Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having a little trouble finding my "correct" personality type.
A year or so ago, I would consistently score INFP. Now I keep scoring ISTP, and unless I'm mistaken, these are two wildly different types. I'm pretty confident that I'm introverted and perceiving because I'm quiet and "flexible", it's just the sensing and thinking that bother me.

I'm not entirely sure what the sensing or intuition do. On the official PerC quiz, I got an exact 50/50 split on the N and S. I took it a second time and got the same result. I like to wing things and I rarely plan ahead. It's common for people to comment on my lack of common sense and I daydream a lot.

The F and T are also a problem. Is impulsiveness an F trait? What does it mean if I recognize that I'm acting irrationally, but can't do anything about it? I consider the logical and objective approach to be the best, but it's never that easy. I don't like to show affection, but I also don't like to criticize people. I'm pretty sensitive to criticism; I think I'm just insecure. I'm rarely hostile; I've never been in a fight.

I like to learn about how things work. Right now I'm trying to figure out how my personality works. I like to take things apart, and sometimes put them back together. I like to program. I've read that these are very ISTP-like traits.

Aside from my daily walk, I spend almost all of my time in front of a computer. I don't like to watch sports, and I have never tried to play one. I don't ride a motorcycle, and I don't like to parachute off skyscrapers. I don't hunt because I don't like to kill things. I am definitely not the bad-ass ISTP's are said to be.

Well, that's sort of a mouthful. I don't normally write this awkwardly but whatever. So do you guys think I'm an ISTP after all? I don't know, I've thought about this for too long. Maybe you guys can help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went through a self development process called the hoffman process,
my guides there said mbti changes, and they even tested people before and after the process and it was diferent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe that's because they understood themselves better after the process and so were able to answer the questions more accurately.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
We don't know you and can't really type you. Read the descriptions and read up on the cognitive functions associated with each type. See which one fits you best. Below are some pretty basic and generic descriptions to get you started.

INFP

Dominant: Introverted feeling (Fi)
Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation. With Fi as their dominant function, INFPs live primarily in a rich inner world of emotion.

Auxiliary: Extraverted intuition (Ne)
Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using “what if” questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action. INFPs engage the outside world primarily with intuition. They are adept at seeing the big picture, sensing patterns and the flow of existence from the past toward the future.

Tertiary: Introverted sensing (Si)
Si collects data in the present moment and compares it with past experiences, a process that sometimes evokes the feelings associated with memory, as if the subject were reliving it. Seeking to protect what is familiar, Si draws upon history to form goals and expectations about what will happen in the future. This function gives INFPs a natural inclination toward "other-worldliness" and makes them more easily distracted.

Inferior: Extraverted thinking (Te)
Te organizes and schedules ideas and the environment to ensure the efficient, productive pursuit of objectives. Te seeks logical explanations for actions, events, and conclusions, looking for faulty reasoning and lapses in sequence. This function helps INFPs focus on external details, but being the inferior function, requires the expenditure of greater energy and is not as reliable.

ISTP

Dominant: Introverted thinking (Ti)
Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency. ISTPs live in a world of logic, on which they base their decisions. They process information from their auxiliary function to create strategies for action at a moment's notice. They love to examine complicated systems.

Auxiliary: Extraverted sensing (Se)
Se focuses on the experiences and sensations of the immediate, physical world. With an acute awareness of the present surroundings, it brings relevant facts and details to the forefront and may lead to spontaneous action. This function drives ISTPs to embrace opportunities to plunge headfirst into experiences. It also gives them a keen insight into situations similar to that of the ISTJ. Their curiosity for the world around them gives them a "leap before you look" tendency. They are notorious for taking apart a device to see how it works before considering whether they can put it back together.

Tertiary: Introverted intuition (Ni)
Attracted to symbolic actions or devices, Ni synthesizes seeming paradoxes to create the previously unimagined. These realizations come with a certainty that demands action to fulfill a new vision of the future, solutions that may include complex systems or universal truths. Never as open in their theorizing as INTPs, ISTPs prefer to keep themselves grounded in the physical situation, using Ni to visualize components and concepts that they cannot see and touch firsthand, such as the wiring in a circuit board.

Inferior: Extraverted feeling (Fe)
Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others. A weak point of ISTPs, Fe may lead them to interpret criticisms of their ideas as criticisms of their competence. ISTPs strive to follow the edicts of logic, but when they are under stress, their inferior function can lead them to illogically and stubbornly cling to their own ideas—sometimes to their own detriment, or even when proven wrong.

Reactions: chrisu

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
If you prefer to actually do things and implement ideas instead of just thinking and learning about them you're probably an S and if you rationalize why you're doing something irrational then you may be a T. For awhile I thought I was an ISFP, but with time I've recognized more feelers IRL and noticed that I don't act like they do and that my emotions are very regulated by introverted thinking.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a similar problem. According to type defination ISTPs are "mechanics" but I don`t relate to it very well. I`m pretty sure that I`m not that interested in working with my hands. My Se/Ne was about 55/45 the last time I took the test & some years ago I was ENTP - My extrovertion is about 50/50, too . I know I`m more into concreration than abstratction but I`m still very imaginative.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Cognitive functions, yo. Tests usually tell you which functions you are more aware of using, not necessarily which ones are your preference nor does it allow for the dynamic of the functions (the manifestation of your inferior, how you get out of a "loop", etc).

Google up "jungian cognitive function personality nation XXXX" (fill in XXXX with the type you want to look into).

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Speaking from my personality, ISTPs are largely "in the now". We do what makes sense at the time. We don't often contemplate the big picture unless it's in the context of conversation. Basically, we're logical, practical and enjoy the small things in life. We learn from experience and tend to have a good sense of our body. We're largely trial and error people. We're reactive rather than proactive, minus the information we've stored from past experience.

Our downfall are that we are really bad with feelings and often have to put effort into empathy. We have bursts of anger or sadness because we're unaware we're feeling these things and they pile a mile high before we release them. Also, generally, ISTPs also tend to be a tad selfish with their time.

The "mechanic" stereotype or the "criminal" stereotype are gross generalizations. Hell, even what I've written here may not apply to every ISTP. Especially if they've developed their Fe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
So I've been having a little trouble finding my "correct" personality type.
A year or so ago, I would consistently score INFP. Now I keep scoring ISTP, and unless I'm mistaken, these are two wildly different types. I'm pretty confident that I'm introverted and perceiving because I'm quiet and "flexible", it's just the sensing and thinking that bother me.

I'm not entirely sure what the sensing or intuition do. On the official PerC quiz, I got an exact 50/50 split on the N and S. I took it a second time and got the same result. I like to wing things and I rarely plan ahead. It's common for people to comment on my lack of common sense and I daydream a lot.

The F and T are also a problem. Is impulsiveness an F trait? What does it mean if I recognize that I'm acting irrationally, but can't do anything about it? I consider the logical and objective approach to be the best, but it's never that easy. I don't like to show affection, but I also don't like to criticize people. I'm pretty sensitive to criticism; I think I'm just insecure. I'm rarely hostile; I've never been in a fight.

I like to learn about how things work. Right now I'm trying to figure out how my personality works. I like to take things apart, and sometimes put them back together. I like to program. I've read that these are very ISTP-like traits.

Aside from my daily walk, I spend almost all of my time in front of a computer. I don't like to watch sports, and I have never tried to play one. I don't ride a motorcycle, and I don't like to parachute off skyscrapers. I don't hunt because I don't like to kill things. I am definitely not the bad-ass ISTP's are said to be.

Well, that's sort of a mouthful. I don't normally write this awkwardly but whatever. So do you guys think I'm an ISTP after all? I don't know, I've thought about this for too long. Maybe you guys can help.
Hi, I have the exact same problem as you... My S and N is 50% - 50% . Sometimes I score 10% more on N and other times 10% more on S. I also don't like sports and never watch sports, hate it. I also hate movies like "too fast too furious" because its about boring cars.

On the other hand i've recently become crazy about bodybuilding. thats a sport right ? And I find myself yearning to drive quadbikes etc. Also I'm a console monkey as my friends call me. Own every games console there is and play games all the time. Im also a programmer, but i HATE sitting in the office. It annoys the crap out of me.

I also find that im very sensitive when im stressed out. Then I test as ISFP. Which can also be true because Im sometimes good with art. I was once hired as a website designer for 2 years , but back to programmer now.

So yeah im confused as heck myself. Don't you guys think we aim for a personality now that we boxed ourselves ? I mean i've never wanted to do extreme sports , but now that i think im an ISTP. I want to try it out.... LOL

·
Registered
505 Posts
The first test I took put me as INTJ. When I first read the description I thought, hmm ok I might be like that. Some parts were totally off though. I was sure I was INTJ until I had a professional test taken through work which put me as ISTP. The more I got to know about ISTP, the more I understood that it was correct. The description after the professional test was literally like a manual on being me. I've taken three additional tests after that and they also put me as ISTP.

I have no urge to drive a quadbike though, but I kinda liked "Too fast...". When my wife was going skydiving and told me it was $620 for a 4 minute jump, my response was: People pay that for hookers too, doesn't mean it's worth the money. If I got a free jump though, I would probably do it.

I was pretty good at art in school. However I was only talented when I had to copydraw something, like for example my hand or a shoe on the floor. But if someone told me to free hand a landscape I sucked. If I was to design a webpage I would only copy other webpages cool features.

Try not to think stereotypical if you think you are ISTP. Read up on the things Siren mentioned.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was pretty good at art in school. However I was only talented when I had to copydraw something, like for example my hand or a shoe on the floor. But if someone told me to free hand a landscape I sucked. If I was to design a webpage I would only copy other webpages cool features.
I can 100% relate to that. I can draw amazingly when I copy something I can see in front of me. However when I have to think of it in my mind - impossible. Almost worse than a stick figure.... I also used to copy "parts" of websites when I designed them. Hmm interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts