Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
INTP 5w4
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in work for 5 years now straight out of higher education and recently applied to a Uni course with a foundation year.

I received a response from the University and they have given me an unconditional changed course offer and have removed the foundation year. They want to put me straight onto the 3 year degree route.

My question is this:

Having been out of education for so long and being no longer used to doing things like writing essays or doing research efficiently, is a foundation year really that beneficial?
Should I be worried about being unprepared for going into a 3 year degree? Or are these kinds of things covered in the first year of a 3 year degree anyway?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
If you've already been to university is that really a problem?
I mean a 3 year degree involves the same process as it does as the first time around presumably, where on most courses the 1st year just requires a pass and is just a foundation year in and of itself. I remember my first year of university at the Uni of York (UK) and it was a spoon-feed year where they're making sure that absolutely everyone has ample time and guidance to adapt.

They literally had seminars on how to write an essay and all the most basic things anyone without a single clue could ever want to practice. They start out with 500 word essays which are just glorified paragraphs. If you've already been in higher education, you'll still have the latent brain synapses, you just need to reactivate them so you'll have a significant advantage if you even need it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts