Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Descriptions of introverts on the internet, even from introverts, seem to be lacking. The information is fantastically generic. Not much depth. Very repetitive.

I'm probably expecting a lot out of the internet :mellow: but, hey...

At least this place exists...

Any good place to go dig into introversion? Or a really good book?

Oh look kitty! :kitteh:

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Do you feel introverted people would want to write about themselves?

I know I wouldn't.... let alone write about a topic about introversion based on people en masse.

Bacon.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I find it annoying how introverts are being looked down upon by extraverts like there is something wrong with them. And then the latter get surprised because they don't expect that level of knowledge/intelligence/talent/maturity etc.

Frustrating how hard it is to live in this world being an introvert and an intuitive one on top of that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Descriptions of introverts on the internet, even from introverts, seem to be lacking. The information is fantastically generic. Not much depth. Very repetitive.

I'm probably expecting a lot out of the internet :mellow: but, hey...

At least this place exists...

Any good place to go dig into introversion? Or a really good book?

Oh look kitty! :kitteh:
Typing anything into google

Descriptions of everything on the internet, even from popular websites, seem to be lacking. The information is fantastically generic. Not much depth. Very repetitive.

:p sorry to be a smartass but I couldn't help myself. You have to do some serious searching on the internet to find good reliable information on anything really. I'd be amazed if introverts were an exception.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
In order to get a really good description of Introversion I think you'd have to either, read a book on it, talk to an introvert, or be an introvert. The internet is full of lots of good info, but unfortunately it doesn't really go "in depth" with too many things.

All dressed chips and ramen(we're saying what we're eating at the moment, right?).

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Sometimes, you have to go hunting. Set out from your websearch and start looking for keywords or synonyms you can use, then type those in. Go to a bunch of different articles and see who wrote what, track others things those people have written and see if they're reputable. Try characteristics of introversion and search for those too. Then add up everything yuo find and you'll probably have more information than you think.

To be honest though, I don't think there's a good, set definition for introvert other than 'loses energy around people', and even that's not quite right. It should be 'loses energy around people they aren't very comfortable with' or something like that. Introversion is often confused with shyness also, so you'll have to delete things about shyness from your findings, because it's not the same.

I don't think you can apply a set definition aside from the one above to introverts because there are so many types of introvert - even in the MBTI theory, they have 8 varieties. Think of all the other personality theories out there, plus scientific studies into introversion, people's observations etc. and you've got a lot of data.

I guess you just really, really have to want to find a definition...

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I think it's because 'introversion' is more typically just a standard social definition of anyone who is quiet. Which is totally wrong in the case of the MBTI theory. A psychological introvert might be quite confident and capable, it just happens to be that most of their thought processes are based on their inner world rather than their outer world.

So what do you mean by 'introvert'? The psychological definition or the social definition?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Pretty much introvert and shy are interchangeable on most google results. Much like asocial and antisocial, few actually know the difference.

Introverts are seen as pussies while extroverts are the winners. We know this is not the case. Look at brock lesner, stone cold, denzel Washington, michael Jordan, michael jackson etc all introverts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Start reading Quiet, by Susan Cain. It helped me understand myself a bit better. She mentions a large amount of reliable sources.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
I don't really see a big difference between I's and E's to be honest. If you are in good company you can share a laugh no matter your type.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's not about being nice. Sharing laughs is fine, but I need days to recover.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've found the articles on intpexperience.com to be quite an accurate in depth description of introverts,primarily INTP's. The website was created by an INTP after all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts