Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other Variant threads and websites:

The Enneagram Blogspot: Type 6: Security-Seeker
http://personalitycafe.com/type-6-forum-loyalist/9161-type-six-variant-stackings.html

Sexual Six:

Symbols of power and connection
. In the average range, sexual sixes develop physical strength, power, and/or physical attractiveness to feel safe. More aggressive sexual sixes rely on strength and displays of toughness that can resemble type 8 ("Don't mess with me"), while more phobic sexual 6's use their sexuality and coquettishness to disarm others and attract support in ways that can resemble type 4. They mask their insecurities through open assertion and defiance of authority, or through flirtation and seduction.

Sexual 6's are highly aware of their physical attributes - for instance, spending time in gyms - although not for health reasons but to enhance their strength and appeal. Sexual 6's want to attract a powerful and capable mate, so they frequently test the other, both to see if they will stay with them, as well as to give themselves time to assess the other person's character and fortitude.

Sexual 6's are more openly defiant of authority than the other instinctual variants of the six, especially when anxious. They are also the most doubting of others and of themselves. They can have explosive emotional reactions when their own insecurities are exposed or their connections with others are threatened. When anxious, they may assert themselves against their own supporters or third parties rather than at the true source of their anxieties. Attempts at sabotaging others, or undermining their reputations in various ways, especially through rumor-mongering, are typical.

In the unhealthy range, sexual sixes can be depressive and erratic, especially if they feel that their reactivity has undermined or ruined their intimate connections. Impulsive, self-destructive behaviour alternates with irrational lashing out. Paranoia may become part of the picture, although usually with a distinctly focused and obsessive flavour since it is aimed at particular, personal enemies.
Social Six:
Generating support
. In the average range, social sixes handle anxiety by looking to friends and allies for reassurance and support. They project friendliness and attempt to create bonds with others, disarming them with warmth and humour. They often make fun of themselves while offering support and affection to others, and they can sometimes be mistaken for Twos. Social sixes are the most concerned about fitting in. ("There's safety in numbers.") They are fairly idealistic, enjoying the feeling of being part of something larger than themselves - a cause or corporation or movement or group - and are willing to make major sacrifices for the security of that affiliation.

Social sixes can also sometimes resemble ones in their adherence to protocols and procedures. They look for reassurance through commitments, obligations, and contracts - insurance that their hard work will not be taken advantage of. When they are insecure, Social Sixes look for places of safety where like-minded individuals help each other out (twelve-step groups).

Although able to make major efforts for others or for their group, Social Sixes can often have difficultly working for their own success or development. Anxiety can lead them to look for consensus before they act or make decisions; anxiety also leads them to reference the potential responses of others in their imagination. Their own indecisiveness bothers them, however, and leads to ambivalence about depending on allies or authorities. They fear losing the support of the group or authority but chafe at the bit. If frustrated, they can develop passive-aggressive issues with authorities and friends. Under stress, they easily feel pressured, overworked, and under appreciated. At such times, they can be negative and pessimistic.

In the unhealthy range, Social Sixes may become attracted to fanatical beliefs, causes, and groups. They may develop an "us against the world" mentality, feeling besieged by a hostile environment (somewhat like an unhealthy 8). They can be unquestioning of their beliefs (even if others find their beliefs to be questionable) and slavish to a particular authority while being extremely paranoid about authorities not in alignment with their own belief system.

Self-Preservation Six:
Responsibility. In the average range, SP sixes attempt to allay their survival anxieties by working hard to build up security through mutual responsibility. They offer service and commitment with the expectation that it will be reciprocated by others. Although they seek secure partnerships, SP Sixes tend to make friends slowly: they observe others over time to see if they are trustworthy and truly "on their side." They are more domestic than the other variants and are frequently concerned with maintaining the stability of their home life. They often take care of the security needs of the household: bills, taxes, insurance, and the like.

SP sixes do not easily disguise their anxiety and neediness. In fact, they may use it to gain allies and supporters - vulnerability can elicit help from others. They tend to fret about small things, which can lead to catastrophic thinking and worst-case scenarios. ("The rent is five days late? We're going to be evicted for sure!") SP sixes are usually frugal, and worry a great deal about financial matters. Conflicts with others over resources are common.

In the unhealthy range, SP sixes are extremely clingy, dependent, and panicky. They stay in punishing situations - bad marriages or overly stressful jobs - because they are terrified at being without support. They may grasp at relationships with such forceful anxiety that they end up alienating the very people they want to bond with. Paranoia may also drive them to become more aggressive: they exaggerate dangers and strike out at "enemies" to ensure that no one will be able to threaten them. Ironically, this often ends up destroying their own security systems.

Riso and Hudson, Wisdom of the Enneagram

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm supposedly a sexual six. I don't flirt. I'm straight forward, yea or nay. And might I barter an indecisive for a thoughtful? It depends what it's based on. If I'm afraid and not wanting to sacrifice some sort of standing or comfort (but not true happiness and maybe its empty or whatnot), perhaps that could be coined the negative term of indecisive. But, if I'm indecisive because I'm trying to figure out a better way to make a difference in my future and what my strengths could do, then I think I'm more thoughtful.

I also don't use my sexuality to get things. I hate that. I like woman to be strong. Man, I aspire to be. When I think of a strong sexual six. I think of succeeding in a snappy situation. I think of going after a talent with everything you got. Or, having raised eyebrows even if everyone else's are pointed downwards. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. And I don't think worrying about how children are treated in bad situations, or other people in far away lands, etc. etc. and what to do about it, is a negative thing. I think you pick your battles wisely. You realize worrying doesn't solve problems. And you don't pretend to be a careless/happy go lucky person when you are not. You just be strong in that you might see things for what they are. There's nothing wrong with that if you make a difference. I worry. Sure. I try and pick my battles though.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,631 Posts
This is great @sleepyhead, thanks for posting this. Im still working out if im an sx/sp or sx/so, I seem to score about the same for so and sp so its good to hear a more detailed description. Still very unsure though. Im kind of going by what variant is a blind spot for me which is hard. Its good to see more stuff on variants.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,631 Posts
I'm supposedly a sexual six. I don't flirt. I'm straight forward, yea or nay. And might I barter an indecisive for a thoughtful? It depends what it's based on. If I'm afraid and not wanting to sacrifice some sort of standing or comfort (but not true happiness and maybe its empty or whatnot), perhaps that could be coined the negative term of indecisive. But, if I'm indecisive because I'm trying to figure out a better way to make a difference in my future and what my strengths could do, then I think I'm more thoughtful.

I also don't use my sexuality to get things. I hate that. I like woman to be strong. Man, I aspire to be. When I think of a strong sexual six. I think of succeeding in a snappy situation. I think of going after a talent with everything you got. Or, having raised eyebrows even if everyone else's are pointed downwards. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. And I don't think worrying about how children are treated in bad situations, or other people in far away lands, etc. etc. and what to do about it, is a negative thing. I think you pick your battles wisely. You realize worrying doesn't solve problems. And you don't pretend to be a careless/happy go lucky person when you are not. You just be strong in that you might see things for what they are. There's nothing wrong with that if you make a difference. I worry. Sure. I try and pick my battles though.
I definitely see a strong social side to you Ethel, you seem aware of the world at large and an awareness of social issues. I see some strong SP too, you come accross as wanting maintain your own niche, you invest a lot of goodness in yourself. Of course, I might be totally wrong about you, just some observations though. Having said that, I don't always think SX is always easy to pick up over the internet, I get the SX vibe from actually being face to face with another person but thats just me, I dunno, with some, SX is very obvious actually, like a lot of passion in a persons writing. Its a difficult one.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I definitely see a strong social side to you Ethel, you seem aware of the world at large and an awareness of social issues. I see some strong SP too, you come accross as wanting maintain your own niche, you invest a lot of goodness in yourself. Of course, I might be totally wrong about you, just some observations though. Having said that, I don't always think SX is always easy to pick up over the internet, I get the SX vibe from actually being face to face with another person but thats just me, I dunno, with some, SX is very obvious actually, like a lot of passion in a persons writing. Its a difficult one.
Thanks, for your input. I greatly appreciate your insight. :) I like taking a step back and analyzing it too. And want to make sure I'm correct. And usually when it comes to the typing I know the first or second try.

Yeah, the SX/SP/SO stuff, have varying articles. If anything I would secondly think I was an SP/SX. They are supposed to be Earthy, and whatnot, quietly intense. I can relate to that outside of my family, close friends, and writing. But, I don't think I'm that mellow. And I know it. I got a brother who might be more like that and there's no way I'm that mellow. Cuz I'm pretty intense when something bother me, even though I'm an introvert.

For awhile, I thought SX/SO because of the identifying with a cause and practically embodying it and the pet causes. And all of that stuff. I could see that. I relate to the people they have listed (to an extent) like John Lennon and Joan of Arc (more symbolically, what Joan of Arc stands for) But, that's exactly what it is, being a symbol for change. And I'm not like that. I hate attention. I don't need it. Even if it had a good means. I'm much more hands on and gritty.

The reason I think SO is last is because that's the first thing I'll sacrifice, in terms of, survival in my group standing. I never really needed it, in the first place.

I got a little tangled up in that one too. I thought maybe I was an SX/SO because I liked causes and whatnot. But, I think it's more of a combo of 6w5, INFP, and my upbringing.

I relate to SX/SP. I could sit alone and still be strong in that. I spent hours and hours alone in the woods and on the beach growing up. And I like the strength in setting out on my own. It's the most inspiring thing to me. And I love causes, but I think I serve them best hands on. I am amazing one on one. I can really persuade people's thinking. And I don't do it to manipulate. It's usually to help out someone who is ill. But then again, I'd love to sit down with a very mentally tough person and pick apart their thinking. My only 2 boyfriends have ever been drug dealers. Like they weren't when they met me and were looking for a peaceful home life. But the point is, I gravitate towards street smarts and whatnot. And I can be very physically brave. At my best my reflexes are amazing.

And I realize whatever cause I have is going to be more of a journey and searching. And that is so SX/SP. They are searching, or wandering, or on a journey. Even when we b.s. about it. I relate to the wanting a home life and a life of independence. And I do well with both. Like without a one on one person in my life to consult with, I wouldn't laugh much or loosen up. So, even though I'm good independent I really enjoy a second person to pick things apart with. And I like to learn from their strengths and preferences to enhance mine or find another piece to the puzzle that I I'm missing.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I also have that book, it was very easy to recognize myself as sx Six from those options... My life really is about strength and beauty - and also making others like me. I am precise about my looks. I don't mean I would necessarily be highly stylish, no. But I try to stay fit, it's important to me. And I've tried judo and fitness boxing, just to gain more physical and mental strength. Even body-building has tempted me a bit, I tend to gain more muscle quite easily. Once I read that many body-builders are sx Sixes, don't know if it's actually true. Also, I like to have something that is tempting in me. Not anything vulgar but something little sweet and cute and flirty. Funny but many times sweet smile, slightly flirty and intense look and a taste of shyness produce absolutely interesting results ^_^

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I think I'm falling apart and it kinda looks like this:

1. My living space has gone to hell, clothes thrown wherever I felt like throwing it in the room, mess on the floor, haven't vacuum cleaned in a while, electronic parts on the floor, some mugs a beer bottle, medicine and junk on my desk. The vacuum cleaner in the middle of my own room...haven't touched it, just brought it in. Just threw stuff into the drawers, didn't put the books back properly (my room is kind of a mini library so yeah messy atm).

2. I'm sick, coughing, taking medicine for it -.- something I neglected last 2 days (I forgot to take it). I have let myself go, can't really get fat (fast metabolism or what) but I feel really unhealthy and weak...my job is killing my back! GRRRRR. I'm eating unhealthy and at random lately.

3. Socially...well it has never been good. I thought that it was just my social anxiety...but now that I barely feel it anymore...I noticed that I don't really want to get close to groups of people at all. I like people, I like having them around and I do love to interact one on one with them...but dealing with many at once is uncomfortable in a lazy way (I avoid it but not out of fear.)...but lately...it has gotten worse...I yell at people, argue, get confrontational and unpleasant. I question more then I should, brood, over think..I snap back at them......and I regret it every time. I don't even know why I do it :(...

4. Addicted to some things, lucky for me none of it is drugs or anything of that nature, mostly mental -.- and mostly just addicted to thinking...which shouldn't be bad but when it leads to inaction...trust me its bad.

I think I'm depressed and unhappy....I miss my ex....she and I used to be so close and :( I can't keep contact with her for some reason...I forget for a week...then I miss her and worry about how much of a crappy friend I am. I also worry that my..well I can't call it asocial or antisocial whatever it is...because I like people....is going to leave me with no one to hold onto..if it hasn't already.

This has been going on for quite some time now...I can keep myself afloat..barely. As I said falling apart here. Which is sort of what has led me to the forums in the first place (I imagine many people come here for more serious reasons then just pure curiosity).

What instinct is going haywire in me that depression is causing all this?

o.o don't really need advice thou :p..I know what to do, suck it up, w8 for sickness to pass, clean the house, start exercising again and go back to martial arts (like I did in the past), already have some basic things lined out that have to learn and <.< well that is it oh and eat sleep regularly, take vitamins.

:\ problem is I start thinking again and get sidetracked...which ends up in me not doing any of it :S grrr.

\o/ damn I need to get my shit together!

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I'm sure my weaker 6 wing is sexual.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
I've decided on sx-first due to what people have suggested to me based on my life story, based on which defense mechanism I think I use (according to Naranjo), and observing a relative lack of the other two by comparison.

This description of sx-first does not describe me. I hate that macho man/slutty woman stuff that gets bandied about. The instincts were the deal-breaker the first time I thought I was a 6--NONE OF THAT STUFF IS WHAT I'M ALL ABOUT.

I couldn't figure it out, assumed I was something else. Now I'm back to square 1.

I think sx is most likely, but what comes next is beyond me. I relate to most descriptions of the sx/sp stacking (non-type specific), but how much I agree with soc-6 vs sp-6 depends largely on the description.

I don't really know what my stacking is. And you know what? I don't care. I am sx/something and darn it, that is good enough for me.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
The only social six on perc, fuck yeah :p
:O you MUST tell me what that is like and why do you think you are social?!

<.< the instincts are the most confusing things ever....

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
:O you MUST tell me what that is like and why do you think you are social?!

<.< the instincts are the most confusing things ever....
because ive slept 4 hours in 48, adn im stressed as hell rite now, here's me being a noob and just C&Ping the most accurate I found, from enneagram worldwide.

"Type 6: Duty
In the social domain, you assuage your fear through your loyal duty to a group or cause. You feel safe bonded together with others in a common cause where you understand the needs and assure the code of behavior. You align with people you trust through mutual obligations and sacrifice: “United we stand, divided we fall.” You find power and hence safety in the group’s authority. Knowing the rules and creating clear agreements with friends and colleagues are vital for overcoming your fear. As a Loyal Skeptic, your tendency to project negative power onto the world makes underdog causes particularly appealing. You align with the needy, the oppressed and the persecuted. You work for the cause. The call to duty mobilizes you rather not personal gain, which would expose you. But at your worst, you give away your own authority and power."

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
because ive slept 4 hours in 48, adn im stressed as hell rite now, here's me being a noob and just C&Ping the most accurate I found, from enneagram worldwide.

"Type 6: Duty
In the social domain, you assuage your fear through your loyal duty to a group or cause. You feel safe bonded together with others in a common cause where you understand the needs and assure the code of behavior. You align with people you trust through mutual obligations and sacrifice: “United we stand, divided we fall.” You find power and hence safety in the group’s authority. Knowing the rules and creating clear agreements with friends and colleagues are vital for overcoming your fear. As a Loyal Skeptic, your tendency to project negative power onto the world makes underdog causes particularly appealing. You align with the needy, the oppressed and the persecuted. You work for the cause. The call to duty mobilizes you rather not personal gain, which would expose you. But at your worst, you give away your own authority and power."
<.< ah fudge...the following is more (as in completely) true for me lol:

Duty my ass lol....

·
MOTM January 2013
10,631 Posts
See, I just don't relate to duty being an so second. I will just quickly state that it means im aware of social dynamics, not my partaking in them. I might post some more here later.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
I've decided on sx-first due to what people have suggested to me based on my life story, based on which defense mechanism I think I use (according to Naranjo), and observing a relative lack of the other two by comparison.

This description of sx-first does not describe me. I hate that macho man/slutty woman stuff that gets bandied about. The instincts were the deal-breaker the first time I thought I was a 6--NONE OF THAT STUFF IS WHAT I'M ALL ABOUT.

I couldn't figure it out, assumed I was something else. Now I'm back to square 1.

I think sx is most likely, but what comes next is beyond me. I relate to most descriptions of the sx/sp stacking (non-type specific), but how much I agree with soc-6 vs sp-6 depends largely on the description.

I don't really know what my stacking is. And you know what? I don't care. I am sx/something and darn it, that is good enough for me.
Really? How about metaphorical muscles then? And from experience that 'sluttiness' isn't strictly reserved for females or vice versa. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Really? How about metaphorical muscles then? And from experience that 'sluttiness' isn't strictly reserved for females or vice versa. :rolleyes:
That's the way they make it sound, though. Like the men are all body builders and the women seduce everyone to "prove" their desirability. I...ugh. FEEL THE WRATH OF MY 1-FIX, SX-6 DESCRIPTIONS.

Tbh, I seldom actively do things to improve my metaphorical muscles (not any major examples I can think of anyway). I recall being stubborn and willful all my life. Frankly, every hard or difficult thing that life throws at me seems to build those so-called muscles of its own accord--without my consent or approval. If anything, I probably need to learn to ease up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts