Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have researched the topic for a while, and I cannot seem to come to a closure myself. I became aware of MBTI about 9 years ago. My first test scored INTP, from there I have scored INTJ and until recently believed that to be my best fit. I took a test at work that scored me as an INFJ.

When I read the descriptions the INFJ seems a bit too "feely" to fit me, and the INTJ a bit to rigid. When I look at the weaknesses for the two types, I can relate a lot more to the INFJ, than the INTJ.

I am a 29 year old male and have a master degree in computer engineering specializd in embedded systems. I work for an engineering company as a consultant, and am very good at it. Though the interaction with customers can become a bit much at times.

Through google I became aware of this page and have tried my best to answer the form found in the stickies.

Form:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Re-testing, always testing INTJ/INFJ or INTP. When I read the descriptions (I have read a lot) they do not really seem to fit. Recently I read one in my native language where the weaknesses of INFJ seemed to fit me very well.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
A calm and peaceful life with a person that I deeply love. A harmonious family. A meaningful job would be nice too, but importance would be put on those I hold dearly. Since I believe this is the way I will be most happy.
I would love to find out what I really excel at and optimize that field to the limits of my personality. It is a requirement that this could bring me food on the table and shelther.
I would like to save the world, but it is beyond saving to tell the hard truth. The only chance we have is if some great disaster caused by human kind it self opens our eyes. However something needs to go awfully wrong on a global scale.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
The creative process of writing music is one of my strong sides. I think this is one of my greatest talents. Once I wrote a piece of music in 27/8, and yet there was a flow and groove. People who are not into music did not really notice that it was not 4/4 (which is so incredibly dull). I like creating new ideas for songs, but I quickly loose interest, and do not follow through once a “flow of inspiration” ends. It felt good because I was able to generate a piece of music that would likely appeal to a broader array of people I think. In general I find it hard to explain exaclty what I feel, so I may be wrong.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Being insufficient, Not living up to my own standards, not being organized enough, having too many things that needs fixing, and yet being lazy about them as I desperately need recharge my batteries by being alone in my sanctuary.
I hate that I can see I have a lot of potential in my personality, but I always seem to be almost there. I constantly seek that elusive missing piece that will bring total clarity (and its not religion).

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I base my decisions based on the consequences I can foresee. If people are involved they will get attention based on how closely we are related, and how critical the outcome will be for them on a long term basis. Luckily I have not been set in many situations where I should decide a critical fate for people.
I broke up with my last GF, and this decision was purely egocentric, as she destroyed me as a person (I am a very giving person), she constantly claimed more and more of my private space (she was by no means an evil person, and did not do this on purpose), yet I still had a very hard time ending the relationship as I knew she was very hurt by it. It helped me to be able to foresee that she would be happier without me in the long run. I was right too.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Yes absolutely if it’s something I care about. Otherwise I just tend to do my part and then that’s that. I suck at doing things I do not care about though.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I rarely have a lot of fun. I am content most of the time though. I generally have fun playing cooperative computer games with my friends. I have a lot of fun with my younger brother (whom I would type as an ENTJ) and my family. Alone I do not have a lot of fun, but I am happy being alone. Love it.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Theorise first, hands on to back it up and fine tune the theory.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Not very organized or structured. More like chaotic. At work I am known as “the most structured person in our group”. I work in a group of 12 consultants, all with engineering backgrounds, so a lot of NT types. They are impressed at my structured way of working. However I do not find that I work in a structured way.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
This one is a bit muddy. I always try to find several sources of information and correlate it where it is possible. If the principles are easily understood without further investigation, I generally trust my intuition that it is correct.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I am not sure at all what to answer. I am tempted to say number two, but I may sub-consciously do the first. I tend to avoid belonging to a group as other people strongly drains my energy.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Think before speaking without a doubt. I prefer one on one conversation.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I like know where I am jumping. Actions speak louder than words.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favourite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Depends on my levels of energy and when I will be able to “see my favourite show” next. More often than not I will stay and watch my “favourite show”.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I get stressed when having too much on my plate to think about at once that are important and cannot be settled quickly. The many tangents I see overwhelms me and the result is apathy and a sense of being insufficient and inferior because I cannot handle it. I loose my grasp on the bigger picture and feel lost.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I have invented my own motto “Do as you like, unless you hurt others”. Naturally I dislike people that are cruel and hurt others; I strongly feel an urge to bring justice upon them (without being noticed ofcourse). I also dislike people who are dominating or abusive.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Music, art, psychology, ideas, computer games, big picture stuff, the future, technology, theories about exercise and diet, movies, animals, deep conversations. I dislike small talk.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
Wow, what a question. The physical world does that count? If that is too broad, then details. My own needs and desires are also quite long down the list. Other people could also be valid.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
I think they see me as a warm humorous and very intelligent rational person. One of my friends has said “you will do great things some day with that intellect”. Confident, resilient and stubborn are also traits I have been labelled with. I have been complemented for my willpower, patience and discipline.
While many of above traits are true, I would say the wrong part is confident. I am confident, but I am way too aware of my own feelings to come across as confident towards people whom I do not know well. I do not believe I will do “great things” in the sense he was referring to (don’t know why I know this) as my personal criteria for success is vastly different from most other people.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Researching my current interest, playing computer games alone (a lot of my greatest ideas and solutions pop up right after such a session), listening to music, wonder about different aspects of life, seeing close friends or family, I workout to keep myself in shape and good health (I love my life), and I also enjoy working out.

That was it, I hope some of you may be able to help me come to a confident decision.

Thanks for any feedback

1 - 2 of 2 Posts