Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, this was the intro I recently posted. If you can make sense of its rambling disjointedness, please do. As always, what's my type?

My name is VenusMisty and I have taken the MBTI many. many times. Lately, I've become rather balanced in my preferences--I've gone through times in my life when I thought I was: ESTJ, ISTP, ESTP, ISFP, INTJ, ENTJ.....well, pretty much all of them. It's easy for me to see that I'm not really that much of a tradiitionalist, though. Recently I've met someone who I consider to be my dual, according to the description on Socionics...and I think a good method of being sure is to type her. She's as changeable as I am though, so that's the thing. I tend to adapt situationally, and my S/N has become rather balanced lately. I'm really glad I found this site. I tried to sign on to typologycentral, but it's been a couple of days and they still aren't letting me post so I don't get it...is it some kind of secret society deal? I just took another and got ESFP. My MBTI changes situationally.

So far, I know that there is no way in hell I am a Guardian. So that helps...although I have been known to turn a bit ISTJ at work...but it isn't Venus. Or maybe it is.... I've been told that ESTJ is Lucy's type from the Peanuts, and I can be a bit like her. I will make a "possibility" group and a "reject" group. I really gravitate toward wanting to find "the answer"..but how fixed are any of them? My therapist told me, when I asked, that she tells people that the letters are how that person is reacting to life at this point in time, but that it can change. So I don't know if answers or types are stable. Maybe they are for some people, but not others. Also, I may make another post for this one....but can you type someone just by the way they look? For instance, given my avatar picture, what would you say I am...not taking into account the ENTP that's currently above my head?

INTJ...I am indeed a rare woman. Patrick Bateman was said to have been an INTJ...and I really, really like him. I am in love with Christian Bale because of that role. Ayn Rand was an INTJ, and I had a fascination with her, especialy when I believed myself to be INTJ...she tends to glorifiy characters that are her own type. I've read both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. Would an SP have gotten through both books...especially an ESTP? I also identify with Harriet the Spy. Type her, if you can, and also Sport. Since birth, my parents have decided for me that I would be a writer...and it has affected me a bit, I have to admit. My father is an ISFJ, and my mother is INFJ, by the way...at least, that's what I think. By the way, while trying to figure this out, I have made a little matrix on a napkin by me while listening to my mother bitch simultaneously about the contents of the garbage can and how my desire to take a course to figure out my passions means I am looking for a "quick fix." I am busy questioning my every life choice and realizing that my majors in Art History and French (which I am admittedly quite good at) may have no transferrable application to the real world. That's true...and I'm trying to hatch a plan. Am definitely not a 40 year old virgin. I may just quote half of this intro post in the "what's my type" forum and ask. Oh, and I hate the feeling of someone hovering in the background while I work...like right now, with my dad skulking about. I don't by any means chase leadership roles. Now my parents are complaining to each other about the monumental task of taking out the trash...as if it were a matter of state. Dear lord.

If you believe upbringing plays in, here are my specs: Dad--Introverted; Probably Sensing, though tends to grumble about actually doing anything, at least committedly; I can't decide whether he's thinking or feeling because he tends to preach an ethic of rationality, but doesn't follow it; and I think J because he would wear Dockers to the beach...but he is also incredibly lazy..so I don't know (Cancer w/ Scorpio moon). Mom is Introverted; an artist so probably more sensing, but she is rather mystical and preachy especially about contentment, which ironically, she herself does not embody in the slightest. They both want me to be a professional academic of some sort. I'm not convinced I'd hate it, but part of me wants to rebel as long as possible simply because I'd like to decide my life by myself, thank you. They are children in Parents Pants. By the way, VenusMisty has a livejournal blog where you get in-depth info about her life. Mom is a Virgo/ Aquarius Moon. I am Aquarius with Capricorn tendencies/ Aries Moon/ Gemini Ascendant. The person who seems to be my cosmic other half is a M2F transsexual studying to be a mechanic who may well decide to be a cop instead. Taurus-Gemini/Leo Ascedant/Libra Moon. What does this tell you, if anything? If I am sensory I don't know if it's by nature....I've had the sense (was that what it was?) knocked into me quite a bit throughout my life. The world's favorite location for knocking sense into you is the balls, which it repeatedly kicks...which is one of hte few reasons I'm glad I'm female...that and no one stares when I where makeup, which is constantly. I would not call myself an optimist...at all. ENFJ was rejected because of its strong emphasis on consensus building. I haven't rejecte ISFP because that was MJ's type and I identify with that dude...and believe that he was innocent. People are vultures.

Also, I am not religious at all, but I do enjoy astrology (though I wouldn't say I necessarily trust it)--I enjoy it for its archetypes... and playing with Tarot cards.

You are also definitely seeing my process, so I think I am more P than J.

Possibilities: ISTJ, ESTJ, ISTP, ISFP, ESTP, ESFP, INTJ, INTP, ENTP,

Rejects: ISFJ, ESFJ, ENTJ, INFJ, INFP, ENFJ, ENFP

I've actually read quite a bit about the MBTI and have been puzzling over the issue since I was about twelve. But I do like the idea of ENFP. I have settled on that one more than once before questioning again, though. I was just trying to come up with a systematic way of figuring these things out based on what I had read in the forums.

·
Banned
396 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sound fun too!!! I think that if anything, this entire post confirms that I am an ENTP, but Se is also really strong. Actually---ENFJ, functionally seems most accurate.

·
Banned
396 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
How long have you been introduced to the MBTI/typing theory? I don't think you should limit yourself to simply a few number of types on the get-go. If you could, could you expand on your reasons for exempting some types for others?

·
Banned
396 Posts
\o/ ENFP's are the best!

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks. That seems conclusive! I have thought about it some more and this seems correct. Also, it would give me a sense of duality with my ISTP buddy. All the pieces are fitting together. This actually pretty much confirms it...restating the main points of what I said in a succinct paragraph by Stars:

Type 7 ENFP

In Type 7 ENFPs, the weirdness is about as upfront and blatant. They scare the hell out of “normal” people and like it that way. So do I. The ENFP tendency to be fascinated by everyone and everything is amplified here. They’re frequently fans of crude humor and I’d bet a lot of 4chan/Encyclopedia Dramatica users are this type. Conversations with them are usually amazing to me because they know so much and they’re so interested in talking about all of it. They have a wide range of talents and they work hard at mastering them. More likely than the other two types to behave aggressively and rudely towards others. They’re nice people but their sensitivity doesn’t really come out until you explain to them that you’re in trouble. After that they become very loyal and will sacrifice a lot to help you.

I love this site.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey Venus

Also check out: MBTI Prototype
It's really quick and seems to be amazingly accurate

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got ENFP the second time, here. But the first time I got ESTP. It makes sense that I would be conflicted between SP and NF though because I am both an artist as well as a humanities major. :confused: Maybe it's fair to say that my S side is T and my N side is F. If I looked at the descriptors and wanted to choose my opposite from them, it would probably be ISTJ or ISFJ. But at work, I behave as if I'm ISTJ...though this has been known to drive me a bit nuts on occasion.

·
Banned
396 Posts
I think it's natural for us to conform to certain types in specific environments. You have to consider the type that you are consistently in all of these environments combined.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
The important thing is to not take anything literally - the descriptions that pit SPs as 'artists' and NFs as 'Idealists' are only titling them to give you an idea, and not to say that you have to be either an artisan or an idealist to be SP or NF. Try to drop off all that you've considered before. Basically, if you'd like to know your true type:

• Stop comparing literally. See above.
  • Forget all of this 'duality' stuff. Socionics =/= MBTI, and if it's going to influence your decision, you may as well stop now.
  • You may turn out to be a type you don't like. Too bad.
  • Astrology =/= MBTI. Please don't involve it either.
  • You can't be a certain type because you relate or like actors or certain characters. This is not particular to typology.
  • Assess how you've been over the course of your entire life, not since you've discovered the system.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Inconsistencies can frequently reveal an unseen trend. If you're willing to 'be' ENFP for now, though, than I suppose it's up to you.

·
Banned
396 Posts
I say she behaves as she likes - disregarding all potential types. :p

·
Registered
177 Posts
Could you make some paragraphs?
No she can't. She's an ENTP.

She's not an INTJ because she's too playful and funny. :tongue:

And not as serious and uptight as INTJs who insist on bullet points and formal structure which includes distinct paragraphs. Yikes! long paragraphs drive me crazy too.:crazy:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts