Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
Female, mid 20s. Working on my degree, close to graduation.
Moved to a new city 1 ½ years ago. Broke up with my boyfriend of 6 years not too long after. Messy situation. It was the right decision, but being single and in a new city by myself has been trying.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
Green. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Beautiful globes resting on a single leaf. Reminds me of the beauty that lies in every moment. So easy to miss. I’m in the mood for red today. The green is clashing with what I’d like to see.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Initial thoughts + internal reaction: What could have possibly gone wrong? Ask the driver to turn off the car for now. Calm everyone down while engine cools down. Maybe we could make a game of it for the people who are worried. Turn off my cell phone too in case we need it later.
Is the car manual still in the car? Pop the hood once the car is at a better temp, see if anything obviously sticks out, I don’t mind flipping through the manual and trouble-shooting.
Constantly scanning the surroundings for danger. We live in a bad world. I’ll realize I’m being paranoid and keep my concerns to myself. Look for nearby buildings, people that could help. Try to remember what we passed on the way. How far are the nearest stores? How will AAA know where to find us?

Outward reaction: Smiling, comforting others “Guys it’s all good, this stuff happens. It’s probably a minor problem, so don’t worry okay?” I’ll keep my anxiety to myself as much as I can. Joking and laughing. Just cause we’re in a bad situation doesn’t mean we can’t still have fun.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the after party that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

People fall to temptation so easily. Do I really want to rely on ONE way out? Logging taxi numbers in my phone. Keep an eye open for any other ideas. I’m gonna go with my hunch on this one. If I have a bad feeling (even if I can’t pinpoint why), I’ll make up an excuse and refuse.
Parties are great! I won’t put myself in a bad situation for it, but I’d love to go. So many new people, so many stories, maybe there will be something fun and new.
Also I would see how my fellow passengers are doing. If they seem distraught about the earlier car problems, I’ll at least keep an eye on them. Make sure I’m never more than one room away. But yeah I’m not gonna let it ruin my night. Less drama, more of the good stuff please. :p

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

Ask for more information, specifically the definitions of the words they are using. Half the time I disagree with someone, it’s a communication gap. Like we grew up with different dictionaries.
If I feel comfortable with the person, I poke holes in their logic. A bunch of “what about this?” questions. And “What do you think of this?” I rarely point out loopholes directly. I ask a series of questions until they reach the same impasse I do. Then I see what they do next.

Inward reaction: Well that’s weird. How interesting. Ok, this could be cool. I want to hear more. Tell me, tell me, tell me. Play my cards carefully. If I piss them off, they might shut down and not tell me more. Then what will I do?
This can turn reaaaallly bad if they have strong morals. They call me cold-hearted and amoral. Morals isn’t really the right word, but do you know what I mean? Some people can’t handle that type of conversation. It feels like a conflict.
The most common thing people say to me when they are offended (especially my ex): “This isn’t a court of law! Stop putting me on trial.”

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

Same reaction as above. I want more information.
If it’s a serious difference of opinion, I pull back and start observing them more instead. Is this difference providing them with a benefit? What are their values and how does this mode of behavior contribute to it?
Maybe I like some parts of it. If I do, I’ll adopt them as my own. Or at least an alternative to my own. Otherwise live and let live.
However if I find them to be dangerous, then I’ll be very careful. Keep them away from people I care about. By dangerous I mean someone malicious, willing to step on heads to get their way, selfish or otherwise unstable in a way that could become a threat.
Oh it’s very unlikely a person like that will ever find out where I live, any of my assets, anything that could really harm me (and same goes for my friends).

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I want to help others. I want the people I care about to be okay or at least on their way to that.
Take accountability for your own actions. For example, if a topic easily offends me, I don’t bring it up with people unless I am prepared to be offended. It’s not their fault that I’m in a bad mood.
It’s important to be yourself and love every moment of it. I’m not good at it. But it’s great. I hate seeing people shoved into boxes or forced to alter their behavior because it doesn’t fit some stupid preconceived notion of what they are supposed to be. We all have our niche. Everyone is part of the bigger picture that’s hard to see.
I love trying new things. Activities, ideas, walking in people’s shoes for a mile and seeing what kind of blisters I get. Mentally active. Bouncing from one place to the next and on the hunt for more information.
Very spiritual the past few years. Trying to pretend there is a higher power crossing all the Ts and dotting all the Is so I don’t have to. It’s hard though. Doesn’t come naturally. Unfortunately some parts of life are simply out of your control and ruminating will never change that.

Edit: I don't know what drives me. It changes too often. I get inspiration from all over the place and ride that out. It can be anything- very mood dependent. There have been times I felt low and passed by a tree. It's just something about that tree was so striking, so profound to me. The way the branches twisted this way and that, the leftover leaves stubbornly clinging to its home, the cracks of times long since past carved into the trunk...it was like a high. Everything made sense again. All was whole.
And then comes the flurry of ideas. Inspiration. I feed off of this.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else?
I’m pretty perceptive. I can read people pretty quickly and tell if their interests align with mine. Most people say I’m kind and offer a perspective they never thought of before. I’m fast friends with many. Deep connection. A lot of people consider me their best friend even if I don’t necessarily feel the same. My own life might be a mess sometimes, but I’m always supportive and dependable to people I care about. I’m also pretty calm when things are going wrong.

b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
Don’t know if this counts a personality, but I need turn off my brain sometimes. Seriously it’s on 24/7. No way to take a break from it. I’m constantly swimming in a feed of ideas, daydreams and information. The only way to “take a break” is to fill it with something else I’m interested in (and if I can keep a few mindless hobbies I can mull about til kingdom come.)
Side note: Sometimes when things are going VERY, VERY wrong (forced to make a snap decision that will set my future in stone for at least a year), my brain settles down a lot. I can think straight. Everything falls to the background and the stuff that really matters floats to the top. I’m fairly detached. All the factors are like pieces of the puzzle and if I look hard enough, I'll find what I need.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings?
I have a lot of them, but I wait for proof to back it up. If I have a particular hunch I’m curious about, I wait for the opportunity to ask a question relating to it. Gauge them then.
I’m very patient with this. If I wait long enough and keep an eye out, an opportunity will show up. They almost always do. If not EXACTLY what I’m looking for, then something close enough will generally be enough as well.

In what situations are they most often triggered?
Meeting new people. Refer to 7a. I’m pretty good at reading people. Their motives, what they want from me and my friends, “weaknesses in their armor” and any special abilities they may have. Everyone’s an expert in something, even if it doesn’t seem like it off the bat. What’s their art? What have they been fine-tuning all these years?

9. a) What activities energize you most?
Helping people achieve their dreams. The more impossible the dream, the more rewarding to make it happen, but I love doing this stuff period. They tell me what they want and I think of how to get there.
I also love banter. I really thrive off the conversation, esp swapping ideas. Small talk is okay, but it’s like getting cheese puffs when you wanted steak. Internet age is perfect for me. Such a wealth of knowledge out there. It’s amazing.
Meeting people is fun. Putting on an act every now and then too. As mentioned in 6, I like trying out different personas.

b) What activities drain you most? Why?
I hate psychological traps. I know everyone does, but god when I feel like someone is asking me a question and my answer is going to be used as ammunition later, I get so paranoid. I hate giving up stuff I feel could be used against me. So along with that, it’s draining if someone constantly prods me for sensitive information.
It’s a delicate line. I love theory. If it’s all hypothetical and we’re just talking, I don’t care. I’m not “ashamed”. But any semblance that they are not trustworthy and I won’t stay around too long. I’m not sure how to put this into words. I can be very open, no anxiety. But if I get that vibe…I’m out.
Speaking of which, most status seekers set off that red flag. I really love parties and meeting people, but I can’t be around those kinds of people too long.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I keep all the random crap running through my head to myself. I swear if anyone knew about those, they would lock me away in a VERY soft room and throw away the key. I hide most of my anxiety too. How I really feel about things doesn’t show up on my face. Minimize my emotions. I’m too intense. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s just not always the greatest thing, you know?

Thank you! Any suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Well, by no means am I an expert on this...but I'm going to agree ENFP.

Moop, out of curiosity did you have a pre-conceived notion of what type you were? I was getting a strong vibe that you were trying answer in such a way as to lead us. Am I totally wrong, or did you have a guess as to your type? And if so, what was it?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Well, by no means am I an expert on this...but I'm going to agree ENFP.

Moop, out of curiosity did you have a pre-conceived notion of what type you were? I was getting a strong vibe that you were trying answer in such a way as to lead us. Am I totally wrong, or did you have a guess as to your type? And if so, what was it?
My first impression was ESTJ... but the constant Ne made me alter my decision... Also the stress upon reading people... seemed NF to me...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually surprised. I thought all of my "scan the environment, make sure I have ways out, etc: " was gonna flag me for an SJ. I'm pretty new to personality typing as well.
I actually went with ENTP. Didn't really fit, but my INTJ brother is such an amazing counterpart for how I think that I figured maybe I'm the cognitive function opposite of him.
INTJ: Ni Te Fi Se
ENTP: Ne Ti Fe Si

·
Banned
175 Posts
My first thought was SJ, but the more I read the more convinced I was that you had to be an NP. And at first I did think you might be Fe (thus ENTP), but the more I read the more Fi you sounded. Well, you sounded like a Fi who wanted to project Fe. Which is why I asked if you had a preconceived notion of what type you were.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
Female, mid 20s. Working on my degree, close to graduation.
Moved to a new city 1 ½ years ago. Broke up with my boyfriend of 6 years not too long after. Messy situation. It was the right decision, but being single and in a new city by myself has been trying.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
Green. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Beautiful globes resting on a single leaf. Reminds me of the beauty that lies in every moment. So easy to miss. I’m in the mood for red today. The green is clashing with what I’d like to see.

Not sure, Fi-Se maybe?

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
Initial thoughts + internal reaction: What could have possibly gone wrong? Ask the driver to turn off the car for now. Calm everyone down while engine cools down. Maybe we could make a game of it for the people who are worried. Turn off my cell phone too in case we need it later.
Is the car manual still in the car? Pop the hood once the car is at a better temp, see if anything obviously sticks out, I don’t mind flipping through the manual and trouble-shooting.
Constantly scanning the surroundings for danger. We live in a bad world. I’ll realize I’m being paranoid and keep my concerns to myself. Look for nearby buildings, people that could help. Try to remember what we passed on the way. How far are the nearest stores? How will AAA know where to find us?

You're concerned about the comfort of other people, I'd pin that on Fe. Je doms tend to take a leader roll and try to solve the problem at hand for the rest of the group.

Outward reaction: Smiling, comforting others “Guys it’s all good, this stuff happens. It’s probably a minor problem, so don’t worry okay?” I’ll keep my anxiety to myself as much as I can. Joking and laughing. Just cause we’re in a bad situation doesn’t mean we can’t still have fun.

Fe.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the after party that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
People fall to temptation so easily. Do I really want to rely on ONE way out? Logging taxi numbers in my phone. Keep an eye open for any other ideas. I’m gonna go with my hunch on this one. If I have a bad feeling (even if I can’t pinpoint why), I’ll make up an excuse and refuse.

Ni, with not being able to pinpoint the bad feeling maybe?

Parties are great! I won’t put myself in a bad situation for it, but I’d love to go. So many new people, so many stories, maybe there will be something fun and new.

You're excited about people, stories and novelty. Most likely extroversion for sure.

Also I would see how my fellow passengers are doing. If they seem distraught about the earlier car problems, I’ll at least keep an eye on them. Make sure I’m never more than one room away. But yeah I’m not gonna let it ruin my night. Less drama, more of the good stuff please. :p

Fe.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
Ask for more information, specifically the definitions of the words they are using. Half the time I disagree with someone, it’s a communication gap. Like we grew up with different dictionaries.
If I feel comfortable with the person, I poke holes in their logic. A bunch of “what about this?” questions. And “What do you think of this?” I rarely point out loopholes directly. I ask a series of questions until they reach the same impasse I do. Then I see what they do next.

Your immediate concern is understanding the person's point of view. This could be anything, but I'll say Fe. Your methods for debating are very careful. Hmmm, not sure, maybe exclusion of Ne and Se? Kind of weak.

Inward reaction: Well that’s weird. How interesting. Ok, this could be cool. I want to hear more. Tell me, tell me, tell me. Play my cards carefully. If I piss them off, they might shut down and not tell me more. Then what will I do?
This can turn reaaaallly bad if they have strong morals. They call me cold-hearted and amoral. Morals isn’t really the right word, but do you know what I mean? Some people can’t handle that type of conversation. It feels like a conflict.
The most common thing people say to me when they are offended (especially my ex): “This isn’t a court of law! Stop putting me on trial.”

Afraid of pissing them off, Fe. All your concerns are about people being offended and conflict.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
Same reaction as above. I want more information.
If it’s a serious difference of opinion, I pull back and start observing them more instead. Is this difference providing them with a benefit? What are their values and how does this mode of behavior contribute to it?
Maybe I like some parts of it. If I do, I’ll adopt them as my own. Or at least an alternative to my own. Otherwise live and let live.
However if I find them to be dangerous, then I’ll be very careful. Keep them away from people I care about. By dangerous I mean someone malicious, willing to step on heads to get their way, selfish or otherwise unstable in a way that could become a threat.
Oh it’s very unlikely a person like that will ever find out where I live, any of my assets, anything that could really harm me (and same goes for my friends).

Loads of Fe. Maybe some Pi in there as well?

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
I want to help others. I want the people I care about to be okay or at least on their way to that.
Take accountability for your own actions. For example, if a topic easily offends me, I don’t bring it up with people unless I am prepared to be offended. It’s not their fault that I’m in a bad mood.
It’s important to be yourself and love every moment of it. I’m not good at it. But it’s great. I hate seeing people shoved into boxes or forced to alter their behavior because it doesn’t fit some stupid preconceived notion of what they are supposed to be. We all have our niche. Everyone is part of the bigger picture that’s hard to see. Very value-based. F. Saw some Fi in those last couple sentences.
I love trying new things. Activities, ideas, walking in people’s shoes for a mile and seeing what kind of blisters I get.That's the third time you've used a metaphor. Intuition? Mentally active. Bouncing from one place to the next and on the hunt for more information. This could be Ne or Se... Hmmm.
Very spiritual the past few years. Trying to pretend there is a higher power crossing all the Ts and dotting all the Is so I don’t have to. It’s hard though. Doesn’t come naturally. Unfortunately some parts of life are simply out of your control and ruminating will never change that. Some F and not sure what to make of that last bit. Definitely not Fe or Fi...

Edit: I don't know what drives me. It changes too often. I get inspiration from all over the place and ride that out. It can be anything- very mood dependent. There have been times I felt low and passed by a tree. It's just something about that tree was so striking, so profound to me. The way the branches twisted this way and that, the leftover leaves stubbornly clinging to its home, the cracks of times long since past carved into the trunk...it was like a high. Everything made sense again. All was whole.
And then comes the flurry of ideas. Inspiration. I feed off of this.

Haha. Ni right here. You have no idea what the hell it was, but your mind somehow saw that tree as a 'sign' and an inspiration. Ni does this quite often.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else?
I’m pretty perceptive. I can read people pretty quickly and tell if their interests align with mine. Most people say I’m kind and offer a perspective they never thought of before. I’m fast friends with many. Deep connection. A lot of people consider me their best friend even if I don’t necessarily feel the same. My own life might be a mess sometimes, but I’m always supportive and dependable to people I care about. I’m also pretty calm when things are going wrong.

Fe, being used to reading people, and easily making connections and 'best friends.' Maybe some perceiving function. *shrugs*

b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
Don’t know if this counts a personality, but I need turn off my brain sometimes. Seriously it’s on 24/7. No way to take a break from it. I’m constantly swimming in a feed of ideas, daydreams and information. The only way to “take a break” is to fill it with something else I’m interested in (and if I can keep a few mindless hobbies I can mull about til kingdom come.)
Side note: Sometimes when things are going VERY, VERY wrong (forced to make a snap decision that will set my future in stone for at least a year), my brain settles down a lot. I can think straight. Everything falls to the background and the stuff that really matters floats to the top. I’m fairly detached. All the factors are like pieces of the puzzle and if I look hard enough, I'll find what I need.

Metaphors, N. Interesting that your mind is like a pinball machine, but you are very decisive when it calls for it. Hmmm. I usually would associate this with Ne. Interesting. You're definitely an extrovert, though so this is really contradicting.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings?
I have a lot of them, but I wait for proof to back it up. If I have a particular hunch I’m curious about, I wait for the opportunity to ask a question relating to it. Gauge them then.
I’m very patient with this. If I wait long enough and keep an eye out, an opportunity will show up. They almost always do. If not EXACTLY what I’m looking for, then something close enough will generally be enough as well.

Ni with having so many hunches... You'll wait to ask them about it, that shows it's about people, Fe. Patience? Odd for an Ne dom. Don't know what to make of the opportunity thing.

In what situations are they most often triggered?
Meeting new people. Refer to 7a. I’m pretty good at reading people. Their motives, what they want from me and my friends, “weaknesses in their armor” and any special abilities they may have. Everyone’s an expert in something, even if it doesn’t seem like it off the bat. What’s their art? What have they been fine-tuning all these years?

Either Fe-Ni or Ne.

9. a) What activities energize you most?
Helping people achieve their dreams. The more impossible the dream, the more rewarding to make it happen, but I love doing this stuff period. They tell me what they want and I think of how to get there.
I also love banter. I really thrive off the conversation, esp swapping ideas. Small talk is okay, but it’s like getting cheese puffs when you wanted steak. Internet age is perfect for me. Such a wealth of knowledge out there. It’s amazing.
Meeting people is fun. Putting on an act every now and then too. As mentioned in 6, I like trying out different personas.

Eeeerg, I can't decide between Ne or Fe-Ni. It really looks like Ne here, though.

b) What activities drain you most? Why?
I hate psychological traps. I know everyone does, but god when I feel like someone is asking me a question and my answer is going to be used as ammunition later, I get so paranoid. I hate giving up stuff I feel could be used against me. So along with that, it’s draining if someone constantly prods me for sensitive information.

People's motives, Ni.

It’s a delicate line. I love theory. If it’s all hypothetical and we’re just talking, I don’t care. I’m not “ashamed”. But any semblance that they are not trustworthy and I won’t stay around too long. I’m not sure how to put this into words. I can be very open, no anxiety. But if I get that vibe…I’m out.

Again with the vibe... Intuition.

Speaking of which, most status seekers set off that red flag. I really love parties and meeting people, but I can’t be around those kinds of people too long.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I keep all the random crap running through my head to myself. I swear if anyone knew about those, they would lock me away in a VERY soft room and throw away the key. I hide most of my anxiety too. How I really feel about things doesn’t show up on my face. Minimize my emotions. I’m too intense. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s just not always the greatest thing, you know?

Lol. Definitely some strong intuition that your Fe knows to suppress. Or maybe Ne self censoring itself.

Thank you! Any suggestions are much appreciated.

***Main response is in bold above***

I would place my bet on (in order from most to least likely)

ENFJ (FeNiSeTi)
Dominant function (strongest function, how you view the world): extraverted feeling (Fe)
Auxiliary function(serves the dominant, also quite strong): introverted intuition (Ni)
Tertiary function (subconscious function, subconsciously drives the auxiliary, also the weakest): extraverted sensing (Se)
Inferior function (subconscious, second most powerful, subconsciously drives the dominant, often used unhealthily): introverted thinking (Ti)

Or

ENFP
extraverted intuition (Ne)
introverted feeling (Fi)
extraverted thinking (Te)
introverted sensing (Si)

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My first thought was SJ, but the more I read the more convinced I was that you had to be an NP. And at first I did think you might be Fe (thus ENTP), but the more I read the more Fi you sounded. Well, you sounded like a Fi who wanted to project Fe. Which is why I asked if you had a preconceived notion of what type you were.
Well Fe is the one cog function I felt like I identified with. So maybe I was leading on my questionnaire. Not on purpose though. I thought really hard to how I consistently acted for all the questions.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ThatOneWeirdGuy Wow so comprehensive! Thanks for going through this. I love how you showed which cognitive function matched which answer.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Well Fe is the one cog function I felt like I identified with. So maybe I was leading on my questionnaire. Not on purpose though. I thought really hard to how I consistently acted for all the questions.
Alright, here goes. There is a lot I'm still not very great at about this whole MBTI stuff, but the one thing I think I am really good at is understanding the difference between Fe and Fi. Others might disagree with my analysis, and that is their right. But this is my understanding of it.
I think a lot of people really misunderstand Fe vs Fi. People seem to have this concept in their head that Fe is caring and Fi is selfish. Even when someone tries to tell themself that Fi is not selfish, they have a hard time convincing themself why. Let's see if I can explain.

Fe and Fi can show very equal levels of concern and awareness for others feelings. In fact, Fi will frequently show greater levels. The distinction is from where that concern and awareness stems from. Rather than try to describe the difference, I'll show you by breaking down your responses.

You've shown you care about other people's feelings. That suggest strong use of your Fi/Fe, but it does not distinguish between Fi or Fe.

Now we get to the heart of the matter. You are worried, you are concerned, you are paranoid. Therefore, because you are these things you unconscientiously feel concerned that others are as well. You've projected your own feelings upon others, most likely accurately so ... but it was still projection. Furthermore, your response is to smile and be peppy. You are attempting to hide your own anxiety in an effort to project good feelings onto others and thus make it so.
I'm a very strong Fe user and very weak Fi user. So this will be a very dramatic distinction but maybe it will help. When this stuff went down I honestly wouldn't have had any anxiety at all. But I would have felt others anxiety and attempted to alleviate it before it infected me. See the distinction?

Also I would see how my fellow passengers are doing. If they seem distraught about the earlier car problems, I’ll at least keep an eye on them. Make sure I’m never more than one room away. But yeah I’m not gonna let it ruin my night. Less drama, more of the good stuff please.
You are worried about other people's moods, so strong Fe/Fi. The thing to me that stands out though, is the part about not letting it ruin your night. A very strong Fe user probably wouldn't be capable of that, or have any inclination to take that stand. If other people are down, they would have a really hard time getting past it. Probably the most telling thing you said. If you were a weak Fe/Fi user, then it might not mean anything. But the fact that you are a strong Fe/Fi user...to me it suggest there is no way it's Fe you are using.

Both Fe and Fi users are uncomfortable with conflict or upsetting people. But your reaction at least appears to be more concerned with someone becoming upset with you, rather than them becoming upset. YOU want more information. You don't want them mad at YOU. This is why so many people assume Fi is selfish and unsympathetic. When trying to explain it the 'self' comes up a lot. But it really, really is not. It merely distinguishes the source of someone's feeling, concern, and compassion. In a way, it simply points out the inadequacy of the human language to truly describe feeling.

There are more examples of strong Fe/Fi use but I won't go into them, the above examples pretty much covers it. Basically to summarize. Strong Fe or Fi users both care deeply about other people's emotions. Just remember:
Fi users PROJECT. 'I'd be upset in this situation so this other person probably is to...I should comfort them.' Or 'I'm going to be cheery and excited and therefore that will help make others around me feel that way.'
Fe users ABSORB. 'This wouldn't upset me, but I've seen others get upset about this...so I should comfort them.' Or 'The people around me are depressed and it's making me unhappy. I should try to cheer them up or get away.'
And just to emphasis the inaccuracy of the stigma that Fe users are very caring and aware of others feelings. A Fe user being selfish would avoid addressing someone's negative feelings, or avoid being around someone who is unhappy because they don't want their own emotional state to be dragged down. Rather than showing compassion for another's feelings they would close themselves off to them for their own sake.

I hope this helps explain things. And remember, most of these thought processes I described are happening on an unconscious level. So most people aren't even aware of why the know someone is sad or happy or angry. Also, remember what you write down for us might give us an inaccurate view of how you function. You are the person most likely to identify if you are Fe or Fi. But only if you properly understand the distinction. Hopefully this helped explain it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@LadyMeowMix Thank you for the explanation. Very thorough. And using parts of my own questionnaire really helps.

Fi users PROJECT. 'I'd be upset in this situation so this other person probably is to...I should comfort them.' Or 'I'm going to be cheery and excited and therefore that will help make others around me feel that way.'
Fe users ABSORB. 'This wouldn't upset me, but I've seen others get upset about this...so I should comfort them.' Or 'The people around me are depressed and it's making me unhappy. I should try to cheer them up or get away.'
And just to emphasis the inaccuracy of the stigma that Fe users are very caring and aware of others feelings. A Fe user being selfish would avoid addressing someone's negative feelings, or avoid being around someone who is unhappy because they don't want their own emotional state to be dragged down. Rather than showing compassion for another's feelings they would close themselves off to them for their own sake.

Not to derail my own topic, but this is really interesting.

So I was thinking that:
Fi = staying authentic to yourself regardless of surroundings/people, strong inner anchor, unchanging unless internally motivated to
Fe = adapts to surroundings/people sometimes at expense of the above response
I mold to others without realizing it. If you ask a bunch of different friends what I am like, they will give you different responses. There are some things in common, but certain important traits that mean a lot to them change depending on who I'm with. It's completely subconscious. I'm not putting on an act (well I do sometimes if I think it will make them feel better. Can't sustain it for too long. Maybe an acquaintance or a few times a month meeting sort of thing).

But your definition seems based on the direction the information is going.
Fi is inward -> outward leading to projecting your internal feelings onto others and attempting to influence the emotional environment with your mood (last part of sentence worded badly, take with a grain of salt)
Fe is outward -> inward so it's gathering the emotional information from the outside, internalizing it and birthing a reaction from this process

Am I understanding this correctly?
Does Ti/Te function in a similar manner too? The inward leading outward for Ti and outward leading inward for Te?

·
Banned
175 Posts
Fi = staying authentic to yourself regardless of surroundings/people, strong inner anchor, unchanging unless internally motivated to
Fe = adapts to surroundings/people sometimes at expense of the above response
I think that's what a lot of people assume, but I don't think that's necassarily true. I've know a WHOLE lot of Fi types who are better described by what you list as Fe, and Fe types better described by what you list as Fi. And no, I'm not mistyping them. It's just that those things are very small parts of the puzzle, and are frequently associated with one or the other.

I mold to others without realizing it. If you ask a bunch of different friends what I am like, they will give you different responses. There are some things in common, but certain important traits that mean a lot to them change depending on who I'm with. It's completely subconscious. I'm not putting on an act
I don't think this really has anything to do with Fi vs Fe. I am Fe and my brother is Fi and we are both very, very guilty of this. I think this is more a matter of having strong Fi/Fe then one vs the other. We both want people to feel more comfortable, we both want to fit in, so we subconsciously behave and interact in a way that suits the environment and people we are with.

Fi is inward -> outward leading to projecting your internal feelings onto others and attempting to influence the emotional environment with your mood (last part of sentence worded badly, take with a grain of salt)
Fe is outward -> inward so its gathering the emotional information from the outside, internalizing it and birthing a reaction from this process
That's roughly the jist of it, I guess. It's not nearly as 'dramatic' as it sounds of course when trying to explain it. It's not as if Fe can't develop their own emotional reactions or use their own force of personality to shift the mood. And it's not like Fi aren't able to gather external emotions and internalize them.

Also, I'm not so great with distinguishing Ti/Te functions. I have very well developed Ti and Te, and I have trouble seperating the two. Fe vs Fi is easier for me because I basically don't have any Fi. But my understanding of them is Te is objective oriented and Ti is subjective oriented. Which is the same as Fe and Fi, of course...but I don't feel like they manifest themselves in quite the same way.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
I would very much ask you to consider ENTP.
You are very much Ne dominant. brain never shuts off - welcome to our world, and that is a HUGE issue for ENTP and ENFP.

You come clearly as Fe. IN MY OPINION you are missing Fi, and won't understand it until you realize you are not a selfish person.
When the car broke down, YOU CARED ABOUT THE CAR. you tried to trouble shoot the car. You settled everyone down to get them out of your way, then you started troubleshooting the car.

NT to me, although ST will also do this, as will anything with Ti. You spent almost no time on the picture, which means to me very weak Se and Si.
You mention BIG PICTURE several times. Again, Ne and Ti.

So. a few caveats. Female ENTP's are pretty rare, and society does not like them to behave like ENTP's. IT is pretty common for ENTP women to have very strong Fe, just like it is common for young male ENTP's to have no Fe.

Consider ENTP. ENFP has Ne dominant, but they are Fi users. And I'm not seeing strong Fi.

doug

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
Fe for an ENTP means I want the world to be a better place for the people. I want people to have better lives, and I will tell them the truth even if they don't want to hear it if I think it is ultimately true they SHOULD hear the truth.

Fi says they do things because they want it done. An Fi person, IMO is more likely to cry regularly than an Fe. They are ok crying, and letting it go, and moving on. As an ENTP, I am really piss poor at Fi. Crying for me is a major major upsetting event. Fi KNOWS what is right and wrong. To me, in a weird way, an INFP is MUCH more judgmental than an INFJ. The INFJ says other people can do whatever they want to make them happy. An INFP says there is a right and a wrong, and they know what it is, and it really is not open for discussion.

Ti/Te. Ti is logic. Analysis. Te is analysis, but more of categorizing. INTJ's use Te to measure IQ tests. They INVENTED IQ tests. But an INTP with his Ti is BETTER at the IQ tests than the INTJ because the INTP uses Ti to deduce the logic.
An INTP gets bored measuring things. An INTJ says it does not exist and is meaningless if it cannot be measured. All exagerations, but...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts