: ISFP, ISTP, and ENFP do not thank posts very often, but ISTJ's and INFJ's are quite generous with them. That's the only forums I hang out in much, so I don't know the others very well, but maybe someone can add to this.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
INFPs tend to dole out lots of thanks to each other, especially on posts that they see as being emotionally vulnerable and honest. "Thanks" on the INFP board seem to be a means of supporting each other or indicating that you can relate to what is being said.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I know I don't give thanks lightly. When I do, it's mostly on what I deem to be a useful post, or when someone says something that I would have said.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I find myself giving not nearly enough thanks to people. I read so many wonderful and strong posts on this forum yet often neglect to show my appreciation sufficiently. So, I guess this is an apology in a way and a promise that I will keep working on it.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
INFPs tend to dole out lots of thanks to each other, especially on posts that they see as being emotionally vulnerable and honest. "Thanks" on the INFP board seem to be a means of supporting each other or indicating that you can relate to what is being said.
Yeah, I'll thank a lot more posts on the INFP subforum more than anywhere else, usually as a shorthand for saying "I relate to (agree with) this" without having to post. Outside of there, it has to be more useful and well thought out.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I find myself giving not nearly enough thanks to people. I read so many wonderful and strong posts on this forum yet often neglect to show my appreciation sufficiently. So, I guess this is an apology in a way and a promise that I will keep working on it.
At first, I was pretty stingy with the "Thanks." I dunno, I didn't want to seem soft, and I usually try to be careful about what I attach my name to (even a handle).

·
Banned
605 Posts
I thank posts for all kinds of reasons. If the alternative is to quote them and do little else, they'll get a "thank" instead. There are always exceptions though...

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Post made on INFP forums seem to get the most thanks. INFJs and INTJs also give out a lot of thanks. But then you have to remember that all these three MBTI types are the most likely to type themselves according to theory and so most likely to hang out on this forum, hence of course posts made on their subforums will receive many thanks simply because more people are reading them.

I also noticed that introverts tend to write more volume, while extraverts tend to write shorter posts and on weekends their forums get more depleted. This may also influence the thanks given.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
It's not a very big deal. I thank things I agree with and appreciate and move on. Consequently I thank a lot of posts I see. I see message boards as conversations, and a thanks as the recognition that I have read and comprehended what they have said. Especially people who have taken the time out to respond to me.

Personally, I wish that "thanks" were invisible and only the author could see what posts of theirs were thanked and that the total amount of thanks given and recieved were also only able to be seen by only the user theirself, and by no one else. There have been comments made towards me that made me quite uncomfortable because of thanks. I don't make a big deal out of thanks, yet other people seem to :\

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I'm kind of ambivalent towards the Thanks feature on here. I think its good to be able to thank people for particularly good posts. On the other hand, I'm sure it could be misused- people thanking *people* they like rather than *posts*. Or people start getting anxious when they post something they think is worthwhile and wonder why no one is thanking them.

I'm also ambivalent towards having the number of times you've been thanked with the number of posts thanked. Chances are more reputable users will probably have a larger number of thanks relative to their post count. On the other hand, there's people like me who get kind of neurotic about those sorts of things. I know its kind of silly, but I look at my ratio of posts to thanks and I've noticed I'm not getting thanked as much relative to the number of posts I have compared to a lot of you and I start to wonder if there's something in the way I'm posting that's stopping me from getting more thanks. Of course I'm fairly new and I have a low post count so it probably doesn't mean that much.

Personally, I prefer the reputation feature. Another forum I'm on doesn't have a Thanks button but you can always add to the person's reputation by pressing the reputation button. There's no point system to it and only you know when others have given you 'rep'.

As far as thanking others, I do it when I see a post that I think is particularly interesting, amusing, or helpful. Sometimes I read kind of fast so I tend to forget to thank people at times that are well deserving of it. I'm getting better about stopping to thank people more.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I hadn't realized until now that I've given out a pretty large number of 'thanks'...about 7.5k.
I usually thank posts that are funny(intentionally or unintentionally), are informative, that I agree with, that I like, or that are in response to a post of mine and I want to acknowledge that I read it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm kind of ambivalent towards the Thanks feature on here. I think its good to be able to thank people for particularly good posts. On the other hand, I'm sure it could be misused- people thanking *people* they like rather than *posts*. Or people start getting anxious when they post something they think is worthwhile and wonder why no one is thanking them.

I'm also ambivalent towards having the number of times you've been thanked with the number of posts thanked. Chances are more reputable users will probably have a larger number of thanks relative to their post count. On the other hand, there's people like me who get kind of neurotic about those sorts of things. I know its kind of silly, but I look at my ratio of posts to thanks and I've noticed I'm not getting thanked as much relative to the number of posts I have compared to a lot of you and I start to wonder if there's something in the way I'm posting that's stopping me from getting more thanks. Of course I'm fairly new and I have a low post count so it probably doesn't mean that much.

Personally, I prefer the reputation feature. Another forum I'm on doesn't have a Thanks button but you can always add to the person's reputation by pressing the reputation button. There's no point system to it and only you know when others have given you 'rep'.

As far as thanking others, I do it when I see a post that I think is particularly interesting, amusing, or helpful. Sometimes I read kind of fast so I tend to forget to thank people at times that are well deserving of it. I'm getting better about stopping to thank people more.
yes yes, I get neurotic about it quite a bit. glad to read this.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I've been here a few months and only noticed the "Thanks" button last week. (Yes, I'm thick like that). Since then, I've been "thanking" people like it's going out of fashion. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Do you think there is a correlation? I've observed, just from hanging out in different forums, that some types just thank more than others. What I have observed personally: ISFP, ISTP, and ENFP do not thank posts very often, but ISTJ's and INFJ's are quite generous with them. That's the only forums I hang out in much, so I don't know the others very well, but maybe someone can add to this.
I would guess that types with Fe would do it more often because they're natural tendency to "take care of the group".
I know I hit that "thank" button quite often even if I don't make a comment on the topic.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I've been here a few months and only noticed the "Thanks" button last week. (Yes, I'm thick like that). Since then, I've been "thanking" people like it's going out of fashion. :crazy:
Don't worry I didn't notice it either until I had been on the forum for like 2 months at least. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts