Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hmm... I've been typed as a 6 in the past, so I was curious to see if you guys came to similar conclusions and it's reasoning.

I have reached a conclusion that I am a type 1, but perhaps I misinterpreted my thought process and what it really means to be type 1.

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
I'm looking for my place in society to spread the quality of work with others for their betterment. To contribute to something I believe in.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
I hope to make everyone better for what I'm able to contribute. In the end I will be able to tell myself that I was part of the solution of humanities existence than the problem.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I don't want to be someone who lacks care for others in their actions because intent is what really matters. If you have poor intent and conduct yourself that way for a long enough period of time society removes you because you're a danger and need to be taught a lesson. Most often society has great common sense and is close enough to a correct solution to live with.

I don't want to be someone who believes whatever someone else tells them. I've tried to become a more practical, grounded, and have a more can-do attitude so I've taken on a more realistic and discerning approach to matters to act more appropriately. For this reason I am rebellious to others' words because I have worked the logic and I've come to a point in which I trust my conclusion. If you know something is right then don't be timid about fighting for it.

To be uncontrolled and brash is the worst kind of person. I admit when I am hurt I will have this feeling driven reaction but it is not capable of being stopped because I've lost concern for the opposition, then when I'm given time to understand where I over compensated I come to terms with it and right my wrongs. For this reason objectivity is clung to and I often am told that I'm insensitive. I guess the thing to take away from this message is that I hold myself and others responsible. When this process doesn't go smoothly I become forceful, though I try to keep a cool demeanor to keep cooperation amongst parties.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
I have a fear of not being capable of making the impact in which I desire. Not being prepared enough to perform at the level in which I aspire. To let down others because I have not served them well enough. To not be appreciated for all that I can offer.

To not be someone who can face reality.

To not be able to see the big picture and see how small I am within it. To act selfishly because I must fulfill my needs.

To be too timid to not fight people when the time comes to teach others a lesson, and allow them to get away with whatever they please.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I see myself as someone who carries there own sense of right and wrong. I am not holy. I've divorced Christianity become I've learned others' standards are not to be my standards, and I can't live with the idea of condemnation for things I cannot stop. I stopped apologizing to god for unchangeable occurences, and am not of the belief that the world can work in such a way of apologizing and being granted forgiveness when you're going to repeat the mistake tomorrow. I serve my own ideology and understanding of how the world works.

EDIT: Others see me as a constant worker and have no idea why I do what I do. END EDIT

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
I love a hard days work when everything goes just right. When you don't create problems for yourself, and people don't expect you to work at a higher level than what your complete effort is able to create. When my bosses at work ask me to pick up extra responsibility though I'm already carrying too heavy of a work load I am known to take it very personally and become aggressive. I'm not fired because they can see how much I change the place and the impact my efforts make.

7. Describe how you experience each of:

a) anger; When things go wrong I review the past and try to work out solutions, and this applied to my shortcomings, others shortcomings, others' wrongdoings, and my own lack of control.

b) shame; I apologize and find a way to not create this feeling. If I can't avoid such feelings through minor changes I make larger changes, like how I broke off from religion.

c) anxiety. I feel it's like there is always a mechanism inside of me pulsating creating a will for change or something that I cannot control. My mind jumps from issue to issue often because they're present in my life and I need to find conclusion. That is part of why I am so active in the forums. I need to find answers.

8. Describe how you respond to each of:

a) stress;I have a lot of it. I work harder and it gets relieved through achievement.

b) unexpected change; I deal with it as it comes. I can be rather inflexible, so I gain anxiety from the need to adjust. Everything is a system though, so it's just a matter of setting guidelines for yourself to act accordingly to.

c) conflict. I hate it, but I do it to make myself more comfortable with the issue taken.

9. Describe your orientation to, and how do you respond to these? :
a) authority; They are someone I put up with given they don't always act favorable to what I believe. I also use authority to enforce my will and teach lessons.

b) power. It's there and a measure of trust, ability, and competency we place on an individual. I consider people just to be playing a role though. Power means little to my desires.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
People in general are self-serving, and it takes a noble person to look past their needs and see the big picture of how things should work to benefit all of humanity. This is reason I wish I could agree with communism. Since people are less than ideal we created capitalism so that people may only think about themselves and we tweak it to make up for their narrow views.

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.

I'll copy and paste this from another thread:
Wake said:
My childhood experience had an insecure CP6 cousin. He wasn't very nice to others, and was never parented well so he makes for a bad example of this type in general. He was brash and aggressive you could explain him as having an 8 in his tritype in his will to fight for his own well being, but he was a needy coward deep down. While growing up I was still uncertain of my ideology and how I should interact with the world. As I matured I grew more confrontational and strained by resentment but I never became violent because I have something against lowering myself to his uncontrolled ways. The more coldly logical and primal side of my wishes I did something horrible to him, which would either scar him for the rest of his life or end his life for the wrongdoings. The other side tries to have faith in my decision not have taught him a lesson of such magnitude and let him learn on his own, and the family around him to put up with his ways. He got something up his ass a few Christmases ago during small talk and started conflict with me and we got into a skirmish. I told his mother he was a piece of trash. He continues to show his classlessness when given the chance by not going to relative's funerals or family gatherings.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
Given proper understanding I trust myself very much. I generally trust others to do what I think they should do in situations. I try not to rely on trusting people I don't know though.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like about yourself;
I like how cautious I am, yet it creates problems sometimes, but it's for the best.

b) dislike most about yourself.
How I can't always understand things well enough to act most appropriately in all situations. I'm always trying to become a little more focused and experienced to read things better.

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
Uncertain. People think changes take place without changing dynamics of other processes taking place, and are never aware of how complicated things actually are. Even in personality typing. People think that another typology is a good thing, but it just makes the overall view of what creates the way you act less transparent. What I see in the world is that every action has a vast reaction, and you must control it for everything to go well.

Seeing the truth and accepting it is something I really admire. To face reality with your ego removed is always a desire. Most people can't stomach such things.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel?
If he speaks the truth I agree with him. If not I discard him action as being based upon a misinterpretation.

What if they compliment you?
I thank them for noticing.

Follow up questions are appreciated, and each conclusion should be given at least a brief explanation given I have a fair understanding of each type.

@Swordsman of Mana shown care for this subject in his wing debates.

@cyamitide, @Rim, @Spades, @jbking, @timeless, @MoonLight are of the people I am most interested in getting feedback from regarding how my typing, and similarities regarding their experience, and those of the same type. I'm concerned with why I am different than other people, and why this is the case.

EDIT: Any insights to Socionic typing Cyamitide? I'm still trying to grasp the theory to understand its conclusions and be certain of a type.

·
Banned
891 Posts
@Wake

Lots of interesting stuff in there. I think type 2 may be an alternative possibility, based on some of the content. 1 is still possible, considering your love of structure. Type 3 *may* be a possibility, so might 6. Those are the types that seem most likely. I'll look at that post again. Which do you think motivates you more: shame or anxiety? Judging by your post, it looks like one of those may be at your core. Anger, less so. I could be completely wrong though.

Which do you fear more: becoming a bad person, or losing safety/security? For me as a 6, I must, must have a consistent environment. I've often needed reassurance that things will be okay- or in my case, not get worse (lots of stuff on my plate). And one of my worst fears is ending up homeless.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Wake
1w2 So/Sp not sure of trifix yet, though I'm leaning 2 as your hear fix by process of elimination
We've glossed over wings in the past. What is the deciding factor for wing 2 for you? I've read many definitions without a deciding factor in there to separate the two.

I'll wait and respond to many people's opinions and questions at the same time. I prefer to allow more points to be made before I confirm or deny anything, perhaps a more thorough analysis before I count any out with feedback.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I am new to this enneagram stuff, but Ill try to offer a helpful opinion

One of the more revealing things when I was filling out this questionnaire was how I described the feelings of anger, shame and anxiety. Anxiety got only a short paragraph, and shame hardly a few lines. I wrote a whole two paragraphs on anger and how it consumes me at times. It seemed obvious to me after I wrote that, that I am an anger type. You did not quite have such a passionate/intimate descriptions of anger. It was very dry and clinical. So that would seem to me that either you are very, very good at supressing those angry feelings or anger is not your go-to emotion. Anxiety seemed to have a more personal influence in its description.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am new to this enneagram stuff, but Ill try to offer a helpful opinion

One of the more revealing things when I was filling out this questionnaire was how I described the feelings of anger, shame and anxiety. Anxiety got only a short paragraph, and shame hardly a few lines. I wrote a whole two paragraphs on anger and how it consumes me at times. It seemed obvious to me after I wrote that, that I am an anger type. You did not quite have such a passionate/intimate descriptions of anger. It was very dry and clinical. So that would seem to me that either you are very, very good at supressing those angry feelings or anger is not your go-to emotion. Anxiety seemed to have a more personal influence in its description.
I'm more critical than I let on. Things going wrong means not the way I think they should.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
1w2 seems obvious, so is the 6w5 fix. As for heart fix, I could see 2w1. 3 ..I don't see the image related themes at all. From interacting with you Wake, I can tell that you're too straight forward (As in way too straight forward lofl) to be a 3w2 fixer. I don't see any 4. You are a lot of things, but silver tongued devil..I don't see that. Since you know the 3 fixation better now, I won't get into the theoretical stuff.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1w2 seems obvious, so is the 6w5 fix. As for heart fix, I could see 2w1. 3 ..I don't see the image related themes at all. From interacting with you Wake, I can tell that you're too straight forward (As in way too straight forward lofl) to be a 3w2 fixer. I don't see any 4. You are a lot of things, but silver tongued devil..I don't see that. Since you know the 3 fixation better now, I won't get into the theoretical stuff.
I've always considered it an extension of my type 1. I work to make things better, particularly ones that help people. In general I do things to the betterment of others. I suppose I look for acceptance for what I can contribute to others. That probably falls into a 2 category.

·
Registered
ENTP 648 tritype The Truth Teller so~sx
1,476 Posts
@Wake, I'd like to ask some things... How anxious do you think you are? Do you avoid things because you don't feel comfortable about doing them even when you would like to do them? Why? What do you really dream about in your life? What do you think of having children of your own?

I was pleased to read about you here but I was a bit surprised, I didn't notice that much One but Six. I also think it's 1, 2 and 6 like you did by yourself and like @Boss also thought. But somehow I think you seem more like 6 than 1. Those can be hard to differentiate, especially if so/sp or sp/so - only my personal opinion though. But I'll tell you a little story :)

Somehow I thought you reminded me of my SO, he's probably so/sp Six. He thinks a lot about society and his personal responsibilities. Doing his duty in this society is his goal. He considered being type One for a long time, doing his part and doing it extremely well is important to him and he wants to develop himself further and further... And he was such a moralist before he met me ;) But it's the being sure that defines his actions even more. He isn't anxious like I am, he keeps it more inside, but he worries a lot, wants to check things, wants to know things ahead so he can be prepared for everything. I think he's ISTJ.

Btw, somehow I thought I noticed Ni in your post... Do you know your cognitive functions?

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
First reaction is 1w2, 1 and 2 are very obvious in your post. For head fix type 6 with a 5 wing seems to be the best choice but it isn't obvious in most of the post. I had some thoughts about E3 as your heart fix, but then went back to 2w1. Unsure about that. Essentially I agree with @Boss.

I will try and get into details once I'm back from work (9 hours), but 1w2 seems to be your core.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Wake, I'd like to ask some things... How anxious do you think you are?
When I'm not working on something I feel a desire to be productive in moving forward with my understanding. Even hobbies feel like there is a drive to complete them.

When I am working it's about doing everything right. I actually do that 6 thing where I imagine how wrong things can go because I screwed up. I've always understood it as part of that ripple effect I see take place from my actions.

Do you avoid things because you don't feel comfortable about doing them even when you would like to do them? Why?
We all procrastinate or get side tracked. Other than that I try to face problems head-on.

What do you really dream about in your life? What do you think of having children of your own?
Becoming a college professor or aim lower as a system administrator for a company.

Depends on my partner and happy if not.

I was pleased to read about you here but I was a bit surprised, I didn't notice that much One but Six. I also think it's 1, 2 and 6 like you did by yourself and like @Boss also thought. But somehow I think you seem more like 6 than 1. Those can be hard to differentiate, especially if so/sp or sp/so - only my personal opinion though. But I'll tell you a little story :)
From my readings of other people's writings sometimes it is about how they state things which tells the meaning behind the message. 1s have an attachment to principles, and 6s to the issue of trust and anxieties impact on actions.

Somehow I thought you reminded me of my SO, he's probably so/sp Six. He thinks a lot about society and his personal responsibilities. Doing his duty in this society is his goal. He considered being type One for a long time, doing his part and doing it extremely well is important to him and he wants to develop himself further and further... And he was such a moralist before he met me ;) But it's the being sure that defines his actions even more. He isn't anxious like I am, he keeps it more inside, but he worries a lot, wants to check things, wants to know things ahead so he can be prepared for everything. I think he's ISTJ.
He could very well be a 1. You should force him to get an account going and make a thread. I worry a lot also, when somethings bothering me it must find a conclusion or I maybe able to take a stand and find a way to escape the frustration.

Hehe, 6w7's and 7w6's have a way of loosening the strings ;) 6w7's I've noticed have a warmth to them that allows us to become more intimate and adventurous. 7w6s are opposites so we need to find a way to tame each others' extremes.

Btw, somehow I thought I noticed Ni in your post... Do you know your cognitive functions?
I'm an ISTJ so my function order is supposed to go Si, Te, Fi, Ne, but I've known them to go more like Fi, Te, Ti, Si. I don't debate the MBTI because I don't believe it is a proper interpretation of the personality. It is telling though, but to be correct you must either have psychology or science firmly backing you. I think Enneagram is worthy of being an ideology, therefore, capable of support by psychology.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First reaction is 1w2 ...
1w2 seems obvious ...
I'm not good with people at all, and I can be warm but you have to be very close friend or intimate to get that out of me. I don't identify at all with most of the 1w2 descriptions.

1w9 is considered a solitary idealist, vaguely speaking, something I identify to a much greater degree with.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I'm not good with people at all, and I can be warm but you have to be very close friend or intimate to get that out of me. I don't identify at all with most of the 1w2 descriptions.

1w9 is considered a solitary idealist, vaguely speaking, something I identify to a much greater degree with.
That would leave 2 heart fix as the alternative. 1w9 2w1 6w5 so/sp best guess. I don't know about the instincts thou...I still doubt mine.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
@Wake
I don't sense any 9 in your responses. You're going solely by outward behaviours and impressions. 1w9 partner has a very calming and relaxed presence. 1w2s can be more uptight; they "glow" with warmth when they express it. All of your service oriented aspirations and drives point away from w9 and towards w2. Your "zealousness" and pushiness in a conflict; the quickness with which you make it all personal (don't take this as an offense, btw) is not at all indicative of the intellectual/emotional detachment of the 9 wing. The harder you try to push logic, the more your emotional defenses start to waver and collapse.
The 6w5 can explain what you feel is "coldness". Also, 2w1 is not the charmer. It's 2w3. So, that could also explain it.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Wake
Your "zealousness" and pushiness in a conflict; the quickness with which you make it all personal (don't take this as an offense, btw) is not at all indicative of the intellectual/emotional detachment of the 9 wing. The harder you try to push logic, the more your emotional defenses start to waver and collapse.
That is a misinterpretation. That is a strong will to fight for something and then a loss of will to argue. I consider it an offensive against the person, but not personal and I uphold decency as I may become aggressive.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
@Wake
I don't sense any 9 in your responses. You're going solely by outward behaviours and impressions. 1w9 partner has a very calming and relaxed presence. 1w2s can be more uptight; they "glow" with warmth when they express it. All of your service oriented aspirations and drives point away from w9 and towards w2. Your "zealousness" and pushiness in a conflict; the quickness with which you make it all personal (don't take this as an offense, btw) is not at all indicative of the intellectual/emotional detachment of the 9 wing. The harder you try to push logic, the more your emotional defenses start to waver and collapse.
The 6w5 can explain what you feel is "coldness". Also, 2w1 is not the charmer. It's 2w3. So, that could also explain it.
This does make sense. I didn't see any 9 in the post either.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
That is a misinterpretation. That is a strong will to fight for something and then a loss of will to argue. I consider it an offensive against the person, but not personal and I uphold decency as I may become aggressive.
Oh, it is very personal. Upholding decency shouldn't involve making personal slights against your opponent. That can come a lot quicker from 1w2s because of the interpersonal connectivity involved. Now, I don't want to turn this "personal", so I am dropping the issue for I have better things to do than deal with defensiveness;).

p.s. Decency isn't just about not swearing and acting like a crazed buffoon in an argument. You can be very civil and polite and still personalize a conflict. "Making an offensive against the person" aka ad hominem fallacy is "personal" (come on now). It is irrational and out of place in a formal argument. 1w9s owing their detachment are better able to avoid this relative to most 1w2s. this is pretty standard.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Wake
I don't sense any 9 in your responses. You're going solely by outward behaviours and impressions. 1w9 partner has a very calming and relaxed presence. 1w2s can be more uptight; they "glow" with warmth when they express it. All of your service oriented aspirations and drives point away from w9 and towards w2.
Hmm... I try to be expressive so that people do see that I have a personality. My will to work and goal oriented mindset creates something which normally keeps me shut off from the world. I consider my expressions to be a showing of my good nature with friends that good will shows more, most get a trustworthy openness.

The 6w5 head preference you mentioned, I just call it a goal-oriented mindset in a 1's drive. I suppose I am giving serious thought to whatever the objective is and how it needs to be done right. *shrug*

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, it is very personal. Upholding decency shouldn't involve making personal slights against your opponent. That comes a lot quicker from 1w2s because of the interpersonal connectivity involved. Now, I don't want to turn this "personal", so I am dropping the issue for I have better things to do than deal with defensiveness.
Hmm... a venting of my characterization of the person was all slights have been about in the past *shrug* If the person knows about it maybe they can try to set me straight or learn to hate me because I dislike them for who they are.

p.s. Decency isn't just about not swearing and acting like a crazed buffoon in an argument. You can be very civil and polite and still personalize a conflict. "Making an offensive against the person" aka ad hominem fallacy is "personal" (come on now). It is irrational and out of place in a formal argument. 1w9s owing their detachment are better able to avoid this relative to most 1w2s. this is pretty standard.
Hmm... I get nasty when I truly think the person is outright malicious in their actions. A level of condemnation is placed on them and I express legitimate hatred towards them. I consider that to be breaking any code of decency. To just call someone out on a specific incident and characterize it is viewed in a totally different light.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Boss, I suppose you did have a very valid point about how 1w9s carry themselves. When I watch videos of them I sit there and wonder how resentment could have shaped their personality, they're so calm, then get to wondering if they're actually some sort of 5w6.

I watch 1w2's videos and see someone I can identify with, though they're normally a bit more preachy than I feel comfortable being.

I'm sure there is a better explanation than wing to justify such variations within a type, but blending of the types will have to settle for now.

Thanks for all of your input. I don't mean to give off negative or ungrateful signs though I'm arguing points with you.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts