Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I'm more emotional and idealistic than most ENTPs. I suffer from severe depression, I should add.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Happyness. Accomplishment. Contribute to society.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I was in a relationship that energized me and allowed me to feel good about myself, and therefore be socially extravagant (not in the presence of my S.O.), charm people all around and impress them with my intellect and/or verbal skills.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

To be intellectually one upped. Don't recall the last time it did happen though.
I'm not nitpicky about details and I usually don't mind being overwhelmed with facts, but being wrong about a subject is both not common and not taken easily. Completely open minded and seek being wrong to improve myself though.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

All of those factors count, I think of the individual and collective pro-con long term. Collective first.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

My emphasis is on efficiency. I don't mind having control over the outcome, I do however mind it being as efficient as possible, which means that I will fight tooth and nail for what I believe is right unless proven wrong.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I recently went para gliding. I remember going down in spirals, in a high risk maneuver and my instructor advising me not to look down, as people usually get afraid, and told him thats what I wanted and felt awesome / buzzed with the pressure.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I'm highly theoretical and I enjoy the practicality of it. I have a great memory for things I deem important and tend to discard everything else.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Not very. I generally remember where things are though, and the apparent chaos is very productive.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I'm very open minded about it. Both. Guilty of using deductive reasoning and trying to use more of inductive reasoning.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

A mix of both, I used to try to get two groups to interact with each other and maintained my own identity adjusting more or less to the group I was. Just over efficiency, my identity is of extreme importance to me. Even though i'm not 100% sure of what it is.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Speak before thinking. I prefer quality discussions, whether than be one on one or group. Romantically, I enjoy the privacy of one on one conversations much more.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

A mix of both. I sometimes jump into action without thinking and quite often think before acting. I have a tendency to self sabotage, I think I unconsciously think of the consequences in a split second and then do the worst possible thing and act in denial right afterwards. No, same weight in my opinion.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Go. Or invite them to see it. Or ask them to wait an hour.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

Try to entertain myself.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Being too close minded and attentive to tradition, without giving room for new ideas.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Politics.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

My own feelings I guess. I'm working on it.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

Crazy, Loyal, Unpredictable, Intelligent. I'm not crazy. I don't know what they would never say about me. That I follow through with my obligations?

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Something new.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
I don't see anything here that doesn't fit with Ne-Ti. Your perceptions seem present, with an eye to potential (Ne) and your thinking comes across as systemic (Ti) to me. You sound too socially adaptable to be Ti-dom, and while some of what you describe seems stereotypically Se, you don't come across as grounded enough in your post for that. Being emotional doesn't mean you can't be an ENTP or any other thinking type.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see anything here that doesn't fit with Ne-Ti. Your perceptions seem present, with an eye to potential (Ne) and your thinking comes across as systemic (Ti) to me. You sound too socially adaptable to be Ti-dom, and while some of what you describe seems stereotypically Se, you don't come across as grounded enough in your post for that. Being emotional doesn't mean you can't be an ENTP or any other thinking type.
I spend a lot of time in system analysis but i'm not sure if its systematized enough for ti. I mostly act on inspiration, not being calculating. Maybe I'm an ENTP on a Ne-Fe tertiary loop?

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I actually am not sure you're an ENTP. I'd probably vote ENFP or maybe even ESTJ over ENTP (same functions as ENFP but different order). Your emphasis on efficiency is what gets me here. I mean if you are absolutely confident in being a Thinking type I'd probably suggest that you are a very Ne-ish ESTJ (again looking at your signature Advocate•Realist•Professional - these aren't typical Ne-dom sentiments). I also, for whatever reason, place you as someone who seems too grounded to be an Intuitive. Intuitives, especially Ne-doms you sometimes have to tie a rope to, or they'll float off into some crazy whatever (I know ENFPs who at their worst might be a Scientologist one day and numerologist the next, and then a Jungian and so on -- you strike me as more grounded than that). The brevity of your post is also somewhat suspect for a Ne-dom too, again I get the sense that efficiency takes precedent over novelty. Just some food for thought.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually am not sure you're an ENTP. I'd probably vote ENFP or maybe even ESTJ over ENTP (same functions as ENFP but different order). Your emphasis on efficiency is what gets me here. I mean if you are absolutely confident in being a Thinking type I'd probably suggest that you are a very Ne-ish ESTJ (again looking at your signature Advocate•Realist•Professional - these aren't typical Ne-dom sentiments). I also, for whatever reason, place you as someone who seems too grounded to be an Intuitive. Intuitives, especially Ne-doms you sometimes have to tie a rope to, or they'll float off into some crazy whatever (I know ENFPs who at their worst might be a Scientologist one day and numerologist the next, and then a Jungian and so on -- you strike me as more grounded than that). The brevity of your post is also somewhat suspect for a Ne-dom too, again I get the sense that efficiency takes precedent over novelty. Just some food for thought.
I'm definitely the kind that you have to tie a rope to or theyll float into some crazy whatever. I wanted to be a scientist before high school, a diplomat and then a lawyer in high school, I started a law course, then changed to computer science, then went back to law, changed countries because of a girl and decided to be an english teacher, then medicine, then back to law and now I have a completely different plan. My long term goal hasn't changed much, but still. I'm the most extreme person on that direction i've ever met. Signature is due to my attempt to type my enneagram, Advocate realist professional being the name of the tritype, which has changed a few times. Do you think i'm a Fi or a Fe user, and Ti or Te?

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I wanted to share this post. It seems relevant here:

I used to be the best basketball player in my school team. I trained four times as much as everyone else. I got the best grades, because I worked harder to understand the subject at hand, but without giving in to competitiveness which was frowned upon. A lot of extracurricular activities simply because keeping myself busy made me feel better about myself, and closer to the ideal of perfection. I'm constantly wishing to develop new sets of skills. When I was a kid people, specially my sister, considered me anally retentive and Mr. Perfect. I always considered myself to have the harshest internal critic amongst my acquaintances, I work hard to fulfill my idea of perfection, which is quite unconventional. I'm more of an angry person than a fearful person, although I reckon I have a problem with anxiety. I prefer to improve people and to have a freedom to come and go than to forge longtime alliances. I believe I should be able to fend for myself rather than seek help. I have a problem with seeking and accepting help. I frequently self punish. I can go on and on. But I do believe im a 6w5 head fix. And that I certainly look for security in relationships.
@LiquidLight and @Stephen might have something to add.

OP, are you saying that you didn't give into competitiveness because it was frowned upon socially?

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
I wanted to share this post. It seems relevant here:

the harshest internal critic amongst my acquaintances, I work hard to fulfill my idea of perfection, which is quite unconventional. I'm more of an angry person than a fearful person, although I reckon I have a problem with anxiety.
He's an enneagram type one.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
He's an enneagram type one.
Oh, I know that. I helped him on his Enneagram thread. I was wondering if the perfectionism (and other stuff) had any bearing on his MBTI type. I was curious if that post was reflecting Fe/Fi. He seems like an ENTP, to me. But, this is an intuitive conclusion. I'd have trouble explaining my reasoning. The part about avoiding competitiveness because it was frowned upon socially and within the family is interesting (seems Fe-ish). It may be that OP has internalized these values.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Oh, I know that. I helped him on his Enneagram thread. I was wondering if the perfectionism (and other stuff) had any bearing on his MBTI type. I was curious if that post was reflecting Fe/Fi. He seems like an ENTP, to me. But, this is an intuitive conclusion. I'd have trouble explaining my reasoning. The part about avoiding competitiveness because it was frowned upon socially and within the family is interesting (seems Fe-ish). It may be that OP has internalized these values.
Sorry, I didn't look at the enneagram thread. :tongue: All I got from it was the enneagram type. It's hard for me to pin down perfectionism to anything in terms of functions... my ISFP gf and I are both pretty perfectionistic in our areas of interest. I've known at least one perfectionistic INFJ. Hmm.

I'll think about it some more.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm sensing Fi (personal identity) and Ne (possibilities), at the same time you seem extroverted and adventure bound. There were a lot of comments that implied Thinking over Feeling, there were many times I felt Te was sacrificing or rejecting Fi (want or need to be seen as successful and competent over personal identity and expression).

How do you feel about the Si function?

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sensing Fi (personal identity) and Ne (possibilities), at the same time you seem extroverted and adventure bound. There were a lot of comments that implied Thinking over Feeling, there were many times I felt Te was sacrificing or rejecting Fi (want or need to be seen as successful and competent over personal identity and expression).

How do you feel about the Si function?
Si is definetely a lower function.
I think I may be an ENTP who has internalized a lot of Fe values and uses Fe negatively (as a form of damaging myself) over my emotional state. Or an ENFP who from a very early age prods people for reactions and values analytical thinking a lot.
My sense of personal identity is constantly changing, which leads me to think of internalized Fe. I have a strong ethical code which I get from throwing ideas around other people.
I think in a healthy state my big 5 is more akin to the enfp correlate, and my way of thinking is ENTPish. If that makes any sense.

I'm very creative and saw all the possibilities that my actions could generate, I just chose to do what I did perhaps even betting on self damage. I've read of ENTPs placing themselves in difficult situations so they could "fix" it, may be just that maximized, except I didn't have the strength to fix it at all due to depression.

Main reason I explored the possibility of being an ENFP is that there is a lot of bias stating that NTs are calculating and perhaps unconcerned with ethics? That and the fact that most entps just don't care about other people, feelings and values as much as I do. Its probably related to my upbringing, that had parents with strong values and a school with an emphasis on humanistic morals. I consciously value not having second intentions over people and just act how I feel like around them. I want to be an ethical person and give back to the world in a novel way, through ingenuity. I suppose thats my main motivation in life, and being ethical is an inherent part of that, so that could explain why I break the mold of sorts. That and depression.
My constant switching around between one plan and another had tangible reasons for it, or so I thought, which leads me to think of ti... Weakly used, but still ti.
I'm very much into arts and non tangible forms of expression, I have an eclectic taste and I try to look at everything from every possible angle. I have an interest in both mainstream and counterculture, which was sort of a weird phenomena back in high school. I used to act like a mainstream guy amongst the counterculture groups and like a counterculture guy amongst the mainstream groups, both to prod people for reactions and to maintain a sense of identity and to express that thinking less of people over their apparent differences was something I thought wrong.

I think i'm a collective morality / group systems engineer, if that makes any sense, a NT with a strong humanistic interest and incorporating values and knowledge to his behavior?

I got a lot of Se vibes from your post.

I'm thinking ESTP at the moment. I'll get back with more details later.
I do think I have a well developed Se. But it was an acquired skill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts