Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is something rather controversial within the MBTI community, mostly because it has no direct connection to cognition.

Well, I'm basically insane and people think I have very little credibility on here anyway, so I thought I'd propose a crazy explanation as to why that is.

I don't think personality is as set as we think it is. We don't really know how one develops the cognitive framework that they take into life. All we do know:

- It has been seen to be related to genetics; i.e. some sort of cognitive inheritance
- It is relatively unclear until the late teens
- It is relatively stable after late teens, growing stronger and more clear as one ages
- It is relatively unchangeable; only through drama or mental disabilities does it really severely change

My proposal: there is some objective standard; a collection of objective physical characteristics that have a given association localized to a certain culture. These objective standards are imposed upon the individual. At a subtle, subconscious level, the associations these physical traits hold on personality to the collective society are imposed and forced onto the individual.

For instance, we have an association with "doe eyes" with a certain innocence; this imposed on the individual by the collective society. For instance, I'm a short person with big eyes--I believe the way I look has an influence on what people think of me and the subsequent conclusions they make of me.

So in essence what I'm saying: how people look influence's, to some level, how people treat me. That, subsequently, influences my developmental cognition.

Thoughts?

PS: Part of the reason why introverts tend to be better-looking than extraverts.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
This makes me question everything.

I identify as an INTP because I acted like one in preschool. Once I got into actual school, I was distanced from wanting to learn because of how strict everything was and I started to feel lonely and desperate for attention, so I began to act more stereotypically like an ENFP, although I definitely still have the functions of an NTP/SFJ.

I was probably initially supposed to be an INTP, but like you said, drama and mental disabilities have definitely changed me. I have severe Aspergers, which is genetic (IDK if personality types are genetic). My dad (an INTJ) had mild Aspergers and his dad (an ISTP) had very severe Aspergers. It wasn't until I was in 5th grade that my Si developed and I realized that everybody had been making fun of me and I've been severely depressed ever since then. In middle school, I went to a school for students with special needs, and literally everybody there harassed me just to watch me react. So at this point, I'm very paranoid and mentally traumatized and I don't trust anybody.

I don't think personality types are genetic. My dad was an INTJ and my mom's an ISFJ, and I really can't stand how closed-minded either of them (and Js in general) are.

And yeah, I have the "doe eyes", so people who see me on Omegle usually type me as an INFP.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Appearance effects treatment, treatment alters self-image, self-image influences behavior ... and thus the development of cognitive processes? Focused more on young people perhaps? What room does that leave for the role genetics plays?

You lost me at the postscript. I don't see any evidence for that, but assuming its true I still don't see the why of it.

Reactions: selena87

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Ok so I definitely agree with you that appearance affects how people treat you, which in turn affects your psyche, and in turn affects your behavior.

But, I don't really see what that has to do with your MBTi type.... I would kind of disagree that your personality is unclear until late teens. Obviously you go through a lot of changes as you grow, but the way you said it, it kind of sounds like your personality literally is shifting around.... I think as you grow you surely manifest different aspects of your type, but I dont think your type really changes. I know I was an INFJ when I was 4, just as much as now......

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
whoa whoa whoa, I think we are all missing the biggest point.

Since when are introverts better looking than extroverts?
It's a mostly anecdotal finding, but my rationality for that is that extraverts have had to adapt to make themselves more attractive. Everybody has a certain baseline of interaction with people; introverts don't need to make themselves attractive as they already are, extraverts must make themselves attractive to in order to meet their "people quota".

Premises:
1. Attractive people are more desirable.
2. All individuals need to interact with people.
3. Introverted people have people to talk to; they don't need to engage outwardly.
4. Extraverted people don't have people to talk to as much; they need to engage outwardly.

Tangent: Isn't there that mild understanding that larger women tend to have "more personality"? Compared to the bias that "skinny bitches" don't really have much personality.

Tangent 2: IxFJ's have always looked attractive.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
I have a feeling behaviour=type for you
A natural introvert can act extroverted all he wants,he'll still have Ji-Pe-Pi-Je or Pi-Je-Ji-Pe making him introverted,same goes for an extrovert who just sits there,expecting people to come to him because he's so cute.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have a feeling behaviour=type for you
a natural introvert can act extroverted all he wants,he'll still have ji-pe-pi-je or pi-je-ji-pe making him introverted,same goes for an extrovert who just sits there,expecting people to come to him because he's so cute.
lol. Im definitely the latter.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It's a mostly anecdotal finding, but my rationality for that is that extraverts have had to adapt to make themselves more attractive. Everybody has a certain baseline of interaction with people; introverts don't need to make themselves attractive as they already are, extraverts must make themselves attractive to in order to meet their "people quota".

Premises:
1. Attractive people are more desirable.
2. All individuals need to interact with people.
3. Introverted people have people to talk to; they don't need to engage outwardly.
4. Extraverted people don't have people to talk to as much; they need to engage outwardly.

Tangent: Isn't there that mild understanding that larger women tend to have "more personality"? Compared to the bias that "skinny bitches" don't really have much personality.

Tangent 2: IxFJ's have always looked attractive.
That is quite the anecdotal evidence you are throwing in there to rebuff my joke ;)

I think that personality is a lot more than just 'I'm attractive so I can be quiet' or 'I'm unattractive so I"ll make up for it in personality'. If anything, your argument would feed Fe vs Fi more: Fe users will be more people pleasing, more outwardly warm and kind, and Fi users will be more self contained, thus, more attractive people will develop to be Fi users since they 'don't need the attention' of being as welcoming.

Reactions: Raawx

·
Registered
788 Posts
This is an interesting idea, but I don't think that introversion and extraversion are necessarily developed throughout life. Aren't they just how you gain energy?
When conversing recently with a family member about mbti, they noted that when I was younger I showed obvious signs of introversion.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is quite the anecdotal evidence you are throwing in there to rebuff my joke ;)

I think that personality is a lot more than just 'I'm attractive so I can be quiet' or 'I'm unattractive so I"ll make up for it in personality'. If anything, your argument would feed Fe vs Fi more: Fe users will be more people pleasing, more outwardly warm and kind, and Fi users will be more self contained, thus, more attractive people will develop to be Fi users since they 'don't need the attention' of being as welcoming.
Hehe, I know. It'd just been asked a few times before, so I thought I'd answer. :p

That hypothesis makes a decent amount of sense. Only problem: I've noticed that IxTPs and IxFJs tend to be some of the more attractive introverts. IxTPs fall into the category of "nerdy/bad at caring for myself/naturally cute" and IxFJs fall into the category of "stereotypically desirable".

I'm aware it sounds mostly like nonsense, but I really do feel there is a validity there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts