Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type(s) are Sociopaths/Psychopaths? I'm guessing ESTP. What do you think? Any particular type? More than one?

Traits of a Sociopath/Psychopath:
  • Glibness and superficial charm
  • Narcissism
  • Highly manipulative
  • Shallow emotions (emotions may be felt but in shallow and fleeting ways)
  • Callousness and lack of empathy
  • Failure to accept responsibility for own acts
  • A lack of realistic, long-term goals
  • Impulsivity
  • Irresponsibility
  • Poor behavior controls
  • Promiscuous sexual behavior
  • Seeing others worth only in how they benefit self
  • Abusive of underlings

Reactions: mp2

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Would rather not generalise.

Reactions: Aizar

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What type(s) are Sociopaths/Psychopaths? I'm guessing ESTP. What do you think? Any particular type? More than one?

Traits of a Sociopath/Psychopath:
  • Glibness and superficial charm
  • Narcissism
  • Highly manipulative
  • Shallow emotions (emotions may be felt but in shallow and fleeting ways)
  • Callousness and lack of empathy
  • Failure to accept responsibility for own acts
  • A lack of realistic, long-term goals
  • Impulsivity
  • Irresponsibility
  • Poor behavior controls
  • Promiscuous sexual behavior
  • Seeing others worth only in how they benefit self
  • Abusive of underlings
I believe sociopaths and psychopathic behaviour has been linked to damage to the amygdala, the part of the brain that helps us process emotions. Childhood trauma is also often a factor. I don't believe there is any relationship to type.

·
Banned
3,277 Posts
I think you answered your own question in the thread title [INFJ] :wink:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Best of luck with this one. I don't think there would be one a particular type that would lean to psychopathy as we are all oh so close to being one. We all, in some way, exhibit the characteristics but in a less destructive way

Sociopaths/Psychopaths are very difficult to find in society that's why there is very little research done on the subject unless they are in prison or in psychiatric care. They certainly would not be in therapy

you would be better off asking appropriate questions that attract Sociopaths/Psychopaths

To locate these people, one researcher (Widom, 1977) who wanted to study them ran an ingenious ad in local newspapers:

Are you adventurous? Psychologist studying adventurous, care-
free people who’ve led exciting, impulsive lives. If you’re the
kind of person who’d do almost anything for a dare and want
to participate in a paid experiment, send name, address, phone,
and short biography proving how interesting you are to . .

When those who responded were given a battery of tests,
they turned out to be similar in personality make up to that of
institutionalized Sociopaths/Psychopaths .

cool!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
it's already a type lol

just wanted to connect with mum

oh yu gaiz. quit living in the past. let's talk business!

what's that? we're going to candy mountain?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I don't think sociopaths or psychopaths can be confined to type. I think there are instances of sociopaths within all 16 types, but the interesting question is how being a sociopath manifests within each type.

I would think ESXP sociopaths would more likely fit within the traditional, common view of a charming violent sociopath while INXP sociopaths would be less violent and less charming. This is just my best guess, but it's fascinating to think of what sociopaths of every type would be like.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I don't think sociopaths or psychopaths can be confined to type. I think there are instances of sociopaths within all 16 types, but the interesting question is how being a sociopath manifests within each type.

I would think ESXP sociopaths would more likely fit within the traditional, common view of a charming violent sociopath while INXP sociopaths would be less violent and less charming. This is just my best guess, but it's fascinating to think of what sociopaths of every type would be like.
I agree. I have done extensive research on serial killers, sociopaths, and psychopaths. There is no one thing that ties them all together. Each have their own individual case. Plus, if you look even deeper into certain cases, some didn't act alone. John Wayne Gacy asked the cops if they arrested the other people involved. As well as when Ted Bundy was not in certain locations where his supposed victims were killed. David Berkowitz -( sp? ) was a part of of a group or cult. Certain sightings puts his car and another car in odd areas... Anyway, each sociopath and psychopath is an individual and they must be treated as such. It might be impossible to type these individuals simply based on their level of mental health. For instance, look at Ted Bundy compared to Ed Gein. Totally differ personalities. Also, totally different levels of intelligence. I think we have yet to find the core element that ties all these people together. The one brain trauma theory is a good one, but it is not universal. A good read is a first hand account " My life Among Serial Killers. " By Dr. Helen Morrison. I've read it a few times and she really breaks down the minds of these people and her goal was to find a common link. Happy reading!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts