Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:cool:Hey, INTPs, ENTP here. Lets get to the point.

I have a friend who I've known a few years, and after many try's with the MBTI test with results varying across the introvert board, this friend has decided that they are either an INTP or just "untypeable". We can all agree here that a four letter code certainly does not solely define the matter of a person, but it indisputably a base layer in the many layered onion of anybody's personality.

I have asked the subject in question to describe themself and (surprisingly) they have complied. Here is the list of attributes and personality characteristics I have observed/taken note of:

Atheist. Hates change and conflict with a passion, yet constantly complains about she wants to be this or do that with her life. Is not interested in the slightest with sports as I am, or anything extracurricular save for playing the piano, which she enjoys. Views verbally sparring (as we ENTPs are accustomed to enjoy) as unpleasant and attempts to steer clear of most possible engagement of a debate. Average intellect, smarter than a large amount of teenagers, holds contempt for others as I do based on their poor judgment and character, but at the same time secretly pines to be one of the "masses" to gain acceptance, social stability, and feel valued. This is not to say they are a utter loser/loner, they just sort of fly under the radar. However, they are very introverted and feel uncomfortable at the center of attention. She values attractiveness and other superficial things and desires to achieve them, although she does have a functioning brain which aids to my confusion. Insecurity may as well be her middle name. Isn't a quick or cynical know it all as you lot tend to be, nor as spontaneous as us (although she is more than happy to go along with any of my crazy schemes). Guarded, but will open up with those she trusts. Good listener, and sensitive to some things. Not to bad of a friend, though with us ENTPs I sometimes tend to view people as toys and can get bored easily,

·
Registered
426 Posts
What is she good at?

How does she organize her room/stuff?

If given a writing assignment, how does she go about doing it?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is she good at?

How does she organize her room/stuff?

If given a writing assignment, how does she go about doing it?
I've read a few of her essays in class, and while they aren't the dullest, they certainly aren't, well, mine.

A few good things I may not have mentioned is that I feel as though I can relay on her loyalty and while sensitivity can become an issue at times for me to deal with, I believe that is mainly due to the fact that I can be a narcissistic asshole with too much contempt for the world than I can handle sometimes. And for some reason, I always find myself telling more than I plan to her, and then have a mini panic attack in knowing that somebody else is aware of my feelings. She is definitely NOT an emotional train wreck (she possesses adequate rationality) like some others, but she's no Vulcan either.

·
Registered
426 Posts
She sounds like an infj <- my first thought.

HOW does she write? What is her process? Does she need a good amount of time? How does she organize/prepare it?

·
Banned
560 Posts
My gut says INFJ as well. Seeks emotional connection with others. Guarded, but very open with those she trusts. Appears extroverted around a close-knit group of friends.

I shall be returning to this thread once more details are posted.

Reactions: Mercutio

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She sounds like an infj <- my first thought.

HOW does she write? What is her process? Does she need a good amount of time? How does she organize/prepare it?
Needs a fair amount of time to think of ideas, they don't come as naturally. How? If for an essay, it seems pretty standard, probably a B grading wise. Solid ideas, but usually just picking up the obvious like most of the class, not digging too deep. Voice and style are a bit lacking. Organizes using the provided prewriting templates (charts, rough draft)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My gut says INFJ as well. Seeks emotional connection with others. Guarded, but very open with those she trusts. Appears extroverted around a close-knit group of friends.

I shall be returning to this thread once more details are posted.
You may return. Upon which details have I turned a blind eye to? Enlighten me.

·
Banned
560 Posts
You may return. Upon which details have I turned a blind eye to? Enlighten me.
None that I know of at the moment. But if something comes up to change my gut feeling, I would respond to it. I'm new to this typing-others deal.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm just curious for my own benefit; how do these factors play in determining her friend's type?
Different types have decidedly different writing habits. ENTPs and ENFPs both tend to be able to write large amounts of text on a moment's notice. INFPs and INTPs tend to be slow starters to writing something, unless they've over-thought the topic; once they get going, it tends to organize out rapidly. There is a tendency for these Ne types to "block" their writing, especially when it's expository, each paragraph being a little world of thought on its own. Once they've written something they tend to feel done.

Very different from the Ni types. They are prone to being VERY particular about how it is structured and organized, and once their work is written they tend to go through it and "fix it", sometimes endlessly. INFJs (from what I've seen) worry about every little thing being perfect/never satisfied, INTJs put in soooo much research. Kind of. It's hard to generalize.

Also, Ne types are less likely to care if you read what they've written before they're done; Ni types need to show you the "end product".

It is also interesting to study how Fi/Ti writing styles differ. I know less about that, and my above information is most probably flawed. But there is something to different ways of writing within types.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts