Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We get a lot of people talking about how unhealthy ISTJ's can become. If you had to setup steps toward health for typical weaknesses of the ISTJ what would they be? Earlier I said this regarding feelings:
As an ISTJ I believe the path to becoming more normal and well rounded is to:
a) accept my feelings as real, natural, and authentic.
b) understand others feelings and work to fulfill others.
c) show mine to become more normal

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Changed the wording of the initial post in order to make my responses less likely to be condescending and higher in quantity, considering no one has or was going to reply for its initial wording.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Being an ISTJ is not unhealthy. Exhibiting unhealthy behaviors is unhealthy.

*Nothing wrong with being an introvert, but there is a problem when you embrace your introversion to exclude people from your life.

*Nothing wrong with being logical, but much is wrong when that logic is so unyielding as to not include the feelings of others.

*Nothing wrong with having a set of values to which you adhere, but there is much wrong when you impose those values on others.

*Nothing wrong with assessing a situation and deciding on a course of action, but there is nothing to be gained by being so inflexible that you cannot consider another answer to the problem.

...and you get the idea. For every behavior, there is an unhealthy level to which you can take it.

If you wish to be healthy:

*Seek to understand your motivations--be brutally honest with yourself.

*Seek moderation in all things; particularly your indulgences.

*Seek balance in all areas of your life.

If you consistently do these things, you will become healthy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've identified the general thought process that I follow when I embark on a self-improvement mission. Apologies if it's somewhat disorganised.

1. Identify/re-assess priorities, and get an understanding of what is important to me (personal values, not necessarily socio-cultural values). Take one step at a time, don't try to reform all at once. Acknowledge that the first step is the hardest, and over time the new healthy behaviour will become habitual.

2. Identify weaknesses, the personal characteristics or habits that may keep me from achieving my goals and aspirations. Do not make excuses for the weakness, but try to understand it, how it developed, how it manifests, and subsequently how to recognise it and change the behaviour as it occurs. Make myself accountable.

3. Aim for balance. Don't force myself to be somebody that I'm not, but don't let who I am adversely affect my quality of life.

Sometimes it helps if you set criteria or challenges to evaluate yourself by. For example, I've been working on interacting with strangers. Recently, I was researching a career path and reached a dead end. I decided to get an expert opinion, so I looked up a business in that industry. Instead of firing off an email, I went to their offices. I stopped inside the building less than a metre from their open door(!) and nearly gave up, but forged ahead and got the information that I needed. Because I acknowledged beforehand that it would be difficult, but I needed to do it for myself, I was prepared to combat the anxiety of leaving my comfort zone. That, and I didn't want the long walk to be in vain :wink:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
We get a lot of people talking about how unhealthy ISTJ's can become. If you had to setup steps toward health for typical weaknesses of the ISTJ what would they be?
1. Admitting the possibility that one can always be wrong - and that it's not a cause for shame.

2. Other people's feelings should be respected.

3. It's okay to cut oneself some slack.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I need to become more healthy..
I dont even know what has made me an unheathy type????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts