Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if there's another thread I could put this in, I didn't seem to find one.

I know it's not always possible to type other people, but I want to do this just for the fun of it ...

I want to try to type the other managers I work with. But I can't just walk up to them and ask them a bunch of weird questions ... :crazy:

So any advice? I know some of the big "flags" for each (SJ, NT, NF, SP) that I can look for already.

And I know you can't always tell J/P by messy/not messy ...

What's a good not-weird question to ask one of the MIT's to break the tie between NT and SP? :tongue:

Then, for my own reference:
* StoreMgr: ?
* AsBoMom: don't know yet
* Ben.t: ? possibly F, but can make impersonal work decisions
* Poofy: F ... J/P? Seems I, seems S. ISFJ? not an SP.
* Spikey: ENTJ prolly, but possibly ESTJ
* ChrWi: T, P
* Tob: ESTP? def T, very likely P
* AsBo: ? E ... N? F?
* Burger: NT or SP, prolly SP
* 101: ?
* 16: ISTJ (not manager)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm not very well-practiced and would like to be. I just observe and look for clues in their speech and mannerisms. Sometimes I can do it intuitively, other times I try to determine what functions they are using. I have gotten to where I think I can identify an INTP within minutes, but I happen to be one and know several of them. STPs and NTPs can look a lot alike, however. The difference is that the STP is more "earthy" while the NTP is "airy." A lot of help that is, right?

You want specific identifiers and strategies. Learn the functions used by each type if you haven't already. I sometimes refer to the lists here: Jungian cognitive functions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perceiving functions:
Se: is interested in what's going on and having experiences. Grounded in reality.
Ne: may manifest as randomness in thought or behavior, metaphorical.
Si: is interested in the past, rules, recall of factual details
Ni: completely mystifying to me

Judging functions:
Ti: problem-solving logic
Te: organizational logic
Fe: overt concern for others' feelings. May seem to demand compliance with social "rules" or walk on eggshells not to offend.
Fi: more subdued than Fe. I don't understand Fi well.

If you can determine even one function that is dominant or auxiliary then you can narrow down your choices to a few types. Determining whether they are introvert or extrovert is usually not too difficult.

Sometimes, especially in a work environment, people manifest their tertiary/inferior functions more than their core personality if the job requires it. For example, an ESFP (Se>Fi>Te>Ni) is not innately well-organized, but may have a well-developed Te if she is a manager. Sometimes if you're not sure of the dominant/auxiliary functions, you can find them indirectly by observing the tertiary and/or inferior functions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts