Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I should start with some background info; I'm sixteen and an art enthusiast. Anything involving music, drawing or just the stimulation of interpretation and wonder is extremely absorbing and, really, the only reason I have for living.

I feel the need to create, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Every time I try, it's not good enough, obsessing over the smallest details, thinking I can do better. Eventually, I get mad and drop it, but that needs to change. I can't deal with not being able to make art, but I can't deal with trying to make it!

Lately, there's been a lot of dumb stuff going on in my social life. Most of my family knows I'm atheist, which is a problem seeing as they're mostly hardcore Catholics except for my mom, I don't go out much because I get much more enjoyment with myself than with people that just don't understand how I work, and I don't really care about schoolwork as much as I used to. I'm probably going to enroll in a college for summer courses, taking art and philosophy, maybe something else. Recently, I've been drawn more to the grimdark side of the imagination, and I don't know why, but I get some sort of strange joy from it.

Anyway, that's too much for the main point: I can't create, but I have this overwhelming urge to do so.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Ok. Creativity is a fantastic thing, but sometimes we have to figure out how to channel it. Music and art are easy ways but sometimes not everyone is good at these. Perfectionism is common and completely ok while doing art. The real challenge is being willing to try even when you're not so good.

It's fine. This happens and it will pass. Direct your creative energy at something else. Like school. Turn your creative energy into productive energy. It is a very practical thing to do especially when you are sixteen years old.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
School is trivially easy; I'd rather focus on things I enjoy. I know I'll be able to get into a college and hold a steady job if I want to, but who cares when it's not what you enjoy doing? Why do you live? I live to enjoy, not to be swamped with dull topics.

EDIT: This may seem a little harsh, but I'm not trying to be, really... Thanks for that, I guess I understand what you mean to say.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Creativity is not about getting something perfect and it's more something that comes and goes in bursts, easier for some to access than others, but everyone is capable of it. The main thing is to get the basics of what you want down, try not to envision/glorify exactly what you want in your head so much (definitely not before you're almost at the end). Nothing comes out perfect the first time, and it takes putting something down, stepping away from it, and coming back to it later to break out of the obsessing and it will help you love what you've done more, I think. Don't try to do it all in one go
This might be helpful

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
A medium is merely a vessel for the idea in the mind of the artist, good art is art that can translate said idea. You have better images in your mind than what you're able to produce. It's one of the easier problems in art to fix, considering how hard it is to make yourself creative.

Technique can be learned.

For drawing, just practice. Ignore drawing everything you think of, until you're better able to translate. Otherwise you'll just get frustrated and you'll burn out.

Blind contour drawings
Positive/Negative space drawings
Gesture Drawing
Sight measuring and proportion
Thumbnail sketches forcing you to round your value in a certain direction (use only 3-4 values to compose).

Do these things to train your arm and hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A medium is merely a vessel for the idea in the mind of the artist, good art is art that can translate said idea. You have better images in your mind than what you're able to produce. It's one of the easier problems in art to fix, considering how hard it is to make yourself creative.

Technique can be learned.

For drawing, just practice. Ignore drawing everything you think of, until you're better able to translate. Otherwise you'll just get frustrated and you'll burn out.

Blind contour drawings
Positive/Negative space drawings
Gesture Drawing
Sight measuring and proportion
Thumbnail sketches forcing you to round your value in a certain direction (use only 3-4 values to compose).

Do these things to train your arm and hand.
This is fantastic, thank you so much. The way you correlated art and the mind of the artist sprung a rather enlightening discovery; It's a feeling I can't quite describe. I'll research these exercises and get right on it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well, if you want to get better at production of art then you have to pay your dues first. I think everybody has the ability to create good art but the people who make it their life are much more efficient at it. So like for music, Liszt would have pupils do only scales and arpeggios for a year before they actually played any real music. And even in a conservatory you are constantly paying homage to bach and haydn and doing scales and arpeggios.

So if you want to be an artist as in drawing and what not, you just need to be spending lots and lots of time on perspective and the human form and whatever else the "dues" are, I'm not too familiar with that kind of art. It's actually kind of a weight off your shoulders because then you can just work on fundamentals instead of trying to produce some kind of masterpiece...

Whether you do that or work on an actual piece of art though, just know that you can spend time working on it or not, but either way tomorrow is going to come, do you want the day that passed to have gotten you closer to your goal or not? Either way the day will pass.

Anyways, that's a broken explanation of my general thoughts on that but hopefully it helped a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts