Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
INTP's Ti has a strong "no one will tell me what to do-ness" about it which, when coupled with an auxiliary Ne telling it "anything is possible", means we will do whatever we want and not feel guilty for it. Even if all people have these desires on some level, the INTP with these traits and a weak Fe (collective values) to boot would likely see no need to conform to the homophobic values of society, instead finding their bisexual side novel and exciting.
Setting aside the fact that you're speaking from personal experience which is far from scientific, I think this would otherwise be the most likely explanation. I don't see how type could correlate to sexuality, although we already know that INTP's are often non-conformists who put individuality above social norms.

More likely to be bi-sexual? Source please

More likely to admit to being bi-sexual? Plausible.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Setting aside the fact that you're speaking from personal experience which is far from scientific, I think this would otherwise be the most likely explanation. I don't see how type could correlate to sexuality, but we already know that INTP's are often non-conformists with a high level of individuality.
I have convinced myself after years of observation. You could say I am my own social scientist. But I never claimed to notice anything more than trends; I have made no final conclusions as to why this is happening. I do agree that most of it is willingness to admit bisexual leanings that I think exist in many people of all types, as well as a deliberate desire to go against the grain. I also expect that some of these people are not actually bisexual, just as most teenage girls who don the label are really straight. But to say a correlation between sexuality and type is unthinkable per se is a bit rash, as we already know that there is a correlation between type and sex.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't see why any type would be more likely than the others.

Whole thing sounds to me like you trying to make sense of your own bisexuality by pinning it on your personality type.

Me personally, it has nothing to do with me conforming or not conforming to society's homophobic values or compromising my masculinity...I'm just not interested in having sex with men. I don't see why I'd have a different stance on this just because I was INTJ or ESFP instead of INTP.

·
Registered
743 Posts
nevermore said:
But to say a correlation between sexuality and type is unthinkable per se is a bit rash
I didn't say it's unthinkable, but I just don't see where the logic would come from, and subjective personal experience doesn't really cut it for supportive evidence. True that there is correlation between type and sex, but if your theory worked under the same premise, wouldn't bi-sexual (men) correlate more highly with F? Although I doubt that altogether since sex and sexual orientation are two different things entirely.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I am not some macho man... Because I didn't have a single girlfriend in 4 years of highschool and im actually not ugly at all (not to mention I've turned some girls down, because of my shyness and introversion). Some mean people actually asked me if I was gay (to be mean ofc).

But I don't have any affection to man, never had. I am more of a heterosexual guy in a asexual mode.

I rly don't think there is any correlation with the MBTI and sexuality...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Added later:

More likely to be bi-sexual? Source please

More likely to admit to being bi-sexual? Plausible.
Obviously I cannot source this. My intention was not to write an academic paper; the post just ended up droning on for so long it looked like one!:tongue: I was curious to see if anyone else had noticed a correlation, and was inviting those who had to discuss.

The title was meant to draw attention, as the guidelines reccomend, and as a result was perhaps poorly worded. What I have noticed is that a great number of people who I would type as INTP claim to have bisexual leanings, and few males of other types do. If you wish to peruse it again, you will find the actual wording in the post implied I thought that the reason was, indeed, a greater openness to and desire for novel experiences no matter how strongly social pressures push against it, although there is no reason to dismiss all other hypotheses (as unlikely as I agree they are) wholesale.

Perhaps I should have said: type most likely to "openly explore their bicuriousity" I think that is not a ridiculous hypothesis.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't say it's unthinkable, but I just don't see where the logic would come from, and subjective personal experience doesn't really cut it for supportive evidence. True that there is correlation between type and sex, but if your theory worked under the same premise, wouldn't bi-sexual (men) correlate more highly with F? Although I doubt that altogether since sex and sexual orientation are two different things entirely. It's also entirely possible that type is set even before sexual orientation.
Thanks for clearing it up. In answer to your question, I did not get this theory from logic but consistent observation. Like I said in the post, these findings actually surprised me.

"Subjective" personal experience may not "cut it for supportive evidence", but what do you think sociology is? The only difference between what they have done and what I have done is document it. I don't expect you to believe me, but the reason I believe I raised the possibility of a correlation is because of the evidence I have seen for it. As I said, I am very surprised so many INTP's have claimed to be bisexual in comarison to the other types because, as you stated, an F type would seem like a more obvious candidate. That was why I settled on the "most likely to admit it" explanation.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me personally, it has nothing to do with me conforming or not conforming to society's homophobic values or compromising my masculinity...I'm just not interested in having sex with men. I don't see why I'd have a different stance on this just because I was INTJ or ESFP instead of INTP.
Sorry for implying that. Obviously, if you are straight that sentence does not apply to you because you would not have any bisexual desires to supress.:wink: That was written towards those people who are at least slightly bi but are in denial for reasons relating at least partly to their psychological types. My theory is that since INTP's are strongly predisposed to being nonconformist, they would be less likely to hide their bisexual leanings if they had them. My thoughts were that if you were bisexual and another personality type that, say, was more predisposed to conforming to the values of society (say an ESFJ...not that all of them are as supertraditional as stereotypes claim but there are obviously loose correlations between type and behaviour) you might be less likely to admit it.

I propose that more INTP's:

a) are more likely to admit to non-heterosexual orientations, if they have them

b) may be more open to different sexual possibilities if only slightly bi. Another type would be more likely to quash those thoughts and pretend they were straight as an arrow, perhaps because of the reasons I gave such as a homophobic value system or fear of compromising masculinity, but not limited to those.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you go by OKCupid's statistics, most self-identified bisexuals have a clear dominant preference and only pursue that sex. My suspicion is that as "almost everybody is a little bit bi" - Kinsey Scale, &c. - INTPs, with their preference for stating things in a literally correct manner, would be more likely than average to note that they have at least a little attraction to each sex, and thus classify themselves as bisexual.

It's also possible that with our withdrawn manner and weak Se personality plays a greater-than-average part in our attraction.

This is all just speculation, however - I don't even know if the statistics themselves are valid. INTPs are rare, after all.

Edit: oh, there aren't any statistics at all.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Interesting take on the subject – you make some good points. I swing both ways, baby. I'd like to see some more research on this matter, along with statistics for each type, before I necessarily agree or disagree with the original statement, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Reactions: nevermore

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If you go by OKCupid's statistics, most self-identified bisexuals have a clear dominant preference and only pursue that sex. My suspicion is that as "almost everybody is a little bit bi" - Kinsey Scale, &c. - INTPs, with their preference for stating things in a literally correct manner, would be more likely than average to note that they have at least a little attraction to each sex, and thus classify themselves as bisexual.

It's also possible that with our withdrawn manner and weak Se personality plays a greater-than-average part in our attraction.

This is all just speculation, however - I don't even know if the statistics themselves are valid. INTPs are rare, after all.

Edit: oh, there aren't any statistics at all.
Yup, I agree; I think that while some people are "more bisexual than others", there is no such thing as a 50/50 split.

Instead of the Kinsey Scale being a downwards slanting line, I think it is more like a "J". Completely straight on one end, completely gay on the other. Most people would fall on one extreme, but no one (or at least very, very few people) in the exact center. I mean, I think I am more attracted to my own sex than most men are. Most men at least seem to be utterly repulsed at the very thought. Don't know if all of them really are (most women, conversely, seem not to be so phobic; they just don't like having sex with other women and leave it at that), but most of them are obviously telling the truth. But I still do definately have a clear preference for women. My attraction towards men is still instinctual and more than incidental, but I idealize those relationships as "forbidden romances" more than anything else and they are often purely sexual in nature (still, I have been romantically infatuated with other guys before...like sex, it is a very different thing when you switch the gender). But I think about women a lot more. As I said, the preference is very clear. I don't doubt the OK Cupid statistics.

I don't know what to believe, but rather than going by the classic Kinsey scale or Bailey's theory, I would be inclined to use the "J" scale, with most people at the top of the J (completely straight), and a lot of people at the tip of the J (completely gay), but still a little bit of room in between. Maybe even a J with a bit of a flat bottom (though women, I think, really can fall very close to the center, although even there there is usually a preference, and because of the fetishization of "girl on girl action" many females - especially teenage girls - posture for male attention).

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yup, I agree; I think that while some people are "more bisexual than others", there is no such thing as a 50/50 split.

Instead of the Kinsey Scale being a downwards slanting line, I think it is more like a "J".

Perhaps people who are "bi" are just smart enough to realize there is no such thing as 100% gay or straight and that limiting yourself is consigning yourself to a less complete sexual experience.

But then you get those guys who say they "don't have a drop of gay in them".

You have women who claim that too, of course, but not with the same vehemence. I am sure I could get away with identifying as straight if I were a woman, but because I am a man people won't let me. Any attraction to men at all is a "taint".

Nonetheless, I think I am more attracted to my own sex than most men are. Most men at least seem to be utterly repulsed at the very thought. Don't know if all of them really are (most women, conversely, seem not to be so phobic; they just don't like having sex with other women and leave it at that), but I'm sure many of them are telling the truth.

Still, I do have a definate preference for women. My attraction towards men is still instinctual and more than incidental, but I idealize those relationships as "forbidden romances" more than anything else and they are often purely sexual in nature (still, I have been romantically infatuated with other guys before...like sex, it is a very different thing when you switch the gender). But I think about women a lot more. As I said, the preference is very clear. I don't doubt the OK Cupid statistics.

I don't know what to believe, but rather than going by the classic Kinsey scale or Bailey's theory, I would be inclined to use the "J" scale. Maybe even a J with a bit of a flat bottom (women, I think, really can fall very close to the center, although even there there is usually a preference, and because of the fetishization of "girl on girl action" many females, especially teenage girls, posture for male attention).
Hmm, so your theory is actually saying that there is no such person as totally straight man, with no affection for the same sex? I find that theory equally dumb as that theory that says there are no people that are gay or bi 'naturally', in other words, that there are no people that are born gay-bi.

You are clearly making conclusions only out of one source, which is you. So your conclusion is subjective.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, so your theory is actually saying that there is no such person as totally straight man, with no affection for the same sex? I find that theory equally dumb as that theory that says there are no people that are gay or bi 'naturally', in other words, that there are no people that are born gay-bi.

You are clearly making conclusions only out of one source, which is you. So your conclusion is subjective.
Well I was more talking to myself in that post and didn't actually read it over until after I sent it, which is why I actually contradicted myself later on and admitted striaght people did, in fact, exist:tongue:. I should have read it over.

I can't speak for other people's sexuality, because there is only one person's sexuality I can truly understand: my own. Everything else will be viewed in that light. So yes, it was quite subjective. It is sometimes difficult for bisexual people to imagine someone "limiting" themselves to one sex (as we see it). It is easy for us to speculate that, just perhaps, no one is completely straight or gay. This is of course deeply biased, and very presumptuous. I am very sorry. A lot of it is the fault of the "Kinsey Scale", which claims most people are somewhat bisexual (I don't agree with that, personally). It is very popular online, and has been accepted by the "gay community" as true, but mostly out of idealism. I am so familliar with it that I sometimes speak of it as if it was fact. But they are old theories, and outdated. I am sure there is such a thing as a 100% straight men; most probably are. My main point was that there are probably a lot more bisexual people than you think, especially if you count anyone with an attraction to both sexes at all as bi (My "J-scale" made room for that, actually). I am sorry if I offended you.:frustrating:

Will go back and change the post.

·
Registered
785 Posts
But then you get those guys who say they "don't have a drop of gay in them".
I found this to be a straight attack on me. Thats the only reason I was a bit offended.

I was certenly not offended because you've managed to 'shake' my belief that im totally heterosexual xD
I would be more offended if I was actually denaying my bi preferences, or was unsecure about my sexuality.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found this to be a straight attack on me. Thats the only reason I was a bit offended.

I was certenly not offended because you've managed to 'shake' my belief that im totally heterosexual xD
I would be more offended if I was actually denaying my bi preferences, or was unsecure about my sexuality.
Oh...that. Naw, I didn't think I was "shaking your beliefs" or anything; I just thought you might have been bothered that I "denied your sexuality"; even though you know in your heart you are who you are, sometimes an identity attack (of any type) can hurt anyway, you know? I felt really hypocritical...like after my sexuality is misunderstood, I go out and say insensitive things about others'? But yeah, you'd obviously be more hurt by that if you were really bi. *sigh* My INTP cluelessness/insensitivity...

There. The older post is more "polished" now.

I'm really sorry. I did not mean to make any personal attacks. No harm done...I hope?:sad:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well I was more talking to myself in that post and didn't actually read it over until after I sent it, which is why I actually contradicted myself later on and admitted striaght people did, in fact, exist:tongue:. I should have read it over.

I can't speak for other people's sexuality, because there is only one person's sexuality I can truly understand: my own. Everything else will be viewed in that light. So yes, it was quite subjective. It is sometimes difficult for bisexual people to imagine someone "limiting" themselves to one sex (as we see it). It is easy for us to speculate that, just perhaps, no one is completely straight or gay. This is of course deeply biased, and very presumptuous. I am very sorry. A lot of it is the fault of the "Kinsey Scale", which claims most people are somewhat bisexual (I don't agree with that, personally). It is very popular online, and has been accepted by the "gay community" as true, but mostly out of idealism. I am so familliar with it that I sometimes speak of it as if it was fact. But they are old theories, and outdated. I am sure there is such a thing as a 100% straight men; most probably are. My main point was that there are probably a lot more bisexual people than you think, especially if you count anyone with an attraction to both sexes at all as bi (My "J-scale" made room for that, actually). I am sorry if I offended you.:frustrating:

Will go back and change the post.
Well, it could be seen as limiting... But there is nothing we, straight guys, can do about it. We only like the opposite sex.

P.S. I want to say a lot more on this subject. But my disablity to form my toughts in words is very present atm... Il try it a bit later :p

Oh...that. Naw, I didn't think I was "shaking your beliefs" or anything; I just thought you might have been bothered that I "denied your sexuality"; even though you know in your heart you are who you are, sometimes that type of thing can hurt anyway. I felt really hypocritical...like after my sexuality is misunderstood/mocked, I go out and say really insensitive things about others'? But yeah, you'd obviously be more hurt by that if you were really bi. *sigh* My INTP cluelessness/insensitivity...

I'm really sorry. I did not mean to make any personal attacks. No harm done...I hope?:sad:
No harm done... But you need to be more open-minded and think outside the box. (your box is a different box than most of other people, but its still a box)

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
P.S. I want to say a lot more on this subject. But my disablity to form my toughts in words is very present atm... Il try it a bit later :p
Look forward to hearing your further thoughts.:smile:

No harm done... But you need to be more open-minded and think outside the box. (your box is a different box than most of other peoples, but its still a box)
Yes, you are absolutely right. We are all trapped in our own way of seeing the world, and for any worldview to make sense it must be limited. Sexuality is no different. I will try to be more open-minded.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts