Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that with learning anything, I tend to do better in teachers classes who are iNtuitive, and not sensing. I tend not to do as well with sensing teachers. Also, I find it easier for me to teach iNtuitives better than sensors as well. Perfect example.....

Just last week I was helping an ESTP friend of mine complete a powerpoint presentation. He did the presentation on zebras. I will add that the presentation did not have to be on a specific area of zebras, the topic was very broad. He then asked me how I would go about doing the presentation. I told him that how I would make the powerpoint presentation, is to just generalize all the information and put a lot of different information down about Zebras to excite the class. He told me that he found that to be a stupid idea and wanted to only put information on one specific topic "The habitat of Zebras". I told him that I wouldn't do it this way personally, but still agreed to help him. He then just completed the powerpoint and put the information down almost exactly "specifically" how they had it, and just changed the words up a little bit.

However, I find when teaching iNtuitives it is a lot easier and we have the same way of learning and comprehending.

Also, I once had an ISFJ teacher who taught me psychology. I know that she was an ISFJ because we talked about the system in class and she told the class point blank that she was ISFJ. She made us do a report on a specific psychological aspect and had to be very specific with this report. This was very hard for me and I wound up getting a crappy grade on the report. Everything in her class was on very specific information, and I struggled with her class.

I also have an ENFP speech teacher and I know this because he also knows about he system and said point blank that he's an ENFP. He always wants us to generalize information, and it is an easy class for me, and I'll probably wind up with an A.

I've found in general though that with iNtuitive teachers I tend to do better in general. However, I believe that I can do good with some Sensing teachers, if their multiple intelligences teaching style matches my learning style. For example, I once had an ISFP art teacher who of course always taught with visuals which I do well with. Also, I once had an ISTP martial arts teacher whom taught in a purely kinesthetic way by just doing things. I learned well from both of these people.

What are you thoughts on this matter?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I have only performed to my maximum ability with my Maths, History and Physics teachers. The Maths and Physics ones were INTJs and History was an ENTP I believe.

I seem to do better with Ns yes.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only performed to my maximum ability with my Maths, History and Physics teachers. The Maths and Physics ones were INTJs and History was an ENTP I believe.

I seem to do better with Ns yes.
Yeah, I think that subject should also be taken into consideration. For example, I had an INTJ teacher last semester and still failed the class. Hell, I even had an ENFJ math teacher the semester before, and it was a real struggle to teach me material as well. I just suck at math no matter what.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Yeah, I think that subject should also be taken into consideration. For example, I had an INTJ teacher last semester and still failed the class. Hell, I even had an ENFJ math teacher the semester before, and it was a real struggle to teach me material as well. I just suck at math no matter what.
It depends on the teaching quality as well.

All 3 of those teachers were superb.

But my Physics teacher last year was another INTJ and he was terrible. I done average at best with him.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on the teaching quality as well.

All 3 of those teachers were superb.

But my Physics teacher last year was another INTJ and he was terrible. I done average at best with him.
True, I had another INTJ friend who personally tutored me in math and got through to me. It was hard, but he got through to me. Of course the fact that I had about a 5 minute attention span before I got off topic, went and started up a conversation with someone, or just did something stupid just for laughs pissed him off though. In addition, my ENTJ little brother (pulp fiction fan on this site) tried to teach me as well, and that went to hell. The session just ended with him calling me an absolute dip shit, that I have the attention span of a baby rodent, and that I was absolute destined to fail the class. He sucked as a math teacher for me.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Being a high school math teacher myself, I will start by saying that there are so many tons of different factors outside of type that play into the education setting that it's hard to look at type by itself, especially because it's not just about the material itself, but also the social environment of a class. When you mix in things like standardized testing, school rules and expectations of principals/district officials, it's hard to relate a teacher's teaching style directly to type.

For example, SJ' teachers may value consistency and details more than other types. But a lot of that has to deal with the student environment: If directions on an assignment aren't clear, and if the grading isn't done in a consistent manner, students (and for that matter, parents) might complain about the teacher being unfair and unclear in the way they handle their assignments and grading, and it's very hard to explain it. (It's not like I could say to a parent: "Oh, I graded your child's paper this way because he's an SJ, but I graded this other student's paper this way because she's an NT." :p )

However, I will say that when it comes to one-on-one tutoring and explaining, the way type comes out is a lot easier to see and the impacts are much more clear, because then the teacher has a lot more flexibility and the situation is more isolated from outside factors. In those cases, I definitely agree with the points in your first post about how it's easier for someone to learn with someone who teaches in a manner that matches what's easiest for their type.

Of course, it takes some flexibility on both sides. Teachers should certainly make an effort to be able to teach to a variety of student's learning abilities and need to be able to adapt how they explain things. And students do need to realize that they can't always rely on what's more comfortable for them and work to improve their other types of thinking.

It's really like any other relationship...both sides need to be able to make some compromises and try to understand the other person.

Reactions: Old Intern

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Your ESTP student was exhibiting pragmatism, or at least that is the way he saw it.
Plagiarism is more of an issue today than ever?

Anyway, this doesn't mean you failed him as a teacher. You were helping him and if you were grading it, he could be penalized for laziness I suppose. Truth is though we ENTP's struggle with knowing when enough is enough too. I like working with an ESTP when I know speed matters. Expecting the depth or quality I would do myself is not what I would delegate to ESTP. At some point, people have the strengths they have and it is a waste of energy to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts