Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm a little bored and I never got to fill out those questions, so I thought I'd try to wipe the slate clean and answer them as honestly as possible. If you already know me, try to just look at what is here and see whether it points you towards anything. If not, then I'd like to hear what type you think I sound.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I am very introverted and very disciplined. I like things organised in a specific way, for example. But I always seem 'friendlier' or more passionate/subjective than my 'T' friends and yet far more logical/direct than my 'F' friends.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Solitude and comfort/security in my own space. I'd like to be able to constantly learn or do something like research where I'm always discovering new things and using my brain to the maximum, and be financially secure. Past that, I don't look for much else - as long as I have time to myself to pursue my hobbies and feed my curiosity without having to worry about irrelevant external things, I'd be happy. My fear is that in achieving financial security, my brain will rot by being forced to do menial/repetitive work.

I also would like to be understood fully by someone else, even if it is just one person.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I don't think there's anything that stands out. I guess I've always been happiest learning, so university was a good time for me. After the initial year which was difficult to adjust to, I was comfortable in my environment, I could use and stretch my brain and I had no distractions or trivial matters to worry about other than learning.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Big people? I guess when people judge me on my social skills and confidence rather than the thoughts and ideas I have. I'm not a quick thinker, and I'm not particularly articulate when put on the spot. Because of this, some people seem to dismiss me as weird/eccentric or muddled. I feel like I let myself down in that way because I know I'm better than that if they gave me a chance.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
All of the above. I try to take everything into account where possible and come up with the option where the (expected) benefits exceed the costs the most. When I'm thinking long term decisions, I would think of trying to maximise my happiness (although this is easier said than done). I tend to do a lot of research to find out everything I can before I decide. I can be quite slow to make a concrete decision as a result, but when I know the answer, I know the answer ;)

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

Yes. I don't like working with other people. That way, if I make a mistake, it's mine and I can learn from it. I usually form a strong vision or opinion of how I want something when I know what the goal is, and I generally don't like to sacrifice creative control.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Doing things on my own is always a lot of fun. I do have fond memories of playing GoldenEye and Mario Kart on the N64 with a few close friends. Those were good times.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
My approach would probably change depending on what I'm learning. I think in school, when learning things like science, I'd enjoy listening to the teacher talk about something a lot and I'd like looking at textbooks with diagrams etc. Although I also used to like experiments, I remember finding a lot of them a waste of time as the results were already obvious and I could learn more from reading a book.

I do like experimenting when the outcome is unclear, however. In general, I like to learn about the principles and mechanisms that underly any field of study, so that I can apply them to other situations in a more natural way. I'm also fairly good at remembering stuff for tests to be honest, but I'm not necessarily comfortable with it as I don't like remembering things I don't understand, even though I can do it.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Very ;)

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Like what? If someone says 2+2=5, it's easy to write a proof that negates that statement i.e 2=3 which is false. I dunno, it's not obvious to me that I would take any one approach in general.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Definitely the second one. Although, I know that on the occasion that I'm in a group and someone is very shy but seems to want to say something, or has said something that other people don't understand or agree with, I have stuck up for them or encouraged them to contribute if they want to. Usually I'm the quietest one, so this doesn't really apply :p

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Definitely one-on-one.

I prefer to think first, but often, when I feel like people are expecting an instant response, I do actually keep talking without pause or thought and end up waffling incomprehensibly. So in practice, I am guilty of both.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Put it this way, if I have to cross the road at point X, I would need to know and plan ahead for this contingency (and for anything else that might arise) about 10 miles before I reach it :p I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

If I'm already settled and they call without advance warning, I will stay in. If there was some suggestion that they might call then I'd be somewhat ready and more flexible.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Depressive. I can snap at people and become easily irritable or angry. I become very withdrawn (more so than usual) and sensitive to external stimuli. I tend to blame myself more than usual and can be somewhat self-destructive.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I don't get on with very loud and attention-seeking people. I also don't tend to get on well with people that won't listen to reason and are very centred around acting a 'certain' way to conform with society. However, on the other side, I also don't get on with very aggressive and domineering people, and people who are very blunt/rough around the edges without a 'light' side.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Myself :p

I don't know. I'm not one for conversation, but when I do talk, it's because the topic, whatever it is has some sort of depth (and the person I'm talking with understands this). I don't like shallow or superficial conversation much.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

Current events/trends. Gossip. Family and social dramas. Fashion. Politics. TV and film in general, though there are exceptions.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Don't really know to be honest. I guess everyone would agree that I'm reliable, intellectual and trustworthy. I'm very disciplined and stick to my guns. They may also recognise the stubbornness this creates. They would never say I'm outgoing, thrill-seeking, spontaneous, adventurous etc.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Sleep. Nice long walk. Bit of weight training. Some computer games (with a friend would be nice). A bit of reading, maybe watch a lecture or talk online. Play some music (a jamming session would be great). Would be nice to talk to someone special about something deep, if that person actually had time to talk to me :p

·
Banned
318 Posts
Okay so we can first narrow down to 8 types considering we already know you're an introvert.

You definitely sound like an N type. Strong adherence to both critical thinking and looking at multiple different intellectual perspectives is a pretty good indicator for that.

You seem to be really bothered by people judging you, and also leads to your inferiority complex in your post. You really seem like an Fe.

That leaves us with either INFJ or INTP.

I would say INTP.

As said in your post, the very first thing you seem to look for is a framework that sees multiple different angles. Furthermore, I don't see anything in your post that points you towards the systematic intuition (Ni).

I also think having inferior Fe would explain the confusion regarding whether you seem more like a T or an F.

Anyway, hoped this helped. : )

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Okay so we can first narrow down to 8 types considering we already know you're an introvert.

You definitely sound like an N type. Strong adherence to both critical thinking and looking at multiple different intellectual perspectives is a pretty good indicator for that.

You seem to be really bothered by people judging you, and also leads to your inferiority complex in your post. You really seem like an Fe.

That leaves us with either INFJ or INTP.

I would say INTP.

As said in your post, the very first thing you seem to look for is a framework that sees multiple different angles. Furthermore, I don't see anything in your post that points you towards the systematic intuition (Ni).

I also think having inferior Fe would explain the confusion regarding whether you seem more like a T or an F.

Anyway, hoped this helped. : )
Disagree with this.

To me this post just seems to have a bunch of Fi-Te and probably a good amount of Si. I get no sense of Introverted Thinking or Fe from this (the fact that you are antagonistic toward someone saying 2+2=5, which a Ti-type might very well try to say, and how you would negate that argument with a proof which is Extraverted Thinking not trying to argue with your own thoughts is what stands out). Also no real Inferior Extraverted Feeling. To me the interesting thing was the lack of Ne or Intuition. The whole post is very matter of fact, without the typical meanderings of a lot of stronger Ne-types. If I had to guess I'd say the OP is probably a Si-dom. ISTJ.

·
Banned
318 Posts
Disagree with this.

To me this post just seems to have a bunch of Fi-Te and probably a good amount of Si. I get no sense of Introverted Thinking or Fe from this (the fact that you are antagonistic toward someone saying 2+2=5, which a Ti-type might very well try to say, and how you would negate that argument with a proof which is Extraverted Thinking not trying to argue with your own thoughts is what stands out). Also no real Inferior Extraverted Feeling. To me the interesting thing was the lack of Ne or Intuition. The whole post is very matter of fact, without the typical meanderings of a lot of stronger Ne-types. If I had to guess I'd say the OP is probably a Si-dom. ISTJ.
Hmm...

That seems to make a lot more sense. The Op's post seems to focus a lot more on practical ideas than I first thought. This is especially true when regarding the question asking how you normally judge new ideas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts