Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just realized a certain relationship I am having for the past year is quite a bit like the relationship in Forrest Gump. Him being Forrest Gump and me Jenny. Yep, I am aware that this insults the both of us for various reasons. For one, he is not of "fragile mind" and I am not a "drug using slut". However, the dynamic in the relationship in the movie compared to what I am encountering is very similar. It got me thinking "what type would have the endurance to put up with a fucked up Jenny, yet not be overly emotional or "cling" to the object of their desire?" On top of that, what type is most likely to take care of themselves and pursue their own goals while the love of their life is away? Then when the love of their life came back, the "Gump" accepts them with open arms?

Can this be a dynamic capable of every human combo regardless of MBTI type? Seriously everyone, I am being open, honest, and inquisitive. I don't get why this particular person IRL likes me for who I am, lets me go if I want to, and then if I want to come back they welcome me with open arms. Is this something beyond MBTI? Is this stupid? Is it fantasy? Does anyone know what I"m talking about? It obviously confuses me. I'll accept that I am the moron in this case.

I have given this person a Meyers Briggs Test and I know what they test as. And from what I've witnessed according to this MBTI type, it still doesn't match up. Actually, I am not sure that what is happening between us could be compared to any MBTI type. This is because I haven't read that ANY TYPE is prone to accept and care for another unconditionally the way this person has with me.

Oh btw, I really don't like what this person is doing. I don't understand it so I think he should be shot down with multiple arrows. :crazy:

Anyway, you guys can help me. What type MBTI type is Gump and Jenny?

Oh yeah- throw into any other forum necessary. I really wasn't certain where to put this.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm not entirely sure that would have anything to do with type. You also gotta remember that Forrest Gump was a special case. I hesitate to call it a mental "disability" because he was still completely enabled, but because of this "slowness" he approached life much more simplistically than most people. He simply didn't overcomplicate life and its many issues the way we do. What you see is what you get. He loved Jenny and that was that. He didn't think beyond that, he didn't overcomplicate his feelings. Didn't matter what she did, or how she treated him, or where she went. He loved her and that was that.

My best guess for Forrest's type would be ISFP. He is doesn't feel the need to lead or control others, just as he has no desire to be controlled. He's service oriented. He didn't really give himself credit for his accomplishments. He was perceptive and aware of others. He wasn't a fan of abstract theories, rather mostly practical applications. He didn't make decisions based purely off logic. He weighed things against his own morals and principles before doing them.

Jenny on the other hand is a far more typical, complex human being. Who really knows what she was thinking about? What I got from her character is that she was constantly looking for something more. Maybe a big reason she didn't settle with Forrest to begin with was because she was afraid she would be missing out on something better. I think that because of her troubled past with her abusive father, she is a bit more difficult to type. My best guess for her would be ESFP. ESFP's do sometimes have trouble staying with one partner, they may struggle with commitments, they are likely to neglect their own needs and bodies, and a big one here for Jenny, they are more likely to run from conflict and problems than face them.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I don't think understanding type is so important as what you have stated about how you feel about what this person is doing. It seems to me that you have the answer to your relationship with this person right there. Whether you decide to keep them in your life or not, this behavior needs to stop.

One time, this guy I used to know told me that he wouldn't care if I was HIV positive, he'd still be with me. It doesn't make any difference to me that I don't have the virus...that's just wrong. There comes a point when you are put on a pedestal that is so high, the one placing you up there disappears. That's not love for ones self or the other.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Okay, I just realized a certain relationship I am having for the past year is quite a bit like the relationship in Forrest Gump. Him being Forrest Gump and me Jenny. Yep, I am aware that this insults the both of us for various reasons. For one, he is not of "fragile mind" and I am not a "drug using slut". However, the dynamic in the relationship in the movie compared to what I am encountering is very similar. It got me thinking "what type would have the endurance to put up with a fucked up Jenny, yet not be overly emotional or "cling" to the object of their desire?" On top of that, what type is most likely to take care of themselves and pursue their own goals while the love of their life is away? Then when the love of their life came back, the "Gump" accepts them with open arms?

Can this be a dynamic capable of every human combo regardless of MBTI type? Seriously everyone, I am being open, honest, and inquisitive. I don't get why this particular person IRL likes me for who I am, lets me go if I want to, and then if I want to come back they welcome me with open arms. Is this something beyond MBTI? Is this stupid? Is it fantasy? Does anyone know what I"m talking about? It obviously confuses me. I'll accept that I am the moron in this case.

I have given this person a Meyers Briggs Test and I know what they test as. And from what I've witnessed according to this MBTI type, it still doesn't match up. Actually, I am not sure that what is happening between us could be compared to any MBTI type. This is because I haven't read that ANY TYPE is prone to accept and care for another unconditionally the way this person has with me.

Oh btw, I really don't like what this person is doing. I don't understand it so I think he should be shot down with multiple arrows. :crazy:

Oh yeah- throw into any other forum necessary. I really wasn't certain where to put this.
Jenny without a doubt was an ESFP. Her mind was constantly in the present, she was very extraverted, she was impulsive and spontaneous, and she seemed to clearly have a strong Fi function. Forest had a ridiculously strong Fi function, and he seemed to be intuitive. I think Forest Gump was an INFP.

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Forest ENTJ? Comedian huh?

Jenny seemed more ESFP, but there is a possibility that she was an ISFP?

Jenny definitely more I than E in all interactions shown, she had lower energy, and choices based on own values without having to tell others about it, classic I F. Not an entertainer. Guitar song = Fail.

Forrest related to concepts, "sayings from mom", or N. I understand he is telling stories, so it seems like ESFJ, but that's just the way the first person narrative. T - self-sacrificing behavior, by joining the army, earning medal of honor.

side note: Major theme is accepting oneself. Forrest says, "stupid is as stupid does". Forrest did great things, he was a great person. Lt Dan's inner battle, Jenny, finding happiness. Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get. Destiny.

The type dynamics really makes sense to me. ENTJ - ISFP opposites attract. I think the actress is actually ISFJ and they probably could have cast that better. Hanks was superb. Bubba - ISFJ, Mom- INFJ.. personally I believe Lt. Dan is ISTP or ESTP.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I'm not entirely sure that would have anything to do with type. You also gotta remember that Forrest Gump was a special case. I hesitate to call it a mental "disability" because he was still completely enabled, but because of this "slowness" he approached life much more simplistically than most people. He simply didn't overcomplicate life and its many issues the way we do. What you see is what you get. He loved Jenny and that was that. He didn't think beyond that, he didn't overcomplicate his feelings. Didn't matter what she did, or how she treated him, or where she went. He loved her and that was that.

My best guess for Forrest's type would be ISFP. He is doesn't feel the need to lead or control others, just as he has no desire to be controlled. He's service oriented. He didn't really give himself credit for his accomplishments. He was perceptive and aware of others. He wasn't a fan of abstract theories, rather mostly practical applications. He didn't make decisions based purely off logic. He weighed things against his own morals and principles before doing them.

Jenny on the other hand is a far more typical, complex human being. Who really knows what she was thinking about? What I got from her character is that she was constantly looking for something more. Maybe a big reason she didn't settle with Forrest to begin with was because she was afraid she would be missing out on something better. I think that because of her troubled past with her abusive father, she is a bit more difficult to type. My best guess for her would be ESFP. ESFP's do sometimes have trouble staying with one partner, they may struggle with commitments, they are likely to neglect their own needs and bodies, and a big one here for Jenny, they are more likely to run from conflict and problems than face them.
I don't remember Jenny, but I agree with your summation of Gump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
He played football, war, ping pong, shrimpboat captain. Forrest says I may be stupid but I know what love is. His low IQ, shaped his behavior no doubt. But he wasn't too stupid to be an N.

but in many ways he was smarter than all the other characters, he taught them how to find what they were looking for.

The movie was ISFP like, after you take out the context, you judge how the individual interacts for signs.
Storyline is a fake interesting combination of recollections told at a bus stop, and his mother's analogy's on viewing life. His recollections seem S-ish but that's just because he's the narrator.

He talked in metaphors, granted ones his mom said. Anyways, just a guess

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry I hijacked your thread pink.

Having a relationship with a forest gump type person as a slower person, keep in mind, that people may be intelligent but not smart. We can all learn, and are always capable of growing if we keep an open mind. I think some people who seem slower are every bit as intelligent, and everyone has their own strengths.

Jenny went through some rough patches with, and everyone deserves a second chance. We are all capable of changing our attitude and allowing positive parts of our personalities to flourish.

The problem with drugs, is it makes decisions hazy. When weighing the pros and cons of a situation, drugs tell the body yes, and supercedes other factors by going straight to positive reinforcing parts of the brain.

um.. anyways. Jenny was out of harmony due to her father, and Forrest tried to help her balance it out. She became happier in the end, but said she wasn't good for Forrest. Probably due to her disease, and because she didn't feel like she was that great.

Everyone has issues of acceptance. Jenny had trouble with her father, her boyfriends abusing her. But if she didn't have those troubles, would she have come back and married (eventually) Forrest? When she allowed herself to be loved, I think she found happiness at the end.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Jenny definitely more I than E in all interactions shown, she had lower energy, and choices based on own values without having to tell others about it, classic I F. Not an entertainer. Guitar song = Fail.

Forrest related to concepts, "sayings from mom", or N. I understand he is telling stories, so it seems like ESFJ, but that's just the way the first person narrative. T - self-sacrificing behavior, by joining the army, earning medal of honor.

side note: Major theme is accepting oneself. Forrest says, "stupid is as stupid does". Forrest did great things, he was a great person. Lt Dan's inner battle, Jenny, finding happiness. Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get. Destiny.

The type dynamics really makes sense to me. ENTJ - ISFP opposites attract. I think the actress is actually ISFJ and they probably could have cast that better. Hanks was superb. Bubba - ISFJ, Mom- INFJ.. personally I believe Lt. Dan is ISTP or ESTP.
If you believe that Forest was ENTJ then you are a fool. Forest without a doubt was a feeler not a thinker. ENTJ is like the stupidest typing that you can come up with.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Forrest - ISFJ, maybe ESFJ
Jenny - ISFP

these types(ISFJ and ISFP) are actually quite different from each other, that last letter is the largest difference between the types.

·
Registered
828 Posts

Jenny is clearly ESFP. Forrest could be either ISFP, or ISFJ. I'm not altogether sure which.

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Forrest Gump- ENFJ- He tells stories,extroverted, put others before himself,emotional, and clumsy. He also stood up for Jenny but didn't like conflict either.

Jenny-ENFP

·
Registered
828 Posts
Forrest Gump- ENFJ- He tells stories,extroverted, put others before himself,emotional, and clumsy. He also stood up for Jenny but didn't like conflict either.

Jenny-ENFP
Clumsy equals N? Are you fucking kidding me?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Clumsy equals N? Are you fucking kidding me?
Umm nowhere did I say clumsy equals N. However, if you were reading the ENFJ forum and NF we have talked about being clumsy at times. That is why I brought it up. Furthermore, He lead the run and he was always trying to fix/save Jenny.
And kind salutations back.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Forest retard
Jenny esfp

Reactions: Surreal Snake
1 - 20 of 65 Posts