Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm questioning my type yet again :blushed: Having "decided" for the third time only about two weeks ago I'm still not satisfied it is correct, but here is the "route to truth" I followed - surely there are clues that I just cannot see contained within it?

When I first found an online test I had no idea what it was about, answered as I thought I acted and came out an ISTP. Shortly after I tried again (having considered the questions) and came out INTP. The INTP description fits very well and to this day I can see it being a good explanation for what I've done and why, but it is not the only option I can see. From time spent on an INTP forum I was not offended by the lack of niceties but being surrounded by others so unattached to their opinions left me feeling kinda lost. I made a thread on the INTP forum questioning if I was actually an ISTP.

After actually analysing myself a little I realised that I seem to have strong opinions about things I value with little evidence behind them, and still knowing very little about the behind the scenes stuff (functions) decided I was surely an F - thus INFP. Despite making this decision myself I made a thread in this very section trying to argue that I was an INTP when most people were suggesting INFP. The INFP descriptions aren't anywhere near as good a fit as the INTP one, but very few INFPs think the descriptions are good. I also read that INFPs are never convinced they are, so I seemed to fit in well. I felt much more at home in the INFP section, but it took under three months for the questioning to return...

Fed up with not having a definite answer for what is a meaningless label I started to read about the functions, having had my suspicions that the tests were bad confirmed by others. I just don't understand the functions, I relate well to all of them, none really "disgusts" me as people say an inferior should. I like writing in big words and get frustrated when others misunderstand my writing, but that's pretty much what function descriptions are - strings of big words and it seems I cannot make enough sense of them to see which apply more in my life.

In short I am very frustrated both by my inability to understand the functions and to work out why I do what I do. I want to help people but by posting as one type I represent that type - I do not want to lie when being honest should be so easy. I am seriously considering finding a local psychologist and getting a professional "diagnosis", I need to know :crazy:

Thanks for any thoughts :happy:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
INFPs use Fi, where my whole communication style is self disclosure which is usually an Fe trait (I think :blushed:) I also have a very keen eye for detail and urge to correct people which is usually Ti (though I do this to help them improve them-self, not to get an ego boost) and again, INFPs don't use this. I've also noticed that lots of INFPs (assuming they have typed themselves correctly) casually comment that "sometimes I doubt I'm an INFP" but rarely do they seem to take the time to read about the functions to confirm/deny their suspicion. Of course I may be making my observations of "INFPs" based on those who aren't at all, which doesn't help :unsure:

These concerns along with not really relating to the profiles make me fairly certain I'm not an INFP.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
After actually analysing myself a little I realised that I seem to have strong opinions about things I value with little evidence behind them, and still knowing very little about the behind the scenes stuff (functions) decided I was surely an F - thus INFP. Despite making this decision myself I made a thread in this very section trying to argue that I was an INTP when most people were suggesting INFP. The INFP descriptions aren't anywhere near as good a fit as the INTP one, but very few INFPs think the descriptions are good. I also read that INFPs are never convinced they are, so I seemed to fit in well. I felt much more at home in the INFP section, but it took under three months for the questioning to return...
For INFPs and ENFPs individualistic self-expression is important thus they don't readily associate with the profiles and may have trouble typing themselves, especially ENFPs as they are extraverts and their attention is turned mainly outwards not inwards so they are not used to introspection and cannot readily see similarities between the stereotypical profiles and themselves.

I just don't understand the functions, I relate well to all of them, none really "disgusts" me as people say an inferior should.
Yeah you sound like a P wanting to keep your options open ;)
What does disgust you mostly in this life? What has the ability to deeply upset you?
How have other people ever described you, your parents or friends? What adjectives have they used? If you aren't sure of your qualities yourself you can refer to outside evaluation.

If you read the collection of adjectives here, which collection under what profile would you associate with the most?
INTP - Jung Type Descriptions

INFPs use Fi, where my whole communication style is self disclosure which is usually an Fe trait (I think :blushed:) I also have a very keen eye for detail and urge to correct people which is usually Ti (though I do this to help them improve them-self, not to get an ego boost) and again, INFPs don't use this. I've also noticed that lots of INFPs (assuming they have typed themselves correctly) casually comment that "sometimes I doubt I'm an INFP" but rarely do they seem to take the time to read about the functions to confirm/deny their suspicion. Of course I may be making my observations of "INFPs" based on those who aren't at all, which doesn't help :unsure:

These concerns along with not really relating to the profiles make me fairly certain I'm not an INFP.
Self-disclosure of personal feelings is more of a Fi trait imho than Fe. Urge to correct people is not always Ti. INTJs are commonly associated with spelling nazism yet Ti is not one of their primary function. As for not reading up on functions there isn't one single MBTI type that is more likely to do the research into the functions. There are some INFPs who are very knowledgeable about this profiling. Majority of people on this forum don't bother doing much research into it - it doesn't have to do anything with their type.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm questioning my type yet again :blushed: Having "decided" for the third time only about two weeks ago I'm still not satisfied it is correct, but here is the "route to truth" I followed - surely there are clues that I just cannot see contained within it?

When I first found an online test I had no idea what it was about, answered as I thought I acted and came out an ISTP. Shortly after I tried again (having considered the questions) and came out INTP. The INTP description fits very well and to this day I can see it being a good explanation for what I've done and why, but it is not the only option I can see. From time spent on an INTP forum I was not offended by the lack of niceties but being surrounded by others so unattached to their opinions left me feeling kinda lost. I made a thread on the INTP forum questioning if I was actually an ISTP.

Fed up with not having a definite answer for what is a meaningless label I started to read about the functions, having had my suspicions that the tests were bad confirmed by others. I just don't understand the functions, I relate well to all of them, none really "disgusts" me as people say an inferior should. I like writing in big words and get frustrated when others misunderstand my writing, but that's pretty much what function descriptions are - strings of big words and it seems I cannot make enough sense of them to see which apply more in my life.

In short I am very frustrated both by my inability to understand the functions and to work out why I do what I do. I want to help people but by posting as one type I represent that type - I do not want to lie when being honest should be so easy. I am seriously considering finding a local psychologist and getting a professional "diagnosis", I need to know :crazy:

Thanks for any thoughts :happy:
Sounds just like me. I have been typed as an INFP before, but I don't believe that I am one.:crazy:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds just like me. I have been typed as an INFP before, but I don't believe that I am one.:crazy:
Typed by who or how though? I've just re-read the post about the types of INFJs and
Adymus (INTP Forum) said:
The INFJ can invent an character within their Ni-Fe. They can write an entire story of their life, their family, their experience, their fears, their motivations, their quirks and mannerisms all within their Ni. Then when the time comes, then can channel that character into their Fe and Se to perfectly embody that role, in ways that can be so nuanced that you might not even know you are looking at the same person.
sounds like me. Except I'm not making it up to act it but to explain my past... surely the same process though. Fe is a big part of my outlook (although rarely expressed) and I use Ti so I'm reverting to my most recent decision of being an INFJ. For now :crazy: Sorry for wasting anyone's time :blushed:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems I completely missed vel's post, so I guess this is re-opened...

vel said:
For INFPs and ENFPs individualistic self-expression is important thus they don't readily associate with the profiles and may have trouble typing themselves, especially ENFPs as they are extraverts and their attention is turned mainly outwards not inwards so they are not used to introspection and cannot readily see similarities between the stereotypical profiles and themselves.
I suck at self expression. I cannot even pick what to wear as I don't care. I don't write, paint or make music (not often anyway so I can't enjoy it much, and I don't do it well). It was suggested that there is no "me" in my life, I'm just a shadow trying to please others. But this was suggested by a psychologist I only spent a couple of hours with, and most of that wasn't alone.

vel said:
Yeah you sound like a P wanting to keep your options open ;)
I do, but at the same time I want an answer and not having one that anyone agrees with is what's getting to me.

vel said:
What does disgust you mostly in this life? What has the ability to deeply upset you?
Disgust is a strong word... probably the only two things that disgust me would be senseless killing for "sport" and two faced people. I have a strong dislike of disharmony in group situations but tend to take the ostrich route and hide rather than doing anything about it - it's not my place to interfere so I run/hide :sad:

vel said:
How have other people ever described you, your parents or friends? What adjectives have they used? If you aren't sure of your qualities yourself you can refer to outside evaluation.
I have been described as loyal, reliable and observant by the only friend I've asked. My parents wouldn't agree with any of those words though...

vel said:
Self-disclosure of personal feelings is more of a Fi trait imho than Fe. Urge to correct people is not always Ti.
I see... well I more self disclose the facts of my experiences and how I got through the situation rather than how I felt about it. I never really noticed how I felt or how things affected me while they were happening, so when introspecting (which I am very good at - the I is the only definite in my type) I cannot work out why I did anything. I did, it worked or it didn't work and I moved on - if I can share my experience with others who I am comfortable telling (and that's far from everyone) and help them I will, or if I think they are going through something similar I'll bring up my experience rather than ask about theirs. Maybe this isn't called self disclosure?

As to Ti so be it - guess that's another thing I was fairly sure of blown away...

So on to the mini descriptions!

INTP sounds good but I am fairly certain I am weird (or I'd have more friends) and I don't see the point in learning things for the sake of learning them - they must have a use. Also the first career dislike is wrong - I had a job doing HR and payroll constantly being harassed by phone calls and left it for a more technical one. Worst move I ever made. Without being able to help multiple people daily my job satisfaction has dropped to zero.

INFJ is also a good match, I have had a big problem with doing the wrong thing leading to doing nothing. When does observation and interpretation of the world become fantasy?

ISTJ has some interesting words - I am very anti-tattoos

ISFJ - follow the rule. I nearly got no further but the rest of the words aren't bad, except I like strangeness.

ISFP is almost scarily good until the bottom - I like change!

On a semi sidenote I notice groups of words appearing in multiple types but different places - does this relate to functions, thus those at the top are more relevant?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
INFJ is also a good match, I have had a big problem with doing the wrong thing leading to doing nothing. When does observation and interpretation of the world become fantasy?

ISTJ has some interesting words - I am very anti-tattoos

ISFJ - follow the rule. I nearly got no further but the rest of the words aren't bad, except I like strangeness.

ISFP is almost scarily good until the bottom - I like change!

On a semi sidenote I notice groups of words appearing in multiple types but different places - does this relate to functions, thus those at the top are more relevant?
You give impression to me of somebody who uses Fe. If you use Fe you automatically use Ti as your counter logical function. This rules out INFPs, ISFPs, INTJs, ISTJs and all personality types that use FiTe and not FeTi for their judging functions.

Out of personalities that you listed ISFJ, INFJ, and INTP use FeTi as their judging functions.

For ISFJs and INFJs the distribution is same - Fe is auxiliary and Ti is tertiary. Difference is that ISFJs have Si primary and thus have good attention to detail, physical world around them, when making decisions they are likely to go with what worked for them in the past, thus may appear to lead a conservative lifestyle. INFJs have Ni primary. They are conservative but rather with their ideas - in school may report to be slow learners, have slower processing time, might be stubborn in some of their views. However INFJs usually crave more change in their physical world as per their inferior Se function. For example when I go to a restaurant I will often order something new while Si-users typically stick to the same dish that they remember was good in past.

I suck at self expression. I cannot even pick what to wear as I don't care. I don't write, paint or make music (not often anyway so I can't enjoy it much, and I don't do it well). It was suggested that there is no "me" in my life, I'm just a shadow trying to please others. But this was suggested by a psychologist I only spent a couple of hours with, and most of that wasn't alone.

I do, but at the same time I want an answer and not having one that anyone agrees with is what's getting to me.
Sounds INFJ-ish. This phenomenon is typically reported by INFJs as "wearing masks", being a "social chameleon", not really having strong opinion of your own but going with whatever. This follows from having a perceiving function Ni and not a judging function, Fi Ti Fe Te, as dominant. The prime desire of a perceiving function is to perceive the world, not make judgements about it. Contrary if you meet people with a judging function dominant you will find that they will hold some strong opinions. Ones with extraverted judgement function will feel need to express it to outside world. Ones with introverted judging function like INTPs and INFPs you will find that they can hold some solid internal opinions about things if you talk to them but they interact with the world more on perceiver basis as their main extraverted function is a perceiving one. I think I've described this to you before.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again vel, you came to the same conclusion last time :blushed:

It seems I was going the wrong way trying to type myself by looking at individual functions instead of pairs or judging/perceiving being primary. I will stop questioning myself now and just be happy as an INFJ, assured that I at least act like one so giving advice as if I am one will not be in anyway unhelpful to those asking. If that makes any sense :crazy:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Thanks again vel, you came to the same conclusion last time :blushed:

It seems I was going the wrong way trying to type myself by looking at individual functions instead of pairs or judging/perceiving being primary. I will stop questioning myself now and just be happy as an INFJ, assured that I at least act like one so giving advice as if I am one will not be in anyway unhelpful to those asking. If that makes any sense :crazy:
At any given time I think there are 10 may be 20% of mis-typed people hanging out at each MBTI subforum so it is not a problem :)

Give it some time, read more about MBTI theory, the articles in article section are good and then you will become more sure about what type you are. Sometimes takes people a few months to do research and confirm for themselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts