Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody observe some likenesses that they have in comparison to their parents or grandparents? Or any relative. My grandpa and great grandpa might have been more like me than I've imagined.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
:frustrating: I got my mom's eyes and my dad's lips, and reportedly a big ass from the Irish side of the family. Other than that, there is no resemblance between me and anyone else in my family that I know of.

My brother looks almost exactly the same as my dad did growing up. My (female) cousin looks just like her mother did as a younger woman.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Not really. I look adopted >.<

·
Registered
16 Posts
The older I get the more the "look alike - act alike". Everytime I go by the mirror now I say "Hi mom". Walk like her, sound like her, personality type very close. Those DNA strings are powerful.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Yup, especially in regards to humor and personality. Oh, and I found some pictures of my dad closer to my age and it's quite frightening.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I look a bit like my Mom and Dad, but it's also very obvious that I'm not 100% white. When I was living out west MANY people assumed I was part native-American, despite the blue eyes. :happy: Family reunions are a little awkward because all of my extended family looks Scotch-Irish. I stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm a bit of an outlier. I'm the only one in my family with jet-black hair (No, not 'darkest brown', blaaaaack). I have about six inches of height on my mom and four on my dad. I have the height and lithe build of my paternal grandfather, though he's 90-something and STILL has red hair.

I look quite a bit like my dad, getting my flanged wingnut ears from that side. I have my mom's meaty square nose (As long as it is wide), which is a little too big for my narrow face, and I have her narrow chin. I'm built kinda like a stretched-out version of my dad (Grandfather's height, dad's proportions).

My wife has said it's downright weird how similar my dad and I are in voice, mannerisms, intonation, and humor.

This reminds me of a bit of an aside... Individually, my dad and I are quiet observant movie-watchers. Get us together, and you can't watch the damn thing. We'll fire off one-liners, incessantly one-upping one another, and be laughing our asses off less than halfway through the film. Doesn't matter what the hell it is. We could probably watch Saving Private Ryan or some such and be weeping tears of mirth, "BWAHAHAHAH!!"

We also both reach this weird critical mass of laughing so hard we can't breath. Just that open mouthed grinning hiss of amusement. Again, a problem with getting us together. One of us will hit that point, "Hrnk.......", with the potential for drooling, the other will see it and get set off, and then we're both laughing at how stupid one another look -- It's a terrible feedback loop.

Also, don't take us to restaurants.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I do not look like either of my parents. I may share mannerisms with them. I'm physically built like my mother and I act like my father.
But looks, I'm sort of alone. My younger brother and I look related at least. Most of my family looks white. Light hair and blue/green eyes.

I look spanish, and my grandfather was catalunyian. Looking at pictures of him when he was younger, it's obvious where my younger brother and I got our horse faces from.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I look a LOT like my uncle. He has curly hair, is tall and skinny, and has freckles. I'm most like him, (Except for blonde hair.) However, in terms of personality. I'm mostly a combination of my Mom and Dad. (Obviously)

·
Banned
61 Posts
Well, for one my Aunt and my cousin look a lot alike - except my cousin is a guy which is sort of unusual. Don't get me wrong, my cousin is quite masculine, but as a teen he looked a lot like my Aunt when she was younger. They both have a round, somewhat narrow jaw and the same crinkles around their eyes when they smile.

On the other hand, I look similar to my dad...even though I am a girl. Compared to my twin sister and my mother, my dad and I both have longer face shapes and more similar eyes. My mother and my sister both have wider faces and share a small bump on the bridge of their noses. Overall, I think my sister and I are a blend of our parents.

What's really awesome, in my opinion, is that both my twin sister and I have one ear from our mom (our right ear) and one ear from my dad (our left ear). We can tell because our dad's ear is sort of flattened at the top while our mom's ear is round. No one notices though, that my ears have two different shapes. :laughing:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have had people confuse me with my father. 3 times in one day we were thought to be brothers, his fiancee thought his high school picture was me, and family sometimes thought I was him when I answered his phone.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I see traces of my great-grandmother in me, which is unsettling because she was a rather large woman. I only know her through photographs, but I can see her in myself in the profile of my face, I guess I have the same bone structure. It's also why I can see my maternal grandfather in my face sometimes.

The good news is that my great-aunt (the great-grandmother's daughter and grandfather's sister) was considered a very attractive woman, and also had this look.

People always seem to think what is opposite or different than what they are is more attractive, though. I noticed this with my ESFJ friend. I prefer the way her "light" children look, I think her son and oldest daughter are beautiful people, but she considers her "darker" middle daughter the beauty of her four children; it is obvious that she thinks this because her "light" children also look a little too much like her in the face.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I've been confused for my mother a few times.
It doesn't help that we're pretty similar in age.
Yeah, I have my mother's almost exact build. She also has "the profile."

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Oh I've got a strange one. When my mom was 5 or so, she tried to take a stuffed bunny out of an old style clothes dryer, the ones with the rollers, and got her hands stuck. She ended up breaking the last joint on all her fingertips, and they never set properly, so they're now crooked. I was born with straight fingers, but when I was 5 or 6, my finger slowly started getting crooked, so now I have my fingertips bent at the last joint in the exact same way as hers.

Also, everyone in my family has a particular lip shape. Some of us have thicker or thinner lips, but the same shape. It's hard to explain, but yeah.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts