Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay. I just have to say this.

Yes, you will have "function clashes" with another personality type occasionally. It does happen. However, every single personality type can get along and become friends. It's not impossible. Just because we perceive the world differently and judge things differently doesn't make friendship impossible. Seriously, functions do not say who you are and who you aren't going to get along with. The times when we have trouble really getting along with somebody is if the person is type FAIL: immature, perhaps raised badly, unhealthy, and various other things. Those are legit reasons why you don't get along with somebody.

Type should not be used as an excuse for who we cannot date/marry or get along with.

Also, personality type does NOT tell you how intelligent you are capable of being, your ability to be logical/rational, or your ability to take into consideration somebody's feelings (not sympathizing or empathizing, exactly -- simply taking that into consideration). It does not tell you who you are as an individual. It does not tell you that you are or are not unique. Your interests are your own. Some types do gravitate to certain subjects, but on the whole, as I said, your interests are your own. Not your personality type's.

Type "rarity" really shouldn't mean that much. We are all born a certain way. You know, it's like thinking you are more special than somebody for being born with blue eyes when somebody else was born with brown eyes. There is little point. Of course we can celebrate our differences and all. That's fine. We are all unique fingerprints. We are all individuals.

That is all I have to say. You are free to add on to this if you wish.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
I have to disagree because your cognitive functions conflict with my cognitive functions. It's just as simple as that. Go ahead and try to explain it away but in my small-minded experience with a limited amount of people, I clearly know what I'm talking about.

/every typist ever

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I think it's great as an aptitude system.. It can be applied in the work place with great success in understanding management and employee communication styles.
I think as a psychology tool it is far too flawed with too many holes to be worth much. It's a good base..But way too much is left open to interpretation.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I think it's great as an aptitude system.. It can be applied in the work place with great success in understanding management and employee communication styles.
I think as a psychology tool it is far too flawed with too many holes to be worth much. It's a good base..But way too much is left open to interpretation.
Agreed. It's just a great way of seeing that people can be different from you and still be right. Understanding the differences between people rather than berating them from not seeing things the way I do. A measure of the similarities and differences between people, but certainly not rigid boxes to put people in.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I agree. And I need to work on that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I completely agree.

The different personality types are basically just how you perceive information and how you judge it afterwards. Doesn't say jack shit about things like intelligence.

Furthermore, MBTI is by many considered pseudoscience, since it can't really be falsified (and it is also easy to get mistyped), so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Okay. I just have to say this.

Yes, you will have "function clashes" with another personality type occasionally. It does happen. However, every single personality type can get along and become friends. It's not impossible. Just because we perceive the world differently and judge things differently doesn't make friendship impossible. Seriously, functions do not say who you are and who you aren't going to get along with. The times when we have trouble really getting along with somebody is if the person is type FAIL: immature, perhaps raised badly, unhealthy, and various other things. Those are legit reasons why you don't get along with somebody.

Type should not be used as an excuse for who we cannot date/marry or get along with.

Also, personality type does NOT tell you how intelligent you are capable of being, your ability to be logical/rational, or your ability to take into consideration somebody's feelings (not sympathizing or empathizing, exactly -- simply taking that into consideration). It does not tell you who you are as an individual. It does not tell you that you are or are not unique. Your interests are your own. Some types do gravitate to certain subjects, but on the whole, as I said, your interests are your own. Not your personality type's.

Type "rarity" really shouldn't mean that much. We are all born a certain way. You know, it's like thinking you are more special than somebody for being born with blue eyes when somebody else was born with brown eyes. There is little point. Of course we can celebrate our differences and all. That's fine. We are all unique fingerprints. We are all individuals.

That is all I have to say. You are free to add on to this if you wish.
It would seem that the majority of people to agree with you are feelers. This would make sense to ME, since I consider feelers to be more accepting of others or at least they TRY to be more accepting... where thinkers will prefer to work/converse/be around others who are like-minded so that the conversation "makes sense".

So I have to agree with @Fizz on this one.

Although I CAN get along with anyone and accept (or try to accept) their behaviour, there are people who I will choose to be around more then others, and people I don't want to be around at all, because I don't see the point to it.

Just like in a relationship, I wouldn't want to be with someone who I can't talk to and be on the same page with, it's the same with friends. It took me a long time to finally accept my sister's different style of talking/living because I HAVE to live with her. Would I choose to be around her if I had a choice? Not so much... Only because I love her, but she drives me nuts and we don't get each other, where my other sister and I are on the same page and I can talk to her for hours...

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
It would seem that the majority of people to agree with you are feelers. This would make sense to ME, since I consider feelers to be more accepting of others or at least they TRY to be more accepting... where thinkers will prefer to work/converse/be around others who are like-minded so that the conversation "makes sense".

So I have to agree with @Fizz on this one.

Although I CAN get along with anyone and accept (or try to accept) their behaviour, there are people who I will choose to be around more then others, and people I don't want to be around at all, because I don't see the point to it.

Just like in a relationship, I wouldn't want to be with someone who I can't talk to and be on the same page with, it's the same with friends. It took me a long time to finally accept my sister's different style of talking/living because I HAVE to live with her. Would I choose to be around her if I had a choice? Not so much... Only because I love her, but she drives me nuts and we don't get each other, where my other sister and I are on the same page and I can talk to her for hours...
I think you misunderstood Fizz's meaning.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
This echoes my thinking and has inspired me to hurry up and write my "What Typology is Not" thread.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Yes, yes I believe she was. (I wonder why people frequently get the impression Fizz is a male?)
OH! LOL I always thought @Fizz was male. Sorry Fizz! I have no idea why I thought that. I do it all the time, too. :))

Well then... I misunderstood what SHE was trying to say and also her gender.

I'll go hide in a corner now.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OH! LOL I always thought @Fizz was male. Sorry Fizz! I have no idea why I thought that. I do it all the time, too. :))

Lol, it's all right, no need to hide in a corner. XD

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts

*waggles nonexistent penis*

It's a common mistake, I don't know why...

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
Yes, yes I believe she was. (I wonder why people frequently get the impression Fizz is a male?)
SERIOUSLY. I get this all the fucking time and I don't even understand it. Fizz isn't really that masculine of a screen name, my picture is an ambiguous dog, and I have my pink Venus symbol up.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
SERIOUSLY. I get this all the fucking time and I don't even understand it. Fizz isn't really that masculine of a screen name, my picture is an ambiguous dog, and I have my pink Venus symbol up.
For me it was your avatar, for some reason that dog looks really mean and manly lol. I didn't even notice the red thing on its head..and what is that, a wig?
But ya, you would think the sparkles by your name would make me think twice about it... but no.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
For me it was your avatar, for some reason that dog looks really mean and manly lol. I didn't even notice the red thing on its head..and what is that, a wig?
But ya, you would think the sparkles by your name would make me think twice about it... but no.
I just chose the dog because it was amusing more than "mean" :tongue:

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
I agree with you as well @Julia Bell. I think it's interesting that @Life.Is.A.Game mentions that feelers seem to agree. I'm really clearly an ENTP irl, yet I tend to score fairly highly on Fi. It's apparent in my writing to the point that a number of people have suggested that I am an Fi user. I clearly use it, albeit not in any direct connection with other function--I do support statements like yours.

I find typing useful to understand others and explain why their minds work as they do. I find it useful for self-improvement. I also think it's fairly incredible that in all our diversity, across so many cultures, throughout time, we conform to these basic patterns. They often describe our minds and psychology so accurately that it's scary, and I feel as though much can be gained through understanding this. That's why I study the Myers-Briggs, cognitive functions, and the Enneagram.

But in no way, shape, or form should we begin to stereotype/reject others based upon our (sometimes incomplete or biased) knowledge of these patterns. It's truly a misuse when people are typed as a 6 because they're being "defensive" or when Sensors are claimed to be "less intelligent" than iNtuitives, etc. It's also blatantly incorrect to assume that two people won't get along based on typing alone. Character counts, background counts, socio-economic status, upbringing, and an individual's own interests, values, belief systems, and personal philosophy all count. Will some of those be according to type? Probably there's a vague correlation...but type doesn't explain everything.

It's important to be open to the individual as well as aware of the pattern s/he fits. Our types are not the only factors in our lives; they are one of many.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts