Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often times I will do more thinking than observing, I wind up filling in blanks and coming to the wrong conclusions. Other INFPs I have related to express similar problems in discerning between reality and fantasy.
Personally, it has come to the point where it is affecting my personal relationships with people negatively.

I'm in desperate need of advice if you have any.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Often times I will do more thinking than observing, I wind up filling in blanks and coming to the wrong conclusions. Other INFPs I have related to express similar problems in discerning between reality and fantasy.
Personally, it has come to the point where it is affecting my personal relationships with people negatively.

i used to assume so much and looking back i often was just trying to create a positive result(in my head).i guess i just wanted to hold onto the idea things would turn our good if i wanted them to. i just kinda would see the little positive signs and i'd blow them up , even know i often say"they said it wit words"so that thy knowi 'm not just assuming. after a series of emotionally painful reality checks i just learned not to trust my intutition at all for awhile. gradually i'm learning to apply it sometimes but i still always try to check if my intution is right. i guess to some it all up you have to take the time to see how good your intution is, and use it second, after you can asses it rationally. i'm not sure if this helps but good luck!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts

Well, to me it sounds like you just think too much; kind of like I do when I'm in a slump, or just feeling stressed with no emotional outlet (buildup and over thought to cause one emotional roller coaster ride of emptiness and falling glass). I forget where I saw it, but I recall a quote.

elaborating is a type of pollution.

Reactions: PorlockVisitor

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Let those you love the most know that your reality sense is zero. Walk into every situation with a clear mind and no expectation or prejudice. Let it all be a movie, an experience, let the story move you forward and enjoy the adventure that unfolds before you. :3

And should you crash and burn and still find no less painful way, go see a psychiatrist.

Reactions: PorlockVisitor

·
Banned
4,508 Posts

What is the personal relationship thing about? What causes it to affect your relationship? For me it's time management but I was curious about yours.

·
Registered
444 Posts

I idealize my friends to no end. I have experiences with them in my imagination and dreams all the time. So I have unrealistic expectations of them way to often. luckily I also rarely show/tell them that they didn't live up to my ideologies.

it does get to me sometimes though. I feel let down or just down in general when that happens. but luckily most of my buddies in real life rock so they always make me feel better even if they don't know it.

maybe you just need to realize that you idealize like me and that few if anyone will ever live up to them. That helps me. Sorry i can't give better advice. hope you work through it:happy:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Could you be more specific? I do know what you mean, but I don't know how to go about explaining how I deal with it in relation to you without a bit more detail.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Sorry if there are some assumptions on my part mysterysolved...

Firstly, evidently you are aware there is an issue, and self awareness is always the key to taking control of a situation. And that's what you need to do right now, right?

I see that you are a four. E4 has an inclination to withdraw especially during stress (which is going to be compounded by introversion). Are you under stress (from the external and/or internal) right now M.S?

You may need to go back and look at the cause and effects leading up to where you are now. How did you reach this point and why? what are your general tendencies of coping with stress and why have you chosen this path? is it because it is effective? or is it because it feels safe?

e4s' have a tendency to escape into their fantasies and relive and highten emotions, while e5s' escape into their ideas. All of it involves withdrawing into the mind. When you do this, it's like rejecting the external. A fight or flight mechanism. It feels safer to exist in your mind, because there's something happening in the external that's threatening. If you become too much in your head, you might fall into the trap of a fi+si loop. And you can see that these both are introverted functions. You might rely on taking too much information from the inside, and also judging it from the inside. There's no external information or judgment channeling through. There's a fundamental imbalance... because relying too much on the inside leads to a great disconnect between the internal and external. And even though you need the balance, you can't obtain it because the external feels unsafe.

I think breaking the cycle is an individual battle. But what I would advise, is to stay attached to the external in some shape or form. Don't let yourself stray too far away from the outside. Keep in contact with trusted people. Ask for their feedback. See a counselor and ask for their feedback if you don't have anyone. Stay involved with society in some shape or form. Volunteer, work, or regularly keep up with the news and world events. Don't completely withdraw from everything for too long. Keep your channels of extroverted perception information open. Take baby steps so it doesn't send you into shock. Little steps at a time.

The simplest exercise for Ne would be brainstorming. Be aware of your thoughts. If you catch yourself judging too quickly, tell yourself "no" and keep yourself open to new information. Consider all the possibilities.

If there's a deeper problem, it's best to let someone know. If you become too detached from reality, sometimes you need help to get through it. A lot of people have been in this situation :) and i'm sure there's people out there who would be willing to help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts