·
Registered
1,058 Posts
lol they typed Feynman as entj

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

I'd buy ENTJ for Feynman.
I've read all his books and watched his videos. His jocular personality, goading playfulness, love of wordplay, his ramping of enthusiasm as he talks, explanation by metaphor, unconcern for details -- are really typical ENTP hallmarks.

While I think this method may have something to it, I wonder if its not picking up on temporary inclinations.

for example, with a professor like Feynman, he will have many canned explanations he's used before in lectures and interviews. When he's reciting, he's not in his 'native Ne-Ti' mode. ..but rather talking thought an accepted system....so I can see how this can look Te-Ni.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for example, with a professor like Feynman, he will have many canned explanations he's used before in lectures and interviews. When he's reciting, he's not in his 'native Ne-Ti' mode. ..but rather talking thought an accepted system....so I can see how this can look Te-Ni.
Systems, planning ahead... that sounds very J and very Ni-Se :wink:

While ENTPs can talk at length about what they are interested in they don't orbit the same intuitive nugget so intently. In the magnet video he gets very badly stuck in his 'thing that is very hard to explain' explanation.

A high Ni fumble is to perceive something from different angles thus expanding your understanding of it, then, in trying to explain and think simultaneously, you end up not vocalizing the various angles properly and it sounds like you are going round in circles.

The magnet video is exactly like this, his brain was cooking but he was boring. ENxPs seem to have much better vocal packaging of ideas.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,568 Posts
Wow. The leanback , check. What causes that?

l don't really think these people are monotone though. My INTJ was.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read all his books and watched his videos. His jocular personality, goading playfulness, love of wordplay, his ramping of enthusiasm as he talks, explanation by metaphor, unconcern for details -- are really typical ENTP hallmarks.
These are all ENTJ hallmarks also, they are Ns with a way with words, extroverted and tend to accelerate past details.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Systems, planning ahead... that sounds very J and very Ni-Se :wink:

While ENTPs can talk at length about what they are interested in they don't orbit the same intuitive nugget so intently. In the magnet video he gets very badly stuck in his 'thing that is very hard to explain' explanation.

A high Ni fumble is to perceive something from different angles thus expanding your understanding of it, then, in trying to explain and think simultaneously, you end up not vocalizing the various angles properly and it sounds like you are going round in circles.

The magnet video is exactly like this, his brain was cooking but he was boring. ENxPs seem to have much better vocal packaging of ideas.

That is my point. As a college professor you're called on to present the same talk, lecture, material over and over. If it is something that you understand well, there is nothing much left for intuition to squeeze out of it. So you default into canned responses and demonstrations that work well.

I re-watched the video. In truth, he sounds rather tired and slightly annoyed. But I disagree with your analysis:

Badly stuck? He's not stuck at all and he's not going in circles.

He's teaching the interviewer that his question is pointless because it comes from a narrow, limited, perspective.
This is actually an incredibly valuable, very widely lateral insight into physics.

The interviewer finds magnets strange, but the fact that he can't pass his hand through a wall un-strange.
Feynman explains in fact they're actually the same forces at work, and that his question is therefore almost silly.

And more to the point, he's saying that any non-mathematical analogy is not a satisfactory explanation, because it is simply substituting one set of imprecise words for another. It doesn't get one any closer to the truth.

This is a very NP perspective, in my opinion.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get why you'd confuse Fe with Te in this particular video
I saw no Fe, and I don't know what there is to confuse between the two. He was very spiky, without the awareness required to stop the interviewer from being offended. His tenacity in creating an externally logical and efficient framework for the discussion came across as annoyance and impatience with the interviewer. ENTPs are very accommodating with people who show interest in intellectual topics, supporting the back and forth. Feynman was trying to make the external situation fit his personal judgements. He didn't end up saying a whole lot, intellectually leaning Fe-Ti usually make it their business to explain clearly and would have accepted the question as it is.

His imagery and comparisons throughout are very Se.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I saw no Fe, and I don't know what there is to confuse between the two. He was very spiky, without the awareness required to stop the interviewer from being offended. His tenacity in creating an externally logical and efficient framework for the discussion came across as annoyance and impatience with the interviewer. ENTPs are very accommodating with people who show interest in intellectual topics, supporting the back and forth. Feynman was trying to make the external situation fit his personal judgements. He didn't end up saying a whole lot, intellectually leaning Fe-Ti usually make it their business to explain clearly and would have accepted the question as it is.

His imagery and comparisons throughout are very Se.
I'm sorry, you just didn't grasp what the man said -at all- to keep claiming he he didn't say "a whole lot." He said something very deep.

Moreover, you're judging him based on one snippet of an interview. I've said it before, this is -not- in general his demeanor.

Feynman was trying to make the external situation fit his personal judgements.
Actually, I think this is exactly what you're trying to do.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Also, I wouldn't say that it's impossible for an ENTP to have systems and make plans.
Right on. I actually have plenty of systems. They just also happen to look like piles to most people. :laughing: -- not folders with a dozen colored tabs and iPhone app to index them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts