Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been studying typology and the MBTI recently. At first, I was convinced I was an S. (I'm always very aware of my environment, sudden events don't catch me off-guard, I'm usually the one to point out details about movies, events etc. that others don't notice, very much so in the physical realm)

Recently however, I've been reading a book called, "Typewatch" by Otto Kroeger. Some of the iNtuitive examples given, I can, to some degree, relate to as well.

Here are some issues that causes me to wonder which (S or N) I am.

1. I'm very detail oriented when receiving information and I'm very good at knowing which details are important/ relevant and which are not. When relaying information, depending on my mood, I can be very abstract and vague. Ex. "What did you do today?" "Ah, just went out to see a movie." As opposed to, "I went to the 'X' mall with 'X' and checked out, 'X' at the movie theater."

2. Again, when relaying information, I'm more of a big picture guy. When receiving I need the details. Ex. When relaying, "Hey, I just found out you can sign up with me at the gym." When receiving, if somebody used the same phrase I'd become aggravated and say something like, "Alright...what do you mean I can sign up with you at the gym, how?"

(I'm wondering if I'm abstract and vague because I just don't care enough to express all of the details. It's not that they aren't important when relaying, it's just I don't want to waste my breath/ time expressing details if I don't have to. [I can't stand talking a lot. If they get the same message from, "Hey, I just found out you can sign up with me at the gym," as a 3 minute speech filled with details, I'll use vague expression.] Again, I need the details myself and they ARE very important, but only to me and those who require them.)

3. I'm not very theoretical, but recently I've become a little more. Also, I've found myself daydreaming often, more recently. When I was younger, I was a Sensor. No doubt about it. I was ultra resourceful and I'd figure out hundreds of ways to apply what was in my immediate environment, in ways most wouldn't even think of. As I got older, I began to daydream, more and more. I can remember about 3-4 fantasies(unrealistic and I knew it, I just liked thinking about them) I had growing up. They lasted a few months at a time and while I knew they were unrealistic, I enjoyed thinking about them. They began around the age of 10 and ended around 12.

My current situation causes me to be cooped up in my house most of the day, so that may contribute to my issues. I figured I'd drop this by the, "What's My Personality Type" section and see if you guys can help. I'm sure some of you know much more about MBTI than I.

P.S. Feel free to ask any questions, if they'll help you to figure out my S vs. N preference.

Edit: Another point I forgot to bring up. I'm not too fond of gaining information, just to have it. I've never been a bookworm and if I can't see any practical application, count me out. I could care less. Which doesn't seem very "N."

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
If you suspect you might be intuitive then this would correspond to INTP. But INTPs use different 'set' of perceiving functions than ISTPs. ISTPs rely on Se and Ni. INTPs on Ne and Si. So to figure out whether you are intuitive or sensor you'll have to read more in detail about these functions and decide whether you use Ni or Ne, Si or Se.

In my experience ISTPs seems to be more engaged than INTPs and when they are learning something they prefer to get a lot of hands on experience. INTPs are more dispassionate, may think about topics that seem to be very much removed from reality to the point where other people may think why does this even matter, and of course they often derive satisfaction from just thinking about things and not necessarily following through with doing anything. ISTPs to the contrary seem to like to actually do things. Around early 20s to early 30s the tertiary function kicks into development. ISTPs find themselves developing Ni and INTPs start developing Si. This is where it can get confusing as you suddenly find yourself using a previously underutilized function, and in fact may be even seeking out experience and people that help along in its development, and wonder whether you might be some other type as a result.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Se-Ni user:D

Se works more in the present dealing with details.
Si would probably be used more to talk about all the details in the past that are stored internally.
Ni talking about the past or future is more abstract.

Anyway being N or S doesn't mean that you don't use the other.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Se-Ni user:D

Se works more in the present dealing with details.
Si would probably be used more to talk about all the details in the past that are stored internally.
Ni talking about the past or future is more abstract.

Anyway being N or S doesn't mean that you don't use the other.
Wow. Maybe that's why, when I tell stories, I'm not as detail oriented? I'm definitely good with present details, but they fade with time.

Thanks for the description. I sort of understood the difference between Se and Si, but after reading your post, I had a bit of a "light bulb" moment, haha. I'd say after considering this, I'm definitely Ti, Se, Ni, Fe. Ti has always been dominant, Secondary and Tertiary were the two causing me problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your presentation read like pages from my youth... I value your privacy therefor I will omit further details which my allude to clear recognition of both our (S vs N) tendencies... vivid dreams, detailed memories of long past events...strict adherence to useful information etc..

I'm no expert but to give an answer I must first ask... do your regular pass-time activities surround graphic arts, writing or inventing something new?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your presentation read like pages from my youth... I value your privacy therefor I will omit further details which my allude to clear recognition of both our (S vs N) tendencies... vivid dreams, detailed memories of long past events...strict adherence to useful information etc..

I'm no expert but to give an answer I must first ask... do your regular pass-time activities surround graphic arts, writing or inventing something new?
Sorry about the delayed response. Work has been pretty hectic the past few days.

No I don't, not in the least bit. I'll usually play video games, airsoft/paintball, watch T.V./ movies, exercise(swimming, jogging, weights etc.), etc. I've tried art and writing on very rare occasions. I typically put down the pencil after about 5-10 minutes, out of boredom.

I'm thinking I'm just a Sensor who has been deprived of Sensing for awhile. It seems the more I work my job, the more my Sensing side comes back. My thoughts are more linear, I'm more aware of my surroundings, even my descriptions/stories/directions are becoming more detailed.

I also noticed that I use very literal terms(second, minute etc.) as opposed to abstract terms(momentarily). I'm terrible with sarcasm too. I had a guy walk up to me at work(security), after leaving a zone in which alcohol was strictly prohibited for the day and said, "Hey man, you see these two. You better check em'. They got some alcohol." So I proceeded to look around the area and try to spot who he was referring to. Then he said, "I'd check these two as well. Looks like they have something." (He pointed to two women) So I turned my attention to them and began trying to spot the alcohol. I didn't understand he was joking until he said, "Yeah you should check their pockets, they got some beer in there." Which was as obvious as the sun outside, on a sunny day, he wasn't serious.

I read that Sensors aren't the best with sarcasm, because they are very literal and take things as they are(rarely looking for a deeper meaning in them), which I did and often do.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
You sound like an ISTP.

When intuitives talk about themselves, they often do not relate real examples, or that's not the focus. They mostly speak in conceptual terms. And abstract and vague are NOT the same thing :tongue:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I also noticed that I use very literal terms(second, minute etc.) as opposed to abstract terms(momentarily). I'm terrible with sarcasm too.

I read that Sensors aren't the best with sarcasm, because they are very literal and take things as they are(rarely looking for a deeper meaning in them), which I did and often do.
Taking things literally seems to be a side-effect of Ti. Sometimes I switch into this mode when I am trying to think about something and suddenly find myself taking things very literally, needing clarifications and precise definitions. This desire for clarify things has started happening relatively recently and I believe it corresponds to development of my tertiary Ti function. I have also noticed this in communication with INTPs that they do want me to say exactly what I mean and not play around with words or switch definitions.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
There is a distinct breed of INTJ and most ENTJs(and rarely, the INTP) who don't value gaining knowledge if it does not benefit them practically. They are still "intellectual" usually.. at least in their field (where they will not wander outside)

I do not necessarily doubt your conclusions, but that is something to consider.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been considering, being an INTP, but as a child(2-12) I was certainly a Sensor. Anytime I start to believe I might be an "N" I'm reminded of my childhood and think, "There's no way I was an "N" back then." And I knew some "N's." I could care less about knowledge and school. All I wanted to do and think about was recess or P.E. When I got home, right outside I went, playing with the neighbors or finding things to jump off of. I always lived in the present, didn't think much about the past or future and to this day, I've never been able to hold a grudge.

Something might happen at school(or in my current situation work) and I'd think to myself when I got home, "I'll show them. Just wait, tomorrow they're getting it." The second I woke up the next day(even sometimes before that night), I'd be cooled off and wouldn't do anything because I didn't care anymore. Only recently I've been thinking about the past and the future, different possibilities and such. It really bothers me, because I can't stand doing it and I know I haven't always been like this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts