Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of the MBTI and cognitive function tests I have taken give my results as INTP. This really sounds like me, the phrase "absent-minded professor" describes me almost perfectly... but I would like to get a second opinion from all you PerC experts because some thing's don't quite fit. Maybe I have traits from multiple types? That would seem like it'd be pretty common.

So without further ado here's my questionnaire:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
It seems like I have too great of an ability to interact with people to be an INTP... I can easily connect and understand the emotions of others, which is not really a typical INTP trait from what I understand.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I want to be knowledgeable, respected, and loved. Who doesn't want these three things in life?

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I am at my finest when presented with a problem or an argument, and I have to use what I know to come up with an answer/theory/explanation on the spot. Thinking on my feet.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Not knowing how to do something or being proven wrong.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I generally make most of my decisions based on what will work for the moment, but big decisions require a little more time and thought.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Yes, I would always like to have control over the outcome of a project so I prefer to work alone, if I work in a group I feel that I need to take on the role of 'expert,' sometimes to the relief of others and sometimes to their annoyance.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
When I went to California for a hunting trip. I remember being on my own and experiencing nature, and I really enjoyed the sense of solitude.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
All three. I like to know and memorize the theory behind something so I know where it originated and how it came about, but that is really a waste of time if you can't apply the concept in your life hands on.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
No organization whatsoever. But I can usually find important stuff. Usually....

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Look for information supporting the idea.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
The first one, but as I said I would prefer not to work in a group so I don't feel I have to manage.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Usually what I say is pretty carefully planned out, but if I'm just arguing with someone off the top of my head I can get a little ahead of myself.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Action always speaks louder than words.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Depends on what they're doing

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
My temper gets short, I become withdrawn and negative

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Controlling people, people who feel they are superior

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Theories, ideas, politics

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
I tend to neglect my own feelings towards something if I feel that "going along to get along" is the best way to do things.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ? @Laney knows me rather well. We have some history so there will of course be bias, but if you want to know just what she thinks of me ask her. Something she would never say about me would probably be that I am uncaring or without emotion.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Go for a hike, read a book, do some fishing... maybe watch a good WWII documentary

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
istp? i dunno >.<
Ti, Se, Fi, Ne. does that work for you?
My strongest functions are Ti, Se, and Te (usually in that order) and by far my weakest is Fi, usually when I test it comes close to zero or negative, Se is poorly developed as well, other functions are moderate.

Edit: and ISTP may be a possibility, usually tests will say I am INTP or ISTP

·
Banned
596 Posts
My strongest functions are Ti, Se, and Te (usually in that order) and by far my weakest is Fi, usually when I test it comes close to zero or negative, Se is poorly developed as well, other functions are moderate.

Edit: and ISTP may be a possibility, usually tests will say I am INTP or ISTP
Certainly ISTP, the answers you gave me give me that vibe and your functions order fits too. Don't you mean that Si is poorly developed?
ISTP's are easy to pick out because they usually give short straightfoward answers.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Certainly ISTP, the answers you gave me give me that vibe and your functions order fits too. Don't you mean that Si is poorly developed?
ISTP's are easy to pick out because they usually give short straightfoward answers.
Haha.. oops. Yes, Si not Se. And I don't really think I give too many short, straightforward answers.. Not when writing an essay for school or looking back on my posts so far at PerC. Could I be 50/50 ISTP and INTP?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm. I have to disagree with the other answers and say you're an ENTP or, like the others have said, an ISTP.
Hmm. I've been checking out the forums for both ISTP and ENTP, and I still say INTP seems to fit the best, and ENTP is second. It seems like the big difference is whether I enjoy working more in the realm of theory or practice, and I am definitely more in the 'theory' camp. Doesn't mean I can't change the oil and belts and fluid on my car and so forth, but I would just rather sit around and think of big, abstract ideas than build something

Maybe I'm just completely crazy?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I got maybe half-way through your self-description before I settled on my type for you. I would say you're an ENTP, I'm going to agree with @TwistMeSweetly. ENTPs are the most friendly, most person-concerned NT.
And in this kind of situation, keeping track of function order only complicates things. I find it much more useful to focus on the type as a whole, rather than the sum of its parts. Certain functions are most necessary/useful in certain situations, and those situations you're in has much more to do with your stage in life (e.g. school, work, etc.). Don't get confused with a reductionist perspective here.

There was one response in your questionnaire that really gave me insight into your temperament:
2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I want to be knowledgeable, respected, and loved. Who doesn't want these three things in life?
Firstly, "Who doesn't want these three things in life?" is a question that, you will learn as you study typology more, has very little truthfulness. You'd be surprised how many people DON'T want those things, at least not as much as you do.
But to see how important those are to you, how you emphasize your desire, that speaks volumes. Your desire to be "knowledgeable" is very indicative of an NT. NTs fear failure and incompetence more than any other temperament (the others being NF, SJ, SP).
Your desire to be "respected" really shows your outward focus. An INTP typically do not give much weight to others' opinions of them. They're typically focused on their next theorem or system design. You seem to me an Extrovert, because you're concerned with other people, and more generally, what occurs outside of yourself. You're psychic energy seems to me to be focused outwards. The activities you mentioned you enjoy, namely fishing, or watching WWII documentaries, shows that you like to do things, not just sit an think.
Your desire to be "loved", now we see ENTP. ENTPs are the most friendly, and typically most passionate NTs when it comes to interpersonal relationships.

So I'm going to say you're an ENTP. You seem to be an NTP for sure, and I don't think you doubt it much either. I think slapping an E on there shines some light on your concern for other people.

Think Sherlock Holmes, Tony Stark aka Iron Man, Sirius Black (from the Harry Potter series)... some good examples of fictional ENTPs.
Some good examples of real ENTPs in history are Walt Disney, Nicola Tesla, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison, Maria Montessori... the list goes on.

·
Banned
596 Posts
I would love to know why some people see ENTP or N in him.
There is clearly a high Se preference, and I can say without doubt that he has Ti (even the funtions test gave him Se).

Hunting, hiking, fishing, all things that seem to fit with people who have Extraverted Sensing. And something important for him is that he can put the theory into practice, this can show Te or Se. But I don't see any Te in his post, mostly Ti and Se. History and technology are things a lot of ISTP's seem to like, it's logical and factual but still concrete in some way. All the parts together make me think he is an ISTP.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe this will clear things up a little for you guys
-Personally I don't consider myself an extrovert, I won't go out of the way to meet people and be the center of attention, etc. but if I find myself in a situation that requires it I don't have much trouble. I have no problems talking with people about things that interest me, and I luckily know enough stuff that I can fake interest and carry on conversation when I have to.
-I like to hike and camp and fish, but generally I like to do my activities alone or with a select group of friends. I have just gone camping with a few random groups of people and hated it.
-I am really affectionate towards my partners in my relationships, almost to the point of it becoming a little too obnoxious if that person doesn't like to be treated that way

So... I am socially competent, yes, but when given the choice I am not all that social

·
Banned
596 Posts
I still think NT. It's just the way your mind works, your thought processes and interests compared to the SP's I know are world's apart.
I guess you are the person that knows him well. I only know his interests and his thought processes based on what I see in his OP and his forum reactions. And there I see somebody with a very strong Ti and to a lesser extent Se. I don't see any Ne in him.
I also think he is an introvert, introverts are not always hermits that are not capable of having normal social conversations. He likes solitude; I guess he gets energized by walking in the forests or fishing alone.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still think NT. It's just the way your mind works, your thought processes and interests compared to the SP's I know are world's apart.
That's why I was leaning more towards ENTP rather than ISTP for an alternative.... but I'm pretty sure I have more introverted tendencies than extroverted so INTP wins again it seems

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I could be wrong, I am definitely not an expert on the functions and how their order/usage affects type. I'm just going off of personal experience with the two types.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right now what method I am using instead of taking test after test is to browse content on the forums and see which one seems to be the most 'me.' So far that's still INTP, and I would assume that if you feel you are a certain type that's more than half the battle. Maybe depending on how things are going for me at the time I alternate between INTP/ENTP

·
Registered
721 Posts
-Personally I don't consider myself an extrovert, I won't go out of the way to meet people and be the center of attention, etc. but if I find myself in a situation that requires it I don't have much trouble. I have no problems talking with people about things that interest me, and I luckily know enough stuff that I can fake interest and carry on conversation when I have to.
Contrary to popular belief, that's not what extroverted means. Extroverts need not regularly seek out social interactions. It's all about where one's focus tends to be. If one focus mostly on the external world, they are extroverted. If internal, then they are introverted.

Right now what method I am using instead of taking test after test is to browse content on the forums and see which one seems to be the most 'me.' So far that's still INTP, and I would assume that if you feel you are a certain type that's more than half the battle. Maybe depending on how things are going for me at the time I alternate between INTP/ENTP
Type doesn't change, least not that way. Type, by its very definition, is a constellation of innate, fundamental cognitive inclinations, and thus does not change. But one person can APPEAR to be many different types depending on context. I can be seen as ENFJ, ESFP, ENTJ, but I know, at the end of the day, I'm always an INFJ, regardless of what role I take in a particular situation.

INTPs can still be quite friendly, though. I know one INTP, and I have lots of fun with him. He's always got a smile on his face, and not a sadistic smile. So you know you're an XNTP. That's a great start. You could be either an INTP or ENTP. The difference between an introvert and extrovert can be summarized as such: extroverts live in the external world of things and people, introverts live in the internal world of ideas.

Hopefully that helps.

Reactions: Svensenberg
1 - 17 of 17 Posts