Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some INTJs once typed as ISTPs or INTPs, what was it that turned you towards being INTJs and switching type? This going for any type switch really not just IS/NTP to INTJ.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Type swapping occurs once someone has fully come to the realization of their true cognitive functions and function order and the way in which they truly function.

Ex. I was very unsure between INFJ and INTP but the reason for this is because I have a highly developed Fe due to being raised by an INFJ mother which taught me to remember to think about others as well. I then came to realize that I use Ne and not Ni and use Si and not Se. Therefore giving me to proper function order of Ti-Ne-Si-Fe. Hence being an INTP with good a Inferior. I do relate to this a lot more then INFJ now that I truly understand the functions. This is just my personal experience.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I typed first as an INTJ.

And then years later I took another test and got INTJ.

Then I self-typed and determined INTJ.

Recently I took a test and got ISTJ. So. I'm probably an ESFJ.

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
I've gotten mixed results with tests. Most of the time its INTJ, but sometimes I'll get ISTJ or INFP. I took a couple months last year to better my understanding of functions and how they work together through reading, observation and asking questions. Pretty comfortable with how things turned out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got random results too from several tests source. ISTJ, INTJ, INFJ, and once the result is ENTJ (which i think i'm not).
May be because at first i only considered about some certain social settings like in workplace or the stereotypes about certain types and not about the whole functions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I typed as INTJ the first time I took the test but I've also had ISTJ and my friend thought I would be INTP. I've started learning about functions so that should help me clarify it, all the best people seem to be INTJ though so I'm sticking with that for now.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
I'm sure some INTJs once typed as ISTPs or INTPs, what was it that turned you towards being INTJs and switching type? This going for any type switch really not just IS/NTP to INTJ.
if i'd known about mbti in my teens and early 20s and just been going with the anecdotal descriptions i might have diagnosed myself to be infp. i might have typed that way too, at that time. as it actually happened, i wasn't tested until i was 27 and i still hadn't ever heard of mbti. it came up intj, and every subsequent time i've been sucked into some kind of human-resources-y thing and they test me again i come up the same way.

the difference for me is that at age 21, 90% of life was just a theory to me, and the percentage of my own self that i really knew was probably higher than that. i had no idea what i really believed or what my real preferences were. all i had was 20-some years of other people telling me how i felt and what i thought and who i was, and very little empirical evidence of my own to push back at it with.

by 27 though, that ship had sunk. i'd been alive long enough that i knew the real answers by then.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It's pretty much always been INTJ for me, in tests and though study. Once long ago I tested INFJ, but that was just a glitch at a time in my life when I was attempting to be more nice and touchy feely. I got over it. Cognitive function tests sometimes say I'm an INTP, which is ridiculously wrong to anyone who knows me. I always get weird results with those tests, which adds to my suspicion that cognitive functions don't work the way we talk about them here.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I first typed as an INTJ, before I had even actually done any tests I'd just seen it and was researching I asked my closest two friends what they thought I was like before I did it (kind of a joke at the time) and they both said I'd get INTJ I didn't really have any opinion at the time and sure enough that was what I got.

When I first read the profile it was almost a eureka or epiphany moment where this is scarily accurate, it was kind of similar with my enneagram (8w7) but because of being that enneagram I kind of then rethought what I was and began to think I was an ENTJ but after a lot of re-analysing, I'd considered that I was an INFJ as well due to a well developed Fi (a previous person close to me said I was an ENFJ which that theory was also considered but logically discarded after awhile) until I ultimately came back to the same conclusion I started INTJ 8w7. When I talked to my friend after that he said 'yeah I was waiting until you finally arrived back at that conclusion I think you just wanted to be something you weren't for awhile' was along the lines of his comments. I guess because I can be emotional and even sensitive (from the few people I do care about), I had considered I was INFJ but evidently I do believe that just being emotional at times or the like doesn't actually have an effect on your cognitive functions or how you process information (according to the theories anyway in my opinion).

It's ultimately just an indicator or a label/four letters ultimately, but after a fair bit of researching and a lot of possibilities/theories I am convinced of my type after mistyping myself (for a fair while I was unsure and that bugged me it was pretty much where I couldn't quite put my finger on it). Every test I have done comes out INTJ (or borderline ENTJ, close introversion/extroversion but I think that's more just adaptability over time/my job and also the test questions are often very ambiguous). For me the answer lied in analysing the cognitive functions more.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Lel okay hear me out
First ISTJ then INFJ then INTJ and finally INFP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
The first time I took the test I got ISTJ, and I know why: I did it with not enough concentration during a pause from a work I was doing that required precision and attention to details.
Due to the working of the test (which is not fair towards S people anyway, and pushes many to choose the other option anyway, in my opinion) I chose all the "details vs. big picture" questions.
When I saw the results I thought it wasn't fitting and dismissed the whole thing.
Later I did it again with the right concentration and scored INTJ.
I took and I still take the mbti test regularly on the 16 personalities page and I can say that on the 70% of the times I score INTJ. The other 30% INFJ.
I took it on another page that gives 3 possible results and I got INTJ, with possible INTP, INFP, or ISTP or ISFJ, or INFJ.
I'm most certain that I'm not INTP, and I am really an intuitive, cause my sensing is really bad :)

I took the cognitive test on similarminds and here, too, the struggle seems to be between INTJ and the occasional INFJ, while on another page that gives 3 options I always get INTJ or INFP or INTP.

My functions order seems to be Ni, Fi, Ti, Te, Fe, Ne, Si, Se.
The last ones's order changes often. Sometimes Fe gets higher scores and I get INFJ as a result but you get the idea.

·
Banned
689 Posts
Once I learned more about Ni, it became clear to me that I was INTJ. That and after I let go of stereotypes. I once thought I was INTP, but learning that Ni is a perceiving function, as opposed to Ti which is a judging function, once again, it became clear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Type swapping - it's inevitable in the process of typing yourself via understanding the eight functions and how you use them in your life. Getting a proper understanding of the functions can itself take years.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I typed first as an INTJ.

And then years later I took another test and got INTJ.

Then I self-typed and determined INTJ.

Recently I took a test and got ISTJ. So. I'm probably an ESFJ.
Well played, sir. Well played. :laughing:

As for myself, I typed as ISTJ in the beginning. That was when I was like 15 though, so it's kinda suspect. It didn't take me too long to realize that I was squeezing it to make it fit me.

Occasionally, I consider the possibility that I am an INTP, but then I realize I'm just going by certain stereotypes. I've more or less come to certainty about INTJ over the years through process of elimination of any other type making sense.

Reactions: chanteuse

·
Administrator
23,706 Posts
I've typed as INTJ when doing the test at uni and being peer revieved. Then INTP through an online test and cognitive functions showed Te Ti Ni Ne Fi Se Fe Si (ENTJ?) but once I tested as INFP and even ESFP (thought the agree/disagree options were around the opposite direction). Each time I went to the respective forums (not ESFP) to lurk I came dashing back here to feel safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I usually type as INTJ. however if I take the test when I'm not my usual confident, determined, objective self, I type as INFP. Weird eh

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.