Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into MBTI and I can't seem to figure out my type. I've been bouncing a lot between INTP, ISTP, ENTP and ESTP. Ask whatever you need, to figure this out.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
When you read descriptions of Ti and Se, which one seems to be more 'you'? Which one sounds more like your dominant function?
ENFP Wiki
Function Attitude
personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

Next, if you read through these articles would you say you are more familiar with introvert or extravert attitudes?
Orienting
Cocooning-vs.-Conforming Exegesis
Game-Board Exegesis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you read descriptions of Ti and Se, which one seems to be more 'you'? Which one sounds more like your dominant function?

Next, if you read through these articles would you say you are more familiar with introvert or extravert attitudes?[/url]
I'd say, I relate most to Ti, but I can relate to both. And introvert all the way.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I'd say, I relate most to Ti, but I can relate to both. And introvert all the way.
Introvert narrows it down to ISTP and INTP.

Since you say you can relate to both Se and Ti then ISTP would be the logical choice. ISTP functional order is Ti-Se-Ni-Fe so auxiliary function is Se thus you would be able to relate to it since it is the function you would also frequently use in your thinking.

I'd recommend you read on Ni and Ne as well just to confirm that you are ISTP and not INTP. INTP's functional order is Ti-Ne-Si-Fe so they would be able to relate to Ne well, but will have very weak understanding of Se and Ni. To the contrary ISTPs would be able to relate to Se and Ni to some extent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Introvert narrows it down to ISTP and INTP.

Since you say you can relate to both Se and Ti then ISTP would be the logical choice. ISTP functional order is Ti-Se-Ni-Fe so auxiliary function is Se thus you would be able to relate to it since it is the function you would also frequently use in your thinking.

I'd recommend you read on Ni and Ne as well just to confirm that you are ISTP and not INTP. INTP's functional order is Ti-Ne-Si-Fe so they would be able to relate to Ne well, but will have very weak understanding of Se and Ni. To the contrary ISTPs would be able to relate to Se and Ni to some extent.
This may be a tough find. I was reading in to examples of Ni, Ne, Se and Si. This is part of what I found:

How to tell the forest from the trees!
Extraverted Sensing - Notices the rich detail in the whole forest - the trees, their color and texture, their sounds, their smells, the pattern of light and dark...

Introverted Sensing - Notes that this forest has always been here and recalls being in a forest from childhood, smelling that smell and the fun of playing hide and seek behind the trees...

Extraverted iNtuiting - Thinks of the fractal patterns, the wide range of possibilities in the forest, how this forest is part of the ecosystem and is affected by polllution from the city...

Introverted iNtuiting - Recognizes that the forest is deeply symbolic of all of life in its interconnectedness and constant recycling and growth and foresees that this forest will soon be torn down for a housing development...

Extraverted Sensing
(Se)

What is

Experience the experience

Introverted Sensing
(Si)

What is evokes what was

Images from past experience
or universal shared history

Extraverted iNtuiting
(Ne)

What it means

Conceive from the experience

Introverted iNtuiting
(Ni)

What will be

Images of the future
or universal symbols

When I read the forest examples, I can relate to every one. I'd say my first reaction would be Se. Then I'd move on to any of the three remaining, depending on the day. Sometimes I don't look for a deeper meaning in things, sometimes I do.

Something you should know. I had a bit of an identity crisis throughout high school. I was never in to schooling, it bored the fire out of me. Eventually, I decided instead of being called stupid by every student and some teachers, "I'd show them." So I adopted a brainiac mindset. I started plunging in to theories and whatnot. I became the classic, "genius" if you will, throwing in my two cents about everything and always having knowledge and/or a theory on the topic at hand. I stopped athletics and getting out, started staying in watching discovery and history channels, forcing myself to memorize the (excuse the expression) crap they were teaching.

I can say before all of this happened, all I'd think about was the present. I'd focus on nothing more than sports, riding my neighbors mini bike, going for a jog, military and police material, video games etc. I did have the occasional fantasies, but always action based, thinking about being in a firefight or the next Jason Bourne. I was also intrigued by mechanics, although I never really participated and even when I could I was more interested in operating the finished product than fixing it(I guess I figured learning would slow the fixing process down and I just wanted to use whatever it was). I'm thinking I was an ISTP before my identity crisis and now I've screwed myself in to some (excuse the expression again, no offense to anyone of another type)crap that isn't me.

To make things simple, before the identity crisis using the forest example, I'd first use Se then it'd probably stop there. On rare occasion I might use a smidge of Si and on very rare occasions a bit of either Ni or Ne. There are times I might think, "We could totally build a tree house here," or "This would make an awesome place to play some military games," which sounds a lot like what I've read on Ne, but that's as far as it'd go. I usually wouldn't see the "possibilities" unless I got really bored or stuck in a pinch. I completely relate to Se though out of Se, Si, Ne and Ni-first and foremost.

Maybe the actual usage of the cognitive functions is a bit more extreme than I think, sort of like the medical questionnaire you fill out for the military. "Do you or have you ever had allergies?" Me:"Yes." Recruiter: "Really, how bad are the symptoms?" Me:"Stuffy nose, some drainage, mild coughing and sneezing..." Recruiter:"No it means, serious allergies. Not your everyday allergy." There are times when I'll visit somewhere and it will remind me of a past experience, which sounds like Si or I'll see an object and think, " I could make an awesome game with this" which sounds a lot like Ne, but I might be taking it to an extreme.

Maybe a few questions to clarify?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts