Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Of course I don't believe typing people quickly would be an opinion I would hold onto with much permanence, but I've been thinking about how useful it would be to be able to differentiate people quickly. The key is to pick out behavior that borders on being mindset as much as possible. I've thought out a strategy, but if anyone thinks such judgements may not be accurate, or if you know a more obvious way to tell someone apart, let me know.

I think it is easy to tell P from J the fastest.
Besides tell tale signs of responsibility that can accrue onto a P user with maturity giving them no choice in the matter, Js will have their natural dialogue or behavior devolve into a plan or future action. Even with typical chit-chat it will be about "this leads to this" with a strong sense of right or wrong about it based on what it leads to. P users will be more interested in devolving the dialoge into getting a sense or feel for the thing, whatever it is. And their sense of right and wrong will depend on whether they like "it" or not like "it". The only way I can run into problems here is if they are so highly introverted it can be mistaken for a sense of being lackadaisical, and poorly attributed to P.

After this comes extroverted functions and how to tell when someone is using Te Fe Se Ne.
But after narrowing the J vs. P, it's a matter of Se vs. Ne, or Te vs. Fe. Se vs. Ne will be pretty obvious, Ne will be kind of wacky with what leads to what compared to Se being pretty "it is what it is". Fe vs. Te will be a little more difficult. To this, I look for immediate attachment to something. Or they will talk about how whatever it is leads to how they strongly feel about it. It is possible for Te to be very obvious, and Fe to be very obvious. But there is that grey area where it is hard for me to tell, so if anyone has any good ideas, let me know.

For ultimate accuracy, figure out whether they are introverted or extroverted.
Sometimes this can be fairly obvious. Other times you just can't really know. The most I can tell is that extroverts will go out of their way for interaction of some kind that occupies their thinking. Introverts will search for very algorithmic interaction so that they are left to think for themselves.

So at the end, I think I'm looking for more tell tale signs of differences between Fe and Te, because that's the most difficult for me. Maybe let me know where you run into problems with typing people too.

Reactions: Narcissus

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My way of typing people is to first figure out whether a person is a judging dom or a perceiving dom. Are they the sort who have a natural detachment toward systems and dislike placing things into boxes, or are they the sort who likes categorizing things and like to have things settled quickly in their mind?

And then from there, I start narrowing down their other functions. Do they use Fe or Fi? Do they treat people as individuals or are they the sort who values group-thinking?

That introversion/extroversion dichotomy can be a little bit tricky to figure out though, because there are some people who are cognitively an extrovert but socially an introvert.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Apart from those, i also look for physical and body language cues. There seem to be a lot of patterns about how some types gesticulate, how they touch their own hairs, how they suddenly move their head to turn their attention to something, and so on.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apart from those, i also look for physical and body language cues. There seem to be a lot of patterns about how some types gesticulate, how they touch their own hairs, how they suddenly move their head to turn their attention to something, and so on.
That sounds like something difficult to be objective about. When you come up with details, I'm interested in hearing about it.

Reactions: aendern

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
That sounds like something difficult to be objective about. When you come up with details, I'm interested in hearing about it.
I think i should clarify that the patterns i spotted until now are restricted to the area where i live. I guess most of those characteristics are influenced by culture, so i imagine they wouldn't be valid in a different context. Still, i believe that in a given context you can almost certainly notice that kind of cues, if you have collected enough data in regards to that context.

Anyway, i really would have no idea how to explain in words what i see, because the matter is way too visual in nature. For example, INTP females are (for me, relatively to the area where i live) the easiest type to spot by pure looks; until now it looks like they have the same way of smiling, the same posture when they sit, the same tone of voice, and maybe there is even more but i find it really hard to explicitly recall it because most of these cues live in the visuality of the moment.

Now that i think about it, i have noticed that ISFJ females show an almost exact reproduction of the stereotypical dialect of the local area being taken into consideration. This seems to me the only non-relative characteristic i was able to identify through this way of typing people.

EDIT: maybe that's also applicable to SJs in general, but it seems to me ISFJ females show that clue much more consistently.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I find this interesting, but it can be quite inaccurate. Well, this is how I do it.

First, I try to find out if a person is J or P. This is usually easy. As soon as I've found out someone is a J, I look at Si vs Ni and Te vs Fe. If I figure someone's a P, I look at Se vs Ne and Fi vs Ti. I find it hard to distinguish Ni/Si or Ne/Se, because there are a lot of intelligent and intellectual people in my environment, and smart S's often get mistyped as N's, so I usually try to figure out whether they're Fi, Ti, Te or Fe. Fe is the easiest one for me to notice, maybe because I use it too. So, as soon as I've narrowed them down to xxTJ, xxFJ, xxTP and xxFP, I try to figure out which of the four temperaments they fit in. As soon as I find that out, I'll only have to figure out if they're introverted or extroverted. I know it's not the right approach, but I just look at how talkative they are to find that out, because I don't really now a different way to figure out so quickly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For me, as I interact with the people I pick up random pieces of conversation and actions and label them with the respective functions. As I keep track of which functions the person uses more I just slowly make-up and re-evaluate his/her type in my head.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For me, as I interact with the people I pick up random pieces of conversation and actions and label them with the respective functions. As I keep track of which functions the person uses more I just slowly make-up and re-evaluate his/her type in my head.
Interesting approach, I use to do this somewhat. But it's so easy to mistake a behavior when it is this specific for a mindset, so I normally continually throw out large quantites of data points. Which leads to a slow conclusion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts