Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I'm looking more and more into my Enneagram type, I feel myself become more and more confused about my type. I'm sorry to make another thread here, but I've seen several other people post multiple threads so...yeah. I've completely eliminated any thought that I might be a 1, but after reading Naranjo's descriptions, I feel almost as strongly about SO 7 (what I originally typed myself as) as I do about SO 3. I'm really thrown off by Naranjo's description of an SO 7 as someone who wants to be known as someone who helps other people.

I feel like last time I filled out this questionnaire I geared it to only one aspect of personality (3-aspects) when there's more to me. So yeah...here's 'Type Me Take 2!'

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

I am driven to do what makes me happy, but to be successful a it. I want to be well known as an altruistic person who is successful at everything I do. I'm driven to help people, and to excel at everything. I look for perfection in the things I do and for fulfillment; to feel like I'm worth something.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in life?

I hope to get several degrees so I can work as whatever I want. I want to publish a book series, I want to be a psychiatrist, musical therapist, everything. I want to make enough money that I can live without worries, and also have enough to be able to give to charities, and to make a difference in the world and help other people. I want people to look up to me as a role model.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

I hope to avoid being unsuccessful and making mistakes. I avoid being wrong and making mistakes like the plague, and I hope to avoid doing anything that will give someone a negative perception of me. I value honesty from other people most of all, although I'm not the most honest person myself. I value looking good in the eyes of other people, being respected and being looked up to.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

My biggest fear is being worthless, along with looking bad in the eyes of other people. I fear that after everything I do, after everything I've accomplished, I won't feel like I'm worth anything. The question "Are you worth anything?" plagues my mind almost constantly. Why...I don't know? I don't want to be on my death bed and feel like nothing I did was valued.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I want others to see my as successful, creative, an ideal person. I want them to look at me and say "Wow! I wish I was just like him!" I see myself as someone who cannot reach the high standards that I've set myself in my mind. I also see myself as someone who talks all about doing good things for other people, but then wouldn't hesitate to sabotage someone for my own success.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

I feel my best when I've accomplished something really great, when I accomplish something really, really worthwhile that other people acknowledge and praise me for. I feel my best when I'm doing things that I love. I feel my worst when I've failed myself or other people.

Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
a) I get angry when people don't understand what I'm saying. I don't angry very often, but more frustrated I guess you could say, and a lot of people misconstrue my frustration as anger.

b) I feel ashamed of myself when I fail, plain and simple. I save my shame for the pillow in my bedroom and don't really express it to anyone.

c) I feel anxious when I overload myself with too many things. I have so much fun doing things I love but I usually don't realize how overbooked I am until I look at my schedule and have an insane number of things to do all at once.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

a) I react to stress differently depending on the situation. Sometimes stress motivates me to work harder, and sometimes stress cripples me and I cannot bring myself to do anything at all. Negative stress also bring out all of my emotions that I've repressed.

b) Unexpected changes bother me. I schedule my entire life, usually by the minute, and when something changes unexpectedly and I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

c) I don't like conflict and I usually avoid it, but if it does occur I do my best to come out on the winning side of the conflict. I don't like unresolved conflicts.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

I'll just answer these together. I like to be the person in charge, and if I'm thrown into a group where I'm not, I do my best to get myself into a place where my opinions are highly valued among the group. I give as much respect to people in authority or power as I need to to get ahead.

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.

Growing up, my parents and I had an awful relationship. I showed a lot of promise as a child, but as my sister got older she kind of out shone me because she really excelled at dancing, while I was kind of mediocre-above average in a lot of things. My parents gave me no positive attention, and my dad was incredibly abusive, physically and verbally. I fought hard to get their attention in the things I did, but no matter how successful I was they always, and still, placed my sister above me.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.

I have a trust no one policy. Everyone will hurt you at any chance they get.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.

a) I have a pretty high self esteem and I know I'm talented. I like almost everything about myself.

b) I dislike my inability to accept anything I do as good enough. I can think I did well, but I can never think that I did well enough.
I also dislike that I don't really feel my emotions. I can't express how I really feel to other people and I often feel an emptiness in my chest where I feel like my emotions should be. Having one emotion pop up can actually be overwhelming to me.

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
I notice when other people are behaving inappropriately in public, and I also have a kind of "sense" about how people want me to act towards them. I see the potential in people that they don't see in themselves and encourage them to express it.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?

If a stranger insults me I take them very seriously. First impressions are everything! Same thing with compliments

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?
a) I'm thankful for all of the talents and abilities I have been given, and that I can actually enjoy myself while working hard.

b) I wish I could find more self worth.

Well, yeah that's it! I'm sorry to do this, but I would really appreciate if you could give me your opinion, @Jawz and @Boss, as the two of you helped me last time. Don't feel obligated by any means though.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
@Wake Haha, thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm not even sure why I made this, I guess Naranjos descriptions threw me off a little. I'll send you an autograph.
It shouldn't have. The core of the 3 was supposed to be basically performing for others, and so he described them as being "good little boy", and your emphasis on being shown to be good is an indicator of that. A 1 is focused on principle and not being corrupt, instead of lacking in ability to achieve like a 3.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It shouldn't have. The core of the 3 was supposed to be basically performing for others, and so he described them as being "good little boy", and your emphasis on being shown to be good is an indicator of that. A 1 is focused on principle and not being corrupt, instead of lacking in ability to achieve like a 3.
It was the SO 7 that really threw me off. I really related to the SX and SO 3 but the SO 7 just threw me of so badly. it's not that his descriptions were lacking, it's more that I read into them a little too much.

Social: Service. More ambitious, Six-ish, willing to accept limitations in service of recognition; also very helpful/giving of love in search of recognition; sweetness in exchange for service. Creating an imaginary "perfectionism" (Dickens almost killed himself with hard work). "Good people," do-gooders. Echoes Two a bit, "seducing" the world. A bit of an Epicurean, a sense of sensationalism (Walt Whitman). Monkey mind.
Of curse with an unimaginary sense of perfection.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Of curse with an unimaginary sense of perfection.
Hmm... I would have to read all of his definitions to understand how that fits into the grand scheme of things in terms of 7s as a whole. I could definitely see how that would VERY easily be an opportunity to mistype a 3w2 to SO7.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... I would have to read all of his definitions to understand how that fits into the grand scheme of things in terms of 7s as a whole. I could definitely see how that would VERY easily be an opportunity to mistype a 3w2 to SO7.
Yeah I'm not really sure where it comes in because it's so different from my understanding of 7s. He didn't touch on it much in the recordings.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
My final assertion is definitely 3w2 and not any of 3w4, 2w3 and 7 as your core.

Instinctual variants are most likely so/sp.

However, I have a strong feeling that your second fix is a strong 6w7. I just don't see enough 7 for you to even have it as a fix, let alone your core type.

Oh .. and ISTJ ? I would recommend you consider ESTJ before you consider ISTJ. Core 3, as well as core 7 are primarily extroverted types [even though admittedly there isn't a proven correlation] - especially with an so dominant variant.

My final word on your typing is 3w2 as your core.

BTW --- if you're a 3, 6 and 9 triader like myself, you're going to have a very hard time self-typing as this is a relational type.

It isn't from a lack of self-awareness .. but more so because there's a very inherent pull in all 3 types to go along to get along.

This is my own analysis based on my own self-study, so my description may be wanting as far as technical accuracy is concerned, so read the rest as a personal experience more than a generalized truth.

In me, all 3 types bring about a great deal of flexibility, drive, ambition - yet a desire to be dutiful, committed, loyal as well as have a strong desire to develop strong and harmonious relationships /careers / marital life. All my relationships and friendships are normal / mostly drama free. I feel that when healthy, the 369 is what would be considered the ideal "american man" who is ambitious, driven and career oriented, yet loyal to society's values, his family .. the good son, the bread-earner, the loyal and faithful husband, the nurturing father who pushes his son to be better than he is [especially with the 3w2 core]. Valuing a peaceful home life with a steady rise to the top of his profession ... 2.4 children, home in the suburbs with a relatively good social standing, as well as involvement in the community kind of thing.

I belive that it's one of the most even triads in the enneagram. Flexible when needed. Combative when needed. Loyal, but not to a fault. Driven, but not completely narcissistic because of the underlying anxiety of the 6 which adds a sense of humility to the 3's ambitious and over-achieving status.

The 6 could be counter-phobic or phobic [mostly phobic with a 9w1 fix, cp with a 9w8 fix]

Anyways --- that would be 369 - but I'm not sure how much of the above you relate to.

What are your thoughts on 6w5 vs 6w7 vs 7w6? ---- 1w2 vs 1w9?

Please share.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My final assertion is definitely 3w2 and not any of 3w4, 2w3 and 7 as your core.

Instinctual variants are most likely so/sp.
Cool cool, that's kind of the conclusion I've come to after making these two type me threads and really thinking it over more myself. I was pretty sure of SO/SP too.

However, I have a strong feeling that your second fix is a strong 6w7. I just don't see enough 7 for you to even have it as a fix, let alone your core type.

Oh .. and ISTJ ? I would recommend you consider ESTJ before you consider ISTJ. Core 3, as well as core 7 are primarily extroverted types [even though admittedly there isn't a proven correlation] - especially with an so dominant variant.
I've looked through all of the MBTI types pretty thoroughly, and I'm not exactly solid about them yet anyway. I originally played around with ENTJ, but then looking into it, it was nothing like me. None of the Exxx really resonated with me at all. Plus I've always been a bit more on the introverted side anyway.

Here's an exerpt from a PM I sent someone:

.Do you mind if I go off topic a bit and ask you about introversion? I'm a little confused about it, because they make it seem like you can't like people and be an introvert, but I love to be around people, and I love to be the centre of attention, I just really can't do it for a long period of time and I need to recharge after a long time. For example, I do musicals/plays, and I love being the center of attention, but after the show when the cast goes out and they want me to come, I have to go home because I'm just so drained. Am I introverted, or this ambiverted thing?
I know 3's and 7's are (typically) more extroverted, but I really just can't see myself as an extrovert. For me, it's more what I'll do for people and what people will think about me than actually being around them.

My final word on your typing is 3w2 as your core.

As for your head and gut fix, which of these do you relate to the most?

6w5 vs 6w7 vs 7w6? ---- 1w2 vs 1w9?

My gut feeling is that your head and gut fix are 6w5 and 1w2.
I think it is pretty final.

As for fixes, I think I'm probably more 6w5, except for that SO 7 description that really just throws things out of proportion for me. I agree with 6w5 and 1w2. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
371 are the three types I see.
7 because of the variety of interests you seem to have.
3 is obvious the desire for success and perfect image.
1 because you want to avoid making a mistake at all costs, I see the 3 and 1 forcing the 7 into submission.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@marzipan01 Thank you for your input! I think I've pretty much decided on a 3 core and a 1 gut fix (assuming you were talking about tritypes in your post) but I'm still between a 7w6 and a 6w5 for my head type. Thank you again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts