Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been curious of my friend's type as of late. Just thought this would be a bit of fun :)

-Takes History, English language, drama and media for A level (for anyone outside the UK, A levels are a type of exam)
-Seems extroverted. Not only he is very talkative and loud but he seems to enjoy the company of people and parties and other social gatherings.
-An amazing sense of humour. He's always coming out with witty one liners.
-Interested in movies and screenwriting, especially action movies and comedies
-Seems quite laid back in his attitude towards school, work and friends
-A bit of a flirt
-Plays football (soccer)
-Fidgets quite a bit, especially with his hair and pen
-Very active
-Knows a lot about history and is especially interested in American history. Very good at remembering dates and names.

Yep :)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've been curious of my friend's type as of late. Just thought this would be a bit of fun :)

-Takes History, English language, drama and media for A level (for anyone outside the UK, A levels are a type of exam)
-Seems extroverted. Not only he is very talkative and loud but he seems to enjoy the company of people and parties and other social gatherings.
-An amazing sense of humour. He's always coming out with witty one liners.
-Interested in movies and screenwriting, especially action movies and comedies
-Seems quite laid back in his attitude towards school, work and friends
-A bit of a flirt
-Plays football (soccer)
-Fidgets quite a bit, especially with his hair and pen
-Very active
-Knows a lot about history and is especially interested in American history. Very good at remembering dates and names.

Yep :)
I would say ENTP, especially from the witty one-liners, seems extroverted and can be flirty descriptions that you mentioned. ENTPs are amongst the least likely to be stressed in life so can be very easy going and chilled.

Does he enjoying arguing with people and poke little insults at people now and again? Does he also like to start projects and get really passionate about them, juggling lots of different ideas - sometimes crazy, hilarious ideas?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say ENTP, especially from the witty one-liners, seems extroverted and can be flirty descriptions that you mentioned. ENTPs are amongst the least likely to be stressed in life so can be very easy going and chilled.

Does he enjoying arguing with people and poke little insults at people now and again? Does he also like to start projects and get really passionate about them, juggling lots of different ideas - sometimes crazy, hilarious ideas?
Yep. He definitely likes to poke fun at people but harmlessly of course. And he has quite a few ideas.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Yep. He definitely likes to poke fun at people but harmlessly of course. And he has quite a few ideas.
Ahh okay yeah I'd probably go with ENTP. If not then ESTPs who can also be funny but also quite athletic (SPs; performers) and it would explain the love for action movies. Ask him what sort of topics he enjoys debating, practical applicable things vs intellectual, theoretical things. This should help to differentiate between the types because ESTP are more action-oriented and usually slightly more extraverted.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Ahh okay yeah I'd probably go with ENTP. If not then ESTPs who can also be funny but also quite athletic (SPs; performers) and it would explain the love for action movies. Ask him what sort of topics he enjoys debating, practical applicable things vs intellectual, theoretical things. This should help to differentiate between the types because ESTP are more action-oriented and usually slightly more extraverted.
It's also worth noting that ESTPs, and really any SP, are natural enthusiasts. If philosophy comes up, they are into it as long as it doesn't wander TOOO far afield... and even then they may still say they are into it. Se is about having one's hand in every jar, especially in a dominant position. Often I'll observe an ESxP mirror with great enthusiasm my interest in pretty much any topic.

Also, intelligent ESxP types can actually genuinely get into intellectual things. Though fewer things, perhaps, than an ENTP. An intelligence ESTP is going to be full of IDEAS. I know one ESTP who I avoid at parties because the second I walk in the door he is up all over me with his great ideas (which I think are myopic, but I am pretty hard on 'ideas'... I can even be a bit condescending to some ENTPs, which I regret). Last time he was talking frenetically about data visualization and 'google-izing' the Bible to make people more likely to read some verse (not feel overwhelmed or need to commit to actually reading it, while also giving them interaction greater than some random quote) and 'affect the x billion people' on the internet. I still am not 100% sure what that even means. He is very intelligent if you ask me, and uses words that I don't even know, but is clearly not an Ne dom.† I think ESTPs stick with a few big ideas longer and more tenaciously (and myopically) than ENTPs would. It also feels that ESTPs inject a great deal more ideology into their ideas... and since they aren't naturally able to engage the abstract essence of things directly and maturely, it can sometimes be 'blind ideology'. The goal is always greatest impact and that can sometimes be a little light on introspection. ENTPs are definitely more objective about the ideology of an idea. ENTPs are also much more likely to dump their causes and ideas for entirely new ones at a fairly high rate... looking for that pure, perfect idea, even at the expense of seeing a workable but imperfect idea through to the end.

Also, ESTPs will talk in Ni terms, like 'fate' and 'destiny' and general impressions of "what's really going on" or divinations of the future. I guess I think ENTPs are much less inclined to this sort of thing.

It might be better to say that ENTPs are much more agile in the big picture, and adaptable at the highest levels... something ESTPs struggle with. Conversely, in the bedlam of bringing their ideas into reality, in the minutia and obstacles of the real world, the ESTP is much more agile and cunning... able to jury rig situations with a great deal of savvy.

Have you ever seen the show Suits? It's pretty good and I think that the two main characters are ESTP and ENTP. I think it portrays the difference excellently... though I think most ENTPs are nerdier than that one and most ESTPs are a bit more chill.

† I think that many ESTP ideas are actually quite good. They definitely tend to be more focused on what people would want or what would work rather than being a pure perfect idea, but I definitely don't want to insinuate that ESTPs have stupid ideas. Often they are quite good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts