Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I’ve tried a couple questionnaires and I really don’t feel any closer to knowing my type, so I’m just going to try and talk about myself. This will basically be a collection of little snippets that have been floating around in my head for the past few months. Congrats to anyone who reads this through by the way, as even before writing it I know it’ll be long.

I don’t have euphoric or deeply thoughtful moods like some people, with one exception: Whenever I listen to music. When I listen to music it’s like I can do anything, I just feel so sure of things and/or really emotional. But that all stops when the headphones come off, so I’m not sure if it’s really helpful.

In math class, I’ve noticed that when I’m working with someone else on a problem I feel like their train of thought is leaving me in the dust and I can barely follow what they’re saying. But when I do a similar problem by myself, I can often finish it quicker than them. This carries over to other things as well; when people ask me questions I feel like I always give stupid responses because I don’t have enough time to process them.

On the topic of math class, a classmate once told me that my approach to math is “Algebra solves everything.” And I guess this is true- I tackle math problems I don’t know how to solve by trying to figure out how I can use algebra to get some kind of answer. So far it’s worked. I’m good at applying rules I already know to solve unfamiliar things, not at finding new ways to do stuff.

I love to understand how things work. This is why learning things on the atomic level always seems to be easiest for me. It’s the most basic you can get (excluding quantum mechanics I guess, but really… what even is quantum mechanics!?). With more macroscopic things, I have to dig down to the atoms to really get it, which takes time. I just love that feeling of “Oh! So that’s why this thing happens!” Not to say that it’s easy for me- I have a hard time keeping enough things in my head to move on to the next thing based on that, and eventually it just gets to be too much. But I like it.

One of my strange pastimes is reading Wikipedia articles for different cities/countries… I just love to learn about cultures separate from mine, and how different life must be there. And then I realize how sad it is that I’ll never get to visit even a quarter of the places I read about. But whatever.

I get frustrated easily, which is why I never really pick up new hobbies. As soon as I feel like I’m not improving at something, or that other people are so much better than me, I’m done. It’s weird to me that people say they do arts and such for fun, because it’s not really fun to me if I don’t feel like I’m better than someone. I also have a tendency to put myself down about my skill level… like, “I may think I’m good at this, but really I kind of suck.” This is probably just unhealthy thinking and has nothing to do with my type, though.

I’m not very good with emotions… I do feel strongly about things, but I find it hard to show it on the outside. I also have no idea what to do with other people’s emotions. When someone cries in front of me or gets really excited, the most they’ll get from me is a blank stare. I guess I’m kind of afraid of showing too much emotion in either way because I think people will judge me.

Despite this, I always try to be a nice person. At some point in my life I started questioning what people really thought of me, and started realizing that everyone else matters just as much as myself. Ever since then I try and check myself whenever I feel like I’m being selfish, and I try to be as genuine as possible. There are still times when I forget to do this, but I’m working on it.

One of the reasons I do this is that I often find that people think certain fictional characters are terrible people, when I can’t see anything wrong with them. For example, Piper and Larry from Orange is The New Black; everyone seems to think they’re real jerks, but I feel like everything they do is perfectly reasonable and something I might do myself in that situation. This has led me to some strange conclusions, to say the least.

Aaand, I've just realized I've written way too much. I hope this gives some insight into my personality type. It probably doesn't, but I guess it’s worth a try. Honestly, people are so complex that I really can’t see how their whole psyche can be represented in one of 16 categories. This mbti stuff is so addicting, though, even though I know it could just be complete bogus. It’s weird.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
INTP. I feeeeeel INTP. I thiiiink INTP. What do you think?
INTP is what I usually get on tests but I always thought that didn't really fit me. Partly because a lot of INTPs are mistypes, but also because I feel like I think pretty linearly, and a lot of the time an answer will be right in front of my nose and I just won't think of the problem that way... But I guess I could be? Also I find that INTPs on this site are one of the most annoying types because they think they're so much better than everyone else...

·
Registered
442 Posts
INTP is what I usually get on tests but I always thought that didn't really fit me. Partly because a lot of INTPs are mistypes, but also because I feel like I think pretty linearly, and a lot of the time an answer will be right in front of my nose and I just won't think of the problem that way... But I guess I could be? Also I find that INTPs on this site are one of the most annoying types because they think they're so much better than everyone else...
XD I get that, and I also get how INTPs could and can be annoying. But my mom is one, and it's one of my favorite types. And even within this sort of thing, every human is vastly different in their own ways. I feel like MBTI really mainly deals with the way a person's mind works the same as some other people. And then Enneagram sorta goes more into a person's character. But every person out there makes their own choices and defines themselves, and you make your own choices and define yourself. And I've met a few people who definitely are a certain type, but seem quite unlike all the others of the type. It's interesting. A type doesn't define you as much as show you what you prefer.

You could be an ISTP or something though. I'm gonna say what everyone always says and say to research functions. It's really helpful, intriguing, and fun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This whole reply is so true. My experience with mbti has been something like "Oh, this type seems to fit me... No, look at these small things that don't fit, this can't be my type." Repeat that for about 3/4 of the types. Now that I think about it though, this whole theory is not set rules but general guidelines for personality, trends I guess. I think I'm just going to go with INTP, it's what my family seems to think fits too. About the researching functions thing, I've already done that (a lot!) but I will definitely look into Enneagram. I've heard of it and never really thought it would be useful, but it seems interesting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts