Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basically if anyone can give me advice or short summaries of each type and/or the summaries of all the functions, I can use to help me type people. anything would probably be great thanks

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
There was this thread, I can't find it anymore since I forgot the title :( Something like 'common misconceptions/misunderstandings about MBTI/the fuctions' - it was amazingly insightful.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually im looking into general ideas of what composes a certain function, and if it appears in more than several posts then there must be something to it. Thanks again :)

also i love your username

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

Well the intro to function theory is pretty good. I guess the best part is the first part, before the functions, because it explains how MBTI actually works. It's pretty fundamental. What you might want to do is try to find threads/articles that sound something like "Fe vs Fi" or "N vs S" and "T vs F" - I've found these threads pretty useful.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i read through the one that described how each part corresponds witth each other and gave a short description of Fi,Ne, etc

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I unconsciously type people all the time through behavior instead of cognitive process. You can't type cognitive process because you can't know why someone does something unless they tell you. Two people of different types can take the exact same action. It's they why that lets you know if someone took an action because of Fe vs Fi.

However, primary and secondary cognitive processes leads to a systemic preference in behavior, behavior that the MBTI has assigned letters to. So I analyze the patterns of unconscious behavior to make determinations what type they are.

S and N is the absolutely easiest to figure out. I can tell through conversation by they way they organize their thoughts.

I find that E or I is the hardest to determine. It's hard to tell if someone is Social Introvert vs an Extrovert. And ENFPs have a tendency to need alone time but for different reasons than Introverts so it's a tricky letter to figure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I unconsciously type people all the time through behavior instead of cognitive process. You can't type cognitive process because you can't know why someone does something unless they tell you. Two people of different types can take the exact same action. It's they why that lets you know if someone took an action because of Fe vs Fi.

However, primary and secondary cognitive processes leads to a systemic preference in behavior, behavior that the MBTI has assigned letters to. So I analyze the patterns of unconscious behavior to make determinations what type they are.

S and N is the absolutely easiest to figure out. I can tell through conversation by they way they organize their thoughts.

I find that E or I is the hardest to determine. It's hard to tell if someone is Social Introvert vs an Extrovert. And ENFPs have a tendency to need alone time but for different reasons than Introverts so it's a tricky letter to figure.

I understand this. This is part of the reason that when i type someone i dont take it as a definite answer. But as something to build upon. Meaning that even if i take the time to watch them carefully and listen to all they say thoroughly i will still take the mbti lightly. So what i am trying to say is that i would agree with you but it can still be helpful and entertaining to try to type someone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts