Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I’ve tested very differently over several months and several tests, and reading type summaries has left me torn between several. I’m sure I’m full of biases as well, so here’s to starting fresh.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
A perfect balance between a comfortable and well-established social life and a challenging and rewarding job. I want to always feel like I’m learning, or affecting change—to see major positive developments in my lifetime caused by my actions would pretty much be the ultimate end goal. Why? Because it makes me feel happy, and like I’ve exceeded my expectations as one of seven billion and been recognized for it.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

A sense of independence, a total understanding of my environment, exceeding at a skill, being surrounded by people.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Not understanding an idea that the majority of my peers can, correct observations made about my flaws, the thought that someone is superior to me in every respect, with less effort.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I consider the social repercussions of each path, and once I’ve eliminated unacceptable results, I choose between the rest based on (typically personal, sometimes practical) pros and cons .

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Creating the best possible results to the full extent of my skill, even if it means taking on an excessive portion of the work. If I am not directly responsible for the outcome myself, I must be able to rely upon the person who is.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Going out to a beachside bonfire for a friend’s birthday; bonding with close friends, making friends with acquaintances, and meeting strangers. Vivid, although I remember the scenery and exact mood more than specific conversations and events.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I just dive into it, consuming as much knowledge related to the field as possible. I then annoy the hell out of my friends by enthusiastically discussing it with them nonstop as I revel in the new ideas and work things out.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Fairly. I’m mess-prone, but I can’t go more than a few weeks in chaos before I go on an organizing spree. I procrastinate hugely, albeit with a hearty dose of guilt on the side and full awareness of what I’m doing.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I try and understand the principles behind it, and only seek out examples that reinforce it if I can’t get my head around the idea otherwise.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Both. I thrive when I feel a part of a group, even if it means adjusting myself, but I enjoy pursuing causes that I believe in.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I usually think before I speak although my own friends can’t tell the difference between when I’m saying something carefully premeditated and waxing eloquent on total bull. I prefer group discussions for the variety, unless I want to know more about a single person.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

Every situation calls for a different reaction. I enjoy taking part in both schools of thoughts. Actions certainly speak more than words, and often more honestly, too.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Record my show and go out if I haven’t been doing a lot- if I’m tired or have had a mentally exhausting day, I’ll give them a rain check.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Impatient and fatalistic.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
If they seem apathetic or willfully ignorant, or if they’re in some position of responsibility and seem incompetent or oblivious to the mood of their surroundings.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Depnds on what that person likes. The best conversations are talking about something mutually interesting, or something they’re educated on and passionate about, regardless of my knowledge or interest.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
My personal health. Sometimes I forget to sleep and eat, even if I’m otherwise completely aware of everything.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Confident, funny, intelligent, obstinate, speculative, impatient, passionate, and sometimes-neurotic. Any projected confidence I have is at least 70% showmanship and no substance, and I tend to act more patient and kind than I usually feel, though. They would never consider me to be slow, apathetic, or oblivious.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
In totally ideal conditions- energized and full of money, haha- I would get up early, have some quality reading time with current affairs or my interest du jour, then go out for coffee with old friends, people-watch, and go do some activities I like in good company (arcade, rockclimb, get lost, that sort of thing) before going home and curling up with a good documentary and my significant other.

Thanks for the help! If you have any other questions, shoot.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Number 20 sealed the deal for me in thinking you are ENTP, then on reflecting back on all your answers, it all tied together as ENTP, number 8 shows you are dom Ne for sure, and there is alot of other clues throughout all your answers that tie in to ENTP. And you use Fe more rather than Fi, you are more accommodating to others putting them first before yourself, to a point of course because Fe is your territary, but still, you are more Fe than Fi, so it all ties in and makes sense as an ENTP. ENTP's are visionaries/explorers/discoverers, sound right to you?

Only you can agree with what type you are, so keep exploring any other possibilities. If you need any links to articles, just ask, many on here can refer you to lots of different articles. Search around in the Cognitive Forum on here, you'll find lots to read on the cognitive functions if you didn't study cognitive functions yet, which is all the Ne Fe Fi etc lingo, then you can go to a few different places to study them, on here at PerC in the Cognitive Function section, or at cognitiveprocesses.com, etc...

There are 8 thought process functions we use, they are derived from 4 categories: Sensing, Feeling, Thinking, Intuiting

Each category has 2, one for internal and one for external

example: Sensing - Se External Sensing / Si Internal Sensing

We use 2 external and 2 internal in our thought processing, with the other 4 as shadow functions

If we are an extrovert, we use one of the 2 external functions as our dominant function and the other external in territary, our secondary (auxillary which is pretty strong also) is internal, and our 4th - the inferior function is internal. When we are upset/under stress we use our inferior function in a disfunctional/irrational way.

ENTP - Ne (Dominant) Ti (2nd Auxillary) Fe (Territary - weeker function but assists the Dominant and Aux.) Si (Inferior)

Shadows would be Ni (shadow of Ne) Te (shadow of Ti) Fi (shadow of Fe) and Se (shadow of Si, which because Si would be the inferior function, Se would be pretty much non-existant, also known as the devilish function, it would be the one you use the least and comprehend the definition of the least.

So, look around on the different articles on cognitives and find out more how they work, and they also work in pairs too, i'm not too knowledgable of the pair working and the dom/tert loops, haven't studied that yet... but there is many on here that can help you with questions on those... Enjoy :)

*EDIT: Need to Add:
Internal functions use memory and reflection from previous learned knowledge or experiences, External functions use what is infront of you externally in the here and now present moment.

And to Add one more thing, If we are Introverts, our Dom and territary is internal, and our Aux and Inferior is external, opposite sequence of Extraverts.

And to Add another important thing: The 8 processes, derived from 4 categories, are further broken down to 2 things: Perceiving and Judging (not as in the last letter in MBTI, but rather in the Jung's cognitive functions: The Perceiving Functions are Sensing/Intuiting - how we take in information to process, The Judging Functions are Feeling/Thinking - how we judge information that we take in, so we all have 2 main Judging and 2 main Perceiving functions in our 4 main thought processing, and 2 of each also in our shadows. Each of the 2 Perceiving in our main one is external and one is internal, and each of the 2 Judging in our main, same thing, one is external and one is internal. Same for shadows. In other words, we can't have Fi and Ti in our main, nor Si and Ni in our main, nor Fe and Te in our main, nor Se and Ne in our main, if we have Fi, then we have Te, if we have Si, then we have Ne, etc....

So for example, an ENTP whose dominant function Ne is a Perceiving function, not a judging function, means that their other perceiving function is Si, which in ENTP Si happens to be the inferior function, Ne Ti Fe Si, note no Te or no Fi, because the 2 judging functions one has to be external and one internal so if one is Ti the other has to be Fe.

ESTJ - Te Si Ne Fi
ESTP - Se Ti Fe Ni
ENTJ - Te Ni Se Fi
ENTP - Ne Ti Fe Si

ESFJ - Fe Si Ne Ti
ESFP - Se Fi Te Ni
ENFJ - Fe Ni Se Ti
ENFP - Ne Fi Te Si

ISTJ - Si Te Fi Ne
ISTP - Ti Se Ni Fe
INTJ - Ni Te Fi Se
INTP - Ti Ne Si Fe

ISFJ - Si Fe Ti Ne
ISFP - Fi Se Ni Te
INFJ - Ni Fe Ti Se
INFP - Fi Ne Si Te

2 each of the 16 types share the same Dom and same inferior functions, so under stress or upset they will have similar styles of acting out irrationally/disfunctionally in their inferior functions. There is also articles for the eruption of the inferior functions when under stress in the articles section of each type forum here on PerC that you may be interested to read also. The ENTP shares the same dom and inferior as the ENFP, so you may want to read that also, here's the link to that: http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-articles/76803-recognizing-inferior-function-enfps.html

Hope all that info helps :) "Bon Apetit" Lol :)

Reactions: quixotist

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes an incredible amount of sense! Thanks a ton.

I was initially surprised by your guys' answers, because when I first took the test a couple years back, I typed as INFP/J, but I think a lot of that had to do with my social anxiety of the time and mistaking the need to have time in my own head with introversion. I'm in the midst of exams right now and don't have the time to look properly into cognitive functions just yet- so this is pretty baseless, but hey, I'm lazy and you folks are the experts: I cannot wrap my head around the T deal.

On one hand, I'm a very analytical and knowledge-hungry person. I love to explore patterns and systems and try and understand how things work. On the other hand, the majority of this analysis has to do with human behavior: literary analysis, philosophy, psychology, law, sociology, history- all that jazz. Understanding motivations and knowing how someone will react before they do comes quite easily to me. Being tactful while telling the truth (usually by making it funny) is something I'm very careful to do. When I fail at this, I can tell, very quickly. It's important to me to maintain the best relations possible with most people. Most. I have no patience for arrogance or apathy. When I'm feeling even slightly irate, the smallest touch of irrationality will send me completely over the edge. I think nearly every fight I've been in with mates has been because we disagree on something, and I'm too forceful in trying to win them to my side, or worse, I'm so certain of being correct that I act accordingly as if my victory is a foregone conclusion. One of my biggest social shortcomings is that I absolutely cannot let things lie, for the life of me. This means either inadvertent badgering of a sore issue until we can find resolution, or spending far too much time dwelling on past and potential arguments until I can talk to the other person again. I'm honestly not to sure if this is indicative of a particular type or just general immaturity, haha.

Alright, let's break this down.

Feeling:
  • I possess a preposterous capacity for empathy. I will cry watching crap Disney movies. (Albeit while frantically trying to stop myself by mentally naming countries of the world in alphabetical order and reminding myself how ridiculous this is.) Good poetry and writing gives me goosebumps like you wouldn't believe.
  • I am not sure if this is less Feeling and more Intuition, but for what it's worth, I can evoke emotions in writing and words like nobody's business. It seems a little incongruent that I'm not a feeler when I am able to write in a way that makes people feel.
  • I have little reservations expressing myself emotionally to close friends. In public situations, mind you, I keep a pretty tight rein on myself and play up aspects of my personality- swagger and humor, namely- to a) be a crowd-pleaser and b) keep a less taxing emotional distance from things.
  • Many people turn to me for advice because of my ability to see things from every party's point of view and dispense answers accordingly.
  • I'm very good at tailoring the way I communicate and act in social situations so as to be likeable to most everyone I meet. It's completely effortless for me (and satisfying, too).
  • I get bored by detail and facts if I see it as useless to practical application/personal interest. This is fairly rare, but it's why subjects like mathematics and chemistry never took root with me when biology and law did.

Thinking:
  • It's really easy for me to detach myself when reading about disturbing situations so I can enjoy the intellectual aspects. Example: I'm absolutely fascinated by psychopathic behavior and the spectrum of abnormal psychology. I have no qualms in horrifying my INFJ mother when we're watching Criminal Minds together and I pause it to explain why that particular violent method of death is terribly impractical, or to admire the brilliance of a serial killer's method of luring victims. (If that kind of violence was witnessed in person, I am certain this standpoint would not hold up.)
  • I prefer brevity in both technical explanations and wit, and beating around the bush, especially in emotional situations, frustrates me like nothing else.
  • I have an obssesive eye for detail when determining the objectives for important decisions. I easily spent hours on course selection for university next year by first building an extensive criteria- based on time of class, professor, and applicability of the class itself to satisfy potential future educational requirements. I made a set of rules to eliminate any accidental poor choices, like barring multiple back-to-back classes or classes past x hours in the late afternoon if my classes had started at y hours in the morning that day. (x ≤ [y + 8.5], naturally). It had to be perfect. I forgot to sleep. It was the most fun I've had in days.
  • Although social choices are made with significant weight to the subjective situation, I make personal choices based exclusively on practicality (and hilariously extensive criteria.)
  • If I am making a logical concession for the sake of tact/the 'right' thing to say, even when I don't care for the person, it is because I know that a good relationship with them will get me further than speaking my mind.
  • Being called out on logical inconsistency is more injuring and frustrating than any other personal criticism.

Well, this certainly turned into a wall of text! I feel balanced between T vs F- I use both to make decisions, but I also know virtually nothing about the finer details of each preference past the stereotypes. Do any of you see any major indicators of one or the other? Are there any questions you could ask that would help determine this?

(EDIT: After finishing this post, I decided to take the 16 Types Test again. Scored 50/50 on T/F. Ahahaha, oh man. Somebody help me out here!)

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Don't you think that you are putting a little too much salt in online tests? I've long since come to the conclusion that most of them are utter garbage which only ask entirely subjective questions. I've taken a single test numerous times, answered the questions based on how I feel on the day and gotten completely different results; there is too much variation within the ways in which the questions can be percieved for them ever to be reliable.

Also, individual function order is bullshit. The Ti-Se-Ni-Fe etc list only refers to how you use the functions in relation to one another, NOT the order of how strong they are. In all honestly, I do strongly believe that the specific order varies heavily throughout your life anyway.

Personally, I would just go through each letter and decide which one resides with you best. There is no wrong answer, no shame if you decide a few months down the line that you are actually more X than Y and, most importantly, nothing wrong with believing that you embody certain traits of two types together: There is no such thing as a 100% ISTP, ENFJ, ISFJ etc etc etc!

(If you want my honest opinion based on what you've said so far however, using a comparison of opposing letters, I would say ENFP, if not ENTP).

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
That makes an incredible amount of sense! Thanks a ton.

I was initially surprised by your guys' answers, because when I first took the test a couple years back, I typed as INFP/J, but I think a lot of that had to do with my social anxiety of the time and mistaking the need to have time in my own head with introversion. I'm in the midst of exams right now and don't have the time to look properly into cognitive functions just yet- so this is pretty baseless, but hey, I'm lazy and you folks are the experts: I cannot wrap my head around the T deal.

On one hand, I'm a very analytical and knowledge-hungry person. I love to explore patterns and systems and try and understand how things work. On the other hand, the majority of this analysis has to do with human behavior: literary analysis, philosophy, psychology, law, sociology, history- all that jazz. Understanding motivations and knowing how someone will react before they do comes quite easily to me. Being tactful while telling the truth (usually by making it funny) is something I'm very careful to do. When I fail at this, I can tell, very quickly. It's important to me to maintain the best relations possible with most people. Most. I have no patience for arrogance or apathy. When I'm feeling even slightly irate, the smallest touch of irrationality will send me completely over the edge. I think nearly every fight I've been in with mates has been because we disagree on something, and I'm too forceful in trying to win them to my side, or worse, I'm so certain of being correct that I act accordingly as if my victory is a foregone conclusion. One of my biggest social shortcomings is that I absolutely cannot let things lie, for the life of me. This means either inadvertent badgering of a sore issue until we can find resolution, or spending far too much time dwelling on past and potential arguments until I can talk to the other person again. I'm honestly not to sure if this is indicative of a particular type or just general immaturity, haha.

Alright, let's break this down.

Feeling:
  • I possess a preposterous capacity for empathy. I will cry watching crap Disney movies. (Albeit while frantically trying to stop myself by mentally naming countries of the world in alphabetical order and reminding myself how ridiculous this is.) Good poetry and writing gives me goosebumps like you wouldn't believe.
  • I am not sure if this is less Feeling and more Intuition, but for what it's worth, I can evoke emotions in writing and words like nobody's business. It seems a little incongruent that I'm not a feeler when I am able to write in a way that makes people feel.
  • I have little reservations expressing myself emotionally to close friends. In public situations, mind you, I keep a pretty tight rein on myself and play up aspects of my personality- swagger and humor, namely- to a) be a crowd-pleaser and b) keep a less taxing emotional distance from things.
  • Many people turn to me for advice because of my ability to see things from every party's point of view and dispense answers accordingly.
  • I'm very good at tailoring the way I communicate and act in social situations so as to be likeable to most everyone I meet. It's completely effortless for me (and satisfying, too).
  • I get bored by detail and facts if I see it as useless to practical application/personal interest. This is fairly rare, but it's why subjects like mathematics and chemistry never took root with me when biology and law did.

Thinking:
  • It's really easy for me to detach myself when reading about disturbing situations so I can enjoy the intellectual aspects. Example: I'm absolutely fascinated by psychopathic behavior and the spectrum of abnormal psychology. I have no qualms in horrifying my INFJ mother when we're watching Criminal Minds together and I pause it to explain why that particular violent method of death is terribly impractical, or to admire the brilliance of a serial killer's method of luring victims. (If that kind of violence was witnessed in person, I am certain this standpoint would not hold up.)
  • I prefer brevity in both technical explanations and wit, and beating around the bush, especially in emotional situations, frustrates me like nothing else.
  • I have an obssesive eye for detail when determining the objectives for important decisions. I easily spent hours on course selection for university next year by first building an extensive criteria- based on time of class, professor, and applicability of the class itself to satisfy potential future educational requirements. I made a set of rules to eliminate any accidental poor choices, like barring multiple back-to-back classes or classes past x hours in the late afternoon if my classes had started at y hours in the morning that day. (x ≤ [y + 8.5], naturally). It had to be perfect. I forgot to sleep. It was the most fun I've had in days.
  • Although social choices are made with significant weight to the subjective situation, I make personal choices based exclusively on practicality (and hilariously extensive criteria.)
  • If I am making a logical concession for the sake of tact/the 'right' thing to say, even when I don't care for the person, it is because I know that a good relationship with them will get me further than speaking my mind.
  • Being called out on logical inconsistency is more injuring and frustrating than any other personal criticism.

Well, this certainly turned into a wall of text! I feel balanced between T vs F- I use both to make decisions, but I also know virtually nothing about the finer details of each preference past the stereotypes. Do any of you see any major indicators of one or the other? Are there any questions you could ask that would help determine this?

(EDIT: After finishing this post, I decided to take the 16 Types Test again. Scored 50/50 on T/F. Ahahaha, oh man. Somebody help me out here!)
try this cog quiz, they are not always reliable, but sometimes it's still interesting to see what you score, copy and paste your score answers on here after you do it...

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

we all have other types in us, but we are dominantly one type over all the others...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts