Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I just didn't want to be biased when typing myself so I decided to create this thread. It's difficult for oneself to type ourselves objectively and sometimes we need others to type us in order to have an objective and accurate typing of ourselves. So poof! Out came this thread :mellow: I am actually leaning toward INFP as my type, but I just wanna double-check my type because I don't wanna end up mistyping myself, does anybody here see Fi-Ne-Si-Te in my answers below?

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Basically non-tangible things such as knowledge, personal development, self-growth etc. And why did I say non-tangible things? Because tangible things such as money and relationships are all only temporary things. People might be rich today but they might become bankrupt tomorrow, and no relationships in this world is permanent because people will eventually leave our lives through deaths someday. The only thing that is able to last for a long time is non-tangible things such as knowledge, personal development and self-growth etc, we carry these with us through our entire lives.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

Whenever I managed to accomplish something that I have set my mind on, when people recognized my talents etc.
For example, when I was in high school, I had a teacher who told me that I'll make a good writer one day, I felt so happy when I heard that. On the other hand, my perfectionist tendency isn't always a good thing, because I tend to take failures very personally as well. Like there was once when I failed four subjects on my report card, I ended up feeling so depressed that I cried over my results. Let's just say that I can be a high achiever at times and I tend to be very hard on myself.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
When people misunderstand my thoughts, my intentions, and my personality. That feeling just sucks when people chose to jump to conclusions about you rather than take the time to slowly understand you as a person.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Mainly pros-cons, and also hunches. How would the decision affect me 10 years ahead from today? What is that feeling in the pit of my stomach trying to tell me?

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I'd mainly sit back and let others lead the way, but I also come up with back-up plans just in case people didn't do their work.
Like I previously have this group project and everybody were like doing things last-minute, I was afraid they didn't do their work, so I decided to secretly finish up the entire group project by myself as a backup plan just in case my group members didn't finish their work.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Mainly theoretical. I have this tendency to self-learn things by myself, for example, I often have this habit of going to the library to read books and going on the internet to learn new things etc. Like I previously have a teacher who suck at teaching, and he kept yelling at me because I have difficulty understanding what he is teaching me, so I decided to go on the internet and learn everything from the internet instead. What else can you do when you have a teacher who suck at teaching and they don't see it themselves? The only solution for this is to self-learn everything by myself

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Not very organized, I'm probably the messiest and most disorganized person you will ever meet in your entire life.
Dishes? Oh just lay it on the sink, I'll wash it later! And I ended up washing those dishes like 6 hours later.
I had acquaintances telling me, "I've thought you are a neat and organized person, but you are actually such a messy person!" My neatness and organized is only how I present myself on the surface, but deep down I'm a very messy and disorganized person. I am only neat and organized when it comes to things like my appearance, group projects, and work-related things in general, but when it comes to other things in life, I generally have a much more laidback approach.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

Both I guess, I am a truth seeker by nature and I have this tendency to search for the truth in everything I see. And this means researching for as much information as possible and then pondering over those information and then I evaluate which information makes sense and which information doesn't make sense, and then from there I go with what makes the most sense.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I am in the middle for this. I actually have social anxiety so I rarely talk to people unless people talk to me first, so in group projects for example, I usually only communicate about project related things, and then after that we go our separate ways and finish our assigned tasks.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I have this habit of thinking a lot before speaking. For every word that came out of my mouth, you can bet that I spend at least 10 seconds pondering about it in my mind first before deciding to verbalise it.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speak more than words?

I have this tendency to think too much until I failed to act on my ideas. Let's just say I am a slow and cautious person and I have this habit of overanalyzing things, the possible outcomes of my ideas, how acting on that idea will affect me in the long-term etc.
And actions does speak more than words, but then it depends again. Like let's say a person has a crush on another person, and they start acting aloof around that person due to their shyness, this aloofness of theirs can easily be mistaken as disliking the other person. So you can say that I am slow to judge people based on their actions, and that I judge people mainly by their intentions.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I will probably say yes and go out with my friends although I feel like being a recluse and staying at home.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I will sleep a lot and just feel like shutting myself out from the external world. I will isolate myself from everybody and become very anti-social and basically fall off the face of the earth. And I would also have difficulty functioning properly in my daily life, like I wouldn't be able to focus during work because I kept obsessing over whatever that is making me stressed.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

How people can be so close-minded at times and are quick to judge rather than taking the time to slowly understand a situation.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Mainly intellectual stuff and philosophical conversations. Gahh those topics are really energizing and I can spend hours talking about those topics! :happy:

18) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?

I mainly play the therapist/counselor role around my friends, so they often tell me that I am a good listener and I give good advice. My friends tend to perceive me as the "wise one", they would often come to me for advice about their issues, they perceive me as someone who naturally have the answers to everything.
But sometimes, their perception of me can be a little off as well. Like I had a friend who told me that I need to stop holding grudges with people because I have this tendency to walk away during conflicts rather than argue back, but this is such a misconception of theirs, I chose to walk away during conflicts because I am trying to calm myself down and I am trying to avoid saying rash words, and not because I am holding grudges with people, in fact, I don't really have any enemies in this world. People might perceive me as their enemy, but I don't really perceive anyone as my enemy, I have better things to do than to go around categorizing who is my enemy and who isn't my enemy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
2. Your goals are intangible within themselves and therefore indicate that you're an N-type. Your reasoning about money is very NF, and not just because it's poetically written and therefore talks to our emotions, but because it focuses on the impact that values have on people (I will once lose my parents and all my possessions which will destroy me if I don't have something indestructable to rely on instead.) Instead of taking old values and decide a course to take from those, you create something new that's good from perspective and inspiration.

4. I'd say that this suggests Feeling. Feelers want to be perceived as wise and kind, and so it is a huge blow when they fail to do so. There's also a hint of introversion if you don't try to persuade them otherwise.

6. What you describe is typical for perceivers; they have a plan B but not really a plan A because they just want to see how things will work out by trying out stuff. There's little stress over the group not following a schedule so you'll go along with most things.

8. Theoretical indicates that you're an N. Probably also an introvert when you prefer to learn on your own.

9. Not an SJ... and probably not a J in general. Your work organization is very much something you do for the benefit of the group but might not care much about on your own.

11. Introversion due to the anxiety, contained and receiving part.

12. Introversion

13. Not EP or EJ when you don't like to jump into action. I know that this question is supposed to ask whether you're spontaneous or not (P/J), but to me your answer mostly resembles INF.

16. Sounds INFP. I hate that too.

17. Intuition

18. Typical NF. There's also a lot of introversion here.

All in all I think you answers indicate that you're an INFP, but I don't think that INFJ is out of the question.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
All in all I think you answers indicate that you're an INFP, but I don't think that INFJ is out of the question.
I believe INFP is the only type that fits. INFJ is very different, below the surface, and I think there is enough evidence, that you provide, to be confident in that typing.
@Schizoid are you actually schizoid? That type of personality disorder is common for Fi doms, particularly those with Ne aux. ISTJ can have it too.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2. Your goals are intangible within themselves and therefore indicate that you're an N-type. Your reasoning about money is very NF, and not just because it's poetically written and therefore talks to our emotions, but because it focuses on the impact that values have on people (I will once lose my parents and all my possessions which will destroy me if I don't have something indestructable to rely on instead.) Instead of taking old values and decide a course to take from those, you create something new that's good from perspective and inspiration.

4. I'd say that this suggests Feeling. Feelers want to be perceived as wise and kind, and so it is a huge blow when they fail to do so. There's also a hint of introversion if you don't try to persuade them otherwise.

6. What you describe is typical for perceivers; they have a plan B but not really a plan A because they just want to see how things will work out by trying out stuff. There's little stress over the group not following a schedule so you'll go along with most things.

8. Theoretical indicates that you're an N. Probably also an introvert when you prefer to learn on your own.

9. Not an SJ... and probably not a J in general. Your work organization is very much something you do for the benefit of the group but might not care much about on your own.

11. Introversion due to the anxiety, contained and receiving part.

12. Introversion

13. Not EP or EJ when you don't like to jump into action. I know that this question is supposed to ask whether you're spontaneous or not (P/J), but to me your answer mostly resembles INF.

16. Sounds INFP. I hate that too.

17. Intuition

18. Typical NF. There's also a lot of introversion here.

Wonderful post here, thank you so much! :happy: And yep, I will be going with INFP as my type for now. I have been typed as lots of different types by different people, some typed me as INFJ, some typed me as INTJ, and then there are others who typed me as INFP. Different people have different opinions of my type, and it's so confusing for me. :confused:

And by the way, I just had someone did a socionics VI on me earlier, it's basically typing me based on my photos, and they typed me as EII in socionics, which is equivalent to INFP in mbti. They said they saw Fi and Ne in my facial expressions. :p

I believe INFP is the only type that fits. INFJ is very different, below the surface, and I think there is enough evidence, that you provide, to be confident in that typing.
@Schizoid are you actually schizoid? That type of personality disorder is common for Fi doms, particularly those with Ne aux. ISTJ can have it too.

Never been diagnosed with schizoid, but I named myself schizoid because I noticed some schizoid tendencies in me. For example, I prefer being alone than being around people. I also often find myself daydreaming of living a hermit life away from society and people in general. And I think I can see why Fi doms are often correlated with schizoid tendencies :p As an Fi dom, I often feel like a misfit everywhere I go. I have difficulty fitting in with the majority of people out there in the world, I have such eccentric thinking style and whenever I try to share my thoughts with people around me, nobody understands what I am saying. I often feel like an alien living on planet earth. What is normal in society is often perceived as weird by me, and what is weird in society is often perceived as normal by me. For example, most people's definition of life is basically like this: Schooling, then graduate, then finding a steady employment, and then getting married, and then having children and bringing up children, and then retirement, and then waiting for death. They totally live their lives like rules that is written in a book. Majority of society these days tend to focus on pursuing shallow and superficial things such as money, looks, fame etc, but I can't help but to cringe at all those shallow and superficial things that society is pursuing. But of course, this is the definition of normal in society, so they tend to look at me like a weirdo when I say that life isn't supposed to be that shallow and superficial. I guess this is why I often feel like a misfit everywhere I go, I have extremely different thinking style from people around me most of the time :unsure:

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Wonderful post here, thank you so much! :happy: And yep, I will be going with INFP as my type for now. I have been typed as lots of different types by different people, some typed me as INFJ, some typed me as INTJ, and then there are others who typed me as INFP. Different people have different opinions of my type, and it's so confusing for me. :confused:

And by the way, I just had someone did a socionics VI on me earlier, it's basically typing me based on my photos, and they typed me as EII in socionics, which is equivalent to INFP in mbti. They said they saw Fi and Ne in my facial expressions. :p

Never been diagnosed with schizoid, but I named myself schizoid because I noticed some schizoid tendencies in me. For example, I prefer being alone than being around people. I also often find myself daydreaming of living a hermit life away from society and people in general. And I think I can see why Fi doms are often correlated with schizoid tendencies :p As an Fi dom, I often feel like a misfit everywhere I go. I have difficulty fitting in with the majority of people out there in the world, I have such eccentric thinking style and whenever I try to share my thoughts with people around me, nobody understands what I am saying. I often feel like an alien living on planet earth. What is normal in society is often perceived as weird by me, and what is weird in society is often perceived as normal by me. For example, most people's definition of life is basically like this: Schooling, then graduate, then finding a steady employment, and then getting married, and then having children and bringing up children, and then retirement, and then waiting for death. They totally live their lives like rules that is written in a book. Majority of society these days tend to focus on pursuing shallow and superficial things such as money, looks, fame etc, but I can't help but to cringe at all those shallow and superficial things that society is pursuing. But of course, this is the definition of normal in society, so they tend to look at me like a weirdo when I say that life isn't supposed to be that shallow and superficial. I guess this is why I often feel like a misfit everywhere I go, I have extremely different thinking style from people around me most of the time :unsure:
Cognitively, Schizoid behaviors come about because the extroverted function has not manifested itself as a way to enjoy people. Currently, your Ne is only servicing to accommodate the ideals of Fi by dreaming. For example, Belle, from Beauty and the Beast, is considered an INFP and I would go further and say she is schizoid. You live life how you prefer, of course, but I believe there is a cognitive reason for the disorder. Beyond that, there are other factors that probably contribute.

I do think it is important to recognize that you are the weirdo. I can be one, too, but it's important to know that. Expecting society to adapt to you is ridiculous. As PerC members, we ought to recognize that not all of us are the same, most people are sensory after all (Materialistic as you call it). Sure, we need dreamers, like you, but we need waaay more people who are present focused. There's plenty of INFPs who have carved out their niche in the real world.

Reactions: Schizoid

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
@Schizoid,

Yes, you're definitely an INFP. I can relate to a lot of what you are saying.

Why did you think you were an INFJ in the past?

Reactions: Schizoid

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@Schizoid,

Yes, you're definitely an INFP. I can relate to a lot of what you are saying.

Why did you think you were an INFJ in the past?

I guess I confused Fi-Ne with Ni, Fi-Ne can actually look very similar to Ni, since both are about living in the world of possibilities, dealing with hidden meanings and reading between the lines etc, and I also confused my Fi values with Fe. There is a part of me that has always wished to contribute to humanity in some ways, there is a part of me that believe in being kind and considerate to everyone around me and I am constantly putting others' needs before myself, and I guess I confused these Fi values of mine as Fe.
I feel that my thinking style is very similar as Gandhi, and he has been commonly typed as INFJ, but now that I think about it, I believe Gandhi is actually an INFP. "Be the change that you want to see in this world" is such an Fi quote :laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts