Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ISTP; 9w8/4w3/7w8 sx/so
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new on this website, and since I happened to have problems understanding my mbti recently, I filled out this questionnaire I found on the website to get help from the people here who know about it more than I do. I think the questions are not trivial or easy at all and that's the reason why I thought it was a good idea to choose this one.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
I've been diagnosed with cyclothymia and I have some sort of body dysmorphia. I've been under medication for cyclothymia for almost four months now and the symptoms right now are fully under control, so I guess I am "being myself", or at least feeling like it, now. As for a stressful time, if we ignore the fact that I think almost every person on the planet is stressed by the current situation, I'm currently in exam period right now, I have an important one tomorrow and I'm a bit worried for that, but it's not overwhelming. I am a female, 22, and right now as I said before I feel pretty calm if we exclude the exam I should have tomorrow.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
Here it is
I think I've been attracted to this photo because it's a forest-like environment. I'm currently studying forestry and environmental sciences in my master's degree, so of course I would be attracted by forests, haha. When I'm inside a forest I feel peace of mind, and also looking at a picture of it gives me the same vibe. The species here seems to be polar, but I'm not 100% sure because the place is in America and I'm from Europe and I'm much more knowledgeable on European forests than American ones.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

My intial thought would be "aw, screw it", but I'd probably keep calm and even joke about it. When I'm with other people, I always tend to look much more optimistic and carefree than I actually feel. It's like I'm compelled to make jokes and not take anything seriously at all when I'm with other people, I think because I'm afraid they'll judge me negatively if I show too many negative emotions.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I probably wouldn't want to go at first, but I'd end up going anyway and probably I'd also have fun in the end.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
It depends. I'm usually really calm when it comes to this because I think anyone has to have their own believes, and even if I strongly disagree with someone on something, I wouldn't try to actively change their mind because I think it's something they should work on on their own. If it's something I'm really passionate about, I'd probably voice my disagreement casually and calmly and I would become more aggressive only if I would feel that they're trying to force their views on me.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
I'm not sure how to answer this question because I think it's very vague. I think that, as I said in the previous question, I would keep calm anyway and do my own thing and get aggressive only if I felt like I'm being forced into something I don't want to do.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
Authenticity; in fact, when for some reason I have to lie or act in a particular way, I'll feel very disappointed with myself. I mean, I'll do it anyway if I need to, but I would still feel like I've killed my own personality.
Acceptance of diversity, as I try to accept people for who they are (I mean in terms of ethnicity, sexuality, etc.) without any prejudice on them.
Also following my own path is important for me. Even if other people's judgment on me or my actions and ideas might be harsh or negative and it might hurt me (in the past, up until recently, I would deny about caring for it at all, but now I've understood that I actually care), I'll do my own thing anyway because I don't think one should sacrifice their own identity and happiness just to please people.
I think these three are the main ones. I came to determine them when I understood that in life I just wanted to be myself, be accepted for who I am without being judged and be left alone to do my own thing, and I have the same feeling towards others. As for them changing, I have to say that up to a while ago I wasn't so authentic as I thought I was. I feel that, at least to myself, I am much more authentic now that I've started to recognize in myself also characteristics that I used to deny I had at all (like for example, caring about people's judgement).

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
a) I wouldn't really know. Right now, I feel I am nothing special, even if I was convinced of the opposite up to a while ago. People always tell me I'm "particular", but they never explain exactly what they mean. My boyfriend says he's been attracted to me in the beginning because I was mysterious and stood out among people, but he wasn't able to explain what he meant, he said it was just a feeling.
b) I think I would like to be a stronger person and be more self-confident. Back when I wasn't treated for my mood disorder, I had "up" moments, lasting from weeks to months, in which I felt like I could do anything and I was the most competent and intelligent person in the world. I miss those moments honestly, even if I know it was a sign of an illness and I wouldn't stop taking my meds because I'm too afraid of the "down" periods that would follow. But I would like to feel self-confident, at least a bit, again.
I also would like to be able to think more about the future. People often tell me that I am short-sighted, and I can't deny it because every time I think about my future I can't see anything and I just feel very confused. I don't think it's a bad thing to live in the present, but at the same time, in retrospection I can see that in some situations, if I'd had some more consideration for future scenarios, things could have been better.
And last but not least, I would like to be able to express my feelings better. People tend to see me as cold, blunt and detached from the outside, they think I don't feel anything and that I won't feel offended or hurt by anything because of it, and I hate this. Up to recent times I used to deny I had any feeling as well, but ever since my mood was stabilized I realized that I have a lot of them, I'm just terrible at expressing them (it's always too much together or nothing at all) and, paired with my tendency to rationalise everything and always try to look more carefree than I actually am in front of people, I end up looking like I'm just devoid of feelings. The only way I can express them freely is through my drawings.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
They are discontinuous.They are like a sudden realization, it's not something that happens to me all the time. I'm not really good at understanding where they come from, and they tend to be quite volatile, but they're there and I just tend to trust them when I feel them.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
a) Being immersed in nature, taking walks on my own, physical excercice, doing practical laboratory activities, baking, drawing, pretty much any other activity that ends up with me creating something as I feel that creativity is a very important part of my life. As for being in nature, taking walks and exercicing, I like those because they allow me to think freely. I think a lot on a normal basis, but when I'm in a closed environment or with other people my thoughts feel as though they're disturbed, and they seem to flow freely only when I'm out in the open and moving around on my own.
b) Speaking for a too long time and studying theory without any application for it. As for the first, I start to really have trouble to mind my own words when I've spoken for over 20-30 minutes, and as for the second, I'm just not good at learning unless I do things myself or if I don't see them directly with my own eyes. In fact, I hate just studying from textbooks. Another thing that drains me is having emotional outbursts. When my emotions become "too much" and they end up exploding, I feel as though I've to sleep for days to make up for it.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
In the past, up to a while ago, but expecially in my teen years, I used to repress my emotions very much. I'm still terrible at expressing them (but not because I'm trying to suppress them actively, now), but at least I don't deceive myself anymore by telling myself that they aren't there at all, which is a big fat life.
As I said several times before, I tend to repress my more pessimistic side around others and look like the person who's always ready to joke around and have fun, which is partly true, since I'm not the most serious person, but at the same time, I tend to act like this even when I don't really feel like it.
Another thing I do is "fake" empathy: my empathy is very volatile and "unreliable", it's not always when it's "supposed" to, other times I just won't feel it at a given moment and I will feel it later when I'm thinking again about that particular person, topic or event, or just not come at all. When I was younger, up to my early teens, I didn't try to fake it at all when I didn't feel it, and I would end up getting negative feedback from people because of it, as they thought that I was an emotionless asshole who didn't care about anyone. That's mainly the reason why I started to "fabricate" it in some particular social occasions in which I felt I needed to. I hate doing that because it's really unauthentic of me, but I'll do it if I need to because I don't really want to end up explaining my thinking and emotional process to people I barely know.

And here is everything. I know this section is for mbti typing, but feel free do add enneagram, socionics or whatever else you want when doing the typing. I'm curious to know if the impression that you have of me matches what I think of myself right now, or what I thought in the past.
I hope that my English is understandable. I'm sorry is some sentences aren't clear or is there are some mistakes, but I'm not a native English speaker.

·
Registered
INTJ
284 Posts
ISFP.

Fi - You mention a lot of having your own set of values and having that be respected is very important to you.
Se - Comes across in the nature and outdoorsy stuff you mention. It is a sort of visceral and immediate reaction of the physical world you mention more than once.

·
Registered
ISTP; 9w8/4w3/7w8 sx/so
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ISFP.

Fi - You mention a lot of having your own set of values and having that be respected is very important to you.
Se - Comes across in the nature and outdoorsy stuff you mention. It is a sort of visceral and immediate reaction of the physical world you mention more than once.
Yeah, I've mainly been uncertain between ISTP and ISFP lately. I've been pretty sure about ISTP in the past few years actually, but since I was having a hard time emotionally for the reasons I spoke about before, my feelings were nearly impossible to "grasp" due to me always swinging from one extreme to another without really feeling anything in between. And that's mainly the reason why I became unsure about my typing.

·
Registered
INTJ
284 Posts
Mood swings isn't really a type. You would want to read up on Ti vs Fi then since that would be your dominant function for either case. You really did not strike me as Ti dominant. ISTP is like way overrepresented in engineers, sports, military and police.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
a) Being immersed in nature, taking walks on my own, physical excercice, doing practical laboratory activities, baking, drawing, pretty much any other activity that ends up with me creating something as I feel that creativity is a very important part of my life. As for being in nature, taking walks and exercicing, I like those because they allow me to think freely. I think a lot on a normal basis, but when I'm in a closed environment or with other people my thoughts feel as though they're disturbed, and they seem to flow freely only when I'm out in the open and moving around on my own.
b) Speaking for a too long time and studying theory without any application for it. As for the first, I start to really have trouble to mind my own words when I've spoken for over 20-30 minutes, and as for the second, I'm just not good at learning unless I do things myself or if I don't see them directly with my own eyes. In fact, I hate just studying from textbooks. Another thing that drains me is having emotional outbursts. When my emotions become "too much" and they end up exploding, I feel as though I've to sleep for days to make up for it.
The A part of this is obvious Se. but when you say what drains you most is that you don't like doing something if there isn't a direct purpose for it. Ti isn't concerned with the purpose of things. Ti will break down anything just as a reflex.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
Authenticity; in fact, when for some reason I have to lie or act in a particular way, I'll feel very disappointed with myself. I mean, I'll do it anyway if I need to, but I would still feel like I've killed my own personality.
Acceptance of diversity, as I try to accept people for who they are (I mean in terms of ethnicity, sexuality, etc.) without any prejudice on them.
Also following my own path is important for me. Even if other people's judgment on me or my actions and ideas might be harsh or negative and it might hurt me (in the past, up until recently, I would deny about caring for it at all, but now I've understood that I actually care), I'll do my own thing anyway because I don't think one should sacrifice their own identity and happiness just to please people.
I think these three are the main ones. I came to determine them when I understood that in life I just wanted to be myself, be accepted for who I am without being judged and be left alone to do my own thing, and I have the same feeling towards others. As for them changing, I have to say that up to a while ago I wasn't so authentic as I thought I was. I feel that, at least to myself, I am much more authentic now that I've started to recognize in myself also characteristics that I used to deny I had at all (like for example, caring about people's judgement).
Also this reads very very heavily as Fi. You say your feelings are hard to grasp then I guess this part was all a bunch of lies or just whatever you were feeling at the moment?

·
Registered
ISTP; 9w8/4w3/7w8 sx/so
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mood swings isn't really a type.
I know, and I think that's why I ended up having a clearer view of myself once they were under control. It was pretty much impossible for me to have it when I was going through extremes constantly, as I wasn't acting "like myself" most of the time. My personality was kinda oppressed by the symptoms.

You say your feelings are hard to grasp then I guess this part was all a bunch of lies or just whatever you were feeling at the moment?
They used to be, in the past; it was as though I didn't have any feelings outside of the mood swings, most of the time. In these last few months, ever since I haven't had the extreme "swinging", it all came pretty clear to me, and without much effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts