Personality Cafe banner

Type Nine Variant Stackings

39K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Super Luigi 
#1 ·
Enneatype Nines are out of touch with the instinctual center. Because Nines are of touch with their instinctual energy they have a very conflicted relationship to the expression of the various instincts.

Self-pres/Social
This subtype is the most self-effacing of type Nine, possibly the least assertive of all the enneagram types. They can feel as though they have been looked over and passed by. While they do desire attention and recognition, with the sexual instinct last in the stacking, they seldom actively pursue it. They feel as though it’s just not worth it. This subtype is usually very deliberate and methodical in their speech. They sometimes get frustrated because they don’t feel that they can say what they really want to say. They are therefore often very short and concise with their communication, not wanting to provoke any confrontation. But when given a chance and the time to express themselves, they can be quite talkative. While self-pres needs are important to this type, the fact that they are essentially Nines, sometimes causes them to put the needs of others before their own. When under stress, this type is likely to do busy work, anything that distracts them from their problems.

In relationships, the self-pres instinct combines with the merging qualities of the Nine to make a person committed and connected strongly in areas of security, home and other practical matters. They merge their environment with their loved ones. On the down side, this subtype can be passive-aggressive and withdraw under stress, holding back affection. They could possibly go long periods of time without talking to their spouse directly.

Self-pres/Sexual

This subtype is self-effacing also, but is generally more assertive. They may be the subtype of Nine which is most aware of the boundaries between themselves and others and at the same time, possibly the most frustrated when those boundaries are violated. They can be aware of being walked over and they might even be aware of the anger it causes, but they become frustrated with their seeming inability to control this pattern. This is true, to some degree, of all Nines, but with the self-pres/sexual instinctual stacking, there seems to be a complex and interesting balance between the withdrawing energy caused by the dominant self-pres instinct and the assertive energy of the sexual instinct. This combination seems to raise consciousness of this dynamic.

Getting healthy for this subtype, and for all Nines, involves becoming aware of this dynamic and realizing they do have the power to control their boundaries. Part of this must come from the realization on the part of the Nine that they have invited this overstepping of their boundaries from others by not defining them.
Close relationships will usually work or not for this subtype depending on how well they deal with this issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
Social/Self-pres

Social Nines feel the need for validation and for "fitting in" but they feel these indirectly. They move towards others in a way which can resemble Twos, but they are motivated by a desire to initiate and maintain contact without provoking conflict. On the high side, the social/self-pres Nine generally knows a lot of people and gets along with most everyone. They are helpful people who generally have a great sense of humor. They get involved with the social environment. They might be the soccer coach, or if politically inclined, they might join and participate in a political party. When in leadership roles, they lead by consensus and charm. Their skill is in conflict management. With the sexual instinct last, they tend to avoid intensity, but they are actively involved with people.

Intimate relationships might be frustrating for the partner of this subtype of Nine because the Nine's social engagements might make the partner feel as though the Nine is connected with everyone except them. Sometimes this subtype can use their social connections in a passive-aggressive way against the partner; they might withhold attention from the partner in lieu of spending time with friends.

Social/Sexual

This subtype is "everyone’s friend." The social/sexual energy combines with the Nine's merging tendency and conflict avoidance to create a subtype that is very charming and uses humor quite extensively to engage with the people in their lives. On the down side, they can be frustrating because they can easily lose focus when it comes to their life priorities. With the self-pres instinct last in the stacking, they have a hard time tending to their own needs. They drift, and tend to use their charm to get a lot of their self-pres needs met by the people in their lives. When the Eight wing is dominant, they sometimes even develop a sense of entitlement, though they are just as likely to return help to those they charm into helping them.

In relationships, this subtype can suffer from some of the same problems as the other social subtype. They usually fall into a relationship in which the partner pushes them to "do more" with their lives. This can be positive for both parties, but often ends up causing resentment to build for both partners.

#38 ·
Social/Self-pres

Social Nines feel the need for validation and for "fitting in" but they feel these indirectly. They move towards others in a way which can resemble Twos, but they are motivated by a desire to initiate and maintain contact without provoking conflict. On the high side, the social/self-pres Nine generally knows a lot of people and gets along with most everyone. They are helpful people who generally have a great sense of humor. They get involved with the social environment. They might be the soccer coach, or if politically inclined, they might join and participate in a political party. When in leadership roles, they lead by consensus and charm. Their skill is in conflict management. With the sexual instinct last, they tend to avoid intensity, but they are actively involved with people.

Intimate relationships might be frustrating for the partner of this subtype of Nine because the Nine's social engagements might make the partner feel as though the Nine is connected with everyone except them. Sometimes this subtype can use their social connections in a passive-aggressive way against the partner; they might withhold attention from the partner in lieu of spending time with friends.
Yes, So/Sp 9 works :smile:

#3 ·
Sexual/Self-pres

The energy of the sexual instinct is at odds with the dominant type Nine energy and makes for a conflicted subtype. These Nines can appear to have a stronger connection to Three, for this reason. The assertive fiery energy engages in a constant push-pull with the calm peace-seeking energy of the Nine. This subtype can have an intense relationship with their environment. They are often drawn to solo sports or to an active engagement with nature that involves some risk and exertion. These Nines are drawn to peak experiences. They might enjoy outdoor solo sports or engaging in nature by way of hiking, rock climbing etc.

With the social instinct last in the stacking, there can be an on/off quality when it comes to relating and these Nines are often somewhat moodier than the other subtypes. As with the self-pres/sexual, this subtype might not engage socially with the same smoothness as other subtypes of Nine. They seem to go towards others in a staccato fashion - they connect in bursts, then withdraw.

When it comes to intimate relationships, this subtype can be needy. The merging of the Nine combines with the intensity of the sexual instinct to create a subtype that will always be in danger of losing themselves in a relationship. Their boundaries for themselves and their partner can become blurred which can lead to conflicts. This subtype might have a hard time judging clearly the degree to which they have merged.

Sexual/Social

This subtype of Nine may appear least like a stereotypical Nine because the outward sexual and social energies obscure some of the withdrawing and "zoning out" tendencies of the Nine. These Nines are the most connected and assertive of the subtypes of Nine, especially when it comes to relationships. There is still some internal struggle, as with the sexual/self-pres, but overall there is less of a tendency to withdraw. With the self-pres instinct last, this subtype can neglect self-preservationist needs in favor of the intensity of their sexual instinct's pursuits. Individuals of this subtype could easily be mistaken for the dominant wing, because the sexual energy tends to flow in a manner similar to the energy of the wing. A Nine with a One wing would therefore appear more One-like and a Nine with Eight might be mistaken for an Eight.

The central conflict for these Nines will still be in the realm of close intimate relationships and these Nines will have many of the same issues and challenges as the sexual/self-pres Nines.

[Source]

#9 ·
Sexual/Self-pres

The energy of the sexual instinct is at odds with the dominant type Nine energy and makes for a conflicted subtype. These Nines can appear to have a stronger connection to Three, for this reason. The assertive fiery energy engages in a constant push-pull with the calm peace-seeking energy of the Nine. This subtype can have an intense relationship with their environment. They are often drawn to solo sports or to an active engagement with nature that involves some risk and exertion. These Nines are drawn to peak experiences. They might enjoy outdoor solo sports or engaging in nature by way of hiking, rock climbing etc.

With the social instinct last in the stacking, there can be an on/off quality when it comes to relating and these Nines are often somewhat moodier than the other subtypes. As with the self-pres/sexual, this subtype might not engage socially with the same smoothness as other subtypes of Nine. They seem to go towards others in a staccato fashion - they connect in bursts, then withdraw.

I was confused of my type, i am 9/1 and thought i was a 3/2. The best part of playing golf is being outside and i can play alone.I love the outdoors. It only makes sense.

9/1 sx/sp/so

#5 ·
This is such a difficult process. I identify with all of them in some way but none of them completely :confused:
That's actually typical since E9s do relate to all or most of the other eight types in some way. It can be just as arduous to determine one's wing type under the E9 since you either relate well to both, or do not relate to either. The process is difficult. I found the enneagram long before I knew about MBTI. I had to take a break from the system for years and came back later. The process should be no different than determining your best fit type in MB since it should also take some self-analysis in lieu of tests.

#8 ·
Self-pres/Social
This subtype is the most self-effacing of type Nine, possibly the least assertive of all the enneagram types. They can feel as though they have been looked over and passed by. While they do desire attention and recognition, with the sexual instinct last in the stacking, they seldom actively pursue it. They feel as though it’s just not worth it. This subtype is usually very deliberate and methodical in their speech. They sometimes get frustrated because they don’t feel that they can say what they really want to say. They are therefore often very short and concise with their communication, not wanting to provoke any confrontation. But when given a chance and the time to express themselves, they can be quite talkative.
Wow, I can really relate to this.

#12 ·
I'm SP/SO...The most selfish type, at least that's what I think.

Reactions: pizzapie
#13 ·
I strongly believe that I'm sp/sx and for the longest time (like, many, many years. perhaps the whole of my late-childhood to just even this year)as average-unhealthy, I was so doormatty (most of the time) that I can't imagine anyone being MORE of a doormat than me :|

So I suppose I didn't fit the 'more assertive' bit of the description.

#14 ·
I think that there might be more factors involved in your lack of self-assertion other than your stacking, like being 9w1 or being triple withdrawn.

Reactions: LotusBlossom
#18 ·

Self-pres/Social
This subtype is the most self-effacing of type Nine, possibly the least assertive of all the enneagram types. They can feel as though they have been looked over and passed by. While they do desire attention and recognition, with the sexual instinct last in the stacking, they seldom actively pursue it. They feel as though it’s just not worth it. This subtype is usually very deliberate and methodical in their speech. They sometimes get frustrated because they don’t feel that they can say what they really want to say. They are therefore often very short and concise with their communication, not wanting to provoke any confrontation. But when given a chance and the time to express themselves, they can be quite talkative. While self-pres needs are important to this type, the fact that they are essentially Nines, sometimes causes them to put the needs of others before their own. When under stress, this type is likely to do busy work, anything that distracts them from their problems.

In relationships, the self-pres instinct combines with the merging qualities of the Nine to make a person committed and connected strongly in areas of security, home and other practical matters. They merge their environment with their loved ones. On the down side, this subtype can be passive-aggressive and withdraw under stress, holding back affection. They could possibly go long periods of time without talking to their spouse directly.
This one seems a lot like me. Especially the second paragraph. Also, the part in the first paragraph getting flustered about the way the words come out and not knowing what I actually want (it's a 9 thing in general).

#19 ·
It not easy being a 9! I just owned the fact after so much struggle that I am definitely a 9 but the subcategories are all me - this is such a bitter sweet process. There is relief knowing its not my fault who I am and I'm not alone but there such a sadness remembering how limiting 9 ness is but paradoxically it's the richest inner life of all the types.

#22 ·
Sp/so (Or whatever folk are shortening it too) sounds a lot like me, but the sp/sx really did. I feel like I am pretty assertive and straightforward in my primary relationships (I just want us all to get along smoothly and treat each other right), and I also feel like I am maybe overly conscious of my boundaries with people, you know, like I'm always paying attention to what they do towards me and I them out of my concern for respectfulness and other s**t, lol.

Also, I found this for self-preservation people (probably stickied somewhere, but anywho)--

Self-Preservation Nines are perhaps the most easygoing Nines, but they are also the most likely to need time alone, untroubled by other people's influence and requirements. They seek a sense of well-being through comfort: familiar routines, "comfort foods," and a supportive, uncomplicated environment are all highly valued. Self-Pres Nines have their own way of doing things, their own pace, and their own philosophy of life, and they will stubbornly resist any effort to change any of these things. Self-Pres Nines are also people of few words, preferring to communicate in nonverbal ways. They often pretend to be less savvy and aware than they actually are, as if tempting other people to underestimate them—so that they will be left alone. Positively, they are grounded and patient, possessing a great deal of common sense. They tend to have problems with overindulging themselves in food and drink, or conversely with rigorously controlling their diets—this is especially true of Self-Pres Nines with the One wing. They may also lack physical exercise. In any case, having their routine and lifestyle change is very challenging for them.

Hahaha, so me! I have always been so about stability and preparation, as well as getting around to my routines and comfort activities.
Also, the whole bits of really needing alone time and pretending to know less about things than you do cracked me up. I definitely like to gtf away from everyone at points and have some quiet time, and I have never paid too much attention to it but I have noticed how I'll act like I know less about a topic than I do... I think I've done it both to kind of have the conversation die and/or because I haven't been sure of my knowledge and thus my "right" to speak.

Blahblahzzz, 'nuff about me, haha. :)

#23 ·
Wow, I had a sudden realization! The reason I've been feeling not so 9-y is because I'm a 9w1 with a sx/so variant. That makes so much sense now! That variant is the one that seems the least like a 9. I identify most with the 9, but there were always certain things that I didn't identify too much with, and that was because of my instinctual variant. I'm enlightened :D

#24 ·
Self-pres/Social

This is totally me, except for the last two sentences; I'm not like that at all.

#25 ·
Enneatype Nines are out of touch with the instinctual center. Because Nines are of touch with their instinctual energy they have a very conflicted relationship to the expression of the various instincts.

Self-pres/Social

I once got SP/SX in a test result, but really relate to this SP/SO description, particularly what I've bolded.

#26 ·
Fine Distinctions – Nines – Tom Condon
Subtypes

Self Preservation Nines

• Often preoccupied with physical comfort, maintaining routines and satisfying appetites.
• Exceptionally good receivers and appreciators; the best things in life are free
• Grateful for what they have and treasure it
• Can be reliable, dependable and consistent
• Specialize in a defense of small horizons
• Self Preservation Nines are especially prone to diminish their own expectations, to not quite hope for much out of life-a defense against disappointment
• Could be financially well-off but have a self-image of someone poor or destitute
• Distract themselves with pleasant domestic activities. Live conservatively
• Consume food and drink for anaesthesia. Tend towards addiction, especially to numbing substances, smoking pot, overeating to the point of stupor
• Can have a love of the minimal and enjoy the repetition of known routines
• Sleepy; may be slow moving, lack energy and be physically lazy
• The cliche of the couch potato goes with the low side of this subtype
• Can be extremely neglectful and messy
• A spaced out, unfocused mentality; lack of rigor
• No enthusiasm for anything; life is purgatorial, just killing time

Intimate Nines

• Loyal in love; patient and enduring; able to stay steady in long term relationships
• Realistically see their partners limits but accept them
• Good listeners; supportive non-judgmental friends

• Often focused on an unconscious ideal of romantic union
• Nines with this subtype are sometimes mistaken for Fours because of the way they can melancholically yearn for what they don’t have

• May have high expectations of romantic partners and be prone to jealousy
• Often this dynamic represents a yearning for a distant parent
• The ideal of romantic union blocks out the real relationship. It is a way of staying disengaged from your priorities, a distracting obsession

• Find their attractiveness and self-worth in how others see them
• May idealize people while deleting their flaws; could tolerate being mistreated or abused
• Can be fickle in love. After committing to a relationship they can grow critical of their partner and develop a wandering eye
• Indiscriminate; might have multiple serial relationships, searching from one person to the next, obsessing about whether their current partner is “the right one”
• Some Intimate Nines get involved with two partners and can’t decide between them, a pattern of triangulation
• Can be romantic on the one hand, callous on the other
• Sometimes feel driven by lust, especially when the have an Eight wing

Social Nines

• Nine with this subtype enjoy group process and will work hard to facilitate a group purpose or mission
• Don’t seek the limelight but could be a group’s leader
• Could feel like the group’s emissary; no better or worse than those they represent

• Especially able to mediate, to speak to all sides in a conflict and find common ground between warring parties
• Gravitate toward groups but feel conflicted about fully joining them
• Enjoy a group’s energy and interests but are aware of the group‘s expectations

• Can lose themselves, immersing themselves in a group, trying to become all things to all people
• May play the role expected of them but stubbornly resent it
• Could also use the group as a barrier to keep the Nine from facing her own priorities

• Can get caught up in hyperactivity – a stronger connection to Three goes with this subtype. Often more extraverted and image conscious
• Rarely physically lazy. They can be very busy and active but asleep to their deeper priorities and needs

• Generally more cheerful and extroverted and may be mistyped as Sevens
• Can act spoiled and broadcast an implicit attitude of privilege, although this is otherwise inconsistent with Nine temperament
• An odd combination of self-importance and egolessness. Internally they struggle with feeling unseen, but outwardly they seek attention
• Beneath the adulation they received as children, they felt ignored for who they actually were

#27 ·
Subtypes

Self Preservation Nines

Often preoccupied with physical comfort, maintaining routines and satisfying appetites.
Exceptionally good receivers and appreciators; the best things in life are free
Grateful for what they have and treasure it
Can be reliable, dependable and consistent
• Specialize in a defense of small horizons
• Self Preservation Nines are especially prone to diminish their own expectations, to not quite hope for much out of life-a defense against disappointment

• Could be financially well-off but have a self-image of someone poor or destitute
• Distract themselves with pleasant domestic activities. Live conservatively
Consume food and drink for anaesthesia. Tend towards addiction, especially to numbing substances, smoking pot, overeating to the point of stupor
• Can have a love of the minimal and enjoy the repetition of known routines
• Sleepy; may be slow moving, lack energy and be physically lazy

• The cliche of the couch potato goes with the low side of this subtype
• Can be extremely neglectful and messy
• A spaced out, unfocused mentality; lack of rigor
• No enthusiasm for anything; life is purgatorial, just killing time

Intimate Nines

Loyal in love; patient and enduring; able to stay steady in long term relationships
• Realistically see their partners limits but accept them
• Good listeners; supportive non-judgmental friends

• Often focused on an unconscious ideal of romantic union

• Nines with this subtype are sometimes mistaken for Fours because of the way they can melancholically yearn for what they don’t have

• May have high expectations of romantic partners and be prone to jealousy
Often this dynamic represents a yearning for a distant parent
• The ideal of romantic union blocks out the real relationship. It is a way of staying disengaged from your priorities, a distracting obsession

• Find their attractiveness and self-worth in how others see them
May idealize people while deleting their flaws; could tolerate being mistreated or abused
• Can be fickle in love. After committing to a relationship they can grow critical of their partner and develop a wandering eye
• Indiscriminate; might have multiple serial relationships, searching from one person to the next, obsessing about whether their current partner is “the right one”
• Some Intimate Nines get involved with two partners and can’t decide between them, a pattern of triangulation
• Can be romantic on the one hand, callous on the other
• Sometimes feel driven by lust, especially when the have an Eight wing

Social Nines

Nine with this subtype enjoy group process and will work hard to facilitate a group purpose or mission
• Don’t seek the limelight but could be a group’s leader
• Could feel like the group’s emissary; no better or worse than those they represent

• Especially able to mediate, to speak to all sides in a conflict and find common ground between warring parties
Gravitate toward groups but feel conflicted about fully joining them
• Enjoy a group’s energy and interests but are aware of the group‘s expectations

• Can lose themselves, immersing themselves in a group, trying to become all things to all people
• May play the role expected of them but stubbornly resent it
• Could also use the group as a barrier to keep the Nine from facing her own priorities

• Can get caught up in hyperactivity – a stronger connection to Three goes with this subtype. Often more extraverted and image conscious
• Rarely physically lazy. They can be very busy and active but asleep to their deeper priorities and needs

Generally more cheerful and extroverted and may be mistyped as Sevens
• Can act spoiled and broadcast an implicit attitude of privilege, although this is otherwise inconsistent with Nine temperament
• An odd combination of self-importance and egolessness. Internally they struggle with feeling unseen, but outwardly they seek attention
• Beneath the adulation they received as children, they felt ignored for who they actually were

According to OP, my husband seems like an so/sx or sx/so... but your descriptions seem to hit 80% of each section for him. Ugh!!

#28 ·
I am a type 9w1 apparently but my socio-stack thingy seems to me as though it would change with my circumstances a bit. At the moment I test with SO/SP as equal and then SX not far behind. I don't really know what to do with that though.

#29 · (Edited)
I identify equally well with both SP and SX...I am extremely introverted though and have problems being assertive, especially around people I don't know well. I do tend to have low energy and want to 'live at my own pace' but except for worrying about money, I don't really care about much what's mentioned in SP. Ugh, I really feel like I'm very balanced with both SP and SX. The only thing I know for sure by now is that I'm SO-last.

Like, my mother will frequently tell me 'you need money to get by and live' to which I'll usually respond in an almost annoyed tone 'yeah I know, you told me'. The importance of being financially independent has been ingrained into my sis and I from a very young age, so it has always been a thing. And I do recognise it's importance. The urge to be financially stable and independent has been at odds with wanting to go after my dreams for as long as I can remember. Honestly, I didn't even care about the financial side of it until I got older. And while it's terrifying to think of having a job where I don't earn enough to have a place to live or food to eat, it's equally scary and boring as hell to think of having a job that has stable income but doesn't interest me at all. I feel very stuck and torn between the two.

#30 ·
Well, I'm possibly 9w1 (maybe a 5?) but I'm having trouble figuring out my stacking. I think I'm either SP/SO, SP/SX, or SO/SP. I'll just list what applies from each stacking:

SP/SO
- This subtype is the most self-effacing of type Nine, possibly the least assertive of all the enneagram types. They can feel as though they have been looked over and passed by.
- They sometimes get frustrated because they don’t feel that they can say what they really want to say. They are therefore often very short and concise with their communication, not wanting to provoke any confrontation. But when given a chance and the time to express themselves, they can be quite talkative.
- While self-pres needs are important to this type, the fact that they are essentially Nines, sometimes causes them to put the needs of others before their own. When under stress, this type is likely to do busy work, anything that distracts them from their problems.
- On the down side, this subtype can be passive-aggressive and withdraw under stress, holding back affection. They could possibly go long periods of time without talking to their spouse directly.

SP/SX
- They may be the subtype of Nine which is most aware of the boundaries between themselves and others and at the same time, possibly the most frustrated when those boundaries are violated.
- Close relationships will usually work or not for this subtype depending on how well they deal with this issue.

SO/SP
- Social Nines feel the need for validation and for "fitting in"
- They are helpful people who generally have a great sense of humor.
- With the sexual instinct last, they tend to avoid intensity
- Intimate relationships might be frustrating for the partner of this subtype of Nine because the Nine's social engagements might make the partner feel as though the Nine is connected with everyone except them.

SO/SX
- This subtype is "everyone’s friend."
- On the down side, they can be frustrating because they can easily lose focus when it comes to their life priorities.
- In relationships, this subtype can suffer from some of the same problems as the other social subtype. They usually fall into a relationship in which the partner pushes them to "do more" with their lives. This can be positive for both parties, but often ends up causing resentment to build for both partners.

SX/SP
~Nothing~

SX/SO
​~Nothing~

#31 · (Edited)

Self-pres/Sexual
This subtype is self-effacing also, but is generally more assertive.
Yes, I can most definitely go both ways. When it comes to my work, I will take credit for it. I am modest but honest.

They may be the subtype of Nine which is most aware of the boundaries between themselves and others and at the same time, possibly the most frustrated when those boundaries are violated.
Yea, this is true, but I was too insecure and unsure of myself to see it for what it is. Of course, I am very very aware of it now. And Yes, it does frustrate me when people are violating my boundaries, and I don't view them as friendship material if they do not stop it. Us Nines have to risk rejection and ridicule when we stand up for ourselves. People will respect us more when we do. This is true of my own life. Yes, it is scary at first, but it gets easier over time with a lot of practice. We do not have to be doormats!!!

They can be aware of being walked over and they might even be aware of the anger it causes, but they become frustrated with their seeming inability to control this pattern.
This is true when that awareness became strong for me. I have developed anger issues over it and that's okay. Sometimes, we need anger to be our friend who will stand by us as we stand up for ourselves. With one particular person, I have became angry a lot with him because I was frustrating that I could not end this pattern with him, and I really did not want to lose his friendship. I was prepared to end it if I had to. Instead, I fought for our friendship by keep trying to make him understand how it made me feel when he violate my boundaries in the way that he did. He have gotten better over time, and now, I can enjoy him more fully without anger and irritation, and I don't have to keep fighting for him to respect my boundaries anymore. If he violates him, I will remind him that I don't feel comfortable with that behavior or words in a friendly manner. We have to stand up for ourselves and make sure we communicate our awareness to others who we truly value.

This is true, to some degree, of all Nines, but with the self-pres/sexual instinctual stacking, there seems to be a complex and interesting balance between the withdrawing energy caused by the dominant self-pres instinct and the assertive energy of the sexual instinct. This combination seems to raise consciousness of this dynamic.
I used to withdraw to the point I would find places to hide to get away from all that Social pressure, expectations and demands draining my energy. I am also friendly and engaging, whether it is from external Social pressure of trying to keep the peace at all cost (at my expense) or I generally want to be friendly towards people. I try not to withdraw in front of people unless I have a good excuse, like doing my sudoku puzzle, stare out the window, write, read, etc... I try my best to be engaging and present when I am in the present of people. I have to use assertive energy to be able to keep that up. Hahaha!

Getting healthy for this subtype, and for all Nines, involves becoming aware of this dynamic and realizing they do have the power to control their boundaries.
YES!!! This is so true!!!! It is not easy or comfortable at first, but it is so worth it to have this awareness and be proactive! I am much happier with control over my boundaries. Keeping the peace at all cost (at my expense) really really really SUCKED!!!

Part of this must come from the realization on the part of the Nine that they have invited this overstepping of their boundaries from others by not defining them.
Yes, this is hard to do and feels bad to believe this about ourselves. This truth will set us free, well at least it set me free by taking responsibility for my part of allowing people to walk all over me like a doormat. Please we have to forgive ourselves and be grateful that we don't have to live this way anymore. I admit, I was very angry with myself for my stupidity. Dr. Phil talks about the pay off, and I took responsibility for the pay off that I got in return. I was a sucker for free food, so I let them take me out to eat as they dumped and walked all over me! Hahaha! It really hurt me to face this about myself and realized what I have done to myself for so many years. I am just glad that I don't have to live like that anymore.

Close relationships will usually work or not for this subtype depending on how well they deal with this issue.
This is true of my experience as well. Sometimes, I dealt with issues well and sometimes, I was too frustrated with how I was treated to deal with things adequately. Those who causes me frustration, anger or irritation (frustrating my need for peace), I just let them go. I would rather be alone in my own space than to be around people who don't respect my need for peace that includes having healthy boundaries.

HELL NO! WE DO NOT HAVE TO BE DOORMATS ANY MORE!!!!! Listen to this variant stacking regardless what yours are. Anger have been almost invisible to me for most of my life and feared it, but now, it is a friend that I keep very close to me in the form of my 1 wing. It helps to keep me balanced in my perceptions and not idealized anybody but see the truth for what it is.

Reactions: Matcha Shortcake
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.