Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I've been having trouble getting my personality well typed by MBTI, which is a real shame because I have been able to reliably type many of my close friends with great success, and they all say that it has been a very positive event in their lives, providing clarity in purpose and thought. At this point I'm almost jealous of their small bits of enlightenment. So, on this note, I'll explain my problem with typing myself. On the last test I took online, these were my results(approximately).

E 55% : 45% I
S 50% : 50% N
T 65% : 35% F
J 32% : 68% P

Yeah, so that's no help at all. I've taken so many tests (and given so many more) that any chance at objective results is entirely gone. So as a last shot, I'll give the questionnaire posted on this site a shot.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Well, I'm fairly sure I'm T and P, just because emotions have never been a huge part of my life, unless I'm down, in which case they overtake me unless I shove them into the back of my mind (something I find quite easy if I remember to make the conscious effort), and P because I hate anything and everything to do with lists, schedules, my pet peeve is commitment, and my nemeses are appointments.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
To perfect all of the skills that appeal to me in my lifetime. By that I mean that I grow tired of skills and activities that I perfect (or at least become competent in) quite quickly, and must move on. So to live a perfect life, I would need to be given the freedom to perfect all of the skills that came my way, and piqued my interest. By skills I mean both physical and mental, but mainly physical, with a focus in creation of physical objects, which has always appealed to me (I am a training blacksmith, competent silversmith, ceramicist, woodworker, and I am starting sculpture).

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way
At my finest, I am playing ringleader in a circus about me. It may sound arrogant and self-centered, but truly I feel most myself when I am the center of attention. I love to be funny, but even more I love to be respected. I have always wanted to be that mysterious figure who nobody can come to know personally, but everybody knows about my accomplishments and skills. My favorite thing to do is show off, in situation where I don’t have to come off as arrogant, because I am typically aware of how other people feel about me, and being arrogant would take the level of my image down in their minds.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Being one-upped, especially in something I consider myself expert at, makes me feel like I hardly exist at all. When I’m not busy being the master at something, I feel like I might as well not be at all. I hate being useless most of all. If I am helping somebody, and they make a leap in their learning so that they don't have use of my tutoring for a few minutes, I am incredibly uncomfortable until I am needed again.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
My decisions are based on how I feel about them, but not emotionally, more so on a gut instinct level. I typically make my decisions in a quick moment, before I can completely analyze them. I have little patience for those who would wait and think for too long before acting.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
When creating a project, competence in the answer is always a high priority. I hate to present any project I am in any way responsible for if it does not completely represent the amount and depth of knowledge I have on the subject. This does not include busy work projects, which I blow off entirely, and have a "who cares anyways" attitude towards. I do not consider myself a control freak, I consider myself a fairly passive worker until I find a mistake, at which time I feel it is a personal responsibility to fix the mistake as soon as possible.
7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

My parents were out of town, and I got a whole new group of friends I had just met over to my house to hang out, and once they saw a piece of my work hanging on the wall, they wanted to see the rest of it, and I spent the next few hours taking them through each piece of my art one by one. I was totally caught up in the moment; I just loved the look on each one of their faces when they saw a piece they especially liked. It was one of the greatest moments of the past few years.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I need to get my hands on things, or at least use them. I can learn most anything pretty quickly, most of my teachers give me the “kid who doesn’t talk in class, never asks questions, never does the homework, but still gets a decent grade on everything that matters” description. Most of the teachers I have had for arts such as ceramics, metals, and woodworking say that I am prodigy-esque, which really gets my gears going. Of course, this status only lasts until I become disinterested with the material, and everything goes downhill from there.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
I love the term “organized chaos”. It perfectly describes most of my life. It’s all a spur of the moment creation, and as such, there is no time to sit down and organize. Even so, I know where everything that matters is (at least most things). My tools are scattered everywhere, and sometimes I have to look for them. On these occasions, I’m likely to just turn to a new tool and try to make do with what is at hand instead of grabbing the real tool.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I typically have a solution in mind that I need to find evidence for. For example, in answering this question, I tried out both descriptions on myself quickly, got an idea of what I thought was right, then found evidence to prove it, found my original idea was wrong, then checked to see if I had evidence in my mind for the other idea. I did, and I changed my mind accordingly.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
It makes me very uncomfortable when somebody holds resentment towards anybody else in the group I am in. I usually prefer to have harmony in the group when I am with my closest friends, but once I am sure they are all okay with each other, I don’t hesitate to start arguments. I think of myself as the binding thread of each group I am in. I break the group in order to make things exciting, and then I stitch our wounds to pull the group together again (so I have plenty more opportunities for arguments!).

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I much prefer the group conversation to the individual, I like the chance to sit back now and then to observe the people around me, and get a handle on who they are and what makes them happy or angry. One on one conversations are reserved for depth, anything other than a deep conversation between two people seems to artificial and forced. I hate one on one small talk.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Jump in right away, and actions speak louder than words. I don’t feel I even need to explain this, it just is a truth in my mind.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
The show can be delayed, friends have deadlines, places to be, and they get insulted when you don’t join them… television doesn’t. it’s pretty simple. Also, blowing off friends reduces their opinion of me, which is a pitiful situation overall.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I remain very calm externally, most people think that I don’t get stressed because I never act like it. Internally, I go through a set of changes depending on how bad I’m stressed, and who/what I’m stressed about. Level 1: low stress (oops I forgot my homework… again) get pissed, start getting more feely. Level 2: medium stress (oops I just pissed off my friend a bit too much) get really feely, hope that I can fix things with some equivocation skills. Level 3: High stress (oh shit I crashed my car!) my Thinking abilities fall off the face of the Earth, my feelings take control, and I feel like a backseat driver to my own life. I hate being high level stressed, because I’m not in control

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
If they have too much feeling in their decisions, or if they are too fake. I hate fake people. If you aren’t willing to throw the depths of your personality to the world, then you are either ashamed of it, or a private person. My problem is with extraverted people who are too ashamed of their personalities, and then hide them under a façade of fake personality.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Philosophy, life, craftsmanship, love, beauty, and achievement: all the great things that matter in life.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
The way I feel, because I sometimes think I don’t have feelings on a normal basis.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
My close friends perceive me as the artsy guy in the group, because I like to hang out with techies and geeks normally. They make for the best conversation and the most common interests. The only time I don’t like being with them is when I want a deep life conversation, or to talk about things like MBTI. They don’t like these conversations, except when I can find a way to get them interested by relating it to other things they like. Their perceptions are not far off; I’m quite open with a large number of people. The only things they don’t know about me are my past, and what happens when I’m at my worst, because I remove myself from groups, and people in general, when I’m stressed.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Ill create some stuff, hang out with my friends by chilling together, playing some DnD, playing some video games, maybe go get lunch. I won’t be the one to start these group meetings, but I will join any that come my way.

Hopefully that all makes sense, and will be helpful in getting me a good typing. any of your guy's input would be welcomed, and thanks in advance for your help.
Gordon

·
Registered
309 Posts
Almost certain that you're some type of STP. I'm leaning towards ESTP. In order to type yourself it might be helpful to learn about the cognitive functions and how they relate to the four letter type code. That could be done reading this: http://personalitycafe.com/cognitiv...iled-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

Your post definitely had a strong Se/Ti presence. From what I could see Fe was also pretty evident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deciding around that feature is the problem I've been having recently. I wanted the first comment to be as objective as possible, by now that I have someone confirming my beliefs, I'll say that I have been trying to figure myself out between istp, intp, estp, entp. I've always felt more n than s, but people tell me I'm very S. I think the e vs I is going to be hard as well, because I'm quite comfortable being alone, but I'm also very comfortable in a group.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts