Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately everything has not been up to par in bed and otherwise - I've been fuzzy, have a less sharp memory, and generally less motivated to do a lot. Also, my endurance really sucks. Dancing, biking, having sex, whatever. I have to stop and rest and then get back to it frequently. Found out I was semi-anemic (right on the borderline) and am now in the lower normal range.
Got my testosterone checked on my request.... It's 328 at the first check, which was at 9:45am. That's the normal level for a 60+ male, and is in the lowest 5 percentiles for 35+ males. I'm 25...

Two things: I'm vegetarian and generally have a good diet. The anemia was caused by a medication for Acid Reflux. I don't think the vegetarian diet (I eat a lot of eggs and plenty of fats) is the cause. Still, I toy with the idea of eating meat again, but it just disgusts me. Sounds as palatable to me as does eating my dog or cat.

The only other thing I can think is that I was hit in the groin numerous times in grade school (bullies) and by an abusive girlfriend. One of the times I sat with ice on my crotch for a good 2 hours.

Does anybody have experience with anything like this?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of it is genetic.
Research Klinefelter's Syndrome.

Best way to increase testosterone is through hormone therapy, high protein diet and weight lifting.
Having sex, too. That'll help.
Looked at Klinefelter's, don't think that's me, but it's worth a look by the MD. I'm only 5'10 and have short arms, but those don't rule it out.

I used to weight lift, keep trying to get back into it, but just don't give it the time it needs (plus see lack of motivation above).

As is, I have lots of sex right now, and have for the last 6 months hehe. I could probably add more protein to my diet.
Hm... no other thought for now.

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
If my memory serves right, natural levels are usually dictated before birth. It generally depends on how much of the hormone you were exposed to in the womb (I believe that is what I read).

I would recommend seeing a doctor about it, nonetheless. Having dangerously low levels of T is not a good sign. In increases multiple health risks, can decrease life span, sex drive. Low levels may also indicate that you have a serious illness.

If you don't mind me asking: Do you suffer from depression by any chance? And of what build are you?

Tall and lanky? Short and stocky? Overweight?

·
Registered
498 Posts
You've had your testosterone and iron checked; have you had your vitamin levels checked? Although not usually a direct cause, being low in certain B vitamins can affect other things that can add up and lead to low testosterone. Also, if you've been using opiates frequently (such as Hydrocodone), they could be affecting your levels.

·
Banned
486 Posts
You suggest a background that entails peer abuse. Inter species stress, essentially bullying, over prolonged periods has many effects on a man's biology. One of which is a drop in testosterone production.

If you're in an environment where you are being pushed down or subjugated a lot that could be a contributing factor.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Clever Waffle: Hmm. Not sure about the B vitamins. I take multivitamins err day and had a "chem panel" done, but I don't know what that included. Inkteresting...

@Mountainshepherd The peer abuse is all >3 years in the past, but I wonder what long term effects there might be. It went on for quite a while as a kid with peers, then from 15-21 with the girlfriend.

·
Registered
498 Posts
@Clever Waffle: Hmm. Not sure about the B vitamins. I take multivitamins err day and had a "chem panel" done, but I don't know what that included. Inkteresting...
At the least, taking an extra B6 vitamin every day might help a bit. It increases testosterone and helps regulate blood sugar. A deficiency in it can result in anemia. Even if it doesn't help with your testosterone, it certainly won't hurt you to keep taking it.
Also, getting hit in the groin too many times can indeed affect you. I have no idea about how to go finding treatment for something like this (but I'm a pharmacy tech so I can tell you what medicines and vitamins do).

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woot. I have an appointment with an endocrinologist May 16th and am stoked to figure out what is going on and get started feeling better.

I'll post relevant updates.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Looked at Klinefelter's, don't think that's me, but it's worth a look by the MD. I'm only 5'10 and have short arms, but those don't rule it out.

I used to weight lift, keep trying to get back into it, but just don't give it the time it needs (plus see lack of motivation above).

As is, I have lots of sex right now, and have for the last 6 months hehe. I could probably add more protein to my diet.
Hm... no other thought for now.
By "lots" would you speculate you had sex equal to or less than 36 hours before you got checked by the MD? If I remember correctly, your levels lower after having sex for a small period and go back up to normal once the sperm has been reproduced(approximately 36 hours). Random note: If you go without sex, masturbation of any kind for 10 days straight, your testosterone level will massively spike until you do eventually give in. I don't remember if it returns you to your original level or if it is higher/lower at that point. I wish I had seen a visual graph.

But yeah, 10 day intervals may be a temporary fix at least.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By "lots" would you speculate you had sex equal to or less than 36 hours before you got checked by the MD? If I remember correctly, your levels lower after having sex for a small period and go back up to normal once the sperm has been reproduced(approximately 36 hours). Random note: If you go without sex, masturbation of any kind for 10 days straight, your testosterone level will massively spike until you do eventually give in. I don't remember if it returns you to your original level or if it is higher/lower at that point. I wish I had seen a visual graph.

But yeah, 10 day intervals may be a temporary fix at least.
I'm skeptical. Where did you learn this?

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
My brother & I were discussing low testosterone a few weeks ago because we're at that age where it's probably dropping off the chart & we're showing all the symptoms. We took different routes. He's in the low 300's & now taking testosterone injections. I researched the web for other treatments & so far I came up with this: supplements; I take Selenium, Zinc, Coleus Forskohlii (also called forskolin) & avoid all soy products. I also tried Tribulus Terrestris (brand name: TribuPlex 750) but when the bottle ran out I didn't notice any difference. I mentioned it because some guys swear by it. I may give it another try. Also lifting weights, not enough to bulk out much but stay toned. I have my annual physical in a couple of weeks & I'll ask my doctor if he'll do a testosterone check & a thyroid level check, in case I have an underactive thyroid. No idea what my testosterone level is yet but I am feeling a little peppier lately, sleeping better, getting more done on weekends & better focused mentally. Not a drastic difference for me but worth the effort to keep doing this routine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am not a doctor.

However, I am a dude. As a fellow dude who has had issues in the past, I would:
1. See a doctor first to make sure its not a result of any pummeling or damage the the bits.
2. Limit masturbation to 3-5 times a week. If sexually active, less than that.
3. Eat well. If you're eating ice cream, fast food, complex carbs, lots of sodium/saturated fat, it throws everything in your body off anyways...last thing its worrying about is testosterone production.
4. Find a good multivitamin.
5. Increase activity. Exercise...lift weights.
6. I would NOT take supplements for testosterone. You're body has all it needs to produce testosterone...If it doesn't, the Doctor will help you out.

That 7 day stuff is the real deal! All kinds of stuff out there called the "2 week challenge" and stuff like that. Its pretty difficult unless you have some serious psychological stuff goin on to prevent EVERYTHING from turning you on. Longest I went was Basic Training. We were actually worried... thought they put stuff in the food... but we were just being completely stressed out of it. We didn't even get morning wood. If we had dreams they were about being woken up, or caught sleeping, or something else that was stressful... hahaha The first time a dude got morning wood, he announced it to the whole platoon. Was good to know they hadn't done anything permanent to us:p When I got out of basic, like most everyone else, I was a bubbling cauldron of testosterone doing nothing but the above steps, albeit in basic training.

7. Join the Army??

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts