Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came out of a period of being absolutely crushed by stress, so I figured this would be a good idea now and just going over this one topic would be a lot less long-winded.

What vaguely happened was I had my heart set on something. My mental health was probably the best it had been in a year while I thought it was going to happen because I could just relax and try to entertain myself day by day knowing there was something coming up for me in the near future. Problem was, I didn't read the fine print, I didn't do the proper research, I didn't realise I didn't meet the qualifications for it, so then I ended up having to come to terms with the fact it couldn't happen, that the future I had been imagining for myself for months wouldn't happen. I took that terribly and got really depressed over it.

Two different alternate options popped up, I dismissed them both from the start, saw nothing but negatives because they weren't what I wanted ideally. Inside my head I was thinking, 'No, I'm not going to move there. I don't want to settle for less. I won't make friends there. I don't want to make friends there. I refuse to make friends there. I refuse to move there.' Very stubborn. Kinda self-defeating. Not wanting to make do with less.

I went back and forth for the next month between both options, was incapable of taking action, dragging my feet, getting nowhere. Tried to work towards one, then realised just how much I didn't want it, so knocked that option out and finally started to see positives in the other one.

Throughout all this I kept going to other people who had experience with this and tried to ask them for help, advice, emotional support. I preferred asking them over researching it myself - I wanted to know what their actual experience of it was like over just reading words on a website that were trying to advertise themselves to me, plus I also felt overwhelmed about it all. I think I'm the type of person who likes to have a picture in my mind of what a situation I might put myself in is like.

I ended up not doing either option because I realised it was just causing me stress and I had ran out of time to realistically commit to doing either. Now I have another option offered to me by a friend to prepare for over the next half year, so I've calmed down and feel more optimistic.

Now here's another situation where I also was really stressed out and how I reacted to it:

After I graduated high school a couple years ago, I got hit by really bad existential anxiety. I was being plagued near constantly by this little voice that would pop up to remind me that I was mortal, “you’re wasting your life”, etc. I think part of my problem was that I wasn't handling well suddenly not having that structure I had had with being in school and I also had no plans and that wasn't helping either. So how I ended up dealing with it that summer, not being ready to start making plans for what to do with myself, was I decided to at least try to have some fun in the present. How I did that was I started hanging out with an acquaintance from high school, driving around, playing Pokemon Go, taking walks, all really late at night. This friend of mine was the kind of person who would say, “Hey, why don’t we go up to this cemetery at night on a mountain because it has a gym barely anyone knows about up there!” (which wasn’t the best place for me to go with the kind of anxiety I was trying to distract myself from but it was still fun) or “Hey, why don’t we go explore this alley!” It ended up being pretty fun. It felt like I was exploring a side of myself that I hadn’t ever really explored before. Though it didn't entirely make my anxiety go away. The second I came home it'd be back.

Here’s something else that causes me anxiety that is semi-related to all that:

I knew someone who liked to talk about how they wanted a world where you basically didn’t need to work, your needs are provided for for you so it's not necessary to, they could just be lazy, do whatever they want with themselves... and personally, I found that idea horrifying. Like nope, I don’t want to just sit around, have a peaceful life, do nothing with myself. I feel like I would need a purpose, something to do with myself. I don't really like the idea of there just being "peace" in general. I feel like if all there was in life was that, people would go insane. All of our books and movies and etc revolve around having a conflict to solve and I feel like life is the same.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts