Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've noticed, SP's usually like sports as well as many SJ's. Although, I have found that many intuitives could usually care less about sports? Comments?

Reactions: Leroy

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've read that a large majority of collegiate scholarship athletes and surfers are ISTP.

For most sports you need to be in the "now" and able to react instantly to whatever happens. There's also the huge parts that competitiveness and aggression (physical and/or mental) play in most sports. That combination would seem to focus in on a few personality types while almost completely excluding others, though I don't know enough about this stuff yet to really comment on which ones...I'm still busy gathering ISTP info.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've never had an interest in team sports but I do enjoy watching surfing, skating, bmx, etc. I would say that that is partially due to the fact that sports are not pushed on girls the way they are on boys.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I love sports and I'll watch pretty much anything. I don't play very often though, and most of my friends aren't/weren't into them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was on the Cross Country and Track teams in high school, and was in the Ping Pong (is that even a sport!?!) club in college. Now I getting into tennis. I got into extreme sports, which i was only decent at. Solo sports or small teams appeal more to me. I think part of the problems of youth sports now is that the teams are so hard to get on that it basically disenfranchises all those those that were just average, like myself. I was poor at soccer but I couldn't even make the jv team because of the stiff competition. As far as type goes, I read somewhere that Peyton Manning was an ENFP, so it may not be all about type but training.

·
MOTM Aug 2010
1,412 Posts

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm really interested in martial arts, and so is my sister who's an INTJ. I think that different types would be drawn to different sports for different reasons.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think part of the problems of youth sports now is that the teams are so hard to get on that it basically disenfranchises all those those that were just average, like myself. I was poor at soccer but I couldn't even make the jv team because of the stiff competition.
Pardon me for going off subject, but just needed to comment on this part of your post. Being a teacher, I can tell you that the pressure on the kids for these teams is too high. I have seen a student in elementary school quit guitar lessons because his soccer team practiced/had games 5-6 days/week. Unfortunately, this is not all the uncommon. As a music teacher, sports are often our nemesis due to the intensive schedules. Heck, even the kids who don't play are affected due to the sports schedules of siblings.

Once again, sorry for getting off subject, but this post was beckoning me!!!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I love PLAYING sports, & just look at my sig to see how much a "sensor" I am. lol

Tennis, surfing, snowboarding, skiing, basketball, lacrosse, hockey, swimming, acrobatics, rock climbing, anything! Though only casually. I never was serious about anything, in fact I've never even been on a sports team. Not for long anyway... too much commitment and grunt practice. I'm a weekend warrior.

And watching sports is boring as shit. Why would I want to watch OTHER people run around and have fun?

(Though that also applies to shit that chicks like to watch...like The Hills...it's like, don't you have your own social life? Why watch a series dedicated to a stranger's social life? uh le YAWN.)

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm really interested in martial arts, and so is my sister who's an INTJ. I think that different types would be drawn to different sports for different reasons.
I study martial arts, too. Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan. I'm drawn to any sport with strong physical contact.

I'm not too into watching sports, though.

Pardon me for going off subject, but just needed to comment on this part of your post. Being a teacher, I can tell you that the pressure on the kids for these teams is too high. I have seen a student in elementary school quit guitar lessons because his soccer team practiced/had games 5-6 days/week. Unfortunately, this is not all the uncommon. As a music teacher, sports are often our nemesis due to the intensive schedules. Heck, even the kids who don't play are affected due to the sports schedules of siblings.

Once again, sorry for getting off subject, but this post was beckoning me!!!
I'm a professional drummer and I played sports in school. I have a 4.0 average for all of my music classes, including Music For Pre-Ed Majors.

Though, I agree. One of the singer/songwriters I used to work for has her three kids running ragged with at least one, if not two, sports for every season. The middle child wanted to learn an instrument and mom, who is a musician said, "you don't have time". The little girl said, "I'll quit soccer, I don't really like it anyway." "No, you're not quitting soccer." I think it's the sport parents that are living vicariously through their kids more than the sport schedules.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Though, I agree. One of the singer/songwriters I used to work for has her three kids running ragged with at least one, if not two, sports for every season. The middle child wanted to learn an instrument and mom, who is a musician said, "you don't have time". The little girl said, "I'll quit soccer, I don't really like it anyway." "No, you're not quitting soccer." I think it's the sport parents that are living vicariously through their kids more than the sport schedules.
I always stress to my students who are involved in sports and on the fence about making a choice between the 2 is that a lesson requires only 1 thirty minute/week set schedule for the lesson itself. Everything else can be fit into a daily schedule that is convenient for their daily practice. In addition, concussions, as one student told me happened to her sister playing soccer, broken bones etc will never happen playing music.

In a way, I have seen the vicarious thing with guitar students, but in a positive way. I have had students get some pretty nice guitars because the parents are just so happy that the kids are doing well and as kids, they gave it up. I've never seen a parent tell a student they couldn't stop unfortunately. I have seen students who want to quit when they realize, in about the first month, that it requires practice. I always tell them, "If it were easy, everybody would do it."

·
Registered
815 Posts
I generally don't like playing competitive sports because people take them too seriously. I also happen to detest team sports.

I enjoy casual badminton, cycling, and watching some motor sports (ALMS & top fuel drag racing).

·
Banned
166 Posts
I'm a ENFP, and I think I tried pretty much every sport existing (and even some that dont exist) but the MAX I spent on one was... 8 months. xD
surprising for my type right

·
Registered
469 Posts
LOL, I'm the kid no one wanted on their team, ever. The only sport I ever did that I was any good at was fencing. Maybe it was the footwork and the need to intuit what the opponent was doing? Well, anyway, when I did this in high school I beat everyone except for this one girl, who was a hulking Amazon and who had no inhibitions about using the foil as a slashing instrument. Rather than let her decorate my arm with red stripes I allowed her to win. So much for fencing :)

I am physically active, but what I most enjoy are long walks and hiking in the woods. When I was younger and in better shape I also used to backpack.

As a spectator, I only watch sports when the Olympics are on. I especially like figure skating. Yeah, go ahead and laugh, that is just so damned INFP of me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
never been a big sports fan, but I'm increasingly beginning to care!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts