Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had 3 typology obsessed people type me in 3 different ways: INTP, INTJ and ISTJ.

I need help determining if one of those 'diagnoses' was correct. Reading online descriptions of each type didn't provide enlightenment and closure. And some of the online tests I was able to find were stupid. I think I can get more accurate results here.

Ask your questions. I will try to answer to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that English is not my first language.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK, I'll give you the same advice most of the people here would give you. I have no idea how much you know about cognitive functions, but I can ensure you that learning about them is the best way to discover your personality type ( this will surely take you some time but I think it's worth it ). INTJ uses Ni Te Fi Se, INTP Ti Ne Si Fe, and ISTJ uses Si Te Fi Ne. The differences between these types are huge, but you can't tell that at a glance, after only reading the descriptions. I can also recommend you videos posted by this guy : DaveSuperPowers - YouTube - some of them helped me a lot.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Step 1: Focus only on who you truly are, do not focus on other's opinions or on stereotypes, this is the most important step

Step 2: Choose of the following which is most like you:
1.Experiencing and noticing the physical world, scanning for visible reactions and relevant data

What is really happening? What are the facts of the situation? What is changing in this situation? What action can I take now?
2.Recalling past experiences, remembering detailed data and what it is linked to

What do I already know that I can build on? What usually happens in this kind of situation? How does what is happening here remind me of some problem I have previously solved?
3.Inferring relationships, noticing threads of meaning, and scanning for what could be

What inferences do I need to make? What meanings do I need to perceive? What hypotheses can I generate?
4.Foreseeing implications, conceptualizing, and having images of the future or profound meaning

What are the implications for the future? What do I need to conceptualize? How will so-and-so respond if I do such-and-such?

Step 3: Choose one of the following that is most like you:
1.Considering others and responding to them

Whose needs do I need to consider? What is important to these people? What is appropriate in this situation? What is good for the group?
2.Organizing, segmenting, sorting, and applying logic and criteria

How is this situation structured and organized? What logic and criteria apply? How can I break something down into its component parts and organize, arrange, and coordinate it for more efficient results?
3.Evaluating importance and maintaining congruence

What is really important here? What is of value to me and to the purpose? What values are at stake? What values have been violated?
4. Analyzing, categorizing, and figuring out how something works

What principles do I need to apply? What models are operating here? What techniques or approaches can I apply?

Step 4:Choose one of the following styles of thinking that fits you the best:
1. Divergent thinkingList all the uses you can think of for a shoe.
Generate meanings for a nutshell
List all the resources available for your next project
Make as many sentences as you can using all of the following words: candle, hope, tissue, egg.
2. Convergent thinkingWhich shoe idea is the most novel?
Rank your meanings of the nutshell from the most personally meaningful to the least
Select the resources that are most challenging to maintain

Tell me what you chose for 2, 3, & 4, and we'll work with that.

Reactions: OneMind

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 2:

I think it's 4. I'm not sure about how profound the images of the future are, but I like to play with possibilities. I often daydream about situations I will probably never find myself in just to see what the possible outcomes would be. Like thinking about what would happen if I was an assassin. Sometimes it becomes like a movie. And that's what the second part of 4th option reminded me of. I even have imaginary conversations with people I know about subjects they might talk about, which is probably just a projection of something I'd like to talk about, but whatever. It proved to be useful on occasion when engaging in arguments with people in real life. Some of the outcomes make me angry though. It's possible that I'm insane, yes.

Step 3:
2 or 4? They seem to be connected. That probably means that 1 and 3 are somehow connected as well. I just don't see myself in them.
How can I break something down to it's component parts etc. if I didn't analyze it and figured out how it works first? At the same time, why would I analyze something and figure out how it works if I'm not going to do something with it afterwards? Can you provide an example?

Step 4:
I'd say 1. Do I need to list all that crap?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
INTJ, if option 2 for step 3 is better, or INFJ if your going to go with option 4 of step 3.

INTJ fits nicely as step 2 you picked Ni, and step 3 you picked Te+Ti, Ni-Te fits together better, INFJ would be Ni-Fe-Ti-Se, while INTJ is Ni-Te-Fi-Se

Reactions: OneMind

·
Registered
277 Posts
Step 2:

I think it's 4. I'm not sure about how profound the images of the future are, but I like to play with possibilities. I often daydream about situations I will probably never find myself in just to see what the possible outcomes would be. Like thinking about what would happen if I was an assassin. Sometimes it becomes like a movie. And that's what the second part of 4th option reminded me of. I even have imaginary conversations with people I know about subjects they might talk about, which is probably just a projection of something I'd like to talk about, but whatever. It proved to be useful on occasion when engaging in arguments with people in real life. Some of the outcomes make me angry though. It's possible that I'm insane, yes.
Me in a nutshell.

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was prepared to have my personality dissected with personal questions and things of that nature in order to determine my personality type. It can't be as easy as answering 4 questions, can it? Or are you people (what do you mean "you people"?) that good?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Well, if you are speculating you're one of those three, one major determining factor would be if you use introverted intuition, as INTJ is the only type of the three that does, and if you don't whether you have a perceiving or judging preference:

Okay first of all:
Are you really introspective and tend to get lost in your thoughts a lot?
Do you tend to become paranoid and withdrawn when under stress, and sometimes become obsessed with activities that bring physical pleasure?
Do you have a history of trusting what your intuition tells you over what your friends have told you or sometimes what teachers or other authoritative sources have told you?
When you're in situations where there's a lot of external stimuli do you quickly become overwhelmed?
Do you prefer things that are complex to what's simple?

Also determining if you're J vs P
Do you prefer for things to be decided upon, have a task completed than be up in the air?
Do you prefer routine and structure? Do you tend to feel uncomfortable when your environment doesn't have enough structure or when it has too much structure?
When you're not stressed out do you feel more in control when you take charge of your environment and making decisions early?
Are you known to be a pretty decisive person?
When you talk to people in your daily life do you say things this way:
"There's a mess on the floor."
or this way:
"Clean up that mess." or "Could you clean that up for me?"

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First thing first: "Let everyone in the world halt, unless the entire world acknowledges that nowhere on earth is there a damsel more beautiful than the Empress of La Mancha, she who has no equal, Dulcinea Del Toboso."

Are you really introspective and tend to get lost in your thoughts a lot?
All the time. Sometimes I don't talk for hours when I'm deep in my thoughts, thinking about something that most people would probably find silly. I find it fascinating. You can do whatever you want in your thoughts. And you can do it whenever you want. Although, it's probably not the best idea to daydream while crossing the street. But so far so good obviously. The only problem is, getting lost in thoughts is not something I can control that well. When I'm studying for example, I don't even notice when my mind wanders off. I don't even know how it happens. It just does.

Do you tend to become paranoid and withdrawn when under stress, and sometimes become obsessed with activities that bring physical pleasure?
Not sure. I don't remember the last time I was under stress.

Do you have a history of trusting what your intuition tells you over what your friends have told you or sometimes what teachers or other authoritative sources have told you?
I'm not paranoid. I don't trust people not because I think they're lying to me. They might, though. I don't trust them mainly because I don't think they are competent enough to tell me something correct. That is, provided that what they've said makes no sense, or if I think that it makes no sense for some reason.
I thought intuition in MBTI has nothing to do with the traditional understanding of intuition. That's one of the reasons I couldn't figure out which type I am.

When you're in situations where there's a lot of external stimuli do you quickly become overwhelmed?
Well, I don't like crowds and loud places.

Do you prefer things that are complex to what's simple?
Complicated mostly. I dabble in dark arts of computers...and conjuration magic but that's not important right now.

Do you prefer for things to be decided upon, have a task completed than be up in the air?
Decided and completed. Then I can focus on other things. When something isn't done, I feel like I'm in a prison and I can't leave until I get it done.

Do you prefer routine and structure? Do you tend to feel uncomfortable when your environment doesn't have enough structure or when it has too much structure?
I'm not sure what too much structure means, but I like structured environments. Do video games count? If so, I absolutely loathe how Call of Duty maps look like. Too much stuff just scattered around for no reason.
As for routine, I don't know. I don't follow any particular routine. I just do things the way they make sense to me. I have no problem with changing or adapting the way I do things when necessary.

When you're not stressed out do you feel more in control when you take charge of your environment and making decisions early?
Usually I am quick to make decisions. But at the same time I don't like making mistakes. That's why it depends on the decision. Take typology for example. I want to know which type I am. I am not going to simply decide without understanding as much as I can about how all this works. I am aware that it probably won't have any impact on my life, but I'm not gonna make a decision knowing fully well that I might be making a mistake.

Are you known to be a pretty decisive person?
Well I am not known for changing my mind very often. But that's because I don't make a lot of mistakes.

When you talk to people in your daily life do you say things this way:
"There's a mess on the floor."
or this way:
"Clean up that mess." or "Could you clean that up for me?"
More like "someone should clean that up". But I usually ignore stating things like that out loud. I don't care. My room can be quite messy as well. But I take care of stuff that matter to me the most. For example, all of my computer folders and icons are in perfect order.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
First thing first: "Let everyone in the world halt, unless the entire world acknowledges that nowhere on earth is there a damsel more beautiful than the Empress of La Mancha, she who has no equal, Dulcinea Del Toboso."

All the time. Sometimes I don't talk for hours when I'm deep in my thoughts, thinking about something that most people would probably find silly. I find it fascinating. You can do whatever you want in your thoughts. And you can do it whenever you want. Although, it's probably not the best idea to daydream while crossing the street. But so far so good obviously. The only problem is, getting lost in thoughts is not something I can control that well. When I'm studying for example, I don't even notice when my mind wanders off. I don't even know how it happens. It just does.

Not sure. I don't remember the last time I was under stress.

I'm not paranoid. I don't trust people not because I think they're lying to me. They might, though. I don't trust them mainly because I don't think they are competent enough to tell me something correct. That is, provided that what they've said makes no sense, or if I think that it makes no sense for some reason.
I thought intuition in MBTI has nothing to do with the traditional understanding of intuition. That's one of the reasons I couldn't figure out which type I am.

Well, I don't like crowds and loud places.

Complicated mostly. I dabble in dark arts of computers...and conjuration magic but that's not important right now.

Decided and completed. Then I can focus on other things. When something isn't done, I feel like I'm in a prison and I can't leave until I get it done.

I'm not sure what too much structure means, but I like structured environments. Do video games count? If so, I absolutely loathe how Call of Duty maps look like. Too much stuff just scattered around for no reason.
As for routine, I don't know. I don't follow any particular routine. I just do things the way they make sense to me. I have no problem with changing or adapting the way I do things when necessary.

Usually I am quick to make decisions. But at the same time I don't like making mistakes. That's why it depends on the decision. Take typology for example. I want to know which type I am. I am not going to simply decide without understanding as much as I can about how all this works. I am aware that it probably won't have any impact on my life, but I'm not gonna make a decision knowing fully well that I might be making a mistake.

Well I am not known for changing my mind very often. But that's because I don't make a lot of mistakes.

More like "someone should clean that up". But I usually ignore stating things like that out loud. I don't care. My room can be quite messy as well. But I take care of stuff that matter to me the most. For example, all of my computer folders and icons are in perfect order.
You do sound like Ni, and definitely like you have a judging preference. I would probably rule out INTP at least. Ni-doms tend to be more procrastinating than other judging types, because we want to get it right the first time. We tend to be notorious perfectionists.
I find your posts so far, tend to be pretty blunt. Personally, I think that's one of the reason's you seem to be giving off the "INTJ" vibe among the posters. INTJs tend to be pretty notorious for their bluntness, I guess because Ni-doms tend to have a lot of confidence in their own ideas and intuition, above external sources, but they don't put their arguments and rebuttals in pretty little packages with bows like us INFJ's who use Fe, because Te is more about trying to follow someone else's logic and potentially pointing out where they're wrong.

Actually knowing you're correct type does make a bit of a difference. I mean it won't impact you're whole life but it does help you understand why you have certain tendencies, so gettting it right does make a difference. It makes a huge difference here, because you don't want to be that doofus that makes all these posts like "Us INTJs are like that!" and it turns out you're an INTP. It happened to me, I know. I still get thanked for my "30+ INFPs advice for younger INFPs" post. Do they even look at the info under my user name, lol? So I don't blame you for wanting to get it right the first time.

Btw: I appreciate the Don Quixote reference.

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Procrastination unfortunately sounds a lot like me. And if by perfectionism you mean "do it right or not at all" then that would be accurate as well. Although I am working on that as much as I can.
But I will always be like that about things that really matter to me. Personal projects that I'm very much invested in. And that is something that can't be changed. If it isn't perfect I'll destroy it or throw it away and start over.

This isn't over yet though. I've been reading a bit about these functions, and there is something interesting about sensation. This is something that I experience sometimes.

When I go outside or look out the window, sometimes I get this strange feeling of familiarity. It's not a deja vu. It's just that the day seems familiar. It feels like the same day that happened sometime in the past. Usually I can't pin exactly what happened on that day. Unless I'm actually at the same place that day as I was in the past. That happened today. And it triggered a memory. But it wasn't a memory. It's a more like a fading image of an old dream. A feeling. I can't describe it. It's everywhere around me, but at the same time it's out of my reach and I can't grab it. On very rare occasions the feeling is strong enough for me to remember some things, or maybe the closer word is to sense some of the things I did on one of the days that felt like that.
I was just outside half an hour ago. And it reminded me of something that happened a long time ago. I was walking down the same street with my friend. We were going to his house to play Driver 2 on his new PS1. I remember feeling excited. But that's it. I don't know what it is about the day that feels familiar. Is it the outside stimuli like the smell, the temperature, etc. or is it the overall atmosphere, the place that surrounds me, certain objects that are familiar to my subconscious mind etc. I don't have a clue what it is and why it happens.

That's sensation, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts