Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it difficult to watch certain shows and movies that are "sad" or very tense. Like if a loved one of the main character dies in a movie I end up hysterically crying.

Sometimes I very much enjoy watching sad shows and reading sad books, but too much of them in a row depresses me.

also find scary movies annoying >.> like the people in them act so stupid or completely opposite of how I would handle the situations and so I don't enjoy them.
For example: -_- why can't the characters just not open the door or lets not look in the closet or not play the freaky music (sometimes I like this music though just don't like the feeling it causes)...:rolleyes:

it's better for me to watch really funny shows even if it's stupid humor because it keeps me in a happy mood :tongue: makes me feel good through out the day.

anyone else feel the same? what genres do you like?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I love sad movies, because I love the emotional release.
I like funny movies too, but what everybody else finds funny, I don't really find funny, like if I watch one of the more mainstream comedies I often tend to just sit there sternly lol. You could just about hear the crickets. What I find funny is stuff more along the lines of "Lars and the Real Girl", stuff like that.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,471 Posts
I generally like anything that makes you think/feel - drama, fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural stuff. I like comedy too and absolutely loathe horror. I find it disturbing. I also am not a fan of action movies. I grew up watching them because my ENTJ dad was all into them. I never understood why. They are about as boring as it gets though some of them scared me as a child. I like action if it has a purpose. I also don't mind violence if it has a purpose but without one well, there is no point in watching them for me.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I like movies and television shows with beautiful visual details. I'm a very visual person. I also like fantasy a lot and animation. I do like some comedies -- often dark humor or things from the 1980's that remind me of my early childhood.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Simpsons
Futurama
Workaholics
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Scrubs
Afro Samurai
High School of the Dead <--(awesome anime btw)
Super Jail!
Adventure Time
Misadventures of Flapjack
Walking Dead
Intervention
Shows about health, drug addicts, psychology, the universe, documentaries.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I prefer scifi stuff. The topics discussed generally get a little deeper than in most shows. Even silly ol original Star Trek could discuss things like racism at the time it aired because it was scifi. And everything usually looks awesome in some way too. They often portray the "best of humanity" as well, which I like. I enjoy seeing a more upbeat potential that we could strive for. Not the war raging, self absorbed reality we have today.

I also have a soft spot for romantic comedies. In fact, if I'm going to watch a romance main plot driven movie, I prefer it to be a romantic comedy. It makes the characters and their relationship more endearing somehow.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Indie films and foreign films lol but only in doses (I have a feeling a lot of INFJs can also relate to this)
Occasionally deeply moving and introspective films also in doses.
Most of the time though, I tend to watch psychological thrillers and action.
I also am a fan of really well made horror films because of their societal implications (eg. The Shining)
One of my favorite directors is Stanley Kubrick--his perfectionism in depth of plot, cinematography, and visual symbolism, and the insane amount of details in all his films.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I actually really enjoy movies that are sad, because I don't know in a weird way I don't feel so alone, and can relate pretty well. My absolute favorite tv show is greys anatomy. My favorite movies are seven pounds with will smith (FREAKING AMAZING, but very sad). Other movies I love are Keith, Ever after, the notebook, breaking dawn part 2, avatar. LOTS OF other movies but im seriously drawing a blank. lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
I really enjoy sci-fi, fantasy, comedy, animation and movies rich in cultures other than my own. Content wise, I enjoy movies that make you think or run on high emotions other than the day to day ones. Most of my favorite movies have a lot of sci-fi & fantasy elements to them (i.e. Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, The Avengers). If it's a movie outside the typical day to day life realm (I dislike most action, political & plain romance movies) and done well, I'll probably enjoy it.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
War and adventure films usually. I've also been indulging in the Film Noir genre too. I like the old-fashioned vibe to them, since they stereotypically take place in the 30s-40s. Also there's a tinge of existential brooding to such stories too, as demonstrated in this famous example:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I enjoy rather emotional and thought provoking shows, like "Doctor Who" or "Supernatural", where the characters have good chemistry and the plot is thick. "Sherlock" is a personal favourite of mine because it has such good actors, and the main character is so misunderstood and broken. I also enjoy drama, like "Casualty", cooking shows, like "Come dine with me", soaps, like "Hollyoaks", and auctions, like "Storage Hunters". However, despite loving shows like "Glee" or "The Vampire Diaries", I can't keep myself interested in them for long enough.

As for movies, I enjoy romances, and probably thrillers, although Horrors, however exhilarating, may freak me a tad bit. I guess every INFJ is different cx

·
Registered
733 Posts
I like fantasy, scifi, thriller, drama, romance, musical, adventure, mystery.. Things that will take me to a new world, let me be invested in interesting characters, and make me think.

For TV shows, I like those genres as well. Definitely fantasy/scifi. Lost, Twilight Zone, Doctor Who, Twin Peaks, Once Upon A Time. I like "family" type shows as well that would probably be considered drama? Something like Boy Meets World, The Wonder Years, Parenthood, Gilmore Girls, Freaks & Geeks.

When it comes to TV Shows, I like ones that have a continued plot the best.. Like, I don't really get into shows that are about something new every episode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts