Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've taken a Socionics test before but haven't really understood the theory enough to 100% say whether it was correct or not (I had to research a lot into MBTI to type myself there, so...). If you don't mind, could you look this over? I only answered a few questions of it for now, but I hope it'll be sufficient.

1. Is it worse to fail at something or never attempt it in the first place?

It depends on how likely you are to fail, and how dire the consequences are of failing. Will you lose a lot of time? Effort? Will you inconvenience or harm others? As a rule of thumb, it's better to gather new experiences even if it may be uncomfortable, but the reality is some mistakes actually don't have to be made. I admit that I'm more risk-averse than I should be, and that I've played things safe when perhaps I should have followed my heart--but there are times when I have and I really wish I didn't, hehe. Sometimes I wonder if I've made the right decisions, but often for those high-risk items, ultimately there's no way to experience both futures, and I couldn't say whether it was right or wrong.

2. If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?
3. To what extent do you shape your own destiny, and how much is down to fate?

This is a bit of an ambiguous question. Fate as it's normally understood: if ultimately everything was predetermined, this still doesn't change that we must live day by day. Without knowing what's to come (which is apparently independent of any choice we could make), then we have no choice but to live how we do already--that is, as if we did have a choice.

Fate as meaning that some things can never happen, and some things will always happen: I think there are things which some people will never be capable of, and some things towards which people will always gravitate, no matter how hard they pull in another direction. The future, like people, can be changed, but only by so much.

4. What happens after we die?

It's an interesting question. We cannot ever verify the answer, but unfortunately some people need to be rewarded with a heaven to be convinced to do good, some people need to know there's a greater purpose in their life than the day to day, some people can't stand the thought of there being no justice. I find myself wandering in that last category quite a bit, and have fantasized about a nirvana sort of end where everyone has to experience everyone else's lives--well, at least the lives of those they've impacted. But most of me truly thinks that when we die, we just die...now if only I could be that rational about superstitions hehe.

5. Should people care more about doing the right thing, or doing things right?

Well, taking this question literally, doing the right thing, of course. But there's usually a reason for rules and regulations--somebody, somewhere, has hit that edge case that made somebody go 'huh. Well this will take more time and be more annoying, but we don't want that to happen again.' So if you come into a conflict between the two, you do have to ask yourself--'why might this be here? Better to be safe than sorry? Am I the one who's being arrogant?' Doing the right thing should be tempered with humility.

6. What one piece of advice would you offer to a newborn infant?
7. Where is the line between insanity and creativity?

Creativity is taking in reality and outputting something innovative. Insanity is losing touch with reality and outputting a mistake. In practice, usually the distinction is made in how much you've harmed the world around you.

8. What is true happiness?
9. What things hold you back from doing the things that you really want to?
10. What makes you, you?

Hmm I find the way this question is worded to be something that concerns more self-centered people haha. But I really truly despise hypocritical people, so I'd say, you're you when you're consistent with your values.

11. What is the truth?

The truth is what happened. This is not a mutable thing. That some people try to be all philosophical with it is really rather irritating, because then they think if they talk long enough, science and proofs can be changed to match how they 'feel' instead. Yes, when we talk about relationships between people, it can be subjective as to who was to blame, who made the first move, etc etc, but while we use the word 'truth' here in a casual sense, strictly speaking there may simply not be a truth (you can also say there are multiple truths). Where there is no agreement in principle there can be no argument, no system of axioms can be prove all problems...yes I did take a few math courses hehe. But the point is that we have to accept that sometimes you can't prove another person wrong. But that doesn't mean objective truths don't exist, and designing experiments to find them is what the scientific method is all about.

12. If lying is wrong, are white lies okay?

Well, since making someone feel bad might also be wrong, now it's a matter of weighing your two principles. There's a lot of factors to weigh--what are the consequences? See question 1 again I guess.

13. How do you know your perceptions are real?

It's hard, usually you can't confirm. It's important to keep an open mind and acknowledge that you can be wrong, and actively check that what is happening is in line with your perceptions--if you find evidence to the contrary, then you should probably rethink your theories. Of course, we can't let the possibility of being wrong stop us from moving forward--it's a very delicate balance of being sure enough to move forward, and being self-aware and humble enough to be able to change course.

14. What makes a good friend?
15. Why do people fear losing things that they do not even have yet?
16. Who decides what morality is?

Umm I could probably write a lot about this haha but I don't have the time to write and nobody would have the time to read. Suffices to say that I've always admired Immanuel Kant's exactness and objectivity--he was the one who said that a moral action is one where if everyone does it, society is made better. (Yes, Kant was problematic himself, but I guess that doesn't invalidate my agreement with this sentence.) And he also mentioned that someone has done something moral if they do it for the good of others but do not derive any personal joy for doing it, though of course I think there are also cases where both is fine; it's just the first part is critical. I accept that many people have different moral systems that work for them, and it's a bit of a live and let live situation. I'd only ask that they have to be consistent in applying their moral codes, that their moral codes have to be internally consistent rather, otherwise it's just hypocrisy (dare I say immorality?).

17. What is the difference between living and being alive?
18. Is a “wrong” act okay if nobody ever knows about it?

How much was the world/people impacted by it? For example, it's probably fine to steal one candy out of hundreds in a candy jar. It's not fine to take any money out of someone's wallet, because they would have used that (whereas the candy, maybe they could have done without. I guess it's still a little bad, but who cares, as long as they didn't explicitly tell you not to eat it? I have to admit though, it sure is hard to think of wrong acts that don't impact ANYBODY...maybe driving offroad somewhere abandoned where you're not supposed to, that seems innocent enough. That's probably okay, though first refer to the answer to Q5.

19. Is there a reason to life?

My reason (or at least, a reason which I think is necessary to it) is to contribute to society, to be a good cog in the machine. I don't think that there's a higher power demanding I do it, though.

20. How do you know that your experience of consciousness is the same as other people’s experience of consciousness?

I can't! But if I don't make a few assumptions, how live? How function?

21. What is true strength?
22. What is true love?
23. Is a family still relevant in the modern world?

Yes? What about the modern world has made a family irrelevant? Is it that we now have access to a larger pool of people? I can almost see where there the debate might come in for this problem but ooh I'm tired... I mostly just answered this to say that I would shake my head at anybody who says family used to be relevant and no longer is.

24. What role does honor play in today’s society?

I once read a book that said honor was a stand-in for credibility--that where there was an unreliable or nonexistent higher system of justice, you relied on your honor and name to promise reward for people who stick by you and punishment for people who cross you. I think in many places, this is still true. Honor is also a good vehicle to keep people honest, where apparently without it they figure they'd just do whatever they feel like even if they know it's bad? I can only assume.

25. If money cannot buy happiness, can you ever be truly happy with no money?

Well, not a lot of starving people are very happy, some basic needs do need to be met before we get into the 'does this third TV actually make me happier' route, and those usually require money.

26. How should people live their lives?
27. How much control do you have over your life?
28. What is freedom?
29. Isn’t one person’s terrorist another person’s freedom fighter?
30. Does nature shape our personalities more than nurture?
31. What defines you?
32. What do people strive for after enlightenment?
33. Do we have a soul?

If we did or didn't, what difference does it really make? It's not like not having a metaphysical spirit would make us less sentient and less emotional. I like the idea a lot in fantasy/sci-fi, but ahh to say things like animals are lesser because they don't have a soul and we do...I don't even know what the point is.

34. What is intelligence?
35. Do you make your own decisions, or let others make them for you?

Let others, for better or worse. It's important to me to keep, say, my family happy, so if they really want something, and it doesn't sound abhorrent to me, I'll bite the bullet. Sometimes I wish I hadn't, but I just didn't have enough objective information about the decision at the time I think. I'm better at putting my foot down now haha.
I also do defer to experts in matters of say finance and whatnot. There's too much to learn to be good at it all, so specialization is important.

36. What is reality?

See answer to Q11 about truth.

37. Is trust more important than love?

I'm trying to imagine loving someone that I didn't trust. I mean, it's okay if they lie here and there, but I should trust that they have certain values and moral standards before I can consider possibly loving them. Am I misunderstanding this question?

38. Is it easier to love or be loved?

Depends on the people involved, I suppose. I couldn't stand it one-sided either way haha--for a few years I did pine after someone, but we did eventually get married, so. I wonder, if he had really been completely uninterested in me and made that clear, would I have just shrugged and moved on? The world will never know. There were other times when somebody was interested in me and I didn't reciprocate, but honestly I doubt it was anything super serious and deep on their side either, so it's also not great evidence for this question.

39. Is it better to love and lose or never to love?
40. Do aliens exist?

Statistically, very very probable. Once you've heard about the sheer scale of the universe, to say that we're literally the only rock in the whole universe to form any sort of sentient life is arrogant to the extreme. Let's talk about Fermi's paradox instead hehe.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
INTP or ENTP.your type of essentially lies in your use of Fe is or lack there of.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Let others, for better or worse. It's important to me to keep, say, my family happy, so if they really want something, and it doesn't sound abhorrent to me, I'll bite the bullet. Sometimes I wish I hadn't, but I just didn't have enough objective information about the decision at the time I think. I'm better at putting my foot down now haha.
I also do defer to experts in matters of say finance and whatnot. There's too much to learn to be good at it all, so specialization is important.
As for the bolded, I think I had that issue too before but then I made a rule about getting more information first before agreeing to such decisions. I guess you do this too now? :)

Btw I looked at this thread because I was looking at something in your posts. :) I can't say your type otherwise, sorry, just the above struck me as something to comment on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As for the bolded, I think I had that issue too before but then I made a rule about getting more information first before agreeing to such decisions. I guess you do this too now? :)

Btw I looked at this thread because I was looking at something in your posts. :) I can't say your type otherwise, sorry, just the above struck me as something to comment on.
Hehe well I've always tried to do that, but there are cases where you don't know what you're lacking or what questions to ask to even search for information, and there are cases where you delude yourself into thinking something will work because you really want it to...I was thinking of a particular case of the former scenario, but really I describe at least both of those. Nowadays I have more confidence in my gut feelings, and I care less about what my family wants vs. what I want :laughing:

No prob, you always make interesting posts ^^

And regarding INTP/ENTP typing, sometimes I wish I were ENTP honestly haha. They often have qualities I lack but wish I had.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hehe well I've always tried to do that, but there are cases where you don't know what you're lacking or what questions to ask to even search for information, and there are cases where you delude yourself into thinking something will work because you really want it to...I was thinking of a particular case of the former scenario, but really I describe at least both of those. Nowadays I have more confidence in my gut feelings, and I care less about what my family wants vs. what I want :laughing:
Yeah, for the former case, I just request a bit of time to reflect on my own before I can give an answer. Or before I can even know what I'm lacking or what questions to ask to get more information. It's crucial that I be alone during this time. That's me, I don't know about you.

Well, ok, I can actually manage with stuff while not alone, if I can just focus very hard on the issue itself and tune out the other people around me waiting for me or possibly trying to interact with me in whatever way. It just find it's way simpler to manage it cognitively when alone.

No prob, you always make interesting posts ^^

And regarding INTP/ENTP typing, sometimes I wish I were ENTP honestly haha. They often have qualities I lack but wish I had.
You are very S in my opinion, your answers in the questionnaire are very practical and tangible. I see myself in a lot of the reasoning style actually. :laughing:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts