Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys ever notice how utterly unaware of the world you can be. I think I experience the world in this sort of very indirect way. I don't usually like to do things and would rather sit and think. If I do them though, it usually just ends up fine and I don't end up caring. For example I will get assigned a task that I assume annoy me, but I end up just doing it. I assume it will change my life, like when I volunteered for a winter festival, but in the end I hardly noticed it most of the time. If I do something I have to do it, it's almost like it just gets done. It's as if these things just slide by me. Even when I'm actively participating in something like Scoccer during Psy. Ed. I am still sort of in my own world. I will kick the ball around and participate but am still in my own thoughts about the game. I will notice certain things like where the ball is but not the bigger picture like where everyone else is. Even if I think of "sensory" exprice like riding on a train. I tend to think of it in this very poetic way like what they atmosphere is and such. It is hard to explain. There are times where I can be pretty in the moment like shouting for my teammates to pass in Scoccer last Psy. Ed. but it will still all be in the realm of thoughts and ideas of what should be done. This has lead to some problems though somethimes like being unaware of my surroundings, to the point where I stubbed my toe so hard into a zucchini I shoved some of the skin into my toe, while trying to lean over to get a look at the rice cooker for leftovers. I think this maybe due to INFPs having no Se, and only tertiary Si. Is there anything I can do to improve this, or is this just how I am. Even Te is just thoughts/plans not really sensory awareness, I think ,but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
15,511 Posts
This happened last night:

Husband and I were shopping for my aging/elderly parents.

We are in the check-out lane, husband leaves to go back and check if "Amish Macaroni Salad" is on the salad bar.

I stand there, while he is gone, and I just....... hell, I don't even know what happened, I "spaced-out" or started "thinking" and didn't hear anyone in the store, whatever.... the grocery check-out person comes out from behind the register and says to my face "Ma'am?" I wake up and I say "Yes?" ..... three seconds pass and both of us just stand there waiting for the other to respond. Check-out person gets a worried look on his face like - - ->> "oh great, this woman is out of it, another customer that doesn't have a clue.."

Check-out person then says to me "don't you want to move up and check out?" and I said cheerfully "Oh sure!" ... and I push my cart forward... :tongue:

This is just my latest example of my beginnings of dementia or.... as you say in your #1 post "Do you guys ever notice how utterly unaware of the world you can be..." I have THOUSANDS of examples of this, not hearing someone call my name while *thinking* about god knows what. Spacing out. Travelling to who knows where - - ->> in my brain.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
"beginnings of dementia"????? xD xD

You know, OP? I don't "have it" as bad as I used to. It used to really be a problem. Now I'm infinitely much more present in the world. But oh man... yes... the spacing out that you and @Sily describe is a thing. And I very much enjoy it, the problem is... it becomes a problem when I must do something important in the world and people are counting on me to be present, specially at work. Actually, the only place where this is a problem is at work.
I can space out so hard that people literally call my name in the same room and I don't hear. I'm in lalaland. And this lalaland sometimes is about work-related stuff, like I'll be analysing something and how I can resolve it... and while I'm there on the Moon analysing.. good luck interacting with me. This means that people often perceive me as dumb.

My fave place to space out is at the grocery store. I just go into my own world where yoghurts are treasures to be found on aisle 25, and I try out every single one of the perfumes in the bath aisle, and next thing I know the workers are staring at me, and apparently they were saying something... sorry I didn't hear you, what? I exist in a bubble. And this bubble is not fragile; it's a challenge to interact with me.

Also I have severe lagoons of empty memory space. Like I have no idea how I got from A to B. Like I'll be home and think "Let's take out the trash". Then in what feels like 3 seconds later I'm suddenly walking the stairs up to my flat and I realize "How did I get here? Where do I come from? Why am I out of the house? Why am I dressed in black?" I look at my watch and realize I have no idea what I've been doing for the last 20 minutes. Did I just suddenly teleport myself to these stairs? For what reason?
I have no recollection of taking out the trash, but I will remember that moment at home when I decided to do it. So that's how I know why I was out of the house. I only remember the decision, but not the physical experience of 20 minutes doing the thing.
Happens all the time. I'll wake up in the morning for work, and when I'm sitting at my chair at work I suddenly realize "How did I get here? Did I walk? Did I drive? If I walked... what path did I take? The park or the school street?" and I literally can't remember how I got from being home to being at work 1.5 hours later. So I will have a lagoon of 1.5 hours.

All of those lagoons are me daydreaming and my body doing stuff on its own on autopilot.

It scares me sometimes because I fear that one day I will space out and something really serious will happen physically, like I'll be run over by a car or something.
I also find myself spacing out inside buildings while walking in corridors and my body BOOM against a wall. The impact wakes me up. Luckily, I'm a loner and not many people see me do that. But go ask my ex-friends and ex-bfs, they have witnessed me walk into walls for no reason. Some of them think it's hilarious, some of them think I'm literally dumb. I think neither, it's more frustration that I can't control it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes! This happens too much for me. I try very hard to be present when I need to interact with another, especially at work. My default mode is to live in my head and unaware of my surrounding. So when I do focus on the environment for a long time, I am very tired by the end of the day. So, weekends without people are a must for me to function as a pleasant person.

I am directionally-challenged, too. haha. I cannot live without GPS...

I have too many examples as well, but extremely similar to previous posts.

Ah, lalaland... my favorite place to be...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ooh goodness, this is something I know all too well with my INFP! ♡♡

There's so many moments where he spaces out -- I call him my "astronaut" -- and will appear as though he completely forgets where he is and what he's doing! It makes me worry just a bit how out-of-it he gets, though I think it insults him whenever I tap him or say something to get him out of it;; I used to feel second-hand embarrassment whenever someone is talking to him and he is just totally on another planet, but have been learning that this is just the way he is and it can't always be helped!

If I can be honest? I think it's a very precious habit of his. I worry that sometimes me teasing him or bringing it up makes him feel self-conscious, but I think it's too adorable. My little ditzy space-case. ♡♡

Get yourselves an Se-user. We'll help to navigate and interact with the world for you, and keep you out of harm's way! 🐙

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also believe I am most of the time in another dimension, not so long time ago I wanted to be more present and feel with intensity the life around me, the objects, the sounds, nature... I try to meditate, sometimes I succeed being more present and I have to say I feel relieved for a moment, but it doesn't last so much ^^

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,493 Posts
It makes me worry just a bit how out-of-it he gets, though I think it insults him whenever I tap him or say something to get him out of it;; I used to feel second-hand embarrassment whenever someone is talking to him and he is just totally on another planet, but have been learning that this is just the way he is and it can't always be helped!
It's our "thinking mode"! But, it takes a lot of focus, so we can't really be in two places at once (present and non-present). We usually have a lot to ponder at any given time, and about any given thing. Don't worry about him, though. :) It just takes a bit of time to "reboot" our active mode.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,320 Posts
I totally relate! I had to giggle at your posts @entheos and @Sily because I've done the same sort of things! It's just so natural to slip into my head, I can enjoy moments of really taking in sensations around me but often have trouble staying externally focused for long even when I want to - like when I get a new CD I want to listen to. Much of what I do is done on autopilot while thinking about other things, somehow actual activities just don't captivate me enough much of the time. There are too many other things to be thinking about I guess. Sometimes I'm quite aware of what I'm thinking of as opposed to what I'm doing, other times yeah... I can't even remember whatever train of thought I was following after getting jarred out of it.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Unaware of the word because INFPs have Se as a blindspot in our function stack.

I walked past a woman at work while it was raining and I had an umbrella, I didn't even realize I could of offered her some rain-covering to her car until I got to mine, then I was like, damn I guess that was kind of rude Lol.

Ne can sometimes mimic Se, but it's also the thing that makes us get lost in our heads lol.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I love you all after this. I never saw so much writing on a universal INFP experience!
"Running on autopilot."
I used the exact words to describe it to others!

This is now my favorite thread (where before it was You know you're INFP when...)

Worse than being in LaLa Land is when I go with a completely wrong interpretation of the situation because my mind gets on one incorrect idea and runs with it. Like when I mistook a blonde hostess in a restaurant to be my online date. She certainly appreciated me when I greeted her with a hug, kiss, and "good to see you".

·
Registered
139 Posts

There's so many moments where he spaces out -- I call him my "astronaut" -- and will appear as though he completely forgets where he is and what he's doing! It makes me worry just a bit how out-of-it he gets, though I think it insults him whenever I tap him or say something to get him out of it;; I used to feel second-hand embarrassment whenever someone is talking to him and he is just totally on another planet, but have been learning that this is just the way he is and it can't always be helped!

If I can be honest? I think it's a very precious habit of his. I worry that sometimes me teasing him or bringing it up makes him feel self-conscious, but I think it's too adorable. My little ditzy space-case. ♡♡

Get yourselves an Se-user. We'll help to navigate and interact with the world for you, and keep you out of harm's way! 🐙
Lol I second this. I remember walking my dog with my estp big brother when I was little. I'd start spacing out and he'd always guard me from traffic by pushing me to the side of the road or placing himself between me and the traffic haha.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Far as I'm concerned there is little relevance between the between the inner and outer. One and the other reflect the other and the one, so, I do what I can to keep the reflection clean of impurities and falsehoods, rather than dwelling on the apparent, supplanting the ideal of the inner so it takes fruition with the outer just as I take those golden moments of the outer and harbor them within.

Ideal, anyway.

My inner world is fucky atm which I'm working on. Tho, largely I remain aware of what goes on outside of my own inward narrative. I make a point of taking that aspect viewing it objectively with a relish of that subjective golden standard. I'm careful to analyze my conduct to others, family especially, such as why I've acted as I have so on so forth. Much as I like to claim to change for the better it remains an exercise until that crucial step of bring that out to manifest yields itself to me.

Through it all I'm still waiting to live and interact.
It's a special kind of agony to remain mote observer.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I love you all after this. I never saw so much writing on a universal INFP experience!
"Running on autopilot."
I used the exact words to describe it to others!

This is now my favorite thread (where before it was You know you're INFP when...)

Worse than being in LaLa Land is when I go with a completely wrong interpretation of the situation because my mind gets on one incorrect idea and runs with it. Like when I mistook a blonde hostess in a restaurant to be my online date. She certainly appreciated me when I greeted her with a hug, kiss, and "good to see you".
\

LOL are you serious?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
@Lord Pixel

Yes. Its one of my favorite online dating memories. Online dating is not for the faint of heart.
I was supposed to meet my date at the restaurant. I couldn't get a hold of my date on the cell phone. When I walked into the restaurant, I noticed a blonde standing at the bar and she stood straighter as she looked intently at me. She then made her way right towards me.

The hostess said I made her night and was trying very hard to place me when I greeted her so "warmly".

I was the one to say, "You're not my date, are you? Well, then who are you?"
She said, "I'm the hostess I've come to seat you".
That was one possibilty that didn't cross my mind.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@UpClosePersonal I had a very similar experience to the one you described just a few days ago. I was on a Psy. Ed. field trip and on the form for the trip it said that my 2 main Psy. Ed teachers would come plus the person who teaches yoga. She had not been able to be at school on Monday during the time yoga was scheduled, so it was cancelled that day. On Wednesday when I got to the camp ground area where the field trip was scheduled on my 2 main Psy. Ed teachers were standing net to this lady that gave me a pass for the area. I asked her are you the (insert name of yoga teacher here)'s replacement. One of my main teachers then told me she was a lady who worked for the park. I even had a full night of sleep that night, which I don't always get. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

Get yourselves an Se-user. We'll help to navigate and interact with the world for you, and keep you out of harm's way!
L
m
a
o

Your posts...they're just the greatest

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
@Lord Pixel

Yes. Its one of my favorite online dating memories. Online dating is not for the faint of heart.
I was supposed to meet my date at the restaurant. I couldn't get a hold of my date on the cell phone. When I walked into the restaurant, I noticed a blonde standing at the bar and she stood straighter as she looked intently at me. She then made her way right towards me.

The hostess said I made her night and was trying very hard to place me when I greeted her so "warmly".

I was the one to say, "You're not my date, are you? Well, then who are you?"
She said, "I'm the hostess I've come to seat you".
That was one possibilty that didn't cross my mind.
I'm dead!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts