Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm at the stage in education where I really need to start deciding where I want to go to university, I have some places in mind and I hope you guys could help me not end up going somewhere I dislike.

So I'm hopefully gonna do a zoology degree and there's some bigger unis and smaller unis providing the course, I just would like you guys to judge it on the city or town mainly, not the uni (however if I put down a crappy uni let me know hah)

So from this list, please let me know if there's any you think would be good and any you think would be bad (I'm an INFP 9 so go by that)

Cardiff
Southampton
Manchester
York
Edinburgh
Swansea
Aberystwyth
Reading
Sheffield
Roehampton
And finally just London in general (I don't have a specific university in mind there)

Thanks a lot, any kind of thoughts would be appreciated lots :)

1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've lived in Manchester my whole life so in terms of comparisons to living in other cities I can't be of much service, however if you have an questions about Manchester in particular I'd be happy to help.
Oh ok, I'll ask a few questions then if you don't mind.

Okay, is there much green space (parks and fields etc) in Manchester, and is that near the university?

Also is it flat or hilly?

And are the people nice and friendly/open-minded?

Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Oh ok, I'll ask a few questions then if you don't mind.

Okay, is there much green space (parks and fields etc) in Manchester, and is that near the university?

Also is it flat or hilly?

And are the people nice and friendly/open-minded?

Thanks!
1) Well there are two universities the, Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) and the University of Manchester, they're both on the southern fringe of the city center so there isn't much green space apart from Whitworth Park, Gartside Gardens and a little space by the MMU.
Here's a screenshot of google maps - Screenshot by Lightshot

2) The city center as a whole is pretty flat, I can't think of an area or place uphill/downhill apart from Oxford road station

3) (Might be a bit biased here) I'd say so obviously there will be those who aren't but Manchester for the most part is pretty diverse in terms of race and culture, don't know how people are in the northern part of the city but I know most of the southern region and for the most part I haven't had much trouble with people

Sidenote: The Chorlton area is is pretty green in terms of parks and fields

Hope this helped somewhat?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
@pearslug

I do youth work in uk, so you can ask me tips on career etc if you like.

Having said that I don't know many of the places you've listed in terms of unis, a girl I knew once went to manchester and she enjoyed it.

As for London, well that's London, they'll be a lot of opportunities there, though also more competition.

I think a lot of it depends on where you want to be with your zoology and what you are looking for from a uni.

If you want to do well at zoology, then perhaps look to see where the best departments are, respected people in the field and try and go there, and go to the places that will help fulfill your ambitions.

If you want a good uni experience, or both, then visit some open days and get a flavour for which ones intuitively feel right for you. Each town and city is going to have a different vibe, which will mean you get a different flavour and spin on the course and content. Think a bit further down the road and where you want to be after you have done university, and consider the uni that is going to help give you a good experience as well as furthering your career aims.

If you want to ask anything else. Just mention me.

1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) Well there are two universities the, Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) and the University of Manchester, they're both on the southern fringe of the city center so there isn't much green space apart from Whitworth Park, Gartside Gardens and a little space by the MMU.
Here's a screenshot of google maps - Screenshot by Lightshot

2) The city center as a whole is pretty flat, I can't think of an area or place uphill/downhill apart from Oxford road station

3) (Might be a bit biased here) I'd say so obviously there will be those who aren't but Manchester for the most part is pretty diverse in terms of race and culture, don't know how people are in the northern part of the city but I know most of the southern region and for the most part I haven't had much trouble with people

Sidenote: The Chorlton area is is pretty green in terms of parks and fields

Hope this helped somewhat?
Yeah thanks for that pretty useful :)

I guess I'll go to the open day, cus I like the idea of it being culturally diverse but the green spaces and flatness might annoy me. Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
INTP
7,069 Posts
Where are you from?

That'll help with advising on whether you'll enjoy the place or not.

I'm from Yorkshire, went to uni in London and didn't like it hugely, so I'm shifting over to Leeds when I get back from this year in China.

A factor for me though is that I started at 25, so I guess my take on it may have been a bit different. Main factor was that nights out weren't actually that special compared to any other city, and the life in and around campus was dull. I was at Queen Mary uni. It's about 30 minutes from there to the heart of the city, by bus or tube. Nice uni but overall it was a bore. I can't wait to get to Leeds, where everything is more 'local' and I'm in my own part of the country too.

As for universities, I guess I'd recommend Manchester?

Mainly though we need to know more about you:

Where are you from?
What kind of lifestyle do you want?
What are your main worries and fears about going to university?
How old are you?

These things might help decide which place is best for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts