Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes called the 'Loyalist', when you have won the trust of a Six you will find them warm, reliable, loving, faithful, and supportive. I especially value their highly developed quick-witted sense of humour, which brings great benefit to the family or work team. There is probably no better example of the fine wit, and the anxieties of a Six than Woody Allen.

Watch almost any of the films he appears in to study the type. Also watch the sitcom Friends and pay particular attention to Chandler. (The others in the series jokingly complain he always gets the best lines.) He once introduced himself as the one who makes jokes when he feels uncomfortable. It's easy to confuse the anxiety of a Six with that of a One. Watch Friends and note the different ways in which Monica and Chandler are anxious. Monica is more concerned that she and everyone else get it right (in her terms). Chandler is more generally anxious. Angry Sixes express it with wit, sarcasm, and biting remarks. Commonly there are accusations and a defensive lashing out when a Six feels threatened. This is fear projected onto other people, which is the Six way of dealing with it.

How Sixes can nurture themselves and grow

1. Check out your fears with a trusted friend
  2. When fear is overwhelming, drop the attention to the breath in the belly.
  3. Get your hands in the soil and grow something.
  4. Do something practical or creative that you find absorbing, such as painting, pottery, sculpting, sewing, and so on.
  5. Keep a diary in which you honestly write down your fears. Go back after each week and see how many of them were real and how many imagined.
  6. Keep a separate book in which you record intuitions, and their consequences, to develop a sense of when they are reliable.
  7. Lighten up by going to funny films and spending time with entertainment friends.
  8. When fear grips, repeat to yourself like a mantra "It's going to be OK".
  9. When someone gives you a compliment, resist your first impulse to reject it, and learn to hear what people value about you.
  10. Take part in a regular, heart pumping sport or other physical activity to disperse the adrenalin in your bloodstream that the panic creates.
  11. Become conscious of your habit of doubting, so that you can choose to transform it by developing faith and courage.
How you can help me grow if I am a Six

- Take my doubts seriously so that I can question their validity.
- Appreciate me sincerely in a quite and moderate way, and don't sing my praises too loudly.
- Encourage me to talk about how I am feeling as you are listening to my thinking.
- Demonstrate emotional constancy to support my need to stand firm and be loyal.
- Help me to see the impact of my own doubting mind on others.
- Protect yourself from my sharpness long enough to teach me the pleasure of recieving you without claws.
- Make me shake with laughter not fear.

Excerpt from "Enneagram and the Spirit" by Mary Horsley

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Also watch the sitcom Friends and pay particular attention to Chandler. (The others in the series jokingly complain he always gets the best lines.) He once introduced himself as the one who makes jokes when he feels uncomfortable. It's easy to confuse the anxiety of a Six with that of a One. Watch Friends and note the different ways in which Monica and Chandler are anxious. Monica is more concerned that she and everyone else get it right (in her terms). Chandler is more generally anxious.
OMG Friends was mentioned, I can relate to Friends, and sometimes start off things with "That reminds me, when in Friends......" I like this.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG Friends was mentioned, I can relate to Friends, and sometimes start off things with "That reminds me, when in Friends......" I like this.
lol I actually did this last night when talking to two friends of mine ... "It's like in Friends when Joey .... "

I haven't watched TV in about a year, yet I still remember those episodes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts