Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a thread before; I know, I'm sorry. However, I feel I answered this questionnaire in more detail, or perhaps more honestly. Anyway I'd be grateful if someone tolerated this tripe so that they could give me an idea of my personality. God, I can't be very introspective, can I? Okay, I'll get on with it.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I'm not sure whether I am a thinker or a feeler. Or maybe I'm just wrong about everything. It's hard to tell.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Knowledge, because I'm interested in everything! Well, I don't really know why I'm interested, but I am, so there.
I don't have any specific ambitions. I'll most likely be a physics researcher, but I might change my mind. I've always liked the idea of writing a book, but I haven't got round to that yet.
I would like professional recognition of some sort, so I would feel like I'd contributed something worthwhile.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I felt like I was at my finest at my first interview at one of the universities I applied to. While I was waiting outside I was a nervous wreck. I was shivering, but I'm not sure if that was from nerves or cold (the bench was outside and it was December). The girl who was in before me walked past and said 'that was mental'. I shit myself (metaphorically). I felt awful. However, as soon as I was called in, I felt totally relaxed. I didn't stumble on any of the questions, and I got answers without much help. I enjoyed the questions because they were unlike anything I'd attempted before, but I understood the premises quickly and reasoned my way to an answer. Afterwards I waltzed out and felt fantastic. It was surprising, especially as most people had told me it would be awful and I would think it had gone horribly - but it was great fun!

4) What makes you feel inferior?

When someone thinks of a better solution than I did. Or writes better than I do. Or is generally more talented/intelligent than me.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

It depends on the kind of decision. If it's to do with people, I'll think about people. If it's not, I'll think about the pros and cons. If all else fails I'll go with my instinct.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

Project? All I can think of at the moment is the computing coursework I'm supposed to be finishing. I am terrible at coursework because I tend to rely on inspiration rather than planning. This is not usually a good thing because I get bugs in my program due to not thinking things through properly and being too hasty in executing my ideas.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I already did (Q3) but I'll try to think of something else. I can't think of a time I really had fun. Of course, I enjoy things, but not usually in an exhilarating way. Having a laugh with my friends is the only thing I can think of aside from talking about interesting things - but who doesn't like that?

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I just tend to absorb things. If I don't understand the principles behind an idea, won't even try to remember it - that would feel dishonest. That's why I don't like school that much; it's not deep enough. I am very grateful for teachers who don't stick to the syllabus. That said, when I did Spanish I found new words extremely easy to memorise (though I only really retained them until the vocabulary test - which was invariably 15 minutes away). I have a good memory and I rely heavily on it. I didn't revise for my AS levels and I did just fine. I rely on understanding things the first time around.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I am not the most organised person. I tried forcing myself to be organised and it's just exhausting. I have improved on this aspect of myself though; I nearly always do homework. I'm not very good at making myself do things I don't want to do, so I never do homework at home. It's a good job my mum works at the school, else I'd have a hard time getting things done. Speaking of which, my computing coursework has fallen somewhat by the wayside... that's because I've been left to my own devices.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

Those ways are not mutually exclusive, and I think I do both.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I'm very much an individualist, in the modern sense of the word. I value honesty highly.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I think before speaking, otherwise I'd make a right fool of myself. One-on-one communication is good for in-depth discussion; group discussions are useful for developing ideas.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speak more than words?

I suppose I tend to jump into action. I think on my feet, mostly. Well, I say that, but my day-to-day life doesn't involve nearly enough action for me to be sure.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favourite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

That never happens to me, so I don't know.
I could always catch up on the show; it's not important to watch it as soon as it's on. I'd have to take into consideration the nature of the night out as well - if it was a rave, I'd probably go. If it was a club/pub, I'd think twice. It would have to be something reasonably interesting.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I don't act stressed. I tend to ignore things I should find stressful. Sometimes I crack and compulsively tidy my room or something equally unproductive. I might cry or play my violin. I think it depends on how tired I am.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I dislike judgemental people, and people who have too much of an ego. People who have no sense of humour irritate me as well - I can't get on with someone who's too serious. I also find it difficult to get on with people who share none of my interests - I feel this is an obvious addition to the list but maybe it needs to be there.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Lots of things. Physics, programming, psychology, philosophy, music, literature, TV; you know, most things.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

Rules and things I have to do.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

I don't know; I don't have any particularly close friends. I think my acquaintances perceive me as funny and intelligent. My peers seem to vastly overestimate my intelligence. My teachers think I'm somewhat eccentric, or an eccentric-in-the-making, and I suppose they're right.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

It depends on how tired I am. If I'm fairly tired, I might just spend a while on the internet. I might read. Nowadays I might play my violin for a while; my interest in playing has rekindled somewhat. I might call on one of my friends. Maybe I'd go on a walk and sketch a bit. I don't know; I'd do what I wanted to do as soon as I knew I wanted to.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
I'm not sure whether I am a thinker or a feeler. Or maybe I'm just wrong about everything. It's hard to tell.
Might be an aux/tert pairing which would make it ambiguous to tell

Knowledge, because I'm interested in everything! Well, I don't really know why I'm interested, but I am, so there.
I don't have any specific ambitions. I'll most likely be a physics researcher, but I might change my mind. I've always liked the idea of writing a book, but I haven't got round to that yet.
I would like professional recognition of some sort, so I would feel like I'd contributed something worthwhile.
What sort of book would you write?

I felt like I was at my finest at my first interview at one of the universities I applied to. While I was waiting outside I was a nervous wreck. I was shivering, but I'm not sure if that was from nerves or cold (the bench was outside and it was December). The girl who was in before me walked past and said 'that was mental'. I shit myself (metaphorically). I felt awful. However, as soon as I was called in, I felt totally relaxed. I didn't stumble on any of the questions, and I got answers without much help. I enjoyed the questions because they were unlike anything I'd attempted before, but I understood the premises quickly and reasoned my way to an answer. Afterwards I waltzed out and felt fantastic. It was surprising, especially as most people had told me it would be awful and I would think it had gone horribly - but it was great fun!
Could mean Ni / Ti

When someone thinks of a better solution than I did. Or writes better than I do. Or is generally more talented/intelligent than me.
Definitely leaning more towards Ni or Ti or both here. Seems like you place subjective value on ideas and logic.

It depends on the kind of decision. If it's to do with people, I'll think about people. If it's not, I'll think about the pros and cons. If all else fails I'll go with my instinct.
Fe, Ti, Ni

Project? All I can think of at the moment is the computing coursework I'm supposed to be finishing. I am terrible at coursework because I tend to rely on inspiration rather than planning. This is not usually a good thing because I get bugs in my program due to not thinking things through properlyand being too hasty in executing my ideas.
Is this more an eagerness to see how your ideas actually work, or more because you trust your inspiration and don't feel the need to dig too deep into them logically? I would definitely say you have stronger N over T.

I just tend to absorb things. If I don't understand the principles behind an idea, won't even try to remember it - that would feel dishonest. That's why I don't like school that much; it's not deep enough. I am very grateful for teachers who don't stick to the syllabus. That said, when I did Spanish I found new words extremely easy to memorise (though I only really retained them until the vocabulary test - which was invariably 15 minutes away). I have a good memory and I rely heavily on it. I didn't revise for my AS levels and I did just fine. I rely on understanding things the first time around.
Ti coming through strongly here... subjective value on logic and knowledge.

I am not the most organised person. I tried forcing myself to be organised and it's just exhausting. I have improved on this aspect of myself though; I nearly always do homework. I'm not very good at making myself do things I don't want to do, so I never do homework at home. It's a good job my mum works at the school, else I'd have a hard time getting things done. Speaking of which, my computing coursework has fallen somewhat by the wayside... that's because I've been left to my own devices.
I can realate to all of this lol...

Those ways are not mutually exclusive, and I think I do both.
Inconclusive...

I'm very much an individualist, in the modern sense of the word. I value honesty highly.
Sounds like Fi maybe but could be driven by enneagram type 4?

I think before speaking, otherwise I'd make a right fool of myself. One-on-one communication is good for in-depth discussion; group discussions are useful for developing ideas.
Ti/Fe... the rest could go either way.

That never happens to me, so I don't know.
I could always catch up on the show; it's not important to watch it as soon as it's on. I'd have to take into consideration the nature of the night out as well - if it was a rave, I'd probably go. If it was a club/pub, I'd think twice. It would have to be something reasonably interesting.
Not sure about E / I here... addressing the comment in bold, why and why not for each of thos options?

I don't act stressed. I tend to ignore things I should find stressful. Sometimes I crack and compulsively tidy my roomor something equally unproductive. I might cry or play my violin. I think it depends on how tired I am.
Inferior S.. maybe Se

I dislike judgemental people, and people who have too much of an ego. People who have no sense of humour irritate me as well - I can't get on with someone who's too serious. I also find it difficult to get on with people who share none of my interests - I feel this is an obvious addition to the list but maybe it needs to be there.
Speaks to objective F... Fe...

Lots of things. Physics, programming, psychology, philosophy, music, literature, TV; you know, most things.
Fairly abstract topics... indicative of N over S.

Rules and things I have to do.
I don't know; I don't have any particularly close friends. I think my acquaintances perceive me as funny and intelligent. My peers seem to vastly overestimate my intelligence. My teachers think I'm somewhat eccentric, or an eccentric-in-the-making, and I suppose they're right.
Why do you say that?

It depends on how tired I am. If I'm fairly tired, I might just spend a while on the internet. I might read. Nowadays I might play my violin for a while; my interest in playing has rekindled somewhat. I might call on one of my friends. Maybe I'd go on a walk and sketch a bit. I don't know; I'd do what I wanted to do as soon as I knew I wanted to.
Sounds more towards the introvert side now...

All in all you sound pretty much like an N dom on the Fe/Ti axis... which points to INFJ (Ni - Fe - Ti -Se). How do your functions stack when you take the cognitive test?

Jungian Cognitive Function Quiz

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What sort of book would you write?
Most likely I'd write some kind of pop-sci book, but ideally I'd want to write fiction. One idea I had but never fleshed out was a novel that consisted of a conversation between a bus driver and a passenger that gradually reveals that the bus driver is suicidal and misanthropic and will drive the bus off a cliff or crash it with the passenger on board. It ends with the passenger killing the driver, and the bulk of it would have been the passenger's internal conflict.
Another idea was to focus on the life of a young guy who was waiting for his parents to die so he would inherit their money. His parents would keep nearly dying (how hilarious).

Is this more an eagerness to see how your ideas actually work, or more because you trust your inspiration and don't feel the need to dig too deep into them logically? I would definitely say you have stronger N over T.
Basically I get an idea and think it's great and nothing could possibly go wrong, but I fail to focus on the details, so it does end up going wrong.

Not sure about E / I here... addressing the comment in bold, why and why not for each of those options?
Well, I'm interested in psychedelics and MDMA (though I am yet to try either). Thus, I became interested in attending a rave. I think it would feel great to dance without inhibitions. I even dance to the crappy music at the sixth form parties I've been to; dancing is just so fun. I like the idea of getting so entranced by the music that you barely notice anything else. At the same time though, I appreciate the social aspect of dancing and enjoy ceilidhs a lot.
At a pub/club however, I'd be forced to put up with shit music, which is kind of hard for me to do. On the other hand, at a pub, conversation would be the main focus (I imagine) which would be enjoyable. A club would probably be far too obnoxiously loud; I eouldn't enjoy having to shout to hear anybody.

Why do you say that?
One of my friends called me a 'genius' when I helped her with homework, another says I'm the smartest person he knows, one of my classmates was surprised I 'only' got an A in GCSE maths because he 'thought you were the cleverest out of all of us'...
I'm nowhere near as intelligent as all that. I suppose I give that impression because I ask a lot of questions and have a good memory. But while I might understand things conceptually, I can get bogged down in silly algebraic errors. I'm pretty bad at geometry as well; in mechanics trigonometry is essential for resolving forces and often I just don't see where the triangles are meant to be/where angles recur.

All in all you sound pretty much like an N dom on the Fe/Ti axis... which points to INFJ (Ni - Fe - Ti -Se). How do your functions stack when you take the cognitive test?

Jungian Cognitive Function Quiz

Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.6
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||||||||||| 10.22
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) |||||||||||||||| 7.395
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) ||||||||||||||| 6.98
Extroverted Thinking (Te) |||||||||||| 5.16
Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||| 4.39
Extroverted Sensation (Se) ||||||||| 3.57
Introverted Sensation (Si) |||||| 2

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did the similar minds test and I got different results.. not sure which set are more reliable..

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (0%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (90%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (90%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (70%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (10%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (35%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (55%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (100%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - infp

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
@starvingautist

Interesting results... by the first one I would have said clear INFJ... The first is clear Ti/Fe axis and clear dominant Ni... second is the opposite... conundrum...

I find that 90% Ti and 0% Te hard to stomach for INFP... either Ti is influencing the F answers... or vise versa. Not sure which.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
@starvingautist

Interesting results... by the first one I would have said clear INFJ... The first is clear Ti/Fe axis and clear dominant Ni... second is the opposite... conundrum...

I find that 90% Ti and 0% Te hard to stomach for INFP... either Ti is influencing the F answers... or vise versa. Not sure which.
At the very least, the results suggest a preference for Ti. It also suggests inferior Se.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Jinsei
Damn! I thought as much... okay, I did another questionnaire; this one's from the socionics section. Hopefully it will clarify rather than confuse.

Personal concepts

1. What is beauty? What is love?

I feel as though I am totally unqualified to answer this question! I haven't read nearly enough about aesthetics to have an opinion that makes sense. With that caveat, I suppose I'll give it a shot. If something has beauty, it moves you in some way. The emotion it elicits is not disgust; if you feel disgusted by an object then it is ugly. Something beautiful might make you feel in awe; a sunset or view from a mountain would do this for me. On the other hand, it might make you cry. Often it would be music that conjures sadness, an example being Rachmaninov's second piano concerto (second movement).
Love is something you can feel towards a person. It makes you feel complete when you are together. You care deeply about them. When you are together, or thinking about them, you might feel a kind of euphoria. This phenomenon would be most frequent towards the beginning of the relationship; after a while you might just feel mutual dependence upon the other person.

2. What are your most important values?

One of the most important things for me is to question everything. I won't accept an order until I know the reasoning behind it. I value integrity, and lack of this will mean I judge a person harshly. I also value empathy and justice. I hate things that are unfair. In fact, maybe I don't value empathy that much - I don't know how well I use it. Justice forms the basis of my political beliefs.

3. Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?

No. I just don't have a reason to. I've never believed in a 'higher power' because I don't see a reason to. I never really thought about it, and now I have, I don't see any logic behind belief in a god. The vast majority of humans have empathy, which is where morals come from, so religious imposition of morality is unnecessary. There is no possible value in religion or spiritualism.

4. Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?

I hate war. They are never wars of the people, they are wars of money. A military career is not an honorable one - it is merely following orders; orders that are not even in your interests! If you had an iota of critical thought, you wouldn't join the army. It is an abuse of power to have a military.
Power, to me, is as it is defined in the dictionary. How do you gain it? Well, currently you gain it by gaining money. Money is, essentially, power. Another way to gain power is to learn things. Knowledge is a form of power but it is not as socially influential as money. By having knowledge, though, you can influence the people with the money and in turn influence society.

Interests

5. What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?

Hmm, long conversations... well, I had one about dark matter with a postdoc; that was awesome. I'm not sure really.. my conversations tend to jump from topic to topic. I suppose I can get heated when talking about politics, and any conversation about one of my interests will last a while. I had one a while back with a cellist; I was talking about scales and practising. Generally, people don't share my interests so I don't get to talk about them much.
My interest are most things. Usually my interests manifest themselves in a binge which fizzles out for no particular reason. However, my phases tend to recur, so my interests are constant in that respect. I'm interested in physics, computers, philosophy, psychology, literature, art and music. The most prominent of my interests is physics; that's what my degree is going to be in.
Why am I interested in these things? Because they're interesting! I'm generally a curious person. I want to learn constantly. I'm usually reading a book of some kind. Physics is the most satisfying of my interests because you know that what you're learning is really objectively true. I pursue music, art and literature for a different reason. I've played the violin for almost ten years, so music is a huge part of my life. I love its capability to move you, even if you don't draw parallels to your own life. Literature is much the same, but I do feel as though I learn from it. Art is different; it doesn't tend to move me but it intrigues me. I appreciate the skill behind artwork, similarly with literature and music, but this forms the basis of my judgement of it rather than its capacity to move me in some way. I've enjoyed drawing since I could hold a pencil, so art has been part of my life longer than music, but I don't think it's as important to me (though if I lost my skill at drawing I would feel terrible).

6. Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?

Not particularly. Sometimes I enjoy cooking as long as it's something new. I occasionally invent new combinations of food but it's not too important to me as long as there is variety in my diet.

7. What do you think of daily chores?

I don't do them. My room is rather untidy as a result.

8. Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.

One of my favourite books is 'Crime and Punishment'. I read it a couple of years ago so forgive my hazy memory. What I remember most most is the conversation between Porfiry and Raskolnikov, where Raskolnikov was close to cracking. It was such a painful scene for me; I just kept thinking "don't say anything, you idiot!". Raskolnikov's struggle was hard to 'watch'. Overall, the book felt delightfully weird.
Another book I loved is 'Les Miserables'. First of all, Victor Hugo's writing is simply exquisite. It was so easy to read and at the same time so beautiful. The characters seemed so real too; the way Hugo wrote made them very easy to get to know. I wish the book was longer in fact; it drew me in very tightly.

As for films, I'm not much of a film buff but here goes. 'Taxi Driver' is one I enjoyed; the strangeness of it appealed to me. Travis was a really interesting character; his interior monologue was the best part of the film.
I also appreciated 'A Serbian Film', though I did see the abridged version. Again, it is a bizarre film and really gripping at the same time. It felt like a dream; the atmosphere was almost identical to how I feel in a dream (my dreams are always very strange).
'Gummo' is another film I would rank highly. You can probably see the theme here - I like odd films!
Aside from the bizarre, I love the humorous. 'Submarine', 'Life of Brian', 'Annie Hall', 'Hot Fuzz', 'Megamind', anything good - but most 'comedies' are completely shit.

9. What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?

Most recently, I cried because Rachmaninov moved me to. Other than that I cried when I thought my ex was ignoring me (we are friends and I care about him). I was wondering what I'd done, and ignoring me wasn't like him at all. Turns out he just lost his phone.
I smile at funny things like Black Books or my mum. Because they're funny.

10. Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?

At one with the environment: when I'm camping or hiking.
A sense of belonging: I don't know what that feels like, particularly. I guess when my people laugh at something I say.

Evaluation & Behaviour

11. What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?

My main weakness is laziness. It stops me from reaching my full potential, but I can't help it much. I tried being organised but it got too much for me.
I don't like how I can just use people sometimes - I feel like I don't reciprocate enough. One thing I did that I was thinking about a couple of nights ago was when a boy asked me out to the cinema. I knew he had liked me for a long time, and that I didn't feel the same way, but for some reason I said I'd like to go. Sometimes I don't know how to say 'no'. Anyway, it was awkward. A while later, at school, one of his friends asked me how it went. I didn't want him to think I felt a way I didn't so I said 'oh, I just went so I could see a film for free'. Now, that's not precisely true, but I feel terrible thinking about it. I can often be far too cold. There are numerous other examples but I don't care to elaborate.

12. What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?

My only strengths are intelligence and sense of humour.

13. In what areas of your life would you like help?

My cuntiness.

14. Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.

Yeah, recently. I just felt extremely restless and caged in. This was when I was making an effort to be organised. I felt like I couldn't be myself; I didn't have enough time to just relax.

People & Interactions

15. What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?

A shared sense of humour is one of the most important factors in getting on with someone. Shared interests are also important - we have to have something to talk about, obviously!
Something I dislike in a person is judgementality. I value openness.

16. How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?

Currently I am not seeking romance or sex, but it will be nice once I find someone I like. In a partner I'd want intelligence, kindness (more important than intelligence), similar values/politics, shared interests and a shared sense of humour.

17. If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?

I don't currently plan on having a child, but if I did I would try and teach it lots of things. I would try to cultivate its curiosity. My main concern would be having a child who was not inquisitive. I dunno, I'm probably not suited to child-rearing.

18. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?

It depends on what kind of beliefs the claim clashed with. If it was a moral/political belief, I would argue with them. I'd feel like I was right, and I'd feel angry if what they said was selfish. If it wasn't, then I would ask for the reasoning behind the claim and argue against it if it was illogical, and accept it if not.

19. Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.

I don't see 'society' as a homogeneous lump. It's full of different people and different beliefs, so making an argument against 'society' is a fallacy. However, I don't simply accept the status quo. I challenge the current political system.
The most prevalent social problem is money. Secondarily, inheritance. The system is not meritocratic and I find that highly disagreeable.

20. How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?

I don't choose who my friends are; I meet someone and either I get on with them or I don't. Around my friends I simply behave like myself. Sometimes I might act more outgoing than I usually feel.

21. How do you behave around strangers?

In conversation, I try to be affable but if I disagree with them they will know it. I generally won't seek conversation with a stranger.

·
I love my everything
10,949 Posts
@Moonious
I usually test as INTP but my functions don't seem to match up when I test them separately.
Hm, yes. The first test was heavily INFJ but the second was more INTP. Have you tried reading about the functions, especially Ni vs Ne and Si vs Se? And just in case, have you read the INFJ vs INTP descriptions? :tongue: Those are where I would start, if you haven't done so already. The cog. function tests can be inaccurate at times when it comes down to individual functions. Also, I recommend hanging out in the INFJ and INTP subforums and see which one you fit in more with.

Good luck!

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
@Moonious
I usually test as INTP but my functions don't seem to match up when I test them separately.
I tested as an INTP for years... still do sometimes... sometimes INFP. Primary Ni in and INFJ tends to screw with the J/P axis because Ni is such a heavy perceiving function. Figuring out if you are Ne/Si or Ni/Se would be key here in discerning between the two. Try my image test in scenario 7 here:

http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my...ive-scenario-questionnaire-2-0-self-type.html

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Moonious
I've just been reading about Ni and Ne, and I'm not sure which I use. I'll give an example of a typical intuitive process.

I saw a video of a guy trying to explain Einstein's ideas about gravity in the usual way - placing objects on some fabric and making the analogy between that and spacetime. I didn't feel comfortable with this explanation (indeed, I generally hate analogies because they don't explain the ACTUAL system; they just give you the false impression that you understand what is going on) because it was tautological. He was using gravity to explain gravity.

Now move forward in (space)time a few months. I'm at an after-school physics lecture about relativity. The professor says something (I can't remember what) that makes me think about the video I'd seen a few months ago. I realise that the bending of spacetime is best described as the shifting of equipotentials rather than bending physically into a fourth dimension.

Fast forward another couple of days. I'm fairly stoned, if that changes anything. I start thinking about gravity again and the existence of other universes and whether travel between them defies the meaning of the word 'universe'. What is space? It's essentially anywhere a field of some sort reaches. This means the universe is infinite because fields are. However, at some point the fields will peter out to the extent that you can't perceive anything there - space effectively ends for a bit. The fields don't though; they'd just extend onwards indefinitely, allowing for disturbances that aren't detectable from other space-bubbles. This means that separate universes could exist and you could travel between them (albeit bringing your own universe with you).

And there ends that thought process.

Usually I don't come to a conclusion like that; in class my teacher will be explaining an idea and I'll come up with a connection to a new idea in a flash of insight. That's how my intuition usually manifests itself.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
@starvingautist

Which one of these descriptions fits how you intuit:

As far as abstract intuition goes... Ne starts at a point... usually something fed to it externally... and expands outward generating possibilities and making more and more connections to one thing after another. Ni takes the big expansive picture and tries to focus it like a lens focuses sunlight... bringing millions of tiny photons together into one bright point of light... the underlying meaning and connection of it all. Ni gets fed the big expansive picture through Se and most of the dot connecting between the elements of what Se feeds it is done at the subconscious level until the final image resolves into that singular point of light and drops into conscious thought as an AHA!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Jinsei
Those trees are very bright green. Why are there dead trees next to them when there is clearly enough water to go around? The green trees must be evergreen, and it must be winter. The light has a certain morning chill to it that would support this, though the foliage of the green trees doesn't look especially spindly. I like how the water has a purple tint to it, and how the rocks are almost navy. I can't tell if this is a cave or a canyon. It would be weird if trees were growing in a cave. It must be a canyon.
I think I went off on this tangent because I find the image fairly boring aesthetically, so had to find something else of interest in order to write something worthwhile.
I don't find the photo visually appealing; the green seems jarring. If the evergreens weren't there I'd find it much nicer to look at, but at the same time more boring.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
@Jinsei
Those trees are very bright green. Why are there dead trees next to them when there is clearly enough water to go around? The green trees must be evergreen, and it must be winter. The light has a certain morning chill to it that would support this, though the foliage of the green trees doesn't look especially spindly. I like how the water has a purple tint to it, and how the rocks are almost navy. I can't tell if this is a cave or a canyon. It would be weird if trees were growing in a cave. It must be a canyon.
I think I went off on this tangent because I find the image fairly boring aesthetically, so had to find something else of interest in order to write something worthwhile.
I don't find the photo visually appealing; the green seems jarring. If the evergreens weren't there I'd find it much nicer to look at, but at the same time more boring.
I'm going with Ni/Se here... Se attention to detail... Ni trying to understand and relate what it is seeing to the underlying possible cause. Se: Dead trees and green trees together is odd --> Why is that? --> DING DING DING Ni says it's winter.

The fact that it didn't appeal to you probably had a negative effect on exciting the N side of things a bit, but it was still there.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Jinsei
Hmm. I think Ni is what I experience. I have a lot of 'lightbulb' moments where I'm told something, and then I connect it to something else and it all makes sense (or I need to ask another question to make more connections). I don't make connections willy-nilly; only if the old idea seems plausibly related to the new idea or I had already thought the old idea could link to something like the new idea.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
@Jinsei
Hmm. I think Ni is what I experience. I have a lot of 'lightbulb' moments where I'm told something, and then I connect it to something else and it all makes sense (or I need to ask another question to make more connections). I don't make connections willy-nilly; only if the old idea seems plausibly related to the new idea or I had already thought the old idea could link to something like the new idea.
I would agree... and thought as much. My original assertion of INFJ stands in my opinion. Your avatar cracks me up by the way! Love it!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Jinsei
Well, thanks for your help! I'd never even considered INFJ before, probably because I don't think my Fe is very well-developed. It makes a lot of sense though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts