Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of us like to apply our Myer-Briggs knowledge to created characters, but I was surprised to see that there aren't yet many threads for it. Throw out some pop culture observations you've made, see if anyone else has insights.

A few (debatable) conclusions I've come to:

Peter Burke (White Collar) - ISTJ
The Doctor (Doctor Who) - ENTP
Sheldon (The Big Bang Theory) - INTJ
Neal Caffrey (White Collar) - ENFP (Possibly INFP?)
Phineas (Phineas and Ferb) - ENFJ

And one of the more interesting ones (partially because I won't be the only person who actually watches this one, lol): House - INTJ

Other characters you have classified? Opinions or objections on my classifications?

Reactions: DragonflyBlue

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I watch Weeds. I've been trying to type Shane...I'm pretty sure he's an IxTP. Well, now that I think about it, ExTP may be more likely. I see that a lot of people on another thread were typing him as an NFP, but I really do not see that...

I'm curious, though. Why do you think that House is an INTJ? He doesn't really strike me as an INTJ. I would think he's a definite xxTP.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I watch Weeds. I've been trying to type Shane...I'm pretty sure he's an IxTP.

I'm curious, though. Why do you think that House is an INTJ? He doesn't really strike me as an INTJ. I would think he's a definite xxTP.
On a letter-by-letter level, I think it's safe to say he's introverted. Despite a constant tug-and-pull between House and Wilson about how much he needs contact with other humans, even the little way House seeks human contact aren't enough to suggest extroversion. He does in fact, genuinely dislike people.

Intuitiveness versus Sensing is a *hard* one in my opinion. Obviously, he prefers to adhere to the concrete in diagnostics and philosophy, but his remarkably accurate quips at his coworkers and inferences as to their motives made me settle on N.

I don't think T needs much explaining.

And P versus J was tricky too, but I settled for J because at his core, I think he's quite a creature of habit. There are a number of episodes in which minor changes lead him to initiate an all-out war to return things to "Normal." (The episode where they replaced the carpet in his office, for instance).

On the grander scale also, I'm satisfied with INTJ. The type is often described as the "scientist." Typelogic.com has this phrase, which reminds me strongly of House: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake."

INTJ also makes House's first Ni followed by Te. I think that definitely describes how we see him on the show.

And yet, despite all that thought, I still think I could potentially be convinced otherwise lol. Perhaps because whatever type he is, House will be an extreme example.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Actually, I think that House is a pretty obvious Ne-user and I think he may be an ENTP.
I realize that he's definitely an N, but his intuition is external, not internal. The way he figures things out and the way he plays with people and situations rather than coming right out with certain suspicions is not very INTJ-ish. The way he may be discussing a patient or hearing others discuss a patient and he suddenly finds the answer makes me think he's Ne-dom.
I could say more, but I'm lazy. But I'm pretty confident that Dr. House is an ENTP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts